Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Pomp posted:

doesn't ghiacco have some words about the gang not understanding french or some poo poo in the bad translation?

We still have a chapter or two until that happens. If you're that curious to find out what he's saying, I already had this lying around so here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I thought Jojo's Colored Adventure just used the Invincible Trio's translation.
I believe they used my translation for the last two volumes.

fadam posted:

Part 4 was awesome and I hope they release an official translation I can buy.

Which group is translating Part 5 right now?
Jojo Project was translating Part 5 up until the beginning of Volume 4, when they died and dropped it. With that, JJCA and I picked up where they left off and started translating from there. So far we've released up to Volume 8, out of 17 total.

By the way, since I forgot to say this earlier, thanks for the kind comments, and thanks for enjoying Vento Aureo, everyone.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

JOHN CENA posted:

Something I was thinking about in the shower this morning; Parts 1-7 were brought to France and translated professionally over there, right? With a much higher confluence of English/French bilingual speakers/readers over English/Japanese, is there some kind of logistical issue from just translating the already available French copies?

Re-translating an existing translation is how we got Duwang and the bad Vento Aureo translation in the first place.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone on /a/ knocked out a quick scanlation of JJL
http://m.imgur.com/a/wnMvW

Its okay but catch Hi Wa Mata Noboru's too later in the week

drat, Araki knocked it out of the park with this chapter. Fumi brings one of the nastiest beatdowns and one of the saddest moments in Jojo in a single chapter. The wait for next month is going to kill me.

Also, Josuke "Please let me kill your boyfriend" Higashikata is solidly in the running for best Jojo

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

About the competing translations: I read the HWMN version first and I appreciate the high quality and the consistent releases, but I have to say I kind of like some of the phrasing better in the /a/ one. Like, "That is my image of happiness" (HWMN) vs. "That must be what happiness looks like" (anonymous). They're both communicating the same idea, and if I had to guess I'd say that HWMN's is probably closer to the literal meaning, but the other one sounds closer to what an actual human being would say. It'd be cool if people could somehow collaborate/contribute suggestions or something instead of scrambling to push scans out ASAP.

As much as I respect Kewl's translation skills and experience, I don't think he's a very good writer for exactly that reason. Maybe the rest of Jojo Project was keeping him in line for SBR, but this problem is more noticeable than ever in his Jojolion releases. Earlier in the chapter, he also has a line about about "the mouths of his wounds", and although that's a perfectly valid phrase in Japanese (kizu no guchi), the opening of a wound on the body is not called a "mouth" in English so it really makes no sense to translate it literally as such. As for the phrase you mentioned, "image of happiness" is a pretty direct way of translating "shiawase no imeeji", but outside of a technical context, the Japanese "imeeji" most often means "mental visualization," so I feel like translating it straight to "image" kind of misses the point somewhere, even if it is clearly derived from the English word. And, as you mentioned, it sounds pretty stilted in English, even though it didn't come off that way in the original Japanese.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

can we talk about that brutal loving beatdown that Josefumi dished out.

Like I seriously thought for a second 'wait so were there 4 A Pex brothers and Josefumi just loving dismantled two of them in an instant?'

It seems like Josefumi's Soft & Wet was a real killer in close range combat; maybe even more then Gappy's from his fight with I Am A Rock.

He didn't even need his stand. He took out the Aphex bros with just his bare fists and a handful of bubbles. Soft and Wet was just there to add insult to injury.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's just to refer to him as Josuke without confusing him with Part 4's Josuke.

I can't remember how Japan did it but the english release of All Star Battle refereed to Gappy as "Jo2suke" which is pretty awkard. The little pet name is a pretty good fit for that little oddball

I'm honestly surprised they weren't dead or injured looking in the present

The "Jo" in part 4 Josuke is written with a 丈, while Part 8's Jo is written with a 定. When speaking, I think you'd just call them "Josuke from part 4" and "Josuke from part 8," or something.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

The rest of the group neglected to tell me about this, but we released White Album 1 last week. Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I am informed that WA2 is on its way as well. This week*, an Italian man is very mad about Venice.

*Last week

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I know at least one person whose pet peeve is more or less that giorno is always right in part 5 and that there aren't many times where he's flat out wrong about something.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Yinlock posted:

to be faIr there's really not enough examples to go off of. GER was fine and Chariot Requiem might have been the same if Polnareff didn't, y'know, die right after it appeared. It was a concept that got dropped real quick, which seems to be Part 5's Thing, for better and worse.

The evidence we have suggests that Chariot Requiem wouldn't have turned out any better even if Diavolo hadn't killed him while it was forming. Polanreff is just too weak to control a Requiem stand by now, and he says as much. You can see him losing control of it back in the farmhouse during his flashback, and he's very much alive at that point. That's why he was trying to pass the arrow off to Giorno, instead of just using his own Requiem to kill Diavolo. The difference between GE Requiem and Chariot Requiem is the fact that Polnareff has been dismembered with extreme prejudice and Giorno hasn't*.

*Not permanently, at least

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Two new chapters of White Album just went up today. This week, Giorno discovers that cars should not be driven into water.

Also, a little translation highlight. Mista has significantly less sass in the bad scans.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Thing I just noticed this episode: Hazamada's uniform collar is decorated with a 間, the "Hazama" in "Hazamada."
On that note, Keicho's uniform has TRILLION written on it because the "cho"(兆) in Keicho means "trillion," and Okuyasu's uniform has BILLION on it because the his Oku (億) means 10^8 and Okuyasu can't count, apparently. Kyo Nijumura continues the theme in Jojolion, as her name means 10^16.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

http://bato.to/reader#7e239161d6a16835
On another note, White Album 4 went online on what's technically yesterday by now, for anyone who's following Vento Aureo.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

multijoe posted:

What do any of the JoJos acomplish aside from defeating their antagonist and maybe saving an immediate loved one? Johnny saved America from a power-crazed tyrant and is a cool dude.

Johnny "saved" America from a true patriot who secured 1000 years of prosperity for his homeland, and is a whiny nerd who can't accept the consequences of provoking a man into shooting him in the spine.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

multijoe posted:

Yeah that was my point. Killing Valentine acomplished something other than just killing Valentine (see: saving America from being ruled by an insanely spiteful, unkillable crazy guy). You could say Jotato 'just' killed DIO but you'd be missing the point in the extreme.

But in the end, Valentine does succeed in his goal of sticking Jesus in his bomb shelter and making America great (at the expense of everyone else on the planet). Ultimately, all Johnny manages to do is commit is a spate of revenge killings. Oh, and Valentine's going to get replaced by his vice president, and for all we know, he could be a huge jerk too.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Also, while we're on the topic of SBR, here's my favorite little tidbit from Jojoveller:

quote:

Araki's comment: This stand does nothing but bolster Pocoloco's confidence. It doesn't actually help him in any way. It can't make you lucky or anything, but it can make you more optimistic.

That's right, Pocoloco actually won the Steel Ball Run on his own merits. That luck was all natural, no stands involved.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I've only seen what seems to be the last three pages of the leaked chapter, but here's how I read it:

Hato chooses to trust Damokan and tries to convince Josuke not to kill him. At some point, Damokan comes in and melts them both. Eventually, Damokan realizes "Josefumi" allowed Hato to escape, to which Josuke replies "No, not quite." He tells Damo that Hato trusted him to the very end, and he still melted her anyway. Josuke realised that the potted plant stuck halfway through the door was partially healed, because it's outside Vitamin C's effective range. And, he put Hato in a bubble and sent her through the chimney, letting her escape from Vitamin C's effects. Hato, now fully healed, starts punching holes in Damo, who insists that he was never going to hurt Hato's family, that truly does love her, and that he was only trying to find Josuke. Hato walks vertically up a wall.

I could just write a full translation of the pages when I have time, I guess.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 17, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Oh my god, what is he going to do to those fish?

Oh my god, what are those fish doing to him?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Fiend Computer posted:

hey does anyone have the comparisons of the old part 5 translations to the new ones handy? need to show them to a friend.

In addition to the one that's already been posted, I also made these a while back.

Here you can see how Mista's lines turn into complete gibberish in the bad translation.

And more of the same.

Note: the word kakugo (determination, resolve) is used about two dozen times during the White Album fight. The bad translations cycle through translating it as "conscious," "consciousness," and "conscience," which are three different words that stand for two different concepts, neither of which are anywhere near the actual meaning of kakugo.

In the bad translation, the metal pole that Ghiaccio is impaled upon somehow turns into a "tree." My guess is that they saw the left half of 柱 (meaning:pole) has the tree radical and just decided to call it a day. Regardless of the reason, it makes no sense at all. Also, ignore the typo on the page.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 26, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I am going to replace Volare Via with the grammatically correct "vola via."

Ed: The ultimate evidence of the old part 5 translators making poo poo up is actually any given page from Jojo Project or JJCA's translation side by side with the bad translation's version.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 26, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I appreciate you too, Johnny.

PS: I appreciate Begemot too.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 26, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Moltrey posted:

This is a good post and it's really funny to me to read exactly how badly the old translation goofed it. That's rude I'm sorry, but the "kakugo" thing is just amazing. I really enjoy and appreciate all the work that goes into Part 5 so thank y'all!

You don't need to feel sorry. The bad translation is bad, and mockery is exactly what it deserves. Really, you can find errors like these on every single page. Also, I appreciate you too, Moltrey.

The Pair-iss thing is still super wrong by the way

I have no idea how you read Paris, but I can assure you that it is in fact you who is super wrong.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Raserys posted:

What's the most Jojo method of using a weak power to devastating effect, my dad mentioned he heard how OP stands can be, and I was trying to explain the typical example of a super specific ability being applied in a powerful way

Incredibly lethal powers in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure include:
-Creating zippers on things
-Having a fishing rod
-Forcing someone to tell lies
-Unravelling your own body
-Creating duplicates of things you touch
-Feng Shui
-Eleven men who have the power to teleport into each other's backs
-Rewinding time for exactly 6 seconds, but only if you can touch your wristwatch

alcharagia posted:

i have a new theory: in the ireneverse, joseph introduces jotaro to some nice english lady and it's the timeline that leads to kiniro mosaic. irene is holly's granddaughter by way of kakyoin, which is why she likes that pink guy.

It's time for me to post this

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Pah-riss
There's never been a semblance of an I in there before riss, nor is there in the French pronunciation.

Jojolion 54: American English kills again

I am sorry that you have to find out this way, but it is the year 2016 and your backwater island nation hasn't been relevant for the better part of a century.

Neither has France, for that matter.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

You seem kind of mad that someone questioned a choice you've made about your translations tbth.

I wasn't serious, but I honestly did not realize the British say Paris differently either, so thanks for telling me something new.

I'll remember to change it for the European edition of Vento Aureo, which will be just like the American edition except it gets released 6 months later and the letter U appears in many places where it doesn't belong.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I'm not sure what it says in the translation you read, but in the raws, he specifically says he stole the air from Yotsuyu's lungs, rather than from his bloodstream or body in general, and that's why Yotsuyu is coughing up bubbles instead of bleeding them out of every orifice. That said, if he can drain the water from someone's body, I suppose there's not really a reason why he can't instantly desiccate someone to kill them.

And "Surii furiizu" is definitely a half-rhyme in Japanese. It also made a lot more sense once I realized how similar スリー and フリーズ look visually. ス is just フ plus an extra line.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 29, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I've never played any of the games but they got Rikiya Koyama to do two takes of Kira's boner line and that alone justifies everything. I will self-immolate in protest if they replace him with a different actor for Kira.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Happy Araki's Birthday Day, everyone. JJCA just released White Album Part 7, which wraps up the White Album fight. This week, Narancia walks in on Giorno and Mista sharing a very special moment.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Not at my computer right now but here's a quick summary:

The tagline on the cover says "there is only one way to pay the price for treachery" which is pretty loving metal.
According to Josuke's speculation, Damokan is working alone, otherwise his allies would be on the scene already. Either he's the boss of just a small team, or he wants to keep the Rokakaka secret to himself. Josuke tells him he should run away before Hato defeats him.
Damo had checked Kira's corpse to make sure be was dead, but maybe the DNA and face weren't a perfect match. The equivalent exchange that created Josuke is a level beyond Damokan's own Rokakaka. Hato kills him before he can bring Vitamin C to attack her.
Caato says she regrets nothing; she's doing this to take back the life she lost. It's all very cryptic.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

His coin trick also feels like a callback to Kira vs Shigechi.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Three new chapters of Vento Aureo just went up on Batoto, which gets us into the first encounter with The Boss. I also promised several years ago that download links for the older chapters would be available soon, and it looks like it's finally about to happen. I'll be back with more info once it's ready.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Update: back issues delayed while the editor exports 1000 PSDs by hand and I play tech support to figure out why he can't automate it

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

"Soft & Wet Sheets x1, 458 yen"

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

In a flashback narrated secondhand, from the memories of someone who was drifting in and out of consciousness at the time, Josuke closely resembles the person he consciously models his appearance off of. What could it mean?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Case in point, Soft & Wet has a D range and C power but it's 100% a punchghost that's beaten every stand/person but Vitamin C in hand to hand combat, can still break walls and yadda yadda yadda. Its soap bubbles have a pretty good range on them too. definitely better than the punching range of a punch ghost.

Soft and Wet is definitely a dangerous stand, but Jojo has never been a manga about having the biggest numbers, and SnW is strong because of how versatile it is and how clever Josuke is, and not because of its raw power. It loses to Born This Way in a head-on clash, and did less damage to Yotsuyu than Josuke just picking up a rock and bashing Yotsuyu with it. I can buy that only has a power rating of C, because it doesn't seem to be any stronger than a regular human. I suppose D in range only applies to the humanoid part of the stand. With that all said, the stand stat things still don't have any real sense of consistency and shouldn't be considered anything other than general guidelines.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Summary of leaked pages. The pages don't really flow together well so I'm guessing they're not exactly in order.

-Joshu wants to buy idol merch and shake hands with his favorite idol, so he bugs his dad for allowance. Norisuke asks him why he doesn't get a job and make himself useful to society.
-A man cuts in front of Joshu while he's buying his idol goods. When the man forgets his wallet at the counter, Joshu steals his it, guesses his PIN, and withdraws 500,000 yen from the ATM.
-Joshu tries to buy a 500,000-yen watch, but the cashier claims the glass on the face is damaged so they can't sell it to him, and Joshu gives up after realizing this is probably a really bad idea. The cashier gives 510,000 yen back to Joshu, all of which Joshu keeps.
-Joshu watches a 3D pirate movie featuring Johnny Depp. He can't stand being around other people, so he buys the 8 seats surrounding him, in addition to his own. Then he buys a Depp figurine.
-Joshu feels a tinge of guilt and decides to perform a random act of kindness. Whether or not he actually does so is not shown.

-Oh, and Josuke has to come to terms with the fact that half of him is a college student with no friends or family, and the other half is Holly's son Kira.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I dunno about Josuke but the first page seems to say "Two weeks before Caato Higashikata comes home."

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

After numerous delays and setbacks, I took it upon myself to finalize JJCA's Vento Aureo batch releases. Our colleague Bracketier has kindly uploaded them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/759d1q9gun0ehow/AACVrZcoYCQdYXj8tOWtWFuYa?dl=0
https://mega.nz/#F!2Mp3jABC!fY2NM3e71N_FHE-9FkZG2Q

The batch version has a number of changes and I think it's highly worth a re-read:

-Script fixes: I've revised the script several more times to improve the dialogue and fix errors in grammar and translation. Specifically, Volume 53 and before should be a lot more readable now, because JJCA's initial releases for those used a non-proofread translation and a non-proofread typesetting job that resulted in a double serving of typos and mistakes. I feel some guilt for not being more involved back then, so I'm glad to be able to wash my hands of that embarrassment now.

-Araki's comments retranslated: Originally, JJCA borrowed translations for the cover-flap comments from the Jojo Wikia, until I checked them and realized that they were, to put it lightly, machine-translated garbage. So, I threw them out and wrote my own translations. (For fun: compare them here)

-The Sex Pistols' names: JJCA's initial releases used Italian numbers for the Sex Pistols' names due to a misunderstanding on the part of our editor. I finally managed to convince him that he should fix his mistakes instead of doubling down on them, and as such the Sex Pistols' names have been switched back to No. 1, No. 2, and so on.

In addition, we have six new chapters that are almost ready for release. Expect to see them soon*.
*Timespan measured by JJCA standards.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

If they don't either license or cover What A Wonderful World for the last episode, I will be disappointed.

And I think to myself

What a wonderful ZA WARUDO

[9 second pause]

♪Sono chi no kiokuuuuu♪

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Remember when I said six new chapters would be coming very soon? Well, that was a lie.

Because eight, yes, eight new chapters of Vento Aureo just went up on Batoto. Click on sexy King Crimson to read them now:

And also, this week's mistranslation highlight:

In the old translation, this map of Venice, Italy was incorrectly labeled with several landmarks from Vienna, Austria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

We are not worthy

e: The page order for the first chapter you've linked is a little out

Dang, right as I step outside, this happens. I'll tell the editor to get that fixed as soon as I'm able.