Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

graynull posted:

New Vegas also had no large storylines to mess up by doing so. They seem to intend on making some kind of narrative arch which wouldn't lend itself to that. I think essential NPCs are just going to have to be an inherent part of that type of game in limited use. Whether people prefer that to a more bare bones story is just a matter of taste.

I don't play a video game so that someone can tell me a licensed Forgotten Realms novel grade story inbetween me exploding things. I play video games to make my own story. I think that most people do, because whenever I hear people talking about what happened when they were playing they don't talk about what the developer wrote in unless it has a really meaningful impact on playing the game (all the arguments about which MQ route in New Vegas is the best) or was complete and total garbage (Fallout 3's MQ and ending). They talk about what happened to 'them' as they played the game. New Vegas might have had a barebones story but they at least tried to make the player feel like the protagonist by not trying to force you into the oh so deep and amaze story that the developers thought so highly of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You saying that makes no sense to me, because New Vegas was way more "Here's your guy/backstory, here's the characters/factions you're supposed to feel one way or another about, now pick one of four stories to play" than previous Fallouts. They specifically flooded half the map with Deadly Monsters Of Deadly Death for the sole purpose of funneling you through a narrow worldbuilding path so that you don't just peace-out of the Mojave after delivering the Chip.

New Vegas's plot lives or dies on you feeling something for the major factions of the story. I would contrast this with Fallout 3, wherein the more nebulous path of direction (sure, you're led to Megaton, but there's nothing stopping you from going in another direction) leads to a more macro-based motivation for players. In 3 it's not about which monolithic group you want to install into power, it's about all remembering those random people and their stories as you go along. This is boltered by the fact that in 3, more of its locations tell a self-contained story than NV.

Yeah New Vegas had so much more backstory about your guy and you're totally railroaded. What with that huge set piece at the start about your childhood and your dad and how your dad turned out to be the centerpiece of the entire story and you spent the whole main quest running around asking people HAVE YOU SEEN MY DAD WHERE'S MY DAD OH WOW MY DAD DID ALL KINDS OF COOL poo poo. I wish it'd provided multiple factions and characters and storylines that I was expected to make my own decisions about like Fallout 3.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing, you are. There's a reason why Obsidian took out the "And the Courier left New Vegas" ending. Not to mention, Lonesome Road is specifically about what your character did before the setting of the game.

And what the Courier did is fetch quests. Did you just not get that DLC or what? The whole point is that the courier is a generic video game character.

quote:

That's no different than New Vegas essentially forcing you to walk the long way around to the titular city: to try and get you to feel something for the character/place in question. You can get your average player invested with a familial hook because we all have families and most of us don't hate our parents or something. If anything, NV had to do it more because there's no baseline give-a-poo poo about a fictional city.

It doesn't force you. It's harder to make it the other way, but there are more than enough stealth boys and magazines to go a different way. Whether you're just cutting across for a shortcut or defiantly taking the eastern side of the map. The fact it's more difficult does not make it impossible. It makes it more difficult, and that makes it more enticing to some players. I understand if you're not one of them, but you're essentially saying that the fact that that route doesn't appeal to you makes it invalid. That's stupid.

Also, you know what the game does? It notices when you break expected sequence. It notices if you met Vulpes Inculta before seeing him in Nipton. It notices if you have reputation scores other than what you'd normally have. It's more of a sandbox with an easy road built in.

Finally, you're fundamentally misunderstanding my point. Fallout 3 goes over why you should care and why it's so important over and over again. The closest thing there is to any kind of branching in the main quest is the ability to meaninglessly commit suicide less than a minute earlier than moment where you're supposed to meaninglessly commit suicide. In New Vegas you're a mercenary and you make your own decisions. You care or don't care based on what you see, not some hackneyed relationship with an incredibly badly written character that was foisted on you.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

Did I read right that intelligence affects how many experience points you get?

Yeop. Presumably it's a quick kludge to make up for the removal of old fashioned skill points.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I was hoping it'd at least be trees. Jesus.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

if theyre clever theyll leave all romance bullshit out of the game period. or make it totally apropos of nothing like skyrim

Ladykiller is on the perk poster so

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

I will wear Scarlet Johansson's catsuit, unzipped down to my happy trail.

This is the correct way for a dude to wear a catsuit yes

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Duckbag posted:

Wait do we have any reason to think the In-game perk tree will be anything like what's on the poster? I was just assuming it was an excuse to show off their art assets, but I suppose it could be linked.

Also, I'm not sure we should be making assumptions on what perks are or aren't there based on the internet's squinting abilities (especially because they might be reusing art for new perks like previous games have). Seems like a recipe for getting things hilariously wrong.

The Poster's supposed to be for "tracking" character progression. So it probably does represent the in-game perk tree.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I thought a cool story thing for the Enclave empire would be if they start trying to bring America back, but still think wastelanders arnt true citizens. So wastelanders are allowed in the enclave towns but are second class citizens. What kind of america would be complete without rights advocates?

So, Vault City?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hihohe posted:

No. They came from a vault. My guys come from an oil rig.

The oil rig got all blowed up though dawg. Plus they all wore Vault Suits anyway. Other than the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

There's literally zero player input in that at all, it reads like a Bioshock game but stupider

Well, there is, kinda. If you look at The Dadroid's lines, you see him being nice, kind of a dick, and seemingly making an intelligence check to find an alternate solution. So the audition script's about the actor showing that he or she can voice the kinds of lines in the actual script.

• Locked thread