Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

I laughed heartily when I read the post because people with mental health difficulties are a constant source of mirth to me.
I was also reminded of it at lunchtime today, while I sat eating a Greggs pasty. It made me laugh again.
If eating your own poo poo means you're mentally ill, can the people in government who want everyone else to eat poo poo get sectioned?

namesake posted:

Hard to see how they can launch the alternative currency necessary to do that without goodwill from any of the other Euzone governments.
Have you heard of Bitcoin? :v:

e: 1960 - Harold Macmillan gets some bad wind in Africa.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Have you heard of Bitcoin? :v:
5 gets you 10 that there's a 100+ page manifesto out there explaining in excruciating (but fundamentally idiotic) detail how greece can manage the transition to buttcoin and solve all its woes.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
there's one out there for Cyprus, all they'll do is just swap country names over

also sir nicholas winton died today, the person behind the transports that saved over 600 Czech Jewish kids from the Holocaust; with everyone involved only finding out 50 years later because he was too modest to tell anyone what he'd done

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I'm sorry to announce Stoke is cancelled, as it's loving melted. Gonna try my hand at this nocturnal lark.

IceAgeComing posted:

also sir nicholas winton died today, the person behind the transports that saved over 600 Czech Jewish kids from the Holocaust; with everyone involved only finding out 50 years later because he was too modest to tell anyone what he'd done

this man was a shining example of anti-bastardry in a world full of bastards. RIP

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't understand why Greggs pasties have become their 'iconic' food or whatever. It's their baguettes and rustics that are actually good!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

they're cheap

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

IceAgeComing posted:

drat, that's sad news. I've seen this video of him a few times and every time it's made me tear up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

they're cheap

That's because they're puff pastry and gravy.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Lugaloco posted:

drat, that's sad news. I've seen this video of him a few times and every time it's made me tear up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0

oh wow that made me well up

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The weird thing with Nicholas Winton is that there was an article about him on the BBC site just this morning, about 5 hours before his death announcement hit the BBC site. Did they know in advance somehow?

Either way, it's a great shame, he was one of the Good Guys.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

The weird thing with Nicholas Winton is that there was an article about him on the BBC site just this morning, about 5 hours before his death announcement hit the BBC site. Did they know in advance somehow?

Either way, it's a great shame, he was one of the Good Guys.

anniversary since the biggest of the kinder transports left, bit of a freaky coincidence; although the 76th anniversary of something is odd to celebrate. They probably had some form of advanced warning that he was ill; he was really very old so it isn't that surprising.

one of the tragic things about this is that there was one more scheduled train with 200 kids on it, meant to leave on the 1st September 1939...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

IceAgeComing posted:

kinder transports
I immediately got a mental image of something like this, because I am a bad person.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Do you think if you grind up piriton and do rails of it it works better than just taking the pills?

Consider switching to the own brand stuff from Boots or Superdrug as they have the same active ingredients and are mega cheap.

You might want to try experimenting with switching drugs as well - my friend doesn't get that much out of anti-hayfever drugs containing loratadine as the active ingredient, but does fine with cetirizine hydrochloride, whereas I'm the reverse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Consider switching to the own brand stuff from Boots or Superdrug as they have the same active ingredients and are mega cheap.

You might want to try experimenting with switching drugs as well - my friend doesn't get that much out of anti-hayfever drugs containing loratadine as the active ingredient, but does fine with cetirizine hydrochloride, whereas I'm the reverse.
Also Nytol (or whatever the generic brand stuff is called) is 50mg of diphenhydramine hcl. Benadryl is 25mg of the same stuff and costs far more per mg. If Benadryl works for you, buy Nytol and snap the pills in half.

(Railing piriton is unlikely to do much good though, the pill binders will make it claggy. If you have bad allergies and want to stick something up your nose, see if you can find Benzedrex anywhere.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

I do buy the boots own ones because they appear to be literally the same thing, I still generally call it piriton though.

I also seem to get absolutely no effect from cetirizine based drugs, which are usually the all day ones. Chlorophenamine works but it only lasts about four hours so i need six tablets a day to avoid going blind, it also doesn't work well in the heat. Also the chlorophenamine ones make me drowsy.

Might try some loratadine tablets to see if they work. Or failing that, stuff benadryl up my arse and piriton up my nose and eat a box of cocodamol. Either way I won't care about the hayfever any more.

Or maybe we'll just get some loving rain at the weekend and I can go sit outside in it and enjoy the summer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If your allergies are really that bad, you could always try getting hookworm.

(This is a serious post, it has worked out well before for people with severe hayfever, Crohn's, and other immune system fuckups. Consult a medical professional before deliberately introducing parasitic helminths into your body.)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I do buy the boots own ones because they appear to be literally the same thing, I still generally call it piriton though.

I also seem to get absolutely no effect from cetirizine based drugs, which are usually the all day ones. Chlorophenamine works but it only lasts about four hours so i need six tablets a day to avoid going blind, it also doesn't work well in the heat. Also the chlorophenamine ones make me drowsy.

Might try some loratadine tablets to see if they work. Or failing that, stuff benadryl up my arse and piriton up my nose and eat a box of cocodamol. Either way I won't care about the hayfever any more.

Or maybe we'll just get some loving rain at the weekend and I can go sit outside in it and enjoy the summer.

Cetrizine (zyrtec) works always (well double the recommended dose did in control studies) it's just that there's a bunch of potential side effects. Particularly with a double dose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I may settle for the drug overdose before turning my body into a host for a hive of parasitic worms at the moment thank you.

Private Speech posted:

Cetrizine (zyrtec) works always (well double the recommended dose did in control studies) it's just that there's a bunch of potential side effects. Particularly with a double dose.

What are the side effects?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They look so happy though.

e: Drowsiness, dry mouth, sometimes nausea or confusion. Similar to most other antihistamines/anticholinergic.
You can spot the beginnings of serious overdose by the mnemonic "can't see/can't spit/can't pee/can't poo poo".

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Mostly drowsiness and it could be problematic if you have liver issues.

There's also the usual nausea and what not in some people, but it's not that common.

I would post a link but you need a Uni subscription.

edit: also it was 20mg delivered intravenously, but it shouldn't matter very much

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 1, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Guavanaut posted:

(This is a serious post, it has worked out well before for people with severe hayfever, Crohn's, and other immune system fuckups. Consult a medical professional before deliberately introducing parasitic helminths into your body.)

We had a talk at QEDCon last year about this kind of thing and it was pretty cool

http://youtu.be/0WC7TNN_MWs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, might just run the risk of digging my eyeballs out with a cake fork for the time being then.

Though I'm wondering if nytol might not be a good idea if it's basically extra strong/cheap anti-allergy medication. Benadryl is cetirizine where I live so if nytol has a different kind of chemical in it I might try that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 1, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's not something to worry about unless you are pregnant or have liver disease (in which case you can still take half the dose). They went up to 60mg and it was mostly fine, but it won't help you anymore then 20mg.

fake edit: 10mg is the recommended dose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nytol has a pretty good therapeutic margin. Even if you take a whole pack then you won't die, but you might end up making embarrassing TCC posts about the spiders coming out of your taps (do not do this). Taking half of one is the same as taking one Benadryl. If Benadryl doesn't do much for you or makes you feel like poo poo then it'll be the exact same.

You could consider asking your doctor for a stronger antihistamine like hydroxyzine, but you have to be careful operating cars/machinery with that. It's quite hard to find an antihistamine that is both powerful and non-drowsy.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

They look so happy though.

Christ, that is such a disturbing/awesome post. Thanks for the medical chat, I shall tone down the excess necking of pills that I've been doing, ahem!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

5 gets you 10 that there's a 100+ page manifesto out there explaining in excruciating (but fundamentally idiotic) detail how greece can manage the transition to buttcoin and solve all its woes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Non drowsy doesn't bother me too much as I said, the cholorphenamine ones cause drowsiness and I don't drive anyway.

If anything the drowsiness is a plus because I'm sleeping better than I have in ages since I started taking the piriton all the time.

Guavanaut posted:

Nytol has a pretty good therapeutic margin. Even if you take a whole pack then you won't die, but you might end up making embarrassing TCC posts about the spiders coming out of your taps (do not do this). Taking half of one is the same as taking one Benadryl. If Benadryl doesn't do much for you or makes you feel like poo poo then it'll be the exact same.

You could consider asking your doctor for a stronger antihistamine like hydroxyzine, but you have to be careful operating cars/machinery with that. It's quite hard to find an antihistamine that is both powerful and non-drowsy.

Benadryl here isn't the same as American Benadryl apparently, here it's just a cetirizine tablet whereas American Benadryl is the diphenhydramine, which I've never tried.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Benadryl is cetirizine where I live so if nytol has a different kind of chemical in it I might try that.
I missed this edit. Iirc it always used to be diphenhydramine and then they changed it after I last used it. Nytol (blue) is still diphenhydramine.

That's an older (first-gen) antihistamine, so more drowsy but some people say it works better for them. Being as you don't have a problem with that it might be worth a shot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How do you all know so much about over the counter drugs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

After wikipediaing it apparently I'm going to get alzheimers but yeah, I'll give it a go.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

big scary monsters posted:

I like to read medical articles and I get hay fever, so. Not a doctor though, go talk to your doctor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

We are all meth cooks pharmacology dorks.

In my case it was through a combination of having a self-hating immune system and enjoying reading chemistry stuff.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

lmao i love it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And in more security services news, a la:

Oberleutnant posted:

Well, if you accept that generally leftists are interested in punching up, whereas right wing groups usually want to punch down, who do you think the filth are going to consider more of a threat?

UK government agencies have been spying on noted terrorists Amnesty International by intercepting, accessing and storing its communications.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You gotta keep an eye on those peacenik human rightsy types, they'll turn on you in a loving second.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet they sympathize with people who we have decided are terrorists when we're interrogating them with enhanced methods too.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Can't remember seeing you post in a while but if you're reading are you still looking for work Seaside Loafer?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

parasitism, symbiosis, what's the difference really

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
A whole day of posting and no-one noticed it's July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Hayfever? Fishermens Friends. Really.

You got an allergy to just about anything pollen shaped and every summer you feel like your face is a snot power shower set to massage? Need to get some poo poo done without holding tissues to your face? Contemplating just ramming two tampax in your neb just for some peace?

Stick two fishermens friends in the bottom of your mouth and let them dissolve slowly. After 4-5 mins, no hayfever. They even come in flavors other than satans bollocks to cater for wimps nowerdays. Simply keep adding more as they dissolve, until you are in a place you can just suffer and complain again.

• Locked thread