Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I know it sounds surprising, but backing up 16 petabytes of information usually requires somewhere around 16 PB.

This utterly useful fact is brought to you by dotheneedful.com and mybossdonwannaspendmoney.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

go3 posted:

i can think of plenty of ways to generate 16 PB but how does that intertwine with 'small shop administrator' because that has me curious

Sorry,

I work for a smallish shop definitely, we just have huge data requirements. We do laser scanners and photogrammetry stuff, instruments that collect a couple TBs an hour.

Gorson posted:

Long story short, we did some research based on a few key pieces of information in the email and believe we have tracked this gentleman down. I have his Facebook page, "hacking" website, Twitter account, and full name and location (city). I have IP addresses leading to his home country but have no way of verifying those are legit or proxies. What should I do with this information? I'm not into counter-terrorism and I don't have the time or desire to further this investigation myself. Turn the information into local police? FBI? Do nothing?

Err on the side of CYA, and safety.

Hand it off. at the very least its a federal crime, that you don't want your workplace associated with.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 12, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

Well this thread escalated quickly; I was just going to complain about a new person who can't figure out how to use our phones, and consistently puts calls on loud speaker for the first few hellos then to headset mode.

Oh and absolutely every last crumb of equipment must be re-used, I should run the concept of spares by them sometime.

or the page-all button.

absolutely the worst people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

webmaster doesn't count :smug:

or MIS people.

or "social media manager" people of ANY KIND.

ah.

and let it be said, for the first time in this thread surprisingly, gently caress PRINTERS.

Basically I'm babysitting my nephew Thurs-Mon, while my sister and her husband attend conferences out of state. So i get to be cool uncle, and let him do all the things his parents dont let him do, cementing my place in his brain as the "coolest guy ever" I took PTO for it and stuff.

I just pulled a 16 hour nightmare drama recovering a RAID6 40 TB volume, ("What do you mean its going to take 340 hours to recover from? This is HIGH-TECH AND IMPORTANT") and called it quits at one after coming in at 5 (the 16 hour was yesterday for anyone who cares.)

As a foreshadowing thingy, imagine on my way out the sharp MFD service guy is pulling into the parking lot, to repair the copier function on the sharp.

are you feeling this?

So, I get a phone call not even an hour later.

*update*

So. Went in early this morning to diagnose the issue.

Ethernet cable unplugged.

Thanks Printer guy.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 18, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

Suppliers constantly calling in asking when we're going to buy the new Server and Multifunction printer we desperately need...
Finance: *Crickets chirping in the distance*

Managing director says to me get me the new Galaxy S6, after he's had the newest Note for a little while...
Finance: OK

yup.

or marketing.

Marketing is always a tech vampire.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

Smalltime IT content:

The current debate is whether we spend 100 bucks a month on ticket software.

We just spent $40k to trial some CRM software. I cant fathom how we can ever make that back.

Wait. Somehow 40k to TRIAL some software is ok, but 100 bucks is something you need to have a meeting on?

:allears:

tell me more.....

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Update:

That 40TB Raid 6 volume is finally done reconstructing.

Apparently next time i "need to do it faster"

That is all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KennyTheFish posted:

You could go internal at a small shop, then you will never have enough people for the workload, and never budget to replace anything. management will also insist on admin rights for everyone.

This is complete truth.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thanks Ants posted:

I honestly prefer VPN applications vs. trying to explain to people how to configure the built-in VPN diallers. Especially if you are looking at using 2-factor auth since using that with OS native tools tends to mean "type your password and then put the 2FA code after it".

I presume you don't have an AD on-prem that you can utilise as the user directory?

active directory would be the way to go there. I assume you cant spring for even a basic (shudder..perish my vile thought) SBS Server or VM?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Guy Axlerod posted:

Thanks for the advice all.

Last time I looked at the Meraki MX, it sounded like they wouldn't handle the AWS VPN which was a dealbreaker for us. I'll have to look at them again, maybe ask for a trial.

Also, we're 90% OSX, am I wrong in thinking that AD doesn't make sense for us?

Ah in that case... yeah no to AD

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhymenoserous posted:

it's a stupid goddamn scenario.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

only if you are making a coffee observation...... :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
but.... my user really needs this special software called boot camp IT ONLY RUNS ON MACS!

(this was a legit request)

:suicide:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

McDeth posted:

Ya, I really don't get the Mac hate here. Well, I mean I understand it, but what kills me is that we're supposed to be helping end users directly here and because this is the SMALL SHOP ADMIN THREAD, that usually means having to do stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with if you had a job at a >100 person company's IT Department.

Normally I think its because in a small shop, you actually most of the time know all of your users or at least have a good idea which ones are the utter cunts that insist that a macbook pro loaded up with boot camp running a windows application is somehow "better" than a purpose built workstation.

In almost all cases they are completely wrong, and just want to be "mac different"

(the user in question wanted to run a program, optimized for pc that connects to sciency equipment with a RS232 port and ECP)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

McDeth posted:

Ah, well gently caress him/her with a pointy cactus then

Most of my primary users are extraordinarily entitled millennials.

Example: My last new hire.

My users work with huge 3D data sets and often have to demonstrate them in the field to customers, so they basically have to have a huge battery, a great screen, and sufficient horsepower to push eh... around 20 GB of xyz points and be able to visualize them SMOOTHLY.

Hence most of my mobile workstations cost eh... around 4800-5200 each.

These are pretty much standard issue for the field engineers.

apparently they are utterly insufficient due to the lack of a 4k screen.

On a 15 inch laptop.

yes i know its "smoother" but loving hell.

Sorry I'm bitter. Kid is barely out of school, rolls in 25-35 mins late every day, immediately goes to breakfast for half an hour, maybe puts in an hour before lunch, and spends more time in conversation than working.

sigh...
/personal rant over.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

McDeth posted:

I literally have to vet any non-Apple purchase through him to make sure that it meets with Apple's "aesthetic look and feel."

Holy loving poo poo.

that honestly sounds like a level of hell below mine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

McDeth posted:

It's actually really easy; I just buy Apple for literally everything. Our IT "budget" has to be at least double that of an equivalent business as a result.

if you don't dress up like an apple tech support guy, start every sentence with "well.... Actually..." and wear outlandishly hip spectacles I will be very dissapointed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Just to let you know, microsoft doesn't care. You will be making a purchase.

Now how much of a purchase is kinda what's in the air. Cultivate a decent relationship with your Microsoft contact and you may be able to lessen your pain. Best case use it as the biggest IT hammer in your arsenal against management for allowing noncompliance.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I found a coworker today in a cloud of colored toner, "emptying the waste toner box" with a shopvac and paper towels.

I have a solid policy of gently caress PRINTERS, so I have service contracts.

How much cancer is he going to get?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

full admin rights...

its like someone just walked over my grave...eeerie

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Well this is what I'm trying to say - IS this in fact good customer service? Is this the most effective way to meet user requirements? The user (in this case) doesn't care if they need to VPN+RDP, or use logmein/teamviewer. He just wants to work remote. I want to provide the best method for that.

it is good customer service, stellar even.

I just personally elect that unless i have a legitimate case where they HAVE to have admin privs, then they dont.

people dont read messages they just click "ok"

honestly while your initial setup works a little clunkily, its pretty drat safe without giving your user keys to the kingdom.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Happiness Commando posted:

but gently caress me if I want to track multiple vendors per PC for an RMA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I hate to echo things but onedrive is pretty garbage. My users could use it, they would rather use ftp.

Which is some kinda bizarre poo poo.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

It works better than it ever has before, but yes fresh install is the preferred option. Don't know how that's going to go with all the oem licenses I'm dealing with.
Boss expects to upgrade everyone for free but I don't know what that means if all I hav have is a win7 key

Here ya go.

2nd paragraph

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

hope you dont have a lot of users.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

Thanks for the link. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to "punch my own face".

Well holy poo poo, for once I keep a thread on topic.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Zakutambah posted:

After the teeth pulling exercise that was getting an order confirmed by Centurylink, I come in today to find 2 more order confirmations sitting in my inbox! All for slightly varying specs; and worryingly, one for a 12 month commitment when we're meant to be month-to-month. And after playing phone tag with them again, finding out all of them for different days. Three separate orders, for three separate lines, to be installed on three separate days next week. And the prices had all changed again.

A very firm conversion with a supervisor got two of them cancelled, but only the Gods know what is actually going to turn up Monday now. :psyduck:

:iiapa:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no. no you cant renegotiate contracts with vendors for a fixed set of seats by crossing them out and changing the totals.

accounting, what the utter gently caress.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Well so I'm trying to think what's really going to be on prem that isn't somewhere else too.

1. email - exchange online
2. crm - salesforce
3. finance - they rdp into some accounting firm's server or something
4. printer server - who cares

So what's left are files and DC. For the straight file shares I feel like I can do carbonite for the cheap solution. All that's left is DC.

I guess frankly I could do something low tech like backup to disk and just have them expect it'll take like a day to bring it back online, which would be fine since exchange online will still work even without communication with the DC.

I just did a vm Backup DC offsite. then eventually did it on amazon as it just really didnt have a huge amount of load.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

So, home working.

Because of immense lack of foresight our small office is exploding with people and management want to start offloading people home, normally anyone mobile gets kitted out with a laptop which more or less works except they still have a desk/dock to come back to.

I'm thinking we start using desktop style thin clients as our terminal server is sitting pretty, I've never used these before so what's out there which you can power on and you can log straight into the office? The target staff will be doing contact center style work so they only need to get to our file server (on prem) use the CRM (hosted) and regular word processing/E-mail, the most important thing is phone calls so anything that works with a headset is grand (hosted voip but we haven't tried softphones yet).

Mostly I'm looking into using these to ensure local storage mishaps won't be a thing and everything happens on our servers, plus they're so simple it's hard to break anything.

you are talking thin clients at the home or thin clients that users with laptops are rdping into?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

Thin Clients at home.

Thing is the terminal server is a hangover from when the business used to operate out of two offices (the satellite was a room of non-domain windows home edition all-in-one units, woo!) where HQ would work off the local network and the other would RDP in, now everyone is in a single office the terminal server only occasionally get used by the odd mobile user.

Of course I only came in mid-way through so I'm trying to make the most of what we got, the thought of using thin clients for home users is a combination of eliminating local anything and saving a bit of cash.

price point wise

If its just office tasks and web/cloud everything I have some remote admin users on NUCs just for price point for general office task stuff its alright for light-mid resource usage

you CAN go nuts with the newer ones a little bit too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

phonewise someone else might guide you there I use forwarded numbers from pbx to softphone clients rarely and usually receptionists are on site

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
VPN and Network Access Protction

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sheep posted:

NAP is fully deprecated now though?

Huh, guess I'll go throw something together and see i I can get this to work. Looking forward to the deluge of helpdesk tickets/pushback from users that adding a step to the logon process is going to cause.

yeah, but if you are new to VPN it runs through the basic concepts pretty well for client machine and account health and what important best practices are.. Ugh I meant NPS my bad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Happiness Commando posted:

My boss wants me to do a dry run of a SBS 2008 to 2012 R2/Essentials Experience migration just to confirm that SBS will start the 21 day timer once FSMO roles are transferred. That seems dumb, since MS documentation clearly indicates that it will happen. I guess I will do it instead of punching my own face. Is there any reason to not load this sucker up with every LOB app I need(including 2 or maybe 3 different SQL server instances) *before* transferring the FSMO roles, just to minimize any chance of poo poo loving up and then running into timer-related issues?

Only thing i will say about ESSENTIALS that isnt outright swearing and frothing is use the wizards and dont even think for a second you can do anything manually. It almost always fucks up.

That being said I did that exact same migration for a client and worked well. Didnt migrate SQL though as i prefer to have that running on a separate machine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Random question, anyone done some form of 2 factor access control for domain PCs was thinking smartcard, but would like to tie it into an physical access control system as well something that integrates with active directory happily and for easy admin.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sheep posted:

What was the name of that program that would remotely change (and keep track of!) passwords for stuff like domain accounts on a regular basis?

:haw: active directory and group policy?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

if you mean local computer user accounts then LAPS

i didnt even know this existed, this is great for locking down local admin accounts thanks!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Have you ever had to work with their support?

this is the best question regarding any vendor.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pipebomb posted:

It was indeed 'organizations with actions and contacts'. I found it shortly after - good call though, thank you!

is it the professional edition or enterprise just out of morbid curiosity?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bob Morales posted:

Sorry, I'm not supporting your lovely off-brand device on lovely MVO provider.

:same:

Not even sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh they can pick from pre-approved devices and yeah a model behind lest oh gasp "my phone broke"