Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uznare posted:

while this is true. pretty much every part that isn't 3 has a dogshit translation. 4 is the nearest thing to a decent one and only the invincible trio version. 7 is also pretty good most of the way through but about halfway there's some shaky poo poo.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the ones for parts 6-8?

Edit: Wait, does this also count the VIZ translation for 1 and the first volume of 2?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think he's talking about the color ones. I remember him saying that they were awful in the last thread.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

bonewitch posted:

i feel like slogging my way through part 5 again, which one is the halfway decent translation

JoJo's colored adventure. I think they're doing it with B&W scans too so you don't have to read it in color if you don't want to. They're not done yet though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I thought it was pretty refreshing that the new time master of SBR wasn't the final boss but some dude in a cabin like halfway through the story. Note that I said new, so don't get snippy and bring up the return of The World.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Aurain posted:

Jotaro doesn't master Star Platinum until he's out of his coma. It loses all of its durability, changes appearance but gets a flat 5 second time stop. It's technically a different stand though if you want to nit pick it.

Isn't his time stop in Part 4 already a flat 5 seconds?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Have you seen the dude's kickstarter promos for his new game? Dude's a full on vampire.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I assume Josuke followed the fellow good citizens of Morioh and opened something like a Repair store, antiques shop or health clinic. Something to provide remarkable service like Tonio and Cinderella (RIP).

I wanna believe he became a magic doctor. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC, Crazy Diamond works by actually reverting something to a prior state, and it can only go back so far; probably more than an hour but less than a day. So it wouldn't help with diseases, unless it had a weirdly short eclipse phase.

It's definitely longer than a day. It restored Fungami to how he was before his accident, which was definitely at least a few days before Josuke recruited him for the Enigma fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Okuyasu's dad must be on the outer edge of the upper limit for restoration because Josuke could restore the torn up photo that couldn't have been destroyed much later than when Okuyasu's dad became that beast.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Would you say Jonathan won? He died and failed to stop DIO, after all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man it's gonna be a good 5 hours til I can watch it. The wait's gonna kill me. :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone on MAL said that The World having all of the Joestar's abilities would make sense considering that he was able to heal (via Crazy Diamond) Pucci's messed up foot.

I'm not sure I buy that, but do we ever get an explanation of how Dio did that?

Not that I know of. Maybe he did something similar to when he revived Vanilla Ice?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Morioh itself is basically a character, it'd be a shame if we didn't get to experience as much of it as we could.

...Oh no I just realized that the anime only people are going to have a field day with Josuke's savior. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Cinderella arc really is kind of a low point for Part 4 for me since I don't particularly care for Yukako. If she didn't drop off the face of the Earth right after that arc ended and had more of a proactive role in the hunt for Kira, maybe I'd like it a little more, but as it stands, it's really just a set up for Kira -> Kosaku.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SC is a pretty rad roadtrip/globetrotting story with bonus fight scenes and punchghosts thrown in. :v:

So when do new JoJolion chapters come out? I finally caught up and now I've joined the club of people who have to wait a month for new chapters. :( I guess I could start on Part 5, but I wanna wait until either JJCA's about 3/4 of the way done or if Viz picks it up first.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BaDandy posted:

He does it to Erina too at his own "funeral" by sneaking up behind her and covering her eyes and I'm amazed she didn't kill him for real on the spot. Never change, Joseph.

To be fair, he didn't even know it was his own funeral. I assume he was just trying to cheer up his friends before realizing the truth.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a question about part 4. It's very good and all, but I noticed that Tamami and Hazamada have shrunk for some reason. I know they were normal person sized before when they were a threat, but now they are barely taller than Koichi. Why is that?

A popular explanation is that it's a visual metaphor for how intimidating they were to Koichi, but after they were beaten, he no longer saw them as a threat, so they were brought down to his level, literally.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Race Realists posted:

so did you just deliberately the part in Volume 1 where she strips down?

Outside of the few bits in Volume 1, I can't remember any scenes of overt fanservice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, Johnny was in trouble for the actual fight against Ringo. He was the protagonist for the Axl Roe (is that his name? The dude with Civil War) fight though, that's a better example.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pork Pie Hat Kid's another Johnny-centric fight, since that one's about him gaining Tusk.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Narrator's David Vincent, I'd recognize FE:A's Robin anywhere.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Chief posted:

Joseph has an accent in the final episode being voiced by Epcar, btw.

I was just about to say something about that. I wonder if that means the actual Part 3 dub will give Joseph an english accent?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Eisidisi's dubbed tantrum is fantastic. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Did they change "Good-bye JOJO" in the dub? I saw a small video earlier that had it changed, but I'm not sure if it was legit.

I haven't seen that episode yet, since I've only been watching BT stuff, but from what I hear, it's now just Dio ranting about how Jonathan's going to die in vain.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think I've found the first bit of character voice overlap in the dub: Richard Epcar voices both that random thug harassing Smokey in the restaurant at the start of BT and the older Joseph.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Have they redone the dubs for the first three episodes of stardust?

Not publicly. They only just finished the PB/BT dub so I'm doubtful they're going to give us the SC dub anytime soon. Chances are, they might be waiting to see how well the dub sells before greenlighting SC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

No, it was SBR, it's just that the jump didn't really affect volume size.

Longer chapters just means fewer chapters per volume.

No, the jump definitely did affect volume size. The first 5 volumes of SBR clocked in at around 200 pages, but the rest of the volumes hover around the 150 mark.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh. I guess they didn't. Actually, I think I know what the deal is, there are more double-page spreads in those volumes, which cuts down on how many different files each volume has. My bad then!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

So they are doing the Battle Tendency and Stardust Crusaders Jojonium releases here right? Cause hot drat does Phantom Blood look good on my bookshelf.

BT yes, volume one's been translated and up for sale digitally for 4 months now with no volume 2 in sight yet, but that probably won't impact the physical releases. SC probably won't get Jojonium releases overseas since you can still buy the separate volume releases of that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

Isn't Volume 2 coming out this week digitally though? Or something

I don't see release info anywhere about it. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

They're being really quiet about it for some reason (I only found out a couple hours ago), but Amazon US's got a Kindle page for Volume 2 with a release date of August 18. They also have release dates for Volume 2 and 3 physical (February 2 and May 3 2016).

Oh goddammit.

:argh: Viiiiiiiiz!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I really shouldn't be so surprised Viz is being extremely quiet about the digital releases since the digital versions of PB 2 and 3 and BT 1 came out with absolutely no fanfare.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I would've added the matchstick to the right side, making a box with a diagonal line through it so it kinda looks like those 0's that have the diagonal line. Matchstick puzzles tend to be kind of obtuse though. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Battle Tendency part 2 is now available digitally!

Comixology
iTunes
Amazon Kindle

If there's another service you can buy manga on, you can probably find it there too if Viz is a publisher on it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wasn't his fight with Polnareff 1 on 1 too?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Vincent posted:

I finished watching JoJo on crunchyroll and want to read the next parts of the manga, but since there's no oficial release, am I stuck with badly translated scans?

You're fine for the rest of the series, barring like 3/4ths of part 5 (which is being fixed), the first 2-3 volumes of part 6, and a few volumes of part 7.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought Echoes Act 2 was way better than Act 3. It used to be able to paint the effects of comicbook sound effects onto any surface which is a really smart and Jojo power you could do alot with, then it lost that for the ability to inflict a slow debuff using the power of terrible Japanese puns! Really seemed like a downgrade

Also finished Stone Ocean the other day; really grim seeing the entire cast getting killed basically as an afterthought, Jolyne has the only person even to get a Zepelli-esque moral victory out of it. Weather Report's final attack was a really smart way of turning around Made in Heaven's tremendous bullshit back on itself in a logical way though, I did like that. Now, onto Steel Ball Run!

At least Koichi can use all three versions of Echoes at will. :v: If you don't believe me, think back to the fight he had with Kira, where he decides to use Echoes Act 1 to scout out the area because it has the longest range of 50m, and then uses Act 2 later to throw Sheer Heart Attack off his trail.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

Doesn't Gyro only have a stand for like 2 minutes then sacrifices it to do a thing?

Yeah, then he got another one right before he died.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm just curious about how you'd meaningfully differentiate DIO and Diego 2.0. I guess Diego would be more mobility based and DIO more for fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe there hasn't been a main Jojo villain whose power is freezing things and they end up evolving their Stand to the point where they can freeze time.

That seems Araki enough to have been a thing by now.

You could reasonably argue that Dio did that in his transition from vampire to vampire with a stand.