Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RC Cola posted:

I was looking into starting to read this.
I keep hearing good things.
Is there a good mobile app that has JoJos?

You can buy volumes at Comixology, iBooks and presumably the official Viz apps. That'll get you all of part 1, part 3 and half of part 2. Everything else I guess isn't officially licensed?

Edit: I think you can buy them for Kindle too through Amazon. Don't quote me on that, I tend to just buy on iBooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The SC anime handled the nickname "JoJo" the same way the manga did where Jotaro was referred to by that nickname for a few fights, then was pretty much exclusively referred to by his given name.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Goddamn does EoH Gyro hurt to look at. There's barely any part of him that isn't a horrifying neon color.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Boy I sure hope that Jonathan notices what's, uh, different.

Don't those two have a unique battle intro in ASB?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, I just noticed Part 4 Josuke's teamed up with Johnny. Maybe they'll have a combination attack where Johnny'll get his legs back for something. :v:

naaaaah

Related, I like how all 3 Dios are paired with a Joestar.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Physical. Vol 2 already came out digitally.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In other news,

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm inclined to say that the red/cranberry you're seeing is Josuke's outline and/or Jotaro's shadowed shoulder. You can kind of see Jotaro's right shoulder and it looks like a white coat to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dammit Aurain, I wish you hadn't explained how to color manga because now I've spent two nights just coloring random JoJo and OPM panels.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Nice job!

Now somebody go color some Josuke and Okus in pink uniforms.

Ehhhh, maybe I should try again in the morning with a panel that didn't start pretty heavily shaded.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Please, what do you take me for, I know my way around CS6. :smuggo:

Seriously though, yeah, a lot of those tips are also pretty good for PhotoShop art in general. I can't even count how many times working on separate layers has saved my rear end from redoing like an hour of work. Also I'd like to add that it really helps to use the Magic Wand or Quick Select tool to section off bits of the art so that you're only coloring inside the shaded area. Doing that and then just using the paint bucket to fill an entire section saves time considerably. You don't really get any shading work with it, but hey, that's when you go in and play around with gradients or brushes.

Also, you caught me, I just sample colors straight from anime key art because I can't be bothered trying to work PhotoShop's color picker.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Don't forget that Joseph was basically dead for like 5 minutes at the end of SDC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DIO is responsible for Mr. Nijimura becoming a blob-monster, which led to Keicho obtaining a bow and arrow (I think from Enyaba?) and standifying many people in the pursuit of someone who could kill Mr. Nijimura, so the first half's pretty much indirectly DIO's fault. The second half, not as much I don't think unless Old Man Kira was inspired by DIO somehow to get his own arrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They probably all ended up like Okuyasu's dad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Now I'm imagining D'Arby Jr getting pissed off at Mariah because her exponentially growing magnets keep loving up his games. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think he does yet, but he's definitely gonna pick up on it either the first time he hears "TOKI WO TOMARE" or sees the knife thing when it's not in the OP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

I feel like he might be playing to our expectations a little. The DIO fight's a meme, and the Zephyr fight seems like a specific thing to remember without knowing it's a DIO reference.

That's okay, though. I still enjoy reading his posts.

That fight is hard if you don't understand what triggers TOKI WO TOMARE, I don't blame him for remembering it. Also he's one of the more memorable bosses from DoS, I feel.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think the last time I said "TOKI YO TOMARE" someone got peeved at me too. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The one which confuses me is ZA WARUDO, when he's very clearly saying ZA WALDO :confused:

That's the most literal romanization of 世界 that you can make.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

"We're good alright. Good... At kicking stand user rear end."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm still not too hot on yellow skies, but overall it looks really GREAT! Josuke's got a good DORARARARARA too!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I like to think that the folks at Capcom really wanted him to have a good showing after his disappointing return in the manga.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jotaro looks weird without his hat and coat, but then again, that look makes him look like the big nerd that he really is, so it works.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kira's such a good character, I really wish there were more chapters where he was the viewpoint character.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I've been meaning to read Diamond is Unbreakable for a while now and I've just got up to Let's Go Eat Italian Food and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen.

I agree.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I thought Pucci took out the Jostar family line so Irene and Jotaro weren't Jostars anymore and were replaced by that weird bee people in the prison

He did do that. Then Emporio killed him and reset the timeline again, dumping him into the universe that has Irene.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That one's Stray Cat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

To be fair, I don't remember that cat ever actually being named. As soon as he dies and becomes a plant, he's pretty much exclusively referred to by his stand's name, I think.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Love Train is D4C's thing. I'm not sure why that wasn't listed as it's own field, unlike Kira who got 3 fields, but eh. Lucy's stand is actually called "Ticket to Ride".

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm a bad JoJo fan because I have started with the anime. However, I really dig the bits of the manga I have read (the art, specifically) and want to pick them up to read myself. I want to have actual paper in hand as much as I can for this.

So, obviously, I got questions.
- How far can I do that in English? It looks like up to Part 3, for sure.
- What's the best way to do that? There are some hardcover books for Parts 1 and 2, splitting both into 3 volumes. Does that cover everything in those arcs? It looks like Part 3 is broken into a lot of smaller paperbacks as well.

Parts 1 and 2 are being released in English via those hardcover volumes. Part 1 takes up the first 3 volumes, Part 2 is the next 4. As of right now, all of Part 1 is available physically, so you can own all of that on your bookshelf right now. Part 2 is being released currently, with Volume 2 due out in like a week or two. If you're ok with buying your manga digitally, you can get up to Volume 3 of Part 2 through Comixology or iTunes or Kindle or w/e you prefer. Part 3 is in a different format because those volumes were being released first and that translation was finished years ago, before the original Japanese versions of the hardcover volumes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm willing to hear them out for at least one more part since Part 1 doesn't have a lot of what makes JoJo great.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What's better about the JP ones?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yup, that's right, the CR versions of PB and BT are the BR versions. You could also buy the dub on Amazon Video if you want, and unlike the DVD, there's an option to buy the series in HD with Amazon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Josuke, stop being weird to Josuke and Josuke.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I 100% agree but also I re-read the ending of Part 4 starting from Bites the Dust while really high recently and thought it was some of the most amazing media ever made. JoJo is good.

Bites the Dust is legitimately one of the best fights in all of JoJo, if not the best one. SBR is great and I love it to bits, but Bites the Dust is one of the best things I've ever read.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

I realized earlier today I've never read an actual good translation of Part 4. I read the DUWANG translations, but there are better ones out there, right? I'm not asking for :filez: or anything, just confirming that I can probably find better translations of JoJo somewhere.

Look up The Invincible Trio, they're the guys who did the good translation of DiU. Though, they basically just cleaned up DUWANG because once you get past the broken English, DUWANG was technically an accurate translation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It did actually. I think it's on Batoto? I'll have to check what it's called when I'm back from lunch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I am slightly disappointed that this didn't continue because I really want to see this guy's take on D'Arby.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

So what's the deal with the Viz release of phantom blood and battle tendency? Are those straight translations of the Jojonium volumes? Is it true they're not doing the ones for stardust crusaders?

Pretty much, yeah. They're the only way to legally read PB and BT right now. The SC Jojoniums are in the air, who knows if they're going to bother since they already released SC in its entirety. Honestly, I'd rather see Viz put their efforts into releasing DiU than re-releaseing SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I certainly wasn't expecting this out already.