Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gynovore posted:

Technically, the EULA for the creation kits gives Bethesda full legal rights to anything whatsoever made by them. In practice, if they took SKSE for their own, the high-pitched squeals from the mod community would be deafening.

They could just buy it from the developers. I don't think that anyone would bat an eyelid.

Besides, they've shown that they're willing to pretty blatantly plagarize mods in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Raygereio posted:

Probably. A lot of the similarities can be put down to coincidence or "references the same material". But everything put together just looks kinda suspicious.
Autumn Leaves' creator was perfectly cool with the idea that Bethesda was "inspired" by his mod though.

The similarities aren't really explainable as coincidences. The concept, certain scenes, lines of dialogue, and general characterisation are similar or identical.

I mean, it seems like a bit of a stretch that both would be set in a vault populated by robots, with one of them showing you paintings, and making the same joke in that scene, by pure coincidence.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

I'd like to to think the canon reason why you need to keep switching out power cores for you Power Armor and other stuff is because after 200 some years the cores you're finding have nearly lost their charge from disuse and time, but I know no one at Bethesda put much thought into.

Needing to find and hoard fusion cores is also a perfect motivation for the institute to be infiltrating the rest of society. Wanting to get synths in positions where they can divert as many cores to them as possible makes a lot of sense. Why bother to invest the resources in finding them yourselves if you can just have humans bring them to your agents?

The institute being a very small group of incredibly capable people limited entirely by resource scarcity, and needing to find ways to work around that, would have been so much better than what Bethesda went with.

E: You could have a nice plot line about utilitarianism and past versus future. The Institute is doing pretty terrible things and dooming many people, but in the end creating a new source of power that would allow society to massively rebuild and advance. The people of the Commonwealth rely on old world technology, but will have a pretty massive catastrophe when the last of the fusion cores are consumed.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 18, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

His plan to force the player to find the institute themselves didn't work in my game because I didn't give enough of a poo poo about the plot to get there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gobblecoque posted:

Or that they carried out a convoluted scheme to get untainted prewar genes in order to make their bipedal Mr. Handys look more human or something I guess? :lol:

They also never thought to just grab someone born in Vault 81 because

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

7c Nickel posted:

Because there would be more, likely armed, resistance than one groggy popsicle?

There are Vault 81 residents who leave the vault. They even show up as random encounters. Nothing seems to have stopped the Institute from nabbing anyone out in the Commonwealth.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

And they toke the baby and killed everyone other than you for raisins, as apposed to bringing everyone or just keeping them on ice in case the baby didn't work out.

I thought that everyone else was killed on accident and only the player's family survives because

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

And again, too drat many suits of armor. It robs them of feeling special.

I agree that there are way too many PA frames out in the world, but I actually feel like there aren't enough enemies wearing it, unless you decide to fight the Brotherhood of Steel. It would've been pretty cool if some high level Gunners spawned with T-45 and T-50 armor.

Rinkles posted:

It's a question of production values, but PA didn't have its own animations in 3/nv (besides being slightly slower I think), so it looked like you were wearing a cardboard costume. Especially when swimming.

It's not just animations. In Fallout 4 Power Armor has its own skeleton, so it's not constrained at all by the regular human skeleton for its animations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropic posted:

I remember on my first playthrough, finding various different Giddyup Buttercup pieces and thinking "oh, cool, you must be able to build a functioning one if you find all the pieces!"

Guess what.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23963/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMPms1-47A

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gynovore posted:

I looked at Start Me Up, but it made too many changes for my liking.

Lowered Minutemen Expectations seems like something everyone should install :)

I'm confused as to what you would expect a mod to disable the main plot to do if removing mentions of the plot line is too many changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bazomatic posted:

Settlement attackers can always appear behind walls if you fast travel directly because the game calculates where they "should" be as a function of time passed from the notification to when you fast travel to the site. No idea if that happens if you fast travel nearby and then walk up.

Bethesda actually just placed some of the settlement attack markers inside of the borders of the settlement. You can grab a mod to move the spawns outside of the building areas and won't have anyone spawning inside anymore.

• Locked thread