Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3

That's a strange way of saying that it's cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Think of Stand powers like a DVD player.

The World is the pause button, Bites the Dust is rewind, King Crimson is skip scene, Made in Heaven is fast forward, and D4C is switching one DVD for another.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Part 5 has a lot of really drat good fights, actually. Off the top of my head, the Train Battle, White Album, Bruno vs. King Crimson, King Crimson vs. Metallica and Oasis and Green Day are all hella sick and up there among the best JoJo fights of them all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose it's 55 years since he was awakened from the pillar.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Until Gold Experience Requiem shows up with its Stand power of "nope, nuh uh, you cant' do anything to me"

When you think about it, it's actually pretty funny the the most broken Stand power ever is literally the final argument of a petulent child throwing a tantrum while playing pretend.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

OK, yeah, it's totally longer than a day. I guess if the cancer or disease was caught early enough, he could heal it.

Josuke could totally cure cancer by ripping the tumors out of someone's body with Crazy Diamond and then instantly fixing them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Araki posted:

I'm really into "Complete Illustrated Guide to _____" - Style Books, so whenever they release one (Whether it's a picture book of dinosaurs or a dictionary of movie stars), I buy it immediately.
I just get drawn into the little details, like hometowns, birthdates, favorite foods... and I end up reading them over and over.
Lately, the two I've been enjoying the most are "The Complete Supermodel Catalog" and "Cats of the World". They're just both so graceful!

Hey, wait a minute, this sounds familiar somehow.

:staredog:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Part 5 has a scene where Giorno shoots a dude in the head with a bullet, turns it into a beetle that starts eating the dude's brain and then follows that poo poo up with four double spreads worth of beatdown.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody who says Part 5 is bad is wrong on every level.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

David D. Davidson posted:

Also if Holly ever asked her father how he and her mother met he would have to recount the entirety of Battle Tendency. Koichi got off kind of easy if you think about it that way.

hoobajoo posted:

Dude, if my answer to "so how did you two meet?" was "I LAUNCHED AN AZTEC DOUBLE VAMPIRE INTO SPACE", I wouldn't trade that for anything.

"Well Holly, it started with the time that I was peeking at your naked grandmother and then my best buddy and I had to fist your mother at the same time to get an Aztec Doublevampire out of her"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of which, goddrat was Angelo's defeat really loving dark. Josuke can do some real hosed up stuff with Crazy Diamond if he sets his mind to it.

Hey now, Crazy Diamond totes has the kindest Stand ability.

Also if any motherfucker watched the latest episode and their enjoyment of it was somehow diminished because the road roller didn't explode or because there wasn't a ten second clip of Josuke at the end or whatever you really need to take a deep breath and then punch yourself in the face until you've knocked the disease out of your brain.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

jolyne whines about getting caught wanking in front of a guard?

lousy way to introduce a protagonist, araki....

Son, you better not be poo poo-talking the best JoJo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Florida Woman Encounters Urban Legend, Sets Herself On Fire.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

Part 6 is pretty much that.

Jolyne Owns.

FirstAidKite posted:

Part 6 is just hardcore all around. Jolyne really knows how to take a hit.

While we're at it:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Is it bad that I can't tell what happened? :ohdear: Did Jolene set herself on fire?

Yup, that's what she needed the lighter for.

Also spoilers, but this is not the craziest thing she does in order to turn the tables on someone. Jolyne owns.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I've started reading Diamond is Unbreakable, and you guys are absolutely right. There's a TON of worldbuilding going on. The difference in the way the setting is handled is like night and day. I'm gonna have to make a post comparing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with itself.

Yeah, it's pretty darn neat isn't it? Araki more or less keeps reinventing the series as he goes along and it does a wonderful job of keeping JoJo from turning stale.

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 7 is probably my (and a ton of other people's) favorite part. You can really see, reading it, how Araki's changed and matured over the years, distilling the best parts of his previous efforts into one harmonious whole, or almost. Then you turn the page and a character who was short and fat before is now tall and built because thirty years later Araki's still capable of changing his mind.

Hey now, that's legit. Finding Jesus totally can change a man.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Davinci posted:

I'm still reading part 6, and as such, haven't gotten to parts 7 or 8, and I'm reading these posts and part 8 sounds hosed up and I can't wait to get to it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne is basically the Terminator in a twentysomething-year-old woman's body. She just doesn't go down no matter what and it's fantastic.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

My favorite part re: Jolyne is that shes consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs... ... ... ...except when shes under the influence of Jail House Lock, then Araki starts drawing her much more conventionally attractive. Maybe Arakis into confused, easily exploitable women.

Actually I'd say that she's consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs except when she's being a big ol' goof. It's just that Jail House Lock is like 80-90% Jolyne being a big ol' goof.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

All JoJos are conventionally attractive as hell. They're gorgeous.

Jolyne isn't a "you saw my panties! kyaaaaa!" style character though and it owns and anyone (no one here, obviously) who dislikes that can gently caress off.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

As an aside from her being purposefully out of character for that fight, how do you complain to someone that they say your panties if you didn't wear them?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

One thing I've noticed, I dunno if it's an evolution of something I missed out on in Part 5 that was Araki's style developing (I think not though) is that Jolyne really comes across like she actually knows how to fight, in a way previous Jotaro and Josuke didn't. Jotaro mostly just stood by and let his stand do the punching, occasionally throwing a few ORAs using his actual hands occasionally, Josuke is the same (except with DORA). Jolyne, however, as well as being a lot more kick heavy, seems to stand in actual martial arts stances, and does a lot more of just outright hitting someone rather than having Stone Free do everything (though she lets it get in a few ORAs here and there). Jolyne gets her hands dirty (also turned inside out).

Both Jotaro and Josuke tried to look like delinquents but were total softies on the inside. Jolyne is a punk for real.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like how Annasui keeps getting shot down by increasignly bizarre circumstances.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

So I thought Valentine had lost some weight, but I figured it must be my imagination... then there is this panel where Valentine is walking away from Lucy and Araki draws attention to the loud clacking noise his shoes make on the floor, and I remember that Scarlet says that the reason she fell in love with him was because he never made a single sound when he walked anywhere, no matter what. Something is definitely up here. All in all, I think the movement to a monthly format, and another magazine I guess, is good because this kind of subtle thing just isn't something you often see in normal shounen without a character specifically calling it out to make sure you notice.

Yeah the dude just took off his shirt and he's totally cut. I'd have said it's the corpse parts, but this very scene established he's keeping them in the next room. I guess it could be an impostor? That'd be a nice parallel, with Lucy doing the same thing, but that doesn't explain why the old fat Valentine had the same goal. Gah.

Feast your eyes on the glory that is Buffentine.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How popular is Jojo in Japan? Like the entire series overall. Is it held in high regard?

It's one of Shueisha's top ten best-sellers, so it's pretty dang popular. Also, as mentioned, it has been influential as all hell.

Rodyle posted:

I am a huge, huge baby about bad scans these days, so I think I will set 5 and 6 aside until they're all patched up then.

The scans for part 6 are good, and besides that skipping parts is for uncool people.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne is extremely petty. This is one of the things that makes her great.

I mean, seriously, if you didn't find her splitting Romeo's tongue just because to be the funniest poo poo I don't even want to know what's wrong with you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As far as I've been able to figure it out KC's power is basically equivalent to teleporting everything in the universe to where it would be in X seconds.This works for me and I don't question it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You thought EA was responsible for these lovely games that you bought, but it was I, Dio!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda spitballing it here, but I'd say that Man in the Mirror is about a third of the way in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CubeTheory posted:

Hey guys, I really liked the JoJo anime, so I just marathoned up the the end of part six over the last two weeks.

To the end of part of six.

end of six

what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TwT69i1lU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CubeTheory posted:

Anyone wanna try and explain to me the end of part 6.

I'd understand if you didn't.

Imagíne six JoJo's at the edge of a cliff

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

Maybe not, since things can still kind of move during the stops if the momentum behind them is strong enough. If Dio can throw knives a few feet, then Earth probably rotates as normal.

No, things can move if DIO moves them. Everything else freezes no matter how much momentum they have.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They better have Speedwagon withdraw coolly or this dub is dead to me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gappy's fighting style is great. Kinda bummed about how fast the Aphex twins went down though, they were kinda cool.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I had almost forgotten how goddamn good the Train Battle is, but it's all coming back now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Those as well as King Crimson vs. Metallica would own hard animated, yes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Diego is an rear end in a top hat, but to be fair he's no worse than Johnny.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Pucci's problem is he's pretty sober and underspoken guy in a series famous for its insanely fabulous scenery chewing hams. He's actually a pretty effective villain, but he's never going to stick in people's minds the same way as Dio 'meme' Brando or the guy who said 'what a beautiful duwang' with the really sick tie. I think Kars is underrated too though, he's just such an incredible prick, which contrasts with Wamuu's decency and honour really well and once he gets his powerup he's probably as flamboyant as any villain ever is in the series

It says something about a series when the guy who randomly turns people into living record players blasting Händel's Hallalujah Chorus is remembered as the sober and underspoken guy.

Aurain posted:

My favourite part of Pucci's back story is that even though he's a black man, he manages to convince the KKK to kill his white brother for being mixed race. Araki is weird.

He didn't know that the guy he hired was part of the KKK though. Also the KKK wouldn't have considered Wes as white, what with the one-drop rule and all, whereas they would have considered Pucci as white enough to deal with, especially when there was good money involved. Honestly Pucci's backstory is surprisingly realistic for a portrayal of race relations in the deep south given that it's in a cartoon made on the other side of the world.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Pillar Men were all pretty boring as character concepts, but the execution of it all made them awesome.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne is the best and coolest, mostly due to how drat tough she is. While being on the recieving end of gruesome injuries and other unpleasant stuff is pretty part and parcel of the Joestar life, the sheer amount of poo poo that life throws at her is just something else. And then she powers through all that without losing a single step. Jolyne's basically the goddamn Terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

giorno doesn't feel like the protagonist

This is because Bruno is the protagonist.