Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

khy posted:

The german scientist guy in the VR sim will always remain one of the most hosed-up people ever in my heart, I loved that character. Spending hundreds of years torturing, murdering, and then resetting people who were only vaguely aware of their hellish existence was definitely something that stuck with me. I won't pretend I remember his name at all.

Betty. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The more social justice-minded on my Twitter feed are apparently up in arms about the fact that you start out in a heterosexual relationship.

Like, I get that you might be a little peeved about that, but we're talking about a nation/society that schlepped you to research facilities if they figured you were a little bit different, didn't like the ongoing war, etc.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Yaos posted:

I'm going to enjoy Fallout 4 while all you nerds cry about how videogames are art or whatever it is you dummies like to do rather than play video games.

hows the tip of your dick been these days

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

tenpenny had the funnest side quest in the game. and fawkes was in the main quest when you had to get the geck. he was a super mutant who was rational and could talk, and a companion.

I immediately disarmed the Megaton nuke, so Tenpenny Tower was just a nowhere to me. don't think I even ever got invited there. the idea of "Fawkes was a super mutant who was rational and could talk" is insane, because all super mutants are rational and can talk, when you're not in the Bethesdozone. don't remember him at all, except apparently to remember he was a super mutant.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

crawlkill posted:

it's really obvious you only read the first one-sentence paragraph of that post you quoted and not the second multi-sentence paragraph of the post you quoted. would you like to name a memorable NPC from Fallout 3? I'll wait. no googling.

Three-Dog :colbert:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Show em if you got em.

you're welcome to hunt me down on Adam4Adam, I feel like I shouldn't directly associate the beer bottle comparison shots with this username

we've already declared him inadmissible because he's been the subject of "that one really annoying character" memes ever since, so there's been no opportunity to forget (although I actually accidentally bypassed him in my one complete playthrough)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the other intelligent super mutant that's just wandering the wastes and being incredibly friendly to everybody, even if you try to rob him he just misinterprets it and gives you things for free, because it would be the nice thing to do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fawkes was also a little ruined by the way he passive aggressively made you kill yourself for no reason whatsoever at the end in the original release of the game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The more social justice-minded on my Twitter feed are apparently up in arms about the fact that you start out in a heterosexual relationship.

Like, I get that you might be a little peeved about that, but we're talking about a nation/society that schlepped you to research facilities if they figured you were a little bit different, didn't like the ongoing war, etc.

huh what if they just didn't give you an elaborate Cinematic backstory and let you fill in the blanks and "play" whatever "role" you choose. Seems like it might solve that problem.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

Fawkes was also a little ruined by the way he passive aggressively made you kill yourself for no reason whatsoever at the end in the original release of the game

THIS IS YOUR TASK TO DO or something, it's all flooding (trickling) back

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

crawlkill posted:

we've already declared him inadmissible because he's been the subject of "that one really annoying character" memes ever since, so there's been no opportunity to forget (although I actually accidentally bypassed him in my one complete playthrough)

Just push those goal posts further downhill, eventually people will miss.

Sharkopath posted:

I like the other intelligent super mutant that's just wandering the wastes and being incredibly friendly to everybody, even if you try to rob him he just misinterprets it and gives you things for free, because it would be the nice thing to do.

I love the 'vampires' who hang out in that one shelter. Just a bunch of loving losers you roll up on and smack around to get them to stop being such idiots.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally figured out what it is about all the previews that are so off-putting to me. They all look like some sort of Nexus Skyrim mod ENB preset is going on and everything just looks kind of weird to me. Like someone took a normal image and cranked up the saturation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

crawlkill posted:

I immediately disarmed the Megaton nuke, so Tenpenny Tower was just a nowhere to me. don't think I even ever got invited there.
You never have to meet Caesar in New Vegas, doesn't mean he's not a character in the game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The characters are shallow mostly but theres a bunch that standout and are cool, so I hope to meet some more in Fallout 4, which will probably outsell skyrim and set a new standard for roleplaying games to come.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just push those goal posts further downhill, eventually people will miss.

I also remember Ocarina of Time's Navi. that doesn't maker her "memorable." it makes her blandly viral. are you claiming 3Dog was a strong character? there are no goalposts, you will never succeed in persuading me that Fallout 3 had any good characters, but you might at least persuade me that there are people on Earth who thought that it did who have some sort of reason, even if it's not one I'd ever agree with.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nuebot posted:

I finally figured out what it is about all the previews that are so off-putting to me. They all look like some sort of Nexus Skyrim mod ENB preset is going on and everything just looks kind of weird to me. Like someone took a normal image and cranked up the saturation.
There are colors in video games sometimes. It'll be okay. I promise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You never have to meet Caesar in New Vegas, doesn't mean he's not a character in the game.

Also "I don't remember them" doesn't necessarily mean they weren't memorable characters, especially when you've gone on record as calling the one game they appeared in "a rape of a childhood favorite". You're kind of not a fair judge at that point. You're also a colossal idiot.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and if when you were asked to make a list of all of the memorable characters in NV Caesar was one of the three or four you could come up with, this would be relevant, but thankfully

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

crawlkill posted:

I also remember Ocarina of Time's Navi. that doesn't maker her "memorable." it makes her blandly viral. are you claiming 3Dog was a strong character? there are no goalposts, you will never succeed in persuading me that Fallout 3 had any good characters, but you might at least persuade me that there are people on Earth who thought that it did who have some sort of reason, even if it's not one I'd ever agree with.

youre a goddamn weirdo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

Why even post then.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I remember the first time I did the quest I didn't know about the override so I did the quest EXACTLY like Betty told me to, then the big reveal that your father was watching you do this guy's evil bidding the whole time was crazy.

I also remember saving at the beginning then doing all the most horrible, evil, vicious ways to accomplish each goal. Like making a kid cry by murdering his parents, or by breaking up a marriage by framing a woman for murder, poo poo like that.

I can see a lot of people finding a lot of things about FO3 boring, but honestly that entire bit was so unique and interesting I can't really understand how people could have forgotten it so easily. Even the 'good' method of completing it involved unleashing chinese soldiers to murder everyone inside.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

crawlkill posted:

hey, I used the words "low standards" to describe a Fallout 3 fan while the stream was going out, too. object of my scorn thought that was really offensive, not realizing it was the least offensive possible way to describe a fan of Bethesda games.

this is legitimately the only place I've ever found where there are at least some people who understand my loathing for Bethesda and their rape of what was my favorite IP growing up. expressing any kind of criticism, no matter how clear and specific, of any Bethesda game since Oblivion is essentially an ostracizing act. people just don't wanna hear it. BUT IT HAS AN BIG LEVEL.

stfu

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I actually really appreciated the refreshingly straight up murderousness of NPCs in F3, 'specially the raiders. They would abuse you before cooking up some crack in your emptied cranium. No one in particular really want to discuss things with you. Its the loving apocalypse.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Why even post then.

because SA posted a bit about Fallout 4's Best Dialogue after the announce, which resonated deeply with me, and when I came around earlier I found like-minded peoplewholikegoodwriting. then I was reminded this terrible project exists after being bombarded from all directions on social media during the stream this evening, and came back hoping to again find sensible people. I failed in that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

khy posted:

I remember the first time I did the quest I didn't know about the override so I did the quest EXACTLY like Betty told me to, then the big reveal that your father was watching you do this guy's evil bidding the whole time was crazy.

I also remember saving at the beginning then doing all the most horrible, evil, vicious ways to accomplish each goal. Like making a kid cry by murdering his parents, or by breaking up a marriage by framing a woman for murder, poo poo like that.

I can see a lot of people finding a lot of things about FO3 boring, but honestly that entire bit was so unique and interesting I can't really understand how people could have forgotten it so easily. Even the 'good' method of completing it involved unleashing chinese soldiers to murder everyone inside.

I'm a bit sad I didn't get to see that part of the questline until later because I found the override room and immediately figured out the puzzle by just messing around for a minute, but also appreciate that you can just do that if you want.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There are colors in video games sometimes. It'll be okay. I promise.

There are colors in most games I play, I like colorful things. In the screenshots and videos of FO4 I've seen, the colors just look unusually bright compared to the not colorful parts and it makes everything look mega fake.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

because SA posted a bit about Fallout 4's Best Dialogue after the announce, which resonated deeply with me, and when I came around earlier I found like-minded peoplewholikegoodwriting. then I was reminded this terrible project exists after being bombarded from all directions on social media during the stream this evening, and came back hoping to again find sensible people. I failed in that.

I just post about stuff I like usually and have fun doing that, its what I suggest to others also.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

crawlkill its ok, this game just isn't for you. Maybe you can try out Wasteland 2 instead?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like how he praises Myron and Cassidy as memorable characters. The only memorable thing about Myron is that he can make Simpacks and will try to date-rape a low-INT female character (which I only learned from this forum), and Cassidy is a generic gruff dude that uses guns and will die like a bitch if you force-feed him drugs. WOW!

Then again, this is the same guy that has gone into hysterics over Fallout 3, a single video game, so :shobon:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

crawlkill posted:

theres no reason to hate this hard on a video game because you had a bad time in high school or whatever

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I just post about stuff I like usually and have fun doing that, its what I suggest to others also.

if you don't feel the need to express negative opinions, particularly when immersed in a flood of to-your-mind utterly unworthy positive opinions, then you're probably a pretty self-actualized person. me, I'm not over hating bullshit, and like all humans, I like to communicate my feelings.

plus, as I said, I expected to be joined by fellow haters, as I was earlier. unfortunately, the stream brought out the Bethesda-can-do-no-wrongers.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

No. I have to be really thorough on why I dislike this thing, and keep going on about how much I dislike it, because get this - I really, really dislike this thing. I'm also a totally normal and well adjusted person. Why would I ever want to not go around letting everyone I dislike this thing?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 2 did have that hilarious Enclave sergeant at Navarro

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

frajaq posted:

Fallout 2 did have that hilarious Enclave sergeant at Navarro

I prefer prank-calling the Enclave in Gecko. That's one of my favorite parts of the entire franchise.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Can Fallout 4 even conceivably be called an RPG now? It looks like a bog standard shooter with limited dialogue options and a very pretty though ultimately superficial Wasteland Settlement Simulator bolted awkwardly on.

If Perks completely replaced Skills then you're just going to get Perks that add +1 to your guns skill instead of doing anything that's actually cool and unique that would differentiate your character from everyone else's characters.

I'm just so disappointed with it and I'm kind of sad to see so many praising what they see in the gameplay reveal when it no longer has the things that I loved about the series, not because I think others have bad taste or anything, more that it doesn't have anything that appeals to me personally but the other games, even Fallout 3 did. So if people like what they saw, more power to them but I think I'll pass on the game.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Other well adjusted people who go around telling us how much they extremely dislike certain stuff:

-Westboro Baptist Church

-Ku Kux Klan

-Retsupurae

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

closeted republican posted:

Then again, this is the same guy that has gone into hysterics over Fallout 3, a single video game, so :shobon:

it is super hysterical to say "oh man a franchise defined by good writing is now owned by a company famous for terrible writing and that's terrible"

my apologies for my being overcome by the writervapors

I AM BRAWW posted:

No. I have to be really thorough on why I dislike this thing, and keep going on about how much I dislike it, because get this - I really, really dislike this thing. I'm also a totally normal and well adjusted person. Why would I ever want to not go around letting everyone I dislike this thing?

really an inversion of the flow here. if the entire internet weren't busy telling me how great this thing with a track record for horribleness was is gonna be, I wouldn't be bothered. the stimulus is built into participating in the werld wyde wab.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The hardest thing for me regarding memorable characters before 3 is that the game was so limited sprite-wise that only a few characters didn't share a sprite with half a dozen other folks. Cassidy looks the same as other NPCs wearing the same armor, whereas someone like Moira from 3 looks distinctly unique.

F4 talk: christ, it almost broke my heart with your robot being cautiously excited that you've returned home. No matter what happened, he stayed around. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can Fallout 4 even conceivably be called an RPG now? It looks like a bog standard shooter with limited dialogue options and a very pretty though ultimately superficial Wasteland Settlement Simulator bolted awkwardly on.

If Perks completely replaced Skills then you're just going to get Perks that add +1 to your guns skill instead of doing anything that's actually cool and unique that would differentiate your character from everyone else's characters.

I'm just so disappointed with it and I'm kind of sad to see so many praising what they see in the gameplay reveal when it no longer has the things that I loved about the series, not because I think others have bad taste or anything, more that it doesn't have anything that appeals to me personally but the other games, even Fallout 3 did. So if people like what they saw, more power to them but I think I'll pass on the game.

Bethesda are even more self-hating RPG devs than Bioware and that's really saying something. They're slowly feeling their way towards some terrifying and ultimate janky tin can carrying simulator where no content will have ever been touched by a human

• Locked thread