Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

Kurtofan is french, so I imagine s/he'll be able to tell you the quality of the French version.

The parts that are especially bad are going to be the ones that use the worse scans, which currently is everything after Narancia's Aerosmith.

Not to say the JJCA edition is especially good, because I don't know if it is.

It's been a while since I reread it, so I can't remember exactly what's good or bad about it, but I think it's ok for the most part. I find it less memorable than the part 1, 2, 3 and 4 translations, they went through several translators while translating Part V. Buccelati is named Buccelati, but his first name is Blono, which might be controversial, but I don't think it comes up that often, unlike Part VII's Jayro.

It's better than the Part VI translation, which left Yare Yare daze untranslated (even though a perfectly fine translation existed since Part 3...)

I haven't checked the new editions of part 1, 2, 3 (done by the same editor that published/is publishing 5, 6, 7), but I'm not sure I'd like them, considering they use Abdul, AC/DC, Wham and co. Haven't been a fan of the Tonkam translations to be honest, with stuff like Gyro becoming Jayro. It's not just the names, it isn't as memorable, the J'ai Lu translators were better though the overall quality of the edition is way superior to what J'ai Lu cranked out.

The crunchyroll subs are pretty close to what was done in the first edition of part 3 in France.

If you're interested in a particular story I can read it and tell you what I think of the translation, don't really have the time to go through the whole of Part V again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

minoru suzuki posted:

is there any real reason why parts 2, 6, and 7 were released in French? Was it for any particular market?

Maybe my post was unclear but all the parts got released/are being released. The manga market is pretty big in France since the nineties, there are a lot of French publishing houses, some independents like Kana (Naruto, Monster, Death Note, Shaman King, Yugioh etc...), some attached to a pre-existing publishing house like Glénat (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin etc...). That's a lot of competition and smaller publishing houses kind of have to go for more obscure titles.

That's where J'ai Lu (I Have Read) comes in, they are a publishing house funded in the fifties and decided they wanted some of that manga action. They decided to go for some famous names like Captain Tsubasa (or Olive and Tom as they are known in France) and also stuff popular in Japan, but virtually unknown in France, like Jojo (I only knew of it thanks to the PS1 game, I actually found out Jojo was a manga by browsing the aisles of the manga section of the FNAC). So they started publishing Jojo, with very little marketing, and like many other J'ai Lu manga publications, bombed hard. J'ai Lu stopped publishing Jojo after Part IV (as an aside, it's not uncommon for less established manga publisher to stop publishing a series before it's over, it's very competitive, at least Jojo is divided in parts).
J'ai Lu actually stopped publishing mangas in 2006, a year and a half after they ended their Jojo run. I wonder if that makes my J'ai Lu editions collector.

A couple of years later, Tonkam an independent publisher that generally goes for more cult titles and with a pretty good reputation (I liked their Hikaru no Go publication) picked up the series because of its cult series status.

They've released Golden Wind, Stone Ocean, and it must have done reasonably well with proper marketing, because not only have they picked up Steel Ball Run, but also decided to republish Stardust Crusaders, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency (in that order). Now they're about to republish Diamond is Unbreakable.

I mean it's not a super popular series, but it's better handled and can thrive a bit more in a pretty competitive market.

Aurain posted:

Oddly, it's quite hard to find anime (other than the obvious ones like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Death Note) anywhere in my area of England. I always like to poke my nose in bookstores to try and see Phantom Blood or SDC and always leave disappointed.

I mainly speak as someone from the region of Paris. The selection can be pretty dire in some French provinces.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think I know what track they're going to play during Jotaro's self induced cardiac arrest.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
1) araki doesn't care

2) No.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It doesn't look like the same uniform either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Manipulating the Jojo timeline,the villain will drop everyone back to part IV, allowing Gappy to save young Josuke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

standard owl posted:

I wonder if they'll end the episode on the split-second before Kakyoin gets World-punched to psych out anime-only viewers like they did with Polnareff.

e: maybe not since the last episode preview was basically "yeah he's totally dead"

Considering that will happen shortly after the episode begins, I doubt it. if they wanted to do it, they should have done it at the end of last episode, but that was too much content.

My guess would be the hand twitching.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

David cut that.

Wow.

What? the Final splash on a minaret? the dead cat? the skullpunch? that could be a lot of things.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

Walk like an Egyptian as they cross the street.
Ay DIO, what's good.

Is this a reference to something? Or is it a weird fansub thing?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the English line for the Erina callback?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bad Seafood posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet but I think I saw a screenshot to the effect of "I'll take that body back...for grandma Erina."

Oh I meant Dio's insult. In the French version he called her a "bouseuse", something like hick or hillbilly, country people.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bonewitch posted:

He calls her a country girl iirc

edit:

Thanks, I love that exchange. It feels like it should have been in the manga.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah Part V has a strong start, but squander it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember that time giorno showed how cool he was by drinking abbacchio's piss

Good times
There's a lot of piss and poo poo in jojo, when you think about it.

he's not even the first character to drink piss.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The capcom game took the faces from those scenes in the manga.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seriously though, who the hell is Gokuraku-kun?

What volume is this?

edit: it just says it's a character from a famous manga.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 10, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

a cartoon duck posted:

you don't know how much i love this panel of dio and pucci in bed, just chillin, readin books

is this pre or post coitus.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dio has already so much lines to go through, I guess this one got dropped.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some early episodes had some really great animation like the ebony devil fight, I guess that's the problem with long running series with a small budget.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wonder if the middling sales of the first season meant they got a budget reduction.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Star Platinum posted:

Aw man, why would they cut DIO's checkmate line? :(

To elaborate on that, I kind of wish they kept that line and drop some of the other metaphors that happen all throughout the story (they did drop that one and the one where Dio says "maybe all streets look the same to a traveler like yourself") but sometimes it felt Koyasu spoke super fast to go through all that dialogue.

I don't remember any other point in Jojo where one third of the dialogue is metaphors.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DamnGlitch posted:

This has nothing to do with "budget" right now this is all time crunch issues imo.

Yeah that's what someone said to me, I wonder why they hosed that up this season.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

This really isn't how anime budgets work, and unless the scheduling was an absolute unmitigated disaster, production for the second season of SC would've already been well underway before sales numbers for the first ever came out. Fact of the matter is, David's a pretty small studio and have never done a four cour series before, they were probably ill-prepared for how taxing a project that large can be, even with the split cour format.

That makes sense, what they're doing is pretty good so I'm hoping they follow up with Part IV.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 13, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Uznare posted:

you're loving retarded.

Hey I never said I knew anything about how anime was made, just asking questions

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 13, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Silentman0 posted:

Hey, I just wanted to jump into this thread quickly to ask a question without getting any spoilers past part 5.

Did Araki forget to make Josuke be able to time travel? I've never seen a story writer forget his own foreshadowing before.

It never was time travel foreshadowing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's only because they can't accept that Joseph is a doofus.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What a great episode, holy poo poo.

No teaser isn't surprising, Part III didn't segue into Part IV originally either.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What is it (blocked in my country).

edit: is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvrlgvjdBlY

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mangakas love puns. bad puns.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

I only read jojolion until I think they defeated the guy in the room above. How far on has it got since then? I'm mostly thinking about just waiting until its finished and reading it all in one go

I'm with you, I can't really follow month to month like that. I generally wait six months at least before picking it back up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Uh, PB/BT and season 1 of SC are on amazon video? (for a big price), what's going on...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ICFK1Q?ref_=atv_dp_season_select_s1

PB/BT are dubbed, not SC 1.

edit: this twitter account has vines of some of the voices https://twitter.com/silencedrowns/media

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 1, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You utter fool!!! German Science is the finest in the world!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beef Chief posted:

The SC dub is not out, the first season of it is on Amazon subbed

is it the commercial version without the censorship?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nah, I don't think so. You can tell if it's bluray as early as seeing the coach driver impaled on the rocks without censorship.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's Awaken my masters?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Weird that whoever made that video used the old video that's still censored.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Have they redone the dubs for the first three episodes of stardust?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who cares about Irene and co? They're obviously just there to say "it's a new universe!".

They're not relevant at all.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 18, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Irene is a name swapped Jolyne, I would hope Araki had better ideas if he did another girl Jojo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Interesting!
People are going off of an interview with Araki about All-Star Battle where he referred to it as a parallel universe (referring to the two Josukes existing in parallel universes). Looks like he either changed his mind by the time Jojolion came around or it's just another thing he forgot about.

I think it's obvious the interview from way back he started sbr isn't really relevant with what we see in jojolion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I would think that "trapped forever" is a fate worse than death.