Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gorson posted:

Turn the information into local police? FBI? Do nothing?

Well this thread escalated quickly; I was just going to complain about a new person who can't figure out how to use our phones, and consistently puts calls on loud speaker for the first few hellos then to headset mode.

Oh and absolutely every last crumb of equipment must be re-used, I should run the concept of spares by them sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sheep posted:

"Oh you want $2000 to replace the D-Link consumer APs with two Merakis because the clients are furious that our wireless never works? Not in the budget, maybe next year!

Hey while we're here, the CFO and HR Director need new laptops. What? No you can't use the same cheap Lenovo model we give everyone else. Get them the most whizbang fanciest model HP sells - i7, 16gb of RAM, SSD, ultra HD touchscreen, the works. It's only like $4000 and their perfectly usable current generation laptops just don't cut it for using Outlook and Chrome. Thanks!"

Suppliers constantly calling in asking when we're going to buy the new Server and Multifunction printer we desperately need...
Finance: *Crickets chirping in the distance*

Managing director says to me get me the new Galaxy S6, after he's had the newest Note for a little while...
Finance: OK

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Swink posted:

'We just share our passwords. It's easier and I trust everyone'

Hoo boy!

Sales director catches a whiff of a possible mole > "RESET THE PASSWORDS FOR THE WHOLE COMPANY"

Sales director gets a new laptop > "Do I REALLY need a password for this thing?"

:psyduck:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I got things powered down at closing time so I could move a UPS aside in order to mount an additional one, I requested earlier that our two servers get a scheduled shutdown that didn't happen so I did them manually. Of course the terminal server I shutdown starts installing updates, so I learn my lesson what shutdown the main one bypassing updates since I don't want to stick around for ages. Get everything put into place ready to setup on Monday, but after I left the building I remember I left updates installing during shutdown; not restart and I'm sure as hell not in on the weekend to power it back on.

It's not like anyone uses it anyway, and nobody should be working from home anyway outside hours.:shrug:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I need a reality check.

Our small finance department uses SAGE Accounts 50, Sage drive or whatever the hosting package is running from the managers Laptop. I want to install Sage and the data service on a server VM and migrate the company data to it, and have everyone connect to it as clients and do whatever is it they do.

No matter what I've said she won't budge about migrating off the laptop, every time she wants to upload data she takes it offline then feeds it data which locks out all other users until they re-establish a connection and re-sync their copy of the data. Now I don't know much about Sage, but a server host is the sensible thing to do right? No amount of telling her she's pissing off her staff and having the company data on a laptop without proper backup is extremely vulnerable to being lost (this is a person who had to be system restored maybe five times this year), yes the data gets backed up to "The Cloud" with the cloud being your loving laptop.

"Well what happens if it breaks and I lose connection and can't get back in?"
You have a VPN connection if you don't have Wi-Fi nearby that's your problem, and even if something did break like you'd be able to do anything about it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Zakutambah posted:

Come in this morning to file server issues: slow, remote access crapping out, general weirdness. Nothing too unusual with the old box though, usually just a bit over-taxed, have a look... that's a lot of accounts logged in running odd processes... why is the administrator account logged in... aw poo poo...

An account with the name 'administrator', logged in via remote desktop, from an ip range in Nigeria. gently caress.

And a whole bunch of other newly created accounts (echo, sys, sql, mysql) all with elevated privileges, all with sessions open.

Going to be a fun day :sigh:

Haha, I had almost the exact same thing happen with our TS server. Account logged in as "administrator" but with a machine labelled in Russian characters, MSP just said blast it with MBAM and call it a day... except the scan wouldn't even start. I disabled the local admin account and called it a day, its a bare metal server 2008 install set up from something like two MSP's ago before I even joined the company.

Business continuity is going to be a hot topic soon, and this is going to be one of them.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
In the interest of common sense and stopping meltdowns, I'm thinking of starting up a knowledge base of sorts for both IT related topics and also departmental topics. It's kind of brought about by the "Sole person hit by a bus" scenario and to also devolve workloads, as knowledge is pretty much retained by a few people and gets lost easy or Chinese whispers happens (How do we do X? I don't know Y always does it for us).

How would you go about it? Roll your own local wiki? Butt cloud products?
Some months ago marketing one day decided to create an "Intranet" which is a public website you need to make an account and login with, pretty much nobody uses it because its one more set of login credentials on the pile everyone already has.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Morganus_Starr posted:

+1 recommendation from me for Confluence 10 user on-prem version. You can share a user account here and there if you really need to and 10 user license is super cheap. Also Gliffy plugin is only $10 a year for 10 user license. I make network diagrams all the time and export them to PNG. Also supports importing Visio files for any of your old network diagrams you want to import.

I cobbled something together with the trial of confluence server and made a simple homepage along with another page for a desk phone manual, it's running local only with only me using one user account and anonymous read access on everything which has had positive reviews all around. I'm probably going to make a LAMP server and put the real deal on there if that's the sound way of doing it?

Am I right in thinking with only one confluence user account that's still under the :10bux: tier? I just know that everyone having another account login will just go down like a lead balloon, I mean holy poo poo we've had Salesforce Enterprise for like three years and the Sales team have only just started using it.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww yeah, upcoming disaster recovery meeting and they actually want me in.

Time to school everyone in properly using the file server as god intended (yes some of your user account folders are redirected, no you shouldn't keep critical company data in them), maybe put boot to rear end about getting lovely software off a server so it can be re-purposed as a failover, then maybe make a case for funding to buy extra power backup and upgrading the terminal server.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Speaking of VOIP, what are the best options for keeping onsite copies of telephone calls that are searchable by humans?

We're looking to switch hosted providers and it's only come to a head that we need to own our own poo poo because we work in legal, since we can access recordings no problem but there's no realistic option to keep a local archive of them.

We were on the cusp of getting something on-premise, but the plug was pulled.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanatosian posted:

We have hosted VOIP, and all voicemail is converted to an audio file (I want to say .wma) and emailed to the recipient.

Yeah we have this which works fine, it's also hooked up to our CRM which means every call get automatically logged against a contact. Problem is from a user standpoint you require a supervisor account to access the recording in the first place, but the biggest beef is that all recordings are stored on the providers file servers and not ours, so we could kiss them goodbye if/when we stop using them.

However last time we talked they did mention something about setting up some kind of VPN link between us.
(Extremely important for months down the line a customer brings up a complaint which we require recorded evidence for)

wolrah posted:

We use this VoIPmonitor and I'm a fan.

Sounds interesting, our provider is even listed in the references.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Laserface posted:

Well I explained the situation to him and he said he wants to pay cash, in person.

Haha, why yes lets just jet off for to China or wherever to hand over a sack of cash with a big dollar sign printed on it to some goons.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh boy, on Monday the big boss brought in his girlfriend's laptop and got me to fix it. No operating system found and there were Win 10 boot recovery tools so I'm guessing something got bungled along the way.

Loaded a Linux live disc to make a backup of documents, pictures etc then used built in recovery tools to pave over everything with a Win 8 factory install. I also was kind and removed some bloatware and installed Libre Office.

This morning a message comes in;
"This Libre Office is pretty spiffy and I like it, why are we paying for MS Office when we can get this for free?"
"Because... reasons?"
:gonk:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So, home working.

Because of immense lack of foresight our small office is exploding with people and management want to start offloading people home, normally anyone mobile gets kitted out with a laptop which more or less works except they still have a desk/dock to come back to.

I'm thinking we start using desktop style thin clients as our terminal server is sitting pretty, I've never used these before so what's out there which you can power on and you can log straight into the office? The target staff will be doing contact center style work so they only need to get to our file server (on prem) use the CRM (hosted) and regular word processing/E-mail, the most important thing is phone calls so anything that works with a headset is grand (hosted voip but we haven't tried softphones yet).

Mostly I'm looking into using these to ensure local storage mishaps won't be a thing and everything happens on our servers, plus they're so simple it's hard to break anything.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SneakyFrog posted:

you are talking thin clients at the home or thin clients that users with laptops are rdping into?

Thin Clients at home.

Thing is the terminal server is a hangover from when the business used to operate out of two offices (the satellite was a room of non-domain windows home edition all-in-one units, woo!) where HQ would work off the local network and the other would RDP in, now everyone is in a single office the terminal server only occasionally get used by the odd mobile user.

Of course I only came in mid-way through so I'm trying to make the most of what we got, the thought of using thin clients for home users is a combination of eliminating local anything and saving a bit of cash.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

can't imagine what it would be like troubleshooting the actual physical thin client though when it's at home. Most of my clients have policy of "if you're working from home use your own computer/ipad" and they're in charge of everything up until they can get to the internet, then we support connecting to the RDP session.

That's the trouble since most of these people are kinda old and don't really have personal computers, and have the technical aptitude of "Where's the any key?"

Thin clients are just something I've never explored before that appeared to be the most barebones machine you can get, I was also looking into Chromebooks but the requirements brief changed. If I went with regular desktops would the best option be just to leave them off the domain with a very restricted local user account which runs remote desktop on startup?

I'll have a looky at the cloud offerings, but I know it'll be a hard pill to sell as we're already bleeding money from over priced crappy hosted stuff which we're ditching as soon as.
(No joke we've had two occasions where incoming telephone calls jumped straight into someones live call containing confidential legal discussion, thanks VOIP service)

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 11, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
klaatu, barada...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Today I got a delivery of a single Axel AX3000 M90 thin client to evaluate which was recommended to me, and after test driving in the office and taking it home it seems pretty radical. Super barebones OS where you only need do an initial setup then it'll boot straight into an RDP session, while it looks like it'll suit us well it can also do;

quote:

The M90 is a multi-session and multi-environment terminal, supporting up to 6 concurrent sessions:
- RDP/ICA/Storefront protocol (including Gateway support),
- Virtual Desktop (VMware Horizon Client & Citrix XEN Desktop/Storefront),
- VNC protocol,
- Telnet or ssh protocol (all common text emulation ANSI, VT....),
- 5250 or 3270 protocol.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Currently awaiting order authorisation for way too long:
- Server Warranty
- SQL Server + Cals
- Salesforce Licenses

C'est la vie, I love not getting poo poo done

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I'm not look for something major.

What's a good way of storing passwords?
Currently I keep everything in an encrypted excel sheet which I'd like to do something about, I did look into Secret Server free but it requires a Windows install and I'd rather not have to buy extra Windows Server licences just for that.

Is there anything out there free/open source that's centralised? It's a shame I haven't seen any turnkey linux boxes for this, all I need is something that can be logged into which lists usernames and passwords, bonus points for a web interface.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Collateral Damage posted:

If it's just for yourself, KeePass.

If it's for a group where you want auditing of who checks out which password etc, please tell me when you find a solution that isn't thousands of dollars and/or awful.

Yeah KeePass was going to be the next option if I couldn't find anything else, despite the drag/drop and other functionality can it just list out credentials without anything being blanked out? (Google images isn't being helpful for screenshots).

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ok Keypass is pretty neat, the simplest way I've done it is secure via a key file which is living on our file server under a secured folder, if we get anyone else in I can stack on a master password but either way only my domain account can into this folder as it's protected by a security group.

Cheers goons

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
That's the next step, where the key file is contained will already be included in the regular file server offsite backups. I only pecked away at it while doing other things to get it up and running, so I'll likely go back and change the database to only accept the key plus the master code now I understand how it works.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Today is a good day;
- I retrieved our remote desktop CALs from a black hole, this allowed us to move a licensing server and also add them to our VLSC
- Finally found where local EFI Printer Templates are stored, so they can now be copied around rather than people spending a million hours trying to recreate them by hand
- Got my Rocket.Chat instance properly working with LDAP, it's just something I've been loving around with but its awesome

The office is practically a skeleton crew with nothing going on, so unless the comms rooms goes up in flames we're on cruise control for cool.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I kinda wish more things did flexi/elastic licensing, as in you only get billed for how much or how many people you use. When it comes to things like static licensing where you buy in a certain amount of seats cheapskates usually get all uppity when said seats don't get used, and get really pissy when you buy in extra to compensate for growth, which leads to managers being pissy because their new staff accounts aren't setup because they refused to release funds to buy more seats, and the cycle continues.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've often entertained the idea of throwing out my ticket system and just getting one of these instead bolted to the end of my desk

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Potato Salad posted:

Confluence

Seconding PRTG

Cylance :black101:

I'd throw in LibreNMS as well for monitoring, its ok

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's a bit lazy but if someone complains enough about their machine I just clone a 120gb SSD and swap out the HDD, I've gone though Crucial/Samsung/Kingston it doesn't matter I just use Macrium Reflect and clone the boot/data partitions and call it a day.

We've got folder redirection and and regular old ms office and web interfaces, most complaints are people too impatient to wait for a specific site to load or their machine is old as gently caress.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's not about money…

Sometimes you just have let everything burn to the ground to gain the attention of the budget overlords.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I should've done this a long time ago... buying a cordless screwdriver makes installing crap like monitor arms dead easy!
It is a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I wonder if I can use these WannaCrypt shenanigans to leverage some funding to upgrade our stuff and get some licensing in... haha what am I thinking they won't care.

I'm pretty tired of being hamstrung having a Hyper-V host with only OEM licensing for two VMs, when I want to expand by creating things like a Certificate Authority server and also setting up Azure AD Connect, not to mention putting an end to running every core service on a single VM.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Why buy servers? You're already on o365 so just add the $50/mo to that.
To be honest I need to look more into using hosted stuff, mostly I just want to not have a single VM acting as DC/AD/DHCP/DNS/File Server/Exchange Server/WSUS/RDS License server all in one.

Also I was asked to help out with some CRM integration stuff and found out apparently we're paying for Hubspot.com enterprise marketing to the tune of £2500 plus extras per month for like three people, they better share the loving wealth. I also pretty much had to poo poo the whole thing because it has a cap of 10,000 leads you can have lest you pay per hundred more, add another zero on the end then you're a bit closer to the amount of lead data we actually have. I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination but poo poo dude find out the drat restrictions before throwing down money on cloud products.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sneakyfrog posted:

christ friend talk about all the eggs in a scary basket of hahah gently caress no.

also holy crap dude, full enterprise salesforce is way less then that.
See I already knew we were using Hubspot as I pitched in with little bits here and there but this was for the el cheapo version. While I was with the guys who wanted help I browsed through some settings and went to have a look at what add-ons we can get and happened upon the enterprise license discovery, I almost spat out my tea and turned to the guy managing asking when the holy gently caress did this happen!

I've also been eyeing up bagging a Datacenter licence because this is dumb.

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress do you have 10,000 leads for 3 people
See that's just the cap I discovered and these people only use Hubspot to automate the management of Leads for the telemarketing team in Salesforce. The actual data we're sitting on in Salesforce is 300,000 leads, a lot of which is loving old but upper management don't want it deleting :shrug:

The girl managing this before who left months ago and myself both agreed it was garbage for a number of reasons and told marketing management to bin it off ages ago, welp

EDIT: I wish I never gained any knowledge of CRMs or proven myself the least bit competent, I hate this crap and just want to stick regular IT :(

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Haha sales pipeline that whole department is a joke, they only recently got a manager who is a bit of a hard rear end and knows her poo poo who flipped out when she found they all just hoarded their own Excel sheets instead of using their CRM.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg for problems but ultimately boils down to piss poor management, hence I try to keep my distance.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sneakyfrog posted:

Hi folks,

So, My PBX system is lame and old. It isnt tied into my crm and erp and doesnt have all the gee whizz bang features that get me easy raises. Anyone have opinions on Digium, Asterisk or any sip type PBX systems good or bad?

The one we use (hosted) is based on Asterisk and it's absolutely not out of the box ready for plugging into anything unless you're a whizz bang programmer, however it's a few APIs and such that the Dev company who built/maintains our CRM have managed to build a connector with limited controls over it (Screen pop/click to dial/etc).

All I can do to describe it is; it's a phone system, it works
https://www.ipcortex.co.uk/index.rhtm

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ok since I was moaning about Server licensing, what's the best way to getting ahold of Server 2012 R2?
From what I've been told you can't really buy it anymore but instead go down the path of buying 2016 but using downgrade rights to 2012.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aight really this is a networking question but I don't really know where to post it, I want to isolate our public WLAN from the network.

Time ago we moved office and roped in our MSP to do a lot of setup some of which was getting a wireless network up and going, problem is we have two SSIDs (Private and Public) which aren't isolated and on the same network so any visitor who gets on the guest network could go hog wild on our stuff.

The brief layout is;
Cisco Router connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
Win 2012r2 DHCP Server connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
x2 Draytek Vigor AP800 Access Points connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch

What I've got in mind is for the access points to set their LAN-B for the public SSID, patch them to the switch, create a VLAN on the switch for the AP, create a new scope and subnet in DHCP, set an IP helper on the switch pointing towards the new subnet for the VLAN. Does that sound like a good start? I asked the MSP about it but they suggested getting another NIC for the server host machine?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Ganson posted:

It sounds like someone didn't do a very good job of setting sane requirements. My rule number 1 with outside vendors, the contract requirements would have included this and are written with these:
What probably contributed was an incredibly overbearing and since fired manager, a weekend install/office move at no extra pay, and time... and I actually get to do all over again this year in time for this October :q:

I did ponder having a separate DHCP server just for that little WLAN as there are options for it in the Drayteks, haven't tested it though.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I feel like this should be lot easier and I'm missing something obvious as this VLAN ain't working;

- Router is configured for VLAN10 using IP Address 10.0.0.1
- Wifi AP acting as DHCP server on 10.0.0.2 (Range 2-254, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 10.0.0.1, DNS 8.8.8.8)
- HP 2530 switch Port14 VLAN10 untagged (AP Port), Port48 VLAN10 tagged (Router port)

Devices can connect to the AP no problem however can't access the internet, they can ping devices on that subnet but can't ping the router. Devices appear to pick up all the proper DHCP settings from IPconfig and looking at the switch the VLAN address table picks up both the router and laptop MAC, plus any mobile phones I connect to it... I'm stumped besides thinking it's something to do with routing the gateway.

Network Layout

VLAN Table

Switch Config
Running configuration:

; J9772A Configuration Editor; Created on release #YA.15.12.0015
; Ver #05:08.41.ff.37.27:a3
hostname "Core Switch 01"
console idle-timeout 3600
timesync sntp
sntp unicast
sntp 30
sntp server priority 1 192.168.16.5
time daylight-time-rule western-europe
ip default-gateway 192.168.16.1
interface 44
no power-over-ethernet
exit
interface 46
no power-over-ethernet
exit
interface 48
no power-over-ethernet
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no untagged 14
untagged 1-13,15-52
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 10
name "GUEST_WLAN"
untagged 14
tagged 48
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
spanning-tree priority 0
no tftp server
no dhcp config-file-update

EDIT:
Of course I figure gently caress it and set both ports to tagged and traffic flows straight through...
Pretty much had to wait until just before kick out time to not bring anything down, the biggest problem is reading through loads of documentation which changes between every manufacturer.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yeah when I was digging around around the settings I compared the firmware and thought yeesh. STP is actually off at the moment as another switch is loving things up thinking it's the root bridge, I can't really hang around outside hours to blow up the network to do something about it but I do want to change out the other switches with more 2530's so our poo poo actually matches.