Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I don't really know enough about this to do a proper OP, but I liked the first episode pretty well, and would to see what other people thought. Here's my overall take on it.

As I said, I liked it, overall. I could've done without Agent Lily Rabe having had an affair with the dude working on the magic alien rock in the desert and having her husband be the now tattooed missing pilot in the hospital. That said, the premise really grabbed me. There's something blood-chillingly involving about something using little kids (who can't fully appreciate their actions on a moral level) to do evil stuff. I liked that the kids came off as kids and not "Children of the Damned" or something.

I've pretty much decided to drop Wayward Pines in favor of this if for no other reason than this show at least has its internal logic down fairly solidly: A mysterious, malevolent force called "Drill" manipulates the children of powerful people into committing acts of sabotage, spying and (attempted) murder. That's a good, solid hook for at least a season's worth of entertainment. And if they have Lily Rabe running out of a collapsing building to the tune of Stevie Nicks' "Landslide" I will be a happy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The Whispers, Episode 1.2: "Hide and Seek"

As John pursues his mission, Claire looks into his identity; Drill keeps playing a dangerous game

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah I'm on board for the season at least.

I came in with incredibly low expectations but the show is surprisingly pretty decent.

I agree with you that the whole "they are all connected" thing is really contrived, but I'm hoping that they go balls out crazy with it and it turns out the government (or extranational secret cabal) is knowingly behind the whole Drill stuff. It's walking a fine line right now and I think it will fail if they get too serious with it.

It helps, like you said, that the kids actually are acting like kids who legitimately think they are playing a game.

It also helps that I really like pretty much all four lead actors from the other roles I've seen them in.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Anyone still watching this show?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I gave up a few episodes in

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I am :twisted:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I really, really wanted to like show because of Lily Rabe, but I think Defiance started up during the show's third week and I just never looked back after that. I might try to watch this on Hulu or something after it concludes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
It's definitely different than how it started off and I'm not sure how it could last more than a season.

It's different enough but not so far out there that I will at least stick with it the last few episodes.

• Locked thread