Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked that he had to cut back on the healing powers in part 7 so that they could get their wounds healed up but couldn't fix major stuff like Johnny's legs

Josuke's super heading Johnny's legs just so he can break them again is probably my favorite thing from all star battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I meant in terms of how you get them, there's a bajillion different ways and not really any rhyme or reason to it pre-SBR but in SBR it's all Corpse Parts all the time.

In SBR Gyro gets Ball Breaker by perfecting his spin. Most stands in part 7 are from Jesus but it's still possible to get them other ways.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

IIRC every time I've seen it it's been Star Platinum's The World, like the ability to stop time is called The World and Star Platinum is able to do it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That's like if ZZ transformed a car by saying "Wheel of Fortune: Strength!"
'
I just checked again and it's at least how The Invincible Trio translated it :shrug:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

If we're getting the skull crusher then this episode will almost definitely end with DIO drinking Joseph's blood.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Florida woman tweets work just about as well for part 6 as always sunny titles work for part 4.

FLORIDA WOMAN FIGHTS PLANKTON COLONY

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Florida Woman Flips Off Alligator, Falls Sideways

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Sekkira posted:

I disagree. Because the part is set during a specific time in the 90s. I similarly feel that Stardust Crusaders has a very 80s feel to it because of when it's set. Battle Tendency and Phantom Blood stand out from that IMO, as while they're set in specific times, the story elements don't really seem to touch the plots.

I do think manga translators should put little trivia notes at the end of the chapters explaining certain things like that which isn't common knowledge these days. And if we get it animated, maybe translator notes in a text file accompanying the episode?

I could see them adding in one of those narrator moments where he explains the whole concept right after it happens.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

minoru suzuki posted:

i still dont understand what golden experience requiem did to diavolo. is he stuck in a time loop of dying forever in a different reality/dimension or is it all in diavolo's head making him basically insane?

Don't think too hard about what's actually happening, it makes more sense thematically. Diavolo's whole thing is "ends justify the means", which is represented by his stand being able to remove the means and just keep the ends. So GER defeats him by removing the ends and forcing him to live through the means over and over. I think a requiem stand basically has the power of god so he just kinda does that because it's bullshit strong.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I was rewatching the first opening and noticed that for a few frames the flames in Jonathan's eyes turn black:

it's also coupled with a desaturation effect but I want to believe it's Dark Determination

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

It's about living in the true man's world

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

It doesn't seem that surprising to me, the dude's blood is probably somewhere around 50% testosterone at this point

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I'd guess that the fight with Yotsuyu was the end of the first act. It was climactic and started to resolve some of the mysteries that were set up from the beginning. Since then we've generally been getting more answers than questions and the antagonists have been actively hostile. I'd guess that we get resolution to the central mysteries around the end of the second act and the third act is mostly just fighting whatever organization the rock-people are a part of.

Going off that (pretty shaky) logic, part 8 will go for about 90 chapters which means we're at the halfway point.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I had to reread Planet Waves to remind myself of how brutal it is and it starts with a guard punching another guard in the face so hard the bones pop out of one's fist and the other's cheek gets torn open. It's so brutal it opens with that.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Doc V posted:

I've seen people parroting the whole "SBRverse is not Ireneverse" thing without actually providing any sources for a while now, so I looked it up and, surprise surprise, it's total bullshit.

Excerpt from an interview with Hirohiko Araki published in the "Aomaru Jump" special edition of Shounen Jump in early 2004, translated from a transcript provided by @JOJO (emphasis theirs):

I was vindicated a decade before I even started insisting that they were the same thing!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

John Cena is effectively already a jojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv6V-gFGv-A

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I think Josefumi was a Rock Human, and the reason Josuke likes sleeping under mattresses is because half of his body associates sleeping with being compressed in a rock cocoon. And if this is true then it's pretty impressive that Araki already had all this in mind since chapter 2, considering how he's never felt like a massively "plot stuff out ahead of time" style writer.

Even if he didn't have anything but general plot points planned for 1-6, it felt like that changed with part 7. He set up a lot of central mysteries early that got resolved later on. Maybe since he has more time to work on each chapter he has time to do pre-production and can work on stuff further in advance.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I'm kind of amazed that people give a poo poo about the quality of DVD menus in the year 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Ringo Roadagain returns :allears:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Aurain posted:

My favourite part of Pucci's back story is that even though he's a black man, he manages to convince the KKK to kill his white brother for being mixed race. Araki is weird.

The KKK probably considers him one of the good ones, and if there's anything the KKK hates more than black people it's mixed race couples and their offspring.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I'm not surprised that Araki liked holes considering it's got even more 「GRAVITY」than part 6 did, the amount of coincidence in that plot is astounding (and intentional)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Please explain why this is so exciting? Was there not a part 4 already?

There's never been a part 4 anime.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The anime's rule for name changes is any stands named after artists or bands get changed to the name of a song by that artist/band, with exceptions for stuff like Steely Dan -> Dan of Steel. They left most other references, including high profile stuff like Rubber Soul, unchanged. Using that metric:

• Crazy Diamond is a Pink Floyd song reference, that's fine
  • Aqua Necklace is an album reference, probably fine
  • I don't think The Hand is a direct reference, so it's probably fine
  • Bad Company is a band, it'll be changed
  • Echoes is another Pink Floyd song name, that's fine
  • The Lock is kind of a reference, but it's a really generic name regardless
  • Surface is named after a band, but also a single word that fits in context, it'll probably be changed
  • Love Deluxe is the name of an album, it's fine
  • Pearl Jam will get changed
  • Red Hot Chili Pepper will be changed
  • Achtung Baby is an album by U2, I doubt it'll be changed
  • Heaven's Door references a Bob Dylan song, it's fine
  • Ratt is a band reference, but also the stand of a rat, so probably
  • Harvest is an album reference, but also a generic word, I doubt it'll be changed
  • Everything to do with Killer Queen references albums and songs by Queen, but never Queen itself, so :getin:
  • Cinderella is a band reference, but its power is also a reference to the fairy tale, so we'll see
  • Atom Heart Father references a Pink Floyd song, so it should be fine
  • Boy II Man is going to be changed
  • Earth Wind and Fire will be changed (assuming its name is ever actually used in the series?)
  • Highway Star is a song so it's fine
  • Stray Cat is a pretty generic term that makes sense in context, but also a band, so we'll see
  • Superfly is an album, probably fine
  • Enigma is a "music project" but also just an english word, so ???
  • Cheap Trick will be changed

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

So, I just finished Part 6 and

um what?

Continued in part 7 (technically)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Araki confirmed that the SBR universe is the reset universe years ago, not that it's ever going to have anything to do with the plots of part 7 or 8. It just ties parts 1-6 to 7 and 8 in the tiniest way.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

It's also worth noting a substantial chunk of SBR's page count was dedicated to the "Final" battle, around which most plot threads converged early on. While I doubt Jojolion will have a similarly involved final confrontation, it's worth keeping in mind for overall length estimates.

I can't wait for Gappy's 20 chapter fight with Barack Obama and his stand 「Dream On」

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Or they could just be regular people in the SBR universe. Last we saw they were in Florida, halfway around the world from Morioh. I always figured Irene wasn't a Joestar really, she just had the birthmark because of gravity or something, the same reason she's still rolling around with Hermes even though never ended up in prison.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

So are we still on break? Because on a re-read we just ended on one of the biggest cliffhangers in Jojolion and it's killing me.

Chapters come out on the 19th of the month.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Moltrey posted:

D4C can hop from user to user (Valentine comes back after losing an ear with a new Valentine, and rather than attack the one missing the ear, Gyro attacks the one with D4C behind it) so it definitely seems to bring memories or consciousness with it and it makes it's new user the SBR Valentine.

Yep, the current Valentine knows he's going to die, but he still passes on D4C and his memories without fussing because he's a cold motherfucker. The new Valentine understands the importance of Jesus Christ and does what he has to.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

They go to see Titanic in theaters this chapter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

My two dads and also my mom, and my stepdad, and my guardian secret dad. Giorno has a lot of parents.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't rate parts or protagonists until they've finished but thus far Gappy seems "Human" like Johnny.

I would argue Gappy is more human than Johnny, he's two human

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The reset universe is the SBR universe, but until Araki decides to do something with it (if he ever does at all) it doesn't matter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure that GE got healing powers just because Araki realized that someone needed a healing power or he wouldn't be able to beat the poo poo out of his protagonists.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Karera incosistencies really, really bother me. Like, I know Araki forgets stuff all the time but usually it's stuff like miscellaneous stand powers (like Whitesnake's goo or Gold Experience's reflect bullshit) or little details like whether or not Rohan was shot with the arrow. The stuff with Karera is a major plot point though and it hasn't even been long since it happened.

Maybe we wait a few more chapters before we decide that something was Araki Forgets and not intentional

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

based on where the ep ended, gotta be a 2.5 parter

They're absolutely going to do it in 2. They cut the credits to get through the first four chapters in one episode, they'll likely do the same for the back 5. Especially since those are mostly action and should go somewhat faster.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

actually that reminds me. after gyro gives the eye he had to lucy, can he just not see stands anymore?

cause that is pretty baddass if he can't.

Unless Chocolate Disco's grid is visible to non-stand users, he can still see stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how there are like, what, 4 or 5 different JoJos in part 8 so far?

Norisuke used to be called Josuke, so he's a JoJo, then Gappy is Josuke, then there is Josefumi, and Jobin, and Joshuu.

Jobin and Joshuu aren't Jojos. The second Jo is very important, they are lovely Jojo knockoffs