Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

xxEightxx posted:

If I buy the digital version on my console will that gently caress anything up if all my saves and dlc were done using the cd? My fat rear end is getting tired of getting up to put the disc in.

Don't think so. On PS4, though, you'll need to reinstall the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lots of neat anecdotes about the development of Fallout1/2. Like Tin Cain writing the famous opening lines during Simpsons commercial breaks, as a last minute rewrite of a supposedly awful intro. First Boyarsky interview in a while, too I think. He calls out, if diplomatically, Bethesda diminishing the retrofuturism aspect of Fallout's aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCxcq4Q3ws

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Did Bethesda really diminish it? I feel like it's a softer touch in the west coast trilogy whereas Bethesda lays it on pretty heavy at times.

I was unclear. He meant moving the aesthetic from 50s retrofuturism more towards just plain 50s in a lot of aspects.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Most of the enemies are pretty good with the glarin exception of the feral ghouls. TBH, I don't even know why those are there other than to reuse Skyrim resources.

My only problem with Ferals was their ubiquity. What was yours?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

He might just be celebrating the anniversary. I don't think he'd be allowed to leak, even hint at a new game if he was actually involved. That said, it's hard not to read that image as anything but a reunion (of Avellone and Fallout). I'd be elated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Avellone seems to have a big problem with how things are done at Obsidian.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway, given that Avellone's got an established freelance relationship with Zenimax via Prey the most likely answer is that he's on in some capacity for FO5. I guess the question is whether he'll be doing ancillary character script punching as in Prey or whether he'll be doing full-on design. If he's still committed to sowing his wild oats across the mid-budget indie spectrum I'd assume the former.

I've listened to some of his interviews post departure, and he very clearly values the creative freedom and challenge of working on multiple projects, and just being allowed to do what he does best. He detested being bogged down by the corporate process at Obsidian. He's not joining a studio unless they offered him something very special (I think).

If it is a new FO game, who's making it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wrr posted:

Anyone have a link to the modding thread? Having trouble finding it and I'm itching to get into the game again and maybe make some mods.

Also, is survival worth it? I'm kinda interested in starting a survival mode game and spreading my settlements across the wasteland.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What is with the forums lately? New pages disappearing into limbo or posts being lost leaving a perpetually unread last post (like in this thread). Stuff like this happened way less frequently before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh no. rip thread

e:or not quite yet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quickloot™ is FO4's greatest innovation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

How much did they spend on purchasing the Fallout IP again?

Probably peanuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ulmont posted:

$5.75 million. I swear I answered this and it went into the ether.

Yeah, thread's dying and the last post of every page is lost. It's why it always looks like there's an unread post.

And that figure really is a pittance. As you'd expect from businessman extraordinaire Herve Caen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Never forget.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

I noticed that Fallout 4 GOTY is on sale for $40 on the XBox. I own it already on the PS4, but I’ve heard the mod support is much better on the XBox. Mods are cool, though I don’t go overboard with them. Is the mod support on the XBox so much better that it’s worth buying the game again? The consoles are an XBox 1s and a PS4 Pro, if that matters.

I'd think not, but that depends on how much time you've already sunk into the game. The big difference with the Xbox version is that modders can upload original assets; scripting is still fairly limited I think. In my case (hundreds of hours on PS4) I'll probably eventually rebuy it on PC to play around with larger overhauls. Not at this price, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It would have been, but Nuka World doesn't really make that possible sadly. Since you can't even get there before level 25, the whole Raider thing just means you're attacking settlements you loving built. I mean, it could have been done in a cool manner as an alternate playthough, having the PC get flat out kidnapped by raiders if you went to the monorail before you could take the quest...

There are no level restrictions for Nuka World.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a playthrough (probably more now) on YouTube completing the entire dlc, start to finish, with a fresh level 1 character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm really interested to see how the VR port works out. Any news beyond the December release date and the tiny bits of gameplay Bethesda released earlier in the year?

Just reiterating in case you or anyone else didn't know: FO4 VR will be a separate product. You'll have to buy the game a second time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Water barony in FO4 is an example of "optimizing the fun out of the game." I'd love it if it was somehow integrated or acknowledged by the game, and I honestly expected a bit more with the game's emphasis on creating and linking settlements. The trailers made it look (in my eyes) like you could set up a trading caravan of sorts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't know if it's possible in regular survival, but I have some many increase speed legendary effects that I can run too fast for the game to load cells properly.

Unmodded? I don't remember ever getting that on PS4 after stacking the max amount.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that part of the thread

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neat new Menze Vault Boy, courtesy of Avellone. (Menze's VB's original creator)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

osirisisdead posted:

Plus the Aquaboy perk, I made some hardshell diving armor.

I had the same impulse soon as I saw the raider PA

e:ah, i thought that was taken underwater

• Locked thread