Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I am excited for the video game.

I'm also excited to play the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sout posted:

Fallout 3: Vault 101
Fallout 4: Vault 111
Fallout 5: Name Vault Later

Vault 1111

World of Vaults.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

It boggles my mind that theres anybody who thinks New Vegas was anything but a massive improvement improvement over fallout 3

I thought DC was a cooler setting than the desert.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Thats just the setting though! Everybody who likes 3 over NV seems just prefer it because of the setting.

Yah the setting means a lot to me cause I cared more about the exploration more than the story or writing.

I liked finding cool buildings and areas and just exploring them.

Also the alien spaceship, that alien spaceship was cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Everyone in this thread's gonna buy it and have over 4000 hours play time, like they did with Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, the graphics aren't the best but they are far from terrible, infact, graphics are the last thing I'd give a poo poo about in Fallout.
All I want is to wear future robot armour and shoot lasers at mutated dudes/shopkeepers/dogs, everything else is secondary.

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eonwe posted:

i plan on posting really bad about the game just because it will upset people even though im gonna play the poo poo out of it

That seems lame, you should just post good about stuff you like instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eonwe posted:

ill do both friend

Thank you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah they look waaaaaay better in motion than in the stills which is encouragingly the opposite of most Bethesda games.

I think most games look better that way, or at least I've always been really disappointed every time I take a steam screenshot of something I thought was really cool at the time and look at it later.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

With Bethesda games I've found that you can install a bunch of graphics mods and take some great screenshots of lovely vistas and up close in the right lighting, but in motion somewhat taken out of the game by weird animation or someone glitching into a wall, shadows freaking out etc. Then again these are all planned beauty shots anyway so we'll have to wait for actual gameplay to be sure.

I'm optimistic about the gunplay at least, if only because bows in skyrim were pretty dece to use, and ranged weapons are probably easier to make look good compared to janky melee flailing.

I will take back everything positive I said about the game if you cant still make people explode by hitting them with a sledgehammer if you have bloody mess.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite part of Fallout 3 was turning on the robot factory, and then remembering I didn't have the ability to modify their programming, so now there's just a factory constantly making angry robots and I've made everybody's lives a little more dangerous.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The two common theroies so far are; that Vault 111 was an experiment in Cyrostasis or whatever the gently caress and in typical Vault-Tec fashion it hosed up and killed everyone but you, OR that you are actually an Android with human memories because there are Androids everywhere in the Commonwealth apparently. I think there was a quest about that in Fallout 3

It's gonna be both, you think you were in cryostasis with a family but you're really a god drat robot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can already predict there will be a DLC expansion for Fallout 4 set in the fictional city of Arkham and/or Innsmouth and it's basically the Dunwich building from Fallout 3 as well as that one quest from Point Lookout all over again but it's an entire DLC this time.

That would be fun, neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope the aliens come back again too, the alien rayguns were really cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or that robot what thought he was Button Gwinnett.

There's a lot of cool stuff in Fallout 3.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The list of things I hope don't come back: Giant Firebreathing Ants.

They're too scary.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Ah yes, the endangered and besieged people of Fallout 3 and your heroic quests to save them, including: finding a historical document to donate to the local museum, finding soda pop for a soda pop collector, finding a violin for the old lady, drinking radioactive water for several minutes because that's the only way to get a significant enough dose of radiation for the scientist lady to study radiation sickness.

Moira is really cool haha, I love her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scyther posted:

My memory of the ending of Fallout 3 is a little hazy, but I remember watching a Super Mutant Behemoth (why?) knock a plot-vital BOS paladin unconscious over and over only for her to continuously get back on her feet and grab aggro again before the mutant would ever get anywhere near me, in a tragic attempt at what was clearly supposed to be a big memorable setpiece battle. That was when I realized no single part of the game so far had been interesting, memorable (in a good way at least), exciting, or even tolerably competent. My mouse cursor magically gravitated towards the quit button, ending my journey in the capital wasteland forever.

That's not the ending. That's not the ending at all! You're lame!!!!

Roobanguy posted:

also the ending for fo3 broke literally 6 times for me when i first played through it. i had to restart the whole liberty prime section 6 loving times because for some reason he decided to wander into the ocean, or fall into the earth, or just plain stop in the streets and never loving move while yelling about commies. gently caress liberty prime.

I played 3 for the first time a month ago and had to reset the section once because he walked off a bridge, the finale of 3 is pretty lame but Broken Steel is cooler.

I still felt bad for Liberty Prime, even if he messed up hes still a pretty cool robot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A thing I hope they really work on is the dumb kharma system, just because I think its lame I cant have the cool robot soldier be my friend if I'm not true neutral, in a game where doing the normal rational thing mostly gets you a billion good points.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The part with the Behemoth is the part when you get the Fatman, and the fatman rules. That's pretty early though.

Kaboom!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bholder posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing any Behemoths in New Vegas at all.

Another proof why Fallout 3 is better.

I think theres only one behemoth thats part of the main game in 3, you can run into maybe 3 or four more in certain places but i only ever saw the second one in the capitol building.

i used the minigun on its head a lot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cropping stillframes makes all games look bad

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

The whole opening sequence with the dog looks loving awful, in motion

It looks alright, to me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Counterpoint: no it doesn't.

It divorces it from any environmental composition or wider context with regards to the color palette of an area, but also blowing it up afterwards just makes it look even worse.

It's not like painting where getting a detail from a larger work reveals craftsmanship invisible in a wider view, because its image files and they dont scale well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Maybe you didn't notice but the man was floating 4 inches off the ground.

He's standing on it and the soft shadow is rendered with a fading point at his feet from that lod at that distance.

It's super minor, friend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NightVis posted:

Fallout/Elder Scrolls is supposed to be a 300 hour beast that's a mile wide and an inch deep, voiced protagonist pretty much ensures it's going to be shorter and on rails

Why?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NightVis posted:

switch from emergent to cinematic. i'd love to be wrong but it's been a trend in AAA for a while sooooo

I'm jazzed to pick that up soon

Fair enough!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

call me cynical but Fallout 4 doesn't look very impressive thus yet

I'm surprised that Bethesda could manage to model a german shepard dog and manage to make it look like poo poo still.

Actually no I'm not surprised.

Although when it is mod friendly it might be interesting, but I will probably suffer the skyrim syndrome whereas modding the game would be more fun than playing it

and skyrim was loving shallow, lets not kid yourselves

Hello, cynical.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

i guarantee you this is garbage to look at in motion/play even without the letterboxing

I think I'll stick with vanilla if this is what the mods do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sout posted:

Good idea, that's a good game. Better than Fallout 3 imo.
I'm cautiously optimistic for 4, could be worse than NV and still be pretty fun.

I just started playing it for the first time and think I prefer 3 more as is, so far. Mostly because I think goodsprings and the surrounding desert isnt as interesting as fallout 3s intro but also because I think its weird that before even leaving the doctors shack you already have four sets of full condition armor and like ten weapons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

khy posted:

So has this link been mentioned here yet? My wow raid leader sent it to me today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

Can't personally claim real/fake but so far everything we know for sure about the game is backed up by that post 11 months ago, so...

It's fake, the only verified aspects were taken from the earlier casting call leak, and all the extraneous information is wrong with what we know now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mackintosh posted:

I'm glad everything was this simple for you.

What are the positives of the legion because I havent seen much so far.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I do wish siding with the Enclave was even an option in 3 though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Positive aspects of the enclave: Laser Guns, it is Important To Obey The Robot President.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

well, you can install the fev virus and poison the purifier
i think if you have the that one dlc installed that lets you live past the ending you even get to see everyone dying from drinking the 'pure' water

Yeah that's all you can do, you never actually side with or join the enclave and President Eden gets destroyed offscreen if you don't blow up the bunker yourself.

It doesn't matter if they're a good splinter of the Brotherhood of Steel they're still lame as heck! I wanna be a true patriot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I would save Moira though because America needs minds like hers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The stupidest thing about the BoS isn't the split, it's that the wrong side are calling themselves the rebels.

I do kinda like that they acknowledge it by them taking on that moniker out of irony.

Hahah, yeah sure bud, we're the outcasts here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

The thing I really disliked about FO3 is how all the unique weapons look no different from the normal version of a gun

They hinted at this game having cutomizable weapons, that woukd be neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Vegas doesn't have Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday on it, making it the poorer product by my most important objective metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In a world wracked by constant uncertainty, only the Lady Legends Of Jazz Count system can be relied upon as an objective arbiter.

• Locked thread