Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Frankston posted:

War never changes.

9.—The result in war is never absolute.
Lastly, even the final decision of a whole war is not always to be regarded as absolute. The conquered state often sees in it only a passing evil, which may be repaired in after times by means of political combinations. How much this also must modify the degree of tension and the vigour of the efforts made is evident in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I like Fallout but 3+'s overindulgence on '50s Americana' as a big theme is something I think they can lax a bit on.

If they were stuck in weird 50s culture because they didn't invent some computer chip then that also has implications for the culture of other places, Britain, the rest of Europe etc and they can easily build something different with that while maintaining big links to the fallout universe.

Also I don't know when 4 will be set but I'd expect it to be around the +200 years ballpark still. I think the reason for that is the Nuclear Winter lasted a hell of a long time. There's a log in New Vegas where some guy lives for about 50 years and can't go outside because of the winter so sits in his cave vault and dies. In terms of when post-apoc civilization started its probably around +100 years after the actual war.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Romes128 posted:

why boston?

DC was the capitol and had historic landmarks.

vegas was cool cause of the elvis crew and the mr house story.

there is nothing interesting or likeable about boston.

Boston's about as interesting to me as DC or Vegas was, as in not at all. I doubt most people give a poo poo about some uninteresting yank 'landmarks', they're here for the post apocalyptic action and story. Also lol elvis

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Funny they haven't made a post apocalyptic setting as grim as the British film 'Threads' yet.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I could only watch a bit of it, I know they're old but its about 1 hour 30 mins of almost literal retard dialogue.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Yeah... and because the author Raymond Briggs had a popular childrens book ("Fungus the Bogeyman"), every school library in New Zealand ended up with "When the Wind Blows" on its shelves as well.

Basically, anything that was early-80's UK + nuclear war ended up being grim as gently caress. Your best hope was to die from the initial blast :gonk:

The end half of Threads goes from Grim to Grimmer, 2nd generation mentally handicapped children all watching the same cartoon on repeat in a shanty school, 3rd generation stillborns.

No wasteland buggies and t-51b power armour here, nope.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
New Vegas is fantastic, but I'm still not convinced about Roman Bad Guys

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I hope Bethesda realise people have a limit of 50s Americana and really focus on the other parts that make fallout fallout. Fo3 went way overboard with the 50s aesthetic and put me off for a long time. I associated fo3 with kids singing "world on fire" avatars of everyone being that jumpsuit smiley man laser beams lol! and 3 dogg. It was bland and unsubtle.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I don't mind very vague references to a pre-war toxic mix of fascism, social conservatism and warmongering, using a 50s aesthetic to make it distinctly American also works, if used sparingly and intelligently.

In terms of 50s veneration there are a few points to consider.

Cool 50s music played constantly.

T-51b armour, literally the fascist uniform of pre-war American war criminals is the box art and Really Cool.

Despite everything the most Good Guy faction that exists in New Vegas is basically 'Merica part 2.

It could go on but I broadly agree with the point that you can't use a setting like this consistently without venerating it in some regard. Some more thoughtfulness in how its done in FO4 would be great. There's a lot more to explore in Fallout's pre-war dystopia than COMMIES AND NUKA COLA.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Sounds like its just a pure Mad Max: Beyond the Childrendome reference.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Heteronormative rail-roaded start, did Bethesda learn nothing from Gamersgate? I guarantee my snowflake will come bursting from the Vault 111 closet and enter the wasteland with a rainbow flag and a breederizer lazer.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
To be honest I was surprised when I picked that perk and it turned me into a full gaylord. Funny as gently caress though.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Dandywalken posted:

I hope at some point your character gets in Power Armor untrained or whatever, and it falls over and you're just walking in a circle on the ground with dangerous wildlife sniffing you as you desperately try and get your bearings for hours on end.

Taking two steps results in you falling over and the death slow motion animation playing as you lie on the Wasteland floor, unable to get back up - forever.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

QuarkJets posted:

Fallout New Vegas has you waking up in some guys house after almost dying. This is a lot more exciting than Fallout 3's start, but the stakes are still pretty low. There's nothing stopping a normal person in that situation from just saying "nah, gently caress that, I already almost died once" and going somewhere else.

It takes a very particular type of person to want to get out of a doctors house immediately after being shot and left for dead to 'confront' these assailants. Particularly if they're obviously from a powerful position and you're just some wastrel with a pistol and miles of wasteland death between you and your very vague 'goal'.

In terms of defining your 'backstory' you have to immediately assume a lot of your character. Almost psychotically resilient to any form of psychological danger, unwillingness to settle etc. If you're from the west like its stated in Lonesome Road why not get the hell back to California and find another jerb in safer climes. From their casual dialogue, NCR troopers can't wait to get the gently caress back home and away from a big scorching desert warzone and its robot dictator overlord ruling a gambling city.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Seriously? God New Vegas was great...

Haha yeah. I loved in the Boomers quest where you're asked to help in the medical tent, and you can say 'Yes, I've GOT THIS [Lie] [Medicine 14/60].' And proceed to kill / main the patients until you're told to get the gently caress out you incompetent fuckhead.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Working with Microsoft was refreshing.

Making great games is truly its number one focus.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Fallout deserved better, YOU deserved better.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Fallout 5 should be set 70 years post new vegas, focusing further on the post-post apocalyptic setting. The NCR has spread across the continent, and renamed itself the 'New American Republic'. The NCRs values of liberty, democracy and old american values has produced a society not unlike the long lost dream of old-world America itself. Contact has been made with other new, makeshift nations overseas:

The New Kentish Republic, now the New British United Kingdom has unified and their old values of constitutional monarchy, democracy and British values has produced a society not unlike the long lost dream of old-world Britain itself.

Society runs more or less the same way it did pre-war, but challenges remain. A new lone wanderer emerges in Eastern Yankstate and the NAR calls upon them to help keep order in the harsh wasteland, optic fibre cables for broadband is a key concern of citizens, with tensions between various factions (now wrapped in the flags of so called political parties) coming to the fore. But to the east a new foe emerges which seeks to undo what the west has done, because War, War never changes.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1fq5HPfXY

This remains the best dialogue in a game I've seen, the same guys who did New Vegas too I think. More of this in a Fallout setting would be great - after bethesda let us gently caress around with dogs and super mutants some more.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Legit question: Is Lol teddy bear rocket launcher xDxD an accepted ~This is what makes Fallout Fallout~ thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
They shoot little balls of metal really fast and they hit people really fast so they die

• Locked thread