Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Hey

Trish is also 15 (which makes the "Fugo falls on her boobs" joke really weird)

Fugo is 16, so not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darko posted:

He *is* from Japan (13 AoC)

:can:, but this is a myth. That's the federal age of consent; it's higher in all prefectures, I believe.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 11, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Augus posted:

Giorno declared his intent to murder his boss in the second episode of the anime, rocket science this ain’t

The "Requiem" part is amusing, although it's not really a spoiler either.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dias posted:

Araki does reverse foreshadowing, where anything he hints at ends up having no bearing on the story whatsoever.

Not everything, but there are definitely a lot of Araki Forgots that could be considered reverse foreshadowing. J. Geil's Stand blocking the rain, the "man who sought to become God" who created the Arrows, Giorno being in Florida...

Plus there's the whole category of characters who were set up as important villains but ended up getting chumped, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, Santana, Enya, Angelo, Akira, and basically everybody in Part 8 (although in Part 8 at least it was more deliberate red herrings than failed foreshadowing).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Straizo was literally just there to establish "Hey, vampires ain't poo poo anymore! Joseph is awesome."

E: Santana, who has more of a link to the actual villains of the part, being a Pillar Man, was introduced in LITERALLY THE SAME CHAPTER that Straizo heel turned!

Fair enough.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

I can't even remember what baby face can even do, just that its a magic computer rape baby and somehow inspires Gio to use his stand for healing. Something about falling apart?

It turns people into piles of cubes, IIRC. Giorno healed himself by replacing the parts of himself that were being turned into cubes with inanimate objects. And I guess it must also track things because that function is mentioned at the end of the current episode.

Yeah, it really does have too much going on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Also its defeat is kinda weird because it's a rare example of a (non-Bound) Stand being defeated by something other than another Stand. Like, it just gets blown up.

I thought it was a Bound Stand of sorts. It's made from a blood sample and the "mother's" nutrients, right?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

No, he was the one that found the arrows and sold them to Enya. I imagine there's a timeline where Diavolo sold the arrows to the Speedwagon Foundation, they probably would have paid more for them.

Yeah, the guy who created the Arrows lived thousands of years ago, IIRC. Maybe he was never supposed to be important beyond explaining why the Arrows exist at all, but the parallels to Kars, among other things, made it seem like he was supposed to matter at some point in the future.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm reading the colorized Phantom Blood on Shueisha's new Manga Plus service, and I'd forgotten both how uncomfortably fanservicey the human sacrifice scene at the beginning was and how clearly it showed how Jojo vampires work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

So is the Baby Face fight a one or two parter?

Like a one-and-a-third parter, I think.

I'm calling the episode titles for the rest of the show now:
18. Head to Venezia
19. White Album
20. The Last Orders from the Boss
21. The Mystery of King Crimson
22. Clash and Talking Head (1)
23. Clash and Talking Head (2)
24. Flight Code Null
25. Notorious BIG
26. Spice Girl
27. My Name is Doppio
28. King Crimson vs. Metallica
29. Pronto! On the Line
30. Green Day and Oasis (1)
31. Green Day and Oasis (2)
32. Green Day and Oasis (3)
33. His Name is Diavolo
34. The Requiem Plays Quietly (1)
35. The Requiem Plays Quietly (2)
36. Diavolo Emerges
37. King of Kings
38. Gold Experience Requiem
39. Sleeping Slaves

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CJ posted:

What is the copyright name of Notorious BIG? That has to be pretty good, right?

I'm guessing something like Infamous Large.

Edit: Talking Head and Rolling Stone don't have copyright-friendly names yet either. Talkative Face and Moving Rock, maybe?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 1, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah the remaining fights are:

- White Album
- Bruno vs King Crimson
- Clash and Talking Heads
- Notorious B.I.G
- Metallica
- Green Day and Oasis
- King Crimson

You forgot Silver Chariot Requiem and Sleeping Slaves/Rolling Stone

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always assumed the effect was more localized, although just how localized is unclear.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
That fits with the trend of Araki getting ideas from movies. Most blatantly, Donatello Versace's backstory is straight up taken from Holes. And then there's all the horror movie Stands from Part 3. My favorite example, though, is Silver Chariot Requiem, which is based not on Freaky Friday, as one might assume, but on Amadeus. Seriously.

Edit: And King Crimson was inspired by Total Recall.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 3, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

How so, in what way?

https://pastebin.com/fnJyWvE6

Hirohiko Araki posted:

CHARIOT REQUIEM
Mozart began writing his Requiem when he got a commission from a mysterious visitor. Here, we have a pitch-black messenger, creating an image of death. The visitor's gender remains a mystery, so I gave the stand an androgynous fashion.

OK, the movie Amadeus didn't originate the legends surrounding Mozart's Requiem (his widow Constanze did), but it definitely popularized them to the point where it's a reasonable supposition that the movie influenced Araki's thought process when he designed SCR.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CJ posted:

Basically Part 5 is a bad story. At least it has a couple of cool fights.

I used to think this, but watching the anime has warmed me to Part 5 a bit. I do think it can be criticized for not really following up on the main characters' motivations, the associated moral dilemmas, and the logistics of how Passione operates. The scene where they get on the boat is good, but we never see the protagonists grappling with the ethics of collecting protection money and so forth because essentially the only thing we see them do on behalf of the Boss is fight other Stand users, and Passione's involvement in the drug trade isn't followed up on outside of Purple Haze Feedback despite its importance to Bruno's motivations. When Giorno finally becomes the new Boss, we get a flashback not involving Giorno and then the story just ends without elaborating on what he actually does as the Boss.

And yes, Gold Experience is bullshit, Polnareff's return is abrupt, Silver Chariot Requiem is nonsense, and Diavolo is less interesting than Dio and Kira.

But on the other hand, Part 5 has a lot of cool fights (not just "a couple"), the characterization makes for a compelling story about superpowered misfit bodyguards fighting their way around Italy despite its limits as a gangster story, and Purple Haze Feedback addresses some of my issues.

I think the first half or so of Worm is basically the story I sort of wish Vento Aureo was: a superpowered gangster story that has interesting fights but also expands a bit more on other aspects of being a superpowered gangster.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 4, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wow, those spoilers in the opening were really something. Good episode, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would just take the Who Shot Johnny as an inconsistency, like the very first appearance of King Crimson.

I remember reading a detailed explanation somewhere of how Who Shot Johnny makes sense with how D4C is supposed to work. It's complicated and requires some really lucky timing on Valentine's part, IIRC, but I can roll with it.

Bruno seeing himself makes sense as Diavolo lending him Epitaph to confuse him. I don't pretend to have a clear sense of how Diavolo does and doesn't interact with things during the skipped time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tetracube posted:

doesn't he deploy Cioccolata and Secco as like a last-ditch effort?

I guess all the other ones might've just sucked

Wasn't Sheila E from Purple Haze Feedback a member of Diavolo's guard?

Imagining her interacting with the other members (or Diavolo's guards interacting with each other in general, really) seems really weird, though