Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wachepti posted:

but I thought all most MMOs ended in hilarious and entirely predictable bankruptcy for everyone involved

tank nerds are second only to train nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodychill posted:

Yoshi's Island DS was fun

there was one level that was impossible but before that it was pretty great yeah

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoanHorse posted:

Only twenty percent of the people that bought Mass Effect 3 finished the game and saw the ending. How do we know of it needed a new one if 80% of the people playing the game didn't experience it yet?

That's pretty average for games actually.

Adam Bowen posted:

How come that poo poo only happens in Asia? Are they just more dedicated than us lazy fat westerners?

One guy in the UK died after doing a Call of Duty marathon but it was literally because he sat on his rear end for too long.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoanHorse posted:

I made up those numbers about Mass Effect 3 but if you check achievements on Steam you'll see that there are a startling number of games where 75% of all players (denoted as anyone that has installed and run the game) don't get the achievements for beating the first level/act/chapter or completing the loving tutorial. I believe Spelunky and BoI (any version, but moreso the first) still demonstrate this.

In Skyrim, around 25% of people haven't even reached level 5, and that's one of the better games with regards to early game stuff done.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Awesome! posted:

i havent played the game but that stat would suggest to me the datapads are really boring

No, they're just really hard to find.

Quite a few of them are in areas that you only have access too once and/or when there are tons of enemies around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theultimo posted:

The expansion was mandatory, because it gave you 800x600 resolution.

I don't think i've ever played the expansion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sleeveless posted:

Now that even Wolfenstein is putting Holocaust poo poo in their games it's only a matter of time until people make games that take place during 9/11.

Press X to Pay Respects

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Adam Bowen posted:

Normal people don't really play older games and it's almost entirely because of graphics

Plenty of normal people play whatever 2d indie game is popular today. They don't play old games because they're old.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i actually played prime 2 before prime so i like it a little better

prime had better bosses though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
AC4 is supposed to be good but I"m not going to buy it until it's :10bux: .

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

eh the problem with Revelations is that the story was great but the gameplay was a solid two steps back from Bro'hood

The only gameplay I didn't like in Revelations was the micromanaging your cities part and the bits with the wagon at the beginning and end of the game.

Oh and the Desmond first person stuff was kinda jarring too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

Yeah if we're talking about the over-arching plot the only game that was actually good about it was the first one. Every game that comes out adds new information that is just loving stupid. Sometimes it's better to not explain things if your explanation is so incredibly goofy and unnecessarily complex. At the end of AC1 I was like "Huh, wow, that was pretty interesting". At the end of AC2 I was like "Did I somehow get the comedy ending?"

Like I said, the Desmond first person stuff in Revelations was bad because hey it turns out that he lived in a commune as a child and was training for something dangerous but hmm I guess he'll go be a bartender in Europe instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moldy Taxes posted:

I think it'd be a solid $20 purchase. I don't regret getting it for 30, but I think there's more value in the games where they can come up with an original story like Marvel Super Heroes than the ones where they have to follow the plot of the movies they're based off of.

I've actually found the plot based ones are more fun to be honest. Although I'm really enjoying Lego Batman 2 so maybe I just didn't really like Lego Marvel (there were way too many abilities).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

lol @ all the goons over the years that said "they'll never truly remake FF7 because it would cost too much and not enough people would care"

Of course, the other side of that rhetoric is everyone who said that they'd save the FF7 remake for when they were poo poo out of luck and needed cash fast.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bicyclops posted:

My last big ticket purchase that I saved for was a lot of furniture, and I am thinking that my next one will be to upgrade my PC. I may even buy ALL new parts, minus peripherals, if I can afford it, and hook the old one up to the TV just for emulating old games. It currently struggles with Skyrim even on the low setting, so it's p. old. I think the tower is from like 2003.

Wait for the Skylake Intel CPUs to come out because that's supposed to be a more significant shift than the past 4 years or so.

Actually you might want to wait in general because everyone's jumping on the 4k bandwagon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jon Do posted:

I dunno, maybe they've changed it since vanilla. My free month went quickly from "oh, okay, they're doing quests decently" to "these quests are just masking a lovely grind". I made it to 35 and never bothered to see the endgame.

I stopped playing around Cataclysm and I can say that they changed up a whole bunch of stuff even from when I stopped playing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chumbler posted:

One of these days I'd like to see an MMO that has some respect for people who play solo, but that's never going to happen.

You can (or at least could) do world of warcraft more or less completely solo at least through the leveling stages.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CJacobs posted:

All anime-based media is legally required to have a beach episode or else the creators are fined like ten thousand dollars, it's actually kind of a bullshit law tbh

checks out for Avatar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing Fallout 2, the makers of this game were way too horny.

Fallout 2 got exactly the same sort of criticism that Fallout 3 gets today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
HR was pretty good but I didn't even try to get the no detection achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodychill posted:

I didn't start reading about the game online until after I finished and was surprised that people were way more pissed about the bosses than the mostly crappy, zombie-infested end section culminating into an underwhelming final boss with an unsatisfying epilogue.

I didn't even meet up with my boss or the activist guy so my choices at the end were just "broadcast the conspiracy" or "blow up the whole boat". It made my choice easy.

• Locked thread