Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

I wouldn't do that. CPAs tend to like real computers and servers and will spend on it. Basically the ones I know use a Windows 7 Pro workstation as a server with RAID drives. Then they rotate USB HD backups and have Carbonite as a last resort type of thing. I don't do cloud stuff with them because it would take too long to get back up and running if something poo poo the bed.

no i suggest a solid onsite backup essentials will do that fine, but o365 will do the cloud backups as well for ohshits and convenience plus give a good amount of collaboration features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

Because windows server is licensed by core now.

yeah thats an 8 core.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

Essentials is a dumpster fire though.

for newbs its ok.

just always use the wizards and dont get smart.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

16 cores is the minimum license amount.

really?

i mean im fine with being wrong

so say i have a ryzen threadripper server.

how many licences should it get? not sarcasm really im just curious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still overkill for 3 users

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jeoh posted:

Sneakyfrog did you even read the post or understand Windows Server licensing? The only licensing thing weird in that setup is the 10 User CALS for 4 people. Maybe 5 if you're counting the MSP. The server is 2x8 cores, so 16 cores total, which is covered by 8 2-core licenses.
It's not just a backup server, if you read the post you'll read that there's also an application server component, and who the gently caress knows what they're running it on.
And if you read the line below item 13, you'd realize it's not just for one server OS. They're probably including migration to the new server and all that bullshit as well.

i stand chastened.

my bad friend.

:smithfrog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

Working on Saturdays tends to do that. Go home you are IT'd.

eh. im the guy and poo poo needs doing so..

pologize thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Potato Salad posted:

I don't think Outlook will be a thing by 2020.

quoting for posterity.

outlook honestly is the reason i have a brokeback mountain response to microsoft.

users expect it, corporate clients require it.

nothing interfaces with exchange like it despite very good efforts.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress quickbooks to death.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
2017 the year irony died.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

For the same reason you have an AT&T logo in your avatar.

Cisco is the behemoth. They don't give a gently caress about you. Their products are 2x as expensive as competitors and 4x as complicated for no real reason. Their bureaucracy is astonishing. If you need customer service or technical support, good luck getting a hold of someone who can solve your problem. Their TAC is pretty much the "gold standard" of tech support, but that's really more of a critique on the state of the industry rather than a compliment. They're the poster child for "make sure you're using a good VAR."

Don't get me wrong, they're not unique. There's lots of other companies who fit the same mold, AT&T, IBM, Xerox, etc... but yeah.

perfectly stated.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why untested backups are a complete waste of time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress printers

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beefstorm posted:

Get a printer contract. I cannot praise ComDoc service enough.

Sales, you usually have to negotiate the price down. But their service is amazing.

yup this is my answer to ANYTHING having to do with goddamn printers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GreenNight posted:

You mean to say the Xbox app isn't mission critical to my enterprise?!

how else do you manage your xbox cheevos though?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

I managed some SBS and Exchange boxes like 7-8 years ago and my god I would never do that again. Im sure its better now (probably NOT!), but Office 365 has been my savior over the last years. And gently caress (insert microsoft product name here). How in hell did MS make it worse, not better?!

fixed that for ya pal.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dont ever presume also that you can do things the way you are supposed to in proper winserver either. if you dont use the fun little SBS wizards for everything it can and will bork up everything.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Digital_Jesus posted:

Much like your first sexual encounter, youll never forget the first time you were touched by SBS.

E: or the time you inherited a network from that one dude that went from SBS to Server standard but didnt build a clean domain and just joined the new DC to the network and decommed the SBS server, leaving your AD configuration permafucked for its lifespan.

lol easier to just rebuild from goddamn scratch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kazinsal posted:

I'm doing a migration for a customer next month where I get to kill an SBS box. :unsmigghh:

Nice.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sooo where does windows 10 professional for workstations fit into that

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a deep seated loathing for folks that slap big ol stickers on like soft-touch plastic

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Agrikk posted:

It’s part of IT/DevOps culture in my area. You aren’t anyone unless you are seen at the local coffee shop with a stickered up laptop. Mine is covered. Dunno what happens when they are given back to IT though.

we are irked and have to spend a bunch of time unfucking your individualism so we can give it to some new scrub who gets second hand gear to learn on.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Agrikk posted:

Well at least I can put your mind at ease there. I was curious so I asked our IT and apparently new scrubs get new gear here every time. The old laptops are used for loaners and demo units.

I shall continue to sticker up. And now I will do it guilt free. :)

bougie mofos

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
always get a service contract if you must have printers, or be the vanguard of THE FUTURE and push for paperless office.

gently caress printers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apropos

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sheep posted:

Clearly not because you didn't learn your lesson, that being sabotage the thing and make it someone else's problem also gently caress printers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh a thing i didnt even know i needed and now covet.

*buys*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i hate vendors that are just like contact us mainly because they will never ever ever stop calling/emailing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
speaking of phones. I am in the process of setting up a new satellite office, anyone have any recommendations for voip solutions that can be remote admin-ed easily without some homebrew 3cx or asterix box and not completely gently caress you on pricing? (about 30 users or so)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Honestly that's kinda awesome if it's integrated tidily

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
o365 comes with skype for business

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my intern said to me yesterday "it seems like most of this job is dealing with other peoples fuckups and them not being able to google anything, its not always like that right?"

:3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

That's the sign of someone that's going to do very well in IT. It gets better, but that's what low end IT positions are, helpdesk, or doing bitch work for the server team. A small shop where they are the only IT person is a pretty good position if they can land it. Something with a contractor budget, and they can slowly bring that stuff in house not only saving the company money, but getting some really good stuff for their resume. Sure they could do the standard helpdesk grind, but that's soul crushing.

eh thats pretty much kind of it, my shop is growing to the point of where i need to do way too many focus based tasks and management type stuff for long hours to do general IT bitchwork. so just practical lessons along the A+ course curriculum lines, and letting him take first crack at general helpdesk type stuff with supervision. kids a bit too hands on to sit still for much of the lecture/theory work so just been spoonfeeding it slowly as we go along. :shrug: its definitely sharpening me up on some of the menial poo poo i had to do at first.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

Network+ is a good start. If you feel you are interested in more after that work on your CCNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
have more cals than people

dont virtualize more than license allowance

have backup copies of everything, and receipts help

-guy who gets audited by MS almost like clockwork every two years