Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Sorry, the best DLC is Honest Hearts.

After visiting the actual Zion Valley and realizing it looks absolutely nothing like it in-game Honest Hearts is ruined for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

khy posted:

You're upset that a fictional future post-apocalyptic location differs from reality?

I was exaggerating wildly for comedic effect. That being said, I have to admit it did dampen my appreciation for the game version a bit - the real life Zion is the most beautiful place I've ever seen, so it's pretty goddamn hard to measure up to.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There needs to be a mod that completely re-writes the entire plot so it turns out that Mama Murphy was the true villain all along, and is secretly running the Institute, pulling the strings, and giving orders to Kellog. She did everything leading up to the events of the game when she got really, really high one day and thought it'd be funny. The final boss battle consists of an FEV-enhanced Mama Murphy boosted up to Super Mutant Behemoth proportions, and wearing a custom suit of X-01 power armor.

Also Shaun is long gone because after thawing him out of the Vault, she sold him to a drug dealer for some Jet.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

coyo7e posted:

She took so much Jet she can see that everybody else is stuck within the Matrix. She becomes the Agent.

An endless parade of Mama Murphy synths, each one rushing the player armed with a super sledge.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
If you give your companions power armor, never ever use artillery strikes. They will gleefully wander straight into a barrage and come out with a totally junked suit.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
But is weak, unsure, and insecure voice acting better or worse than 'so bland he risks dissolving into background noise every time he opens his mouth' voice acting?

VVV: Just connect them to sufficient power. They don't need to have settlers assigned or player interaction, if that's what you're asking. Just check the Workbench under the AID section periodically.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 2, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I love upgrading my settlements, equipping my settlers, setting up shops, and so forth. Hell, it was one of the features I basically begged for after Fallout 3, thinking it was the only thing that was missing. The way they actually implemented it all, though.... so goddamn tedious. Quite frankly, I'd be more than okay with something more along the lines of, "Pay {X} amount of caps at the work bench, come back in 24 hours, and your settlers will have {Y} new feature."

Like, I want all of my settlers to have halfway decent (and themed) clothing, with weapons and armor, but I'd rather just choose a dialog option and sacrifice some caps / banked weapons for it than have to mod each one individually. Same with buildings - maybe they could've gone from rusted down scrap heaps to - ya know - at least CLEAN with a sufficient load of Abraxo? Or maybe instead of building a settlement wall piece by painstaking piece, it could just be an upgrade I buy?

I really like the direction Fallout 4 tries to go in, and in general have always been a huge fan of Bethesda's design philosophy. They always botch it in the execution so goddamn hard, though. I'm sure the current way it works appeals to a lot of people, but it just feels like so much busywork to me.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The main plot is so bland in this game that I am actually kind of looking forward to the Japanese modders getting ahold of it and anime-izing everything. I mean, if we're gonna be stupid, let's go balls to the wall stupid!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I took one level of Cap Collector at low level and I'm absolutely swimming in caps with not a goddamn thing to spend it on. Why anyone needs to set up stores to generate more money I'll never know.

It's the same with Scrounger, for ammo. Take one rank, and go about your business for a while. It isn't immediately noticeable, but in two or three hours you'll have more ammo than you'll ever use.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
For me the realization about combat difficulty (I am specced into automatics) was to never-not use armor-piercing receiver mods. Sure, you do a little less damage, but you wind up slicing through their defenses so efficiently that it absolutely doesn't matter. My full-auto, armor piercing combat rifle rips through human enemies in one or two bursts, and large, boss-type enemies in one or two magazines. And this is before any psycho.

Also the .45 ammo that the combat rifle uses is really, really, really common. I've got two or three thousand rounds at this point, never bought any ammo, and only use one rank of Scrounger.

EDIT: Also, the extra enemy stagger bonus you get from automatic specialization - especially if stacked with an 'extra stagger' legendary - means anything smaller than a boss spends the majority of its battle with you flailing blindly while you fill it with lead.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There is exactly one reason to not consume every drug in the Commonwealth in this game, and that's companion perks. A bunch of them hate it when you do drugs.

That is the entirety of the arguments against using them.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You have to have one friendship conversation with him before he'll start giving you stuff. A lot of companions provide items when you talk to them actually.

Pipe: Pre-war sweets
MacCready: Ammo
Strong: Animal meat
Codsworth: Purified water
Curie: Stimpaks
Hancock: Chems

Just another way Preston can be a disappointment.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much FO4.txt right there. I might gripe about the game a lot sometimes, but it's entirely because of that. FO4 has a lot of really fun and cool ideas that end up falling apart real quick and I just wish they didn't.

Zodium posted:

It's the same with settlements. I like the settlement system, but it could be so much more with a little expansion like settler management interface, rudimentary jobs and equipping AI, better raids and raid AI, etc. Bethesda pulls a hell of a cool factor, though.

Agreed. This was why New Vegas was so brilliant, though; Bethesda built the engine and made the mistakes, Obsidian learned from what Bethesda had done and turned out a nigh-perfect experience.

I just really hope Obsidian is lying and their next big upcoming project really IS Fallout 4.5.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There is no doubt whatsoever that the game is freaking beautiful, and that's a good point. Much as I (we) complain incessantly about the writing and voice acting, Bethesda is really, really, really freakin' good at making gorgeous, expansive open worlds with cool poo poo to look at.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Maybe this is just the new Bethesda business model, and they're gonna pull another Broken Steel, retconning their ridiculously stupid ending into something more palatable with the first DLC.

My vote is for taking over the Institute, re-activating their cybernetics research division, and using a mix of implants and biotech to turn yourself into the God-Emperor of Mankind.

So basically, No Gods, No Masters combined with Old World Blues.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I used to despise Piper, Preston, and Nick because of how bland and aggravating and contrary they would always act. Their immortality made them useful meat shields and pack mules, but that was about it.

Then I realized that attacking them does not in any way affect their disposition to you, nor does anyone freak out when you do it. And they're still immortal.

Cue me wandering around Bunker Hill, exploring the town, only occassionally turning around every few minutes to sock Nick right in the jaw for whatever his latest stupid remark was. It's surprising just how satisfying it is to punch your followers in the face for being stupid. I gave Marcy Long a few shiners too, after one too many smartass remarks about how I better not ruin things for her. This game just keeps improving!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

moths posted:

He never feels like your personal character, because every dialogue reminds you that he's the whitest dork alive.

Patently untrue!

Preston is the whitest dork alive. An eskimo eating wonder bread in a snow storm is not as white as Preston.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

JawKnee posted:

What bothered me the most about meeting your son is how limp-wristed your admonishments of his behavior, few that they are, can be. The organization you are running is engaging in: contract killings, slavery, the systemic undermining of any attempts at self-organization by the land above-ground, and completely pointless involuntary human experimentation, so you can, what, grow more food paste and build bigger reactors and a larger servant caste?

and the best your character has to say to them beyond ':qq: You're Lying!' is a later line up on the roof of the CIT ruins about how everything in the world is science to him :effort: yeah that's going to really sway the career myopic undeground institute raised scientist.

This is why the Brotherhood is the best faction, in all honesty. They are thoroughly dedicated to collectively saying, "This poo poo is just too dumb to go on, let's kill everybody."

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I finally just unlocked Ballistic Weave and it seems.... incredibly arbitrary what it can and can't be applied to.

A newsboy cap is suitable (and far, far, far, FAR superior to an actual infantry helmet, amusingly enough) but a sea captain's hat isn't? It's just.... so random.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

This seems unlikely but I think they also took my carton of cigs and smoked them. I came back to find no cartons, and I sell those things instead of scrapping them.

If there's one thing to take away from all of this, it's that while settlements can be fun to play around with, actual settlers are totally useless except for the odd vegetable-starch-derived adhesive. Create thriving ghost towns with no recruitment beacons!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Commando seems like a trap perk. It was the first weapon skill i invested in, and I invested in it fully. It works fine on lower difficulty settings, but on Survival it just doesn't give you enough bang for your buck compared to rifle damage. I've actually started running low on 5.56mm and .45, and with even just one rank in Scrounger, I had been fairly confident that would never happen!

It's also worth pointing out that with the exception of the Submachine Gun (which sucks except for Spray-And-Pray), I don't think there's a single weapon type which is inherently automatic. So if you want damage bonuses, you can get them for shotguns, combat rifles, and assault rifles with Rifleman just as easily as you can with Commando. Hell, easier, since they aren't automatics by default.

Plus, of course, sneak attacks are infinitely more potent with rifles.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 13, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Holy poo poo, so I decided to try out the Water Baron thing mentioned in this thread and god drat does it work. Go to the Castle, or by the river in Sanctuary, or any other settlement with access to a sufficiently large volume of water and just start tossing down industrial water purifiers. Went off and cleared a couple buildings, came back, and had enough purified water to pretty much buy out two or three merchants straight. It's even amazingly weight-efficient; you can carry several thousand caps worth of purified water pretty easily when it's time to go sell it off.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

What exactly do you ever need money for though?

Rarer ammo types like plasma cartridges, mostly. Though I am bound to admit that I didn't really need to and was primarily wondering how well it really worked. (Answer, extremely.)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

frajaq posted:

I really took a liking to Danse when he did NOT whine about me picking crafting junk when I used him, he says something like "Good idea, that could be useful!" or something

Danse is pretty cool. In my playthrough I basically ignored him after his initial recruitment quest, then was pleasantly surprised when I finally got around to flying up to the Prydwin with him. That entire conversation flows really naturally, first with him simply introducing you to the mounted minigun, but then seguing into a warning about not accidentally shooting at any civilians. From there it flows into how the Brotherhood has a bad rep but is genuinely there to protect people, and how he has commited himself to that task, and how peaceful ad calming the world all looks from above.

Nothing special is really said, but it sheds a lot of light on his character (as well as showcases the more sympathetic side of the Brotherhood) and it's just a cool, quiet, introspective little moment.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Atom Cats should be able to help build the teleporter imo

Oh god, this is the best idea I've heard yet. Just make the Atom Cats a chooseable faction.

Instead of blowing up the Institute, you steal all their equipment to build more power armor with racing stripes and flames, and build giant laser cannons to chisel 'ATOM CATS RULE' into the surface of the moon.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

I've done 4 MILAs already, don't think that's going to help.

God, I've been doing those recently and they are like a monument to the bad quests in this game. Nothing tops the Minutemen repeatables that literally never stop coming and clog your quest log and can't be refused, obviously, but the MILA ones are pretty bad too. I think the thing that gets me most is that they are only partially 'radiant'; unlike the Minutemen quest, there's a finite number of MILA quests. But the problem is, eleven quests is way too loving many when every single one is completely identical.

No sense of accomplishment, no sense of progress, nothing unique between the missions. Just the exact same thing eleven times.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The Minutemen are probably the best 'good' faction in that they don't do anything hideously evil. I do have to admit some sympathy for the Brotherhood though; they're extremists, but they also feel like the only faction that's actually doing things. The Minutemen and the Railroad and the Institute will all shake their heads and 'tsk tsk' when the topic of raiders or super mutants or gunners or feral ghouls come up, but the Brotherhood is the only faction that actively goes out, fights them, secures objectives, etc.

Sure, they do a miserable job of it for the most part, but they still actively try. And that's more than can be said for anybody else. I like the Brotherhood because they do poo poo.

EDIT: Also, they keep their retarded radiant quests to a minimum. Thank Christ.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 19, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

mackintosh posted:

I take it you haven't been to Quincy yet?

That was pretty explicitly the work of a traitorous ex-Minuteman, though, after the organization went to poo poo. In the game proper, and under the player's command, the Minutemen are squeaky clean.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Haskell9 posted:

It's a Bethesda game so I knew the main quest would be written in crayon by glue sniffers but oh man the scene where you meet Shaun-not-junior and are incapable of asking him to answer any of the many burning questions a sane person would have had me holding my hands up like Gilbert Gottfried.and ranting aloud at the screen.

There is at least one nice touch as you're going around introducing yourself to the Institute; everyone is smiling, happy, exceedingly polite, and fails to mention (or at least go into detail about) even a single one of their more questionable projects. Normally I would just chalk this up to horrible writing as Bethesda switched gears and said, "Now you're supposed to relate to them because you see they're not all bad after all!" But in this particular case, there are a few terminals with inter-office emails floating around that reveal Father told everyone you were coming, ordered them all to be super nice to you, and explicitly forbid them to mention anything you might find upsetting.

It at least made that whole thing a little less jarring, even if it's stupid that you can't force the issue.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

also just figured out that the normal difficulty is too easy, bumped it to hard

The game is most fun in the first four or five hours, at which point you begin to break the difficulty in half over your knee. Trust me, you'll be downing things effortlessly on Survival in time.

EDIT: On that note, fun fact I discovered today: Institute Coursers spamming their stealth boys does NOT protect them from the lock-on ability of the missile launcher. Gibs ahoy!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I was so happy when artillery got unlocked for settlement construction, and even moreso when I saw how large an area it could affect. Visions started dancing through my head of making self-sufficient settlements that, upon spotting a group of raiders or super mutants or feral ghouls congregating, could preemptively wipe them out from a safe distance.

They literally never, ever fire their cannons unless you give them an explicit smoke grenade signal to do so. And still whine about groups of enemies they could easily mulch with some sustained fire.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I decided in my playthrough that the Institute was too dangerous to let live and too useful to let die. So I butchered them all, stripped every corpse of its clothes and equipment, and then came back to Sanctuary and handed out all the lab coats and laser pistols to my obedient little puppets. The Institute lives again!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I've seen a lot of settlements show 0 population until I travel to them, then everyone remembers they're supposed to be working at the number jumps back up.

After a while I started ignoring settlement attacks completely - they just weren't worth the effort of responding to - and this would consistently happen. However, whenever I actually showed up at the settlement, everyone was there and doing their thing. Literally all that had changed was some NPC chatter complaining about the recent raid.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, my issue with Fallout 4's writing isn't that it's bad; it's aggressively bad.

They invested the time and money to fully voice the protagonist and include four dialogue options. I didn't mind Skyrim, it was mostly bland but sometimes interesting and rarely obnoxious.

Fallout 4 for the most part is just :byodood: in your face stupid.

Fallout 4, for all that it's crap in the story department, does have its occasional moments of brilliance. Fallout 3 was the same way. I just keep hoping that some day Bethesda will catch on to what people like, and have a DLC that focus on the Atom Cats and the Tunnel Snakes having a Silver Shroud roleplaying contest in the Glowing Sea with Captain Ironsides refereeing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

frajaq posted:

This one triggered me so hard after I so carefully built a mini fortress in Oberland Station. Never bothered doing that to other settlements again :negative:

The worst is Hangman's Alley, which has two narrow chokepoints perfect for an easy defense (and even comes with some walls / towers prebuilt to capitalize on it). The first time I had an attack there, a group of super mutants just spawned right in the middle of the place and immediately destroyed all of my crops in the ensuing firefight.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Neeksy posted:

The BoS ending is objectively the worst for a lot of reasons, supporting their creepy fascist asses being one of them.

I would argue that supporting the Brotherhood is not so bad since everyone in the Commonwealth is about as deep as the kiddy pool, and thus you should feel no guilt whatsoever in purging it.

Of course, that list does include the Brotherhood itself, so...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Why do I get the feeling that settlements were an idea some intern had that the only implemented half assed. Settlements would be better if they took their time with it and added it in with dlc.

I think it was the same thing that tends to happen with strongholding building in RPGs: They wanted to give players the option to do them, but also not to feel forced to do them lest they miss out on things. So as an end result, they are there but effectively offer nothing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

AKMoose posted:

While scouring the Glowing Sea in a Hazmat suit, I got drawn into a fight with a Radscorpion. It burrowed under the ground and disappeared. I frantically started VATS sweeping to find it, and eventually locked on... to reveal the Radscorpion directly above me, 50 feet in the air.

It fell to its death.

I had something like that happen once; I was exploring in the Glowing Sea, and for the better part of 30 minutes, every radscorpion I engaged that I didn't immediately murder would burrow underground.... make a couple of 'pain' noises.... and then flop lifelessly back up to the surface.

Honestly, I can't be mad at a glitch when it's that goddamn amusing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Poppycock and nonsense, clearly what gamers want is immortal NPCs occupying the most convenient home base location at all times and complaining literally endlessly. It helps instill a sense of humility in the player, after all the godlike power they accumulate in the wastes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Pipe weapons do have one use, in my experience: When given automatic receivers, their rate of fire is blisteringly high. Even considering the low damage on .38, it adds up pretty quickly and is a good ammo type to use when you want to hold onto your better stuff.

.... Granted, that only matters if you're using automatics.

• Locked thread