Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Race Realists posted:

please tell me this is real, so i can unironically have hope that we'll get some sort of universe reset and we can get jolyne back :smith:
unfortunately not. Here's the real version.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly a way to cure him might be if they had Alessi de-age him back 11 years.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Remember that time Giorno used Gold Experience to turn his tooth into a water-absorbing jellyfish when Abbacchio tried to give him the real "gold experience?"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I need to reread Jojolion when it's all done.

Can someone please remind me what happened in recent issues which made the things Karera said or did about 1 year ago impossible? Did they recently mention they never actually knew Karera or something?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Have you guys ever considered that the Pillar Men were the Queens of the Stone Age?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Tonio's spaghetti alla puttanesca doesn't have any capers in it. Trash.
I grew up having caprese salad etc. fairly often, and I found the story explaining the concept of mozzarella cheese to Japanese viewers, who at least in the early 90s might not have known much about it.

Now I need to hear Pizza Mozzarella sung on the show. Only about ~5 years for that?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 4, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What would have happened if Jolyne carried Versace up a hill and made him drink from a spring?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Exactly what we said about the baby is what he said about the baby.

Elaborate.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If Survivor got stabbed by the arrow, or perhaps if it somehow reached Heaven like C-Moon or The World, would it just have the same effect but have infinite range and be called Worldstar?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Xibanya posted:

that kind of points to another bummer about all the content that used to be essays on websites becoming longass videos. Diagrams and interactive poo poo work best in the web essay format.

Anyway a friend did some digging and found (unsurprisingly) that this doofus plagiarized virtually all his content, so we've let the other content creators know they've been ripped off, and hopefully that'll reach critical mass for taking this loser down.

Please take down VaatiVidya too.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Every time I close my eyes on Thursday, I wake up on Friday feeling so horny for more JoJo.

(Hey should I catch up to Jojolion? I stopped reading around where the guy who lives out of a broken ski lift teaches them how to make tiramisu in such intricate detail that anyone reading is fully equipped to make it themselves.
It was good, I just felt like I’d wait a while to read it in a big chunk. From all the redacted text in seeing, I take it I should totally catch up?)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 19, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Tower of Grey.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The other day someone was talking about the absolute worst name substitution being in part 6. Which one do you mean?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How the hell is everyone talking about Underworld and leaving out how the user’s backstory is literally just “he’s Stanley Yelnats from Holes.” That’s what I look forward to seeing in the anime thread in several years. And then we can all swoop up in and remind them this was written before the movie came out so Araki has to have just been reading American young adult literature.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I love the characters and fights of part 6 so much. I love everything about part 6 except the actual main plot. The Green Dio-homunculus and the random magic words that Dio and Enya apparently knew about all along just don’t gel with me. And I’m sorry, I but I can’t accept that Dio’s master plan is to Scratch the universe to create a new iteration that’s basically the same, except now nobody experiences those weird bouts of ennui?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Maybe he found out the 14 magic words from the KKK guys.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah, his body should still be in Japan after Johnny brought it here and the equivalent exchange stuff with the Rokokaka seems kind of similar to what the body was doing in Part 7 on a much smaller scale.

I just want my friend Jesus to give out more advice.

Wasn't the corpse also the source of the stand in the tree on Shakedown Street?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

goth smoking cloves posted:

Part 9 should be a retelling of the new testament starring Jesus and the Apostle John Joestar

You don't even need it to be an apostle. 1st century Jews had patronymic names, and "Jesus" is just "Yeshua" (Joshua) but subject to linguistic drift and transliterated between Greek and Latin etc. Jesus' actual name would have probably "Joshua ben-Josef," or "Joshua, son of Joseph."

I'm positive if someone explained this to Araki he'd be like, "cool, alright. Jesus is a Jojo now."

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What nationality were the bad Part 5 translators? Chinese? I know they were working from Chinese raws. And for that matter what about the Duwang guy? Also Chinese?

And "not Duwang" isn't praise when Duwang is better in spite of the bad grammar and ugly typesetting. You can actually get a feel for the characters in Duwang. I only read the bad part 5, and this anime is only now showing me why Japanese people GioGio, whom I previously considered to be a emotionless wooden board.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I loved how in part 3 Hanged Man attacks Polnareff from a mirror, and Kakyoin needs to explain to him how there isn't some magical backwards-world inside of a mirror, and it's just a shiny surface that reflects light, so clearly Hanged Man is made of photons.
But then in Part 5 Araki decides, gently caress it , I want to make a stand that transports you to the magical mirror dimension.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

I like when they explained that Hanged Man moves at the speed of light yet Polnareff was still able to cut him.

To be fair, he could only hit him at light speed if he knew where he'd be.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 30, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I mean, they ARE Italian gangsters in the year 2001. They're probably not going to be too woke.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What happens to Polnareff at the end of this arc? He's dead, right? People keep saying "he's a turtle," but I thought that everyone's back in their own body, so Coco Jambo is too. So is he just persisting as a ghost inside of the Mr. President room?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Polnareff is dead but he's chillin in a ghost room that lacks a bathroom

Well considering Polnareff's track record with bathrooms, this is probably for the best.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Meme Emulator posted:

Moody Blues is one of my favorite stands and its absolutely in the running for Stands I Want the Most In Real Life. Its number two right behind Crazy Diamond.

I'd want Heaven's Door, but sometimes I feel like what I really need is Hey Ya! :smith:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

This picture is from when Fugo gets got by Soft Machine.

Is that supposed to be corrosion from Purple Haze?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When do they release the soundtracks? I know they release it in parts as the season goes along to nickel and dime fans more, but I really need the dance song they made.

Vocal percussion on a whole 'nother level, coming from my mind!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

Benjamin Ore

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I like how Jotaro got hosed by the Rats as a direct consequence of his character.

An enemy stand shoots Josuke with a weird organic-looking bullet, he goes “ew gross” and deflects it with a frying pan.

An enemy stand shoots scholarly, thoughtful biology student Jotaro with a weird organic-looking bullet, he stops time to dodge it, but then is intrigued by it and decides to just briefly examine it and whoops it’s a horrible dissolving poison that works instantaneously.
I guess Star Platinum should have put on latex gloves to avoid contaminating the specimens, and being contaminated in turn.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It just occurred to me, if Avdol is a fortune teller, but his stand is just a dumb Blaziken chicken that shoots ankh-shaped fire, is he just a huckster who has no actual oracular power? He just happens to hang out with an actual fortune teller who only uses his power to take lewd pictures of his grandfather’s bod.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh yeah how did I forget about Enya, who was so mystical she figured out some retarded bullshit to scratch the universe.

I’m not even like, mad at part 6s magic plot anymore. I just like complaining about it.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 20, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When Enya met a standless Dio and sensed his great destiny, or was overcome with fear and awe at his sexiness and「 G R A V I T Y」or however she described it in that one scene, how did she convince him to let her shoot him with an arrow, because it would give him superpowers, for realsies scout's honor, but no she has no way of knowing what the superpower is.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Dio wouldn't have been able to see Justice. I guess she'd need to make some zombies, and then he'd ask why she's also able to make zombies despite not being a vamp. Without some demonstration of stand power, he isn't just going to let some weird Pakistani lady with hosed up hands shoot him.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Ticket to Ride/Love Train is basically the opposite of “taking on the sins of the world,” which I guess Joshua Josephson did with his stand before he faked his death and went to chill with the Native Americans like the Mormons say.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I want a Requiem/Heaven-Ascended version of Survivor but it’s called World Star

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If they don't end on Rolling Stones like it's supposed to, they're cowards and frauds.

I love Mista's backstory, given how much Pt5 is tied up with the idea of fate. Mista wasn't meant to die, even with 4 dudes shooting at him, so he just...didn't die.

While yes, it’s ~F.A.T.E.~, isn’t that supposed to be Mista subconsciously using Sex Pistols, like how Giorno grew the grass around the mobster, or how Star Platinum was just shoplifting poo poo for Jotaro.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
My favorite bit is how apparently they were just continuously firing on him as he reached forward, snatched the rapist's gun and bullets, loaded them, and then shot everyone.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I think it’s more jarring that the guy Giorno saved doesn’t come up again, since Giorno wants to enter his line of work and you’d think he’d want to ask that dude for a recommendation letter or something. Maybe Giorno would have done that, but then he started hustling at the airport, and (basically) killed Luca, setting off the chain of events that led to him joining the mob.

Maybe the nameless guy wasn’t part of Passione. I forget the exact timeline but maybe Diavolo didn’t control as much action when Giorno was that young, and there was still room for normal-rear end gangsters with no superpowers and conservative clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

All of DIO's kids are pretty overpowered, but my personal favorites of Part 6 are "Jolyne Gets Run Over by the Miami Dolphins" and "Where the gently caress is Mickey".

The best part is how one of Dio's son's backstories is literally just "He's Stanley Yelnats from Holes." And IIRC, this was written BEFORE the Shia LaBeouf movie, so Araki was just casually reading some American young-adult literature and decided to lift a plot element from it.

somepartsareme posted:

my worldview changed forever when i realized that while annasui is freaking out about mickey, he's reading a guidebook for universal studios, not disney

So, what you're saying is, Annasui should be saying "where the gently caress is Shrek!?"

Zerilan posted:

Also in part 6 it felt kind of weird seeing DIO in flashback form just because of how much the way characters are built kinda changed between part 3's huge musclemen to the more "muscular but lithe" body types in later parts.
Eh, you get used to it. It doesn't bother me as much with Dio, since we see Diego in the new style, and he's presumably physically identical to real Dio.

But there are some new-style drawings of old characters that I'm really not a fan of, and I just wish Araki would refrain from drawing now that he's evolved past his 80s brick-shithouse style:

What happened to Star Platinum's gains?

If anyone really should be drawn inhumanly huge like they came straight out of a Tom of Finland sketch, it should be Pillar Men.

Jonathan's fine, but here he kind of reminds me of that skinny kid who wears ill-fitting suits and reviews fast food..