Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Flaky posted:

I hope they don't go too overboard with the zany colours ala. SR3, GTA5 but it looks like we are in safe hands. I am sure there will be weather and lighting mods for this to tone things down a bit.

how does gta5 have zany colours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

They aren't on the menus. I hope they didn't just relegate all the skills to the SPECIAL stats, that would be dumb.

knowing bethesda i'd put money on them replacing them with perks, which would kind of blow.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Blistex posted:

"700+ weapons mods!" - Bethesda

#1 <single shot .22 rifle>
#2 <single shot .22 rifle with repaired stock>
#3 <single shot .22 rifle with silencer>
#4 <single shot .22 rifle with smooth action bolt>
#5 <single shot .22 rifle with scope>
#6 <single shot .22 rifle with match barrel>
#7 <single shot .22 rifle with hair trigger>
#8 <single shot .22 rifle with laser sight>
#9 <single shot .22 rifle with 5 round magazine>
#698 <single shot .22 rifle with Shutterfly sticker on stock>
#699 <single shot .22 with VaultTec sticker on stock>
#700 <10mm SMG silencer>

Please don't be this!

well 700 [i]possiblities[i] doesn't really pan out to a ton of weapons and mods, and it looked like there was a fairly large selection when they showed them off. look slike they all change the look of the weapon considerably as well which I like

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Volkerball posted:

requires rank 1 science, eh?

hm; if they've simplified the skills down to perk-style ranks i'm not entirely opposed to the idea. seems like it would make more sense in a first person actionj rpg than a system that tries to linearly scale say your gun accuracy with a skill number. could have a similar issue to skyrim though in that every character you make is basically the same, or can potentially be made the same at any point

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Flaky posted:

Haven't actually played it, just inferring from stuff I've seen. I just prefer a subtler colour palette in general. Think of it like dynamic range for colour. Bright colours are used to signal important things, so having everything be really vibrant actually takes away from the visual impact. Especially given the setting. Imo things like the weathering on display are far more interesting visually, and require far more attention to detail.

for the record gta5 is fairly realistic colour wise. i will agree that some of the textures in F04 look a little garish and unfiltered though, you definitely have a point there

also the hud is very odd; that garish digital looking lime green doesn't really gel with the aesthetic the game's going for, and indeed i don't really see it gelling with any aesthetic. i didn't even like the FO3 HUD that much but it looked grittier and more in keeping with the world than this. hopefully it's just alpha poo poo and they sandblast the gently caress out of it before they go gold

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm still amazed that SPECIAL miraculously survived into the new game.

SPECIAL is iconic and they wouldn't squander that kind of fan goodwill. My inner sperg was a bit miffed when I saw that all the SPECIAL stats in the screen where you choose them start at 1 though

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

In FO3 you could change the color/opacity of the hud, so I don't see it being much of a problem. If it's terrible as shipped, then it ought to be changeable.

It's not really a colour/opacity issue as much as it looks like it has no texture. Feels like it was made in MSPaint. There'll prob be a mod to analogify it though, or even better one that just replaces it with classic fallout dialogues.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

that's a very flattering thing to call an obvious texture glitch (but seiously give me badass ladies bethesda. more badass ladies, less kids with guns and cavetowns)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

Hopefully I'll still be able to play as an rear end in a top hat.

...will an Int 1 retard run be possible too???

now that your dialogue is voiced that's even less likely than ever before unfortunately

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Volkerball posted:

SPECIAL at least provides some customization that skyrim didn't have anywhere, but i hope it's not a the more you shoot guns, the higher your guns skill is kind of deal.

i hope this isn't the ase becasue it never loving works properly, and I say this as someone who quite liked oblivion

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

The dialog wheel and voiced protag isn't a death sentence for roleplaying. I mean, Alpha Protocol had it and it did really good at letting you play a certain way. But I feel that if there's no skills, it would make every character feel really similar.

this is probably not gonna come anywhere close to alpha protocol in terms of pure mental player choice and roleplaying, though it'll likely equal it in jank.

also i love your avatar. annie :love:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

gently caress sakes, it seems like they are going the Skyrim route with character stats in Fallout 4, I was afraid of that

It doesn't look nearly as dull as skyrim tbf, although these are directed previews. I think Bethesda could excel if they just embrace the camp stupidity inherent to their games rather than 'boring interchangeable nordic man gives you a quest to kill 10 bandits, a quest so dull it was literally made by a computer.' Like keep the setting fairly serious and low-key but juxtapose it with a lot more fun stuff. Not 'zany' but imaginative poo poo like they did with the dark brotherhood in Oblivion or something. Just spitballing here.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

If you pick the "I'm gay" option

todd i will pay over the odds if you put in the ability to play as a hardcore gbs poster. implement dynamic cucking, you know you want to

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

year199X posted:

Maybe RPGs aren't your bag then because making you artificially bad at something that you slowly become artificially better at is kind of the point.

I think the point is that abstracting your skill with guns to a number works, or at least feels better with turn-based diceroll combat than it does when you're actually aiming and firing the gun yourself. In that situation you could make the skill affect things like your accuracy which kind of undermines being able to aim yourself and makes the combat feel worse than it should (or on the opposite end weirdly, overpoweringly accurate) or have it affect things like the damage and rate of fire, which makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever. It's a difficult one, and I'm fine with simplifying it as long as it doesn't render the whole point of having skills, perks and stats in the first place (to build and roleplay a CHARACTER who is DIFFERENT to another character you might build) moot.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I think the general solution everyone seems to have settled on for 'action rpg with player skill based combat' is to have a system where you pick from a pool of discrete powerful passive and active abilities, or upgrade your pool of existing ones in a tree system of sorts. mass effect 3 kind of did this and was actually legit fun to play, although that mainly worked as that game had a rigid class system with more or less predefined abilities, and there wasn't exactly much variation within each class. with bethesda games where nothing like that's enforced I could definitely see all the characters getting very samey. stats/skills are something they've been struggling with for years and never got quite right; going from 'potentially game breaking' to just 'kind of redundant.'

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

The Witcher 3 shows like the first sentence of dialog. Fallout 4's way looks really goofy. Like they've gone back in time to Oblivion, where you'd just bark out poo poo like RUMORS or DARK BROTHERHOOD or EMPEROR and poo poo would show up, but now it's "Press Y to GET FOOD."

to oblivion's credit they probably had to make it readable on SDTVs (though that theory kind of falls apart when i remember morrowind's ui. i have no loving idea how that worked on the og xbox)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

year199X posted:

Some people find the gunplay in deus ex fun :shrug:

The idea is you're supposed appreciate the transition from weak idiot to badass flying power armor death machine. Yeah it might be frustrating that you're aiming right at some guy's head with a sniper rifle and the bullet goes 45 degrees from where you were aiming, but once you master the gun skill and you don't need to worry about that anymore, you get that sense of progression as a character, which is a trademark feature of any RPG. Making gun skills tied to damage or fire rate is pretty dumb though, I'll agree with that, because IIRC the original fallout games never did that.

It is pretty dumb that you can't even attempt to pick locks without points dumped into the skill, unlike oblivion which let you fatfinger your way through any lock if you were good at the minigame.

The gunplay in deus ex 1 is pretty much the platonic, unadulterated ideal of the stat-based action RPG in that it's so clearly tied to your character's skill and makes absolutely no effort to hide it. As a result it feels horrible and synthetic whether you're at the highest or lowest skill. I wouldn't necessarily say that anyone actually likes the gunplay but I certainly like what it represents. The real challenge is making the gunplay (for example) feel good and believable while also communiccating your character's skill, without negating both and creating a system that feels like Fallout 3. Thinking about it I don't really see any major reason why this couldn't happen, as long as they weren't afraid to make your character palpably poo poo at something.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Witcher 2 first dialogue options
"Roche offers you his hand while you're handcuffed"

Geralt chooses the option that says "funny"

Geralt says gently caress YOU!

well it's a smarmy quip if I remember correctly

thing with the witcher is it's not as open ended as these games (even TW3); the character is predefined and is therefore much, less awkward to write dialogue and create skilltrees for. geralt does what geralt does and you just nudge his trajectory a bit.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

year199X posted:

Yeah, I think the system like skyrim does is a pretty good compromise, where you get nifty perks that make your shoot bangs overall better instead of arbitrarily deciding to make you miss less.

I expect it to be pretty rtadically revamped obviously since skyrim's perk system supplements skills (which this game supposedly won't have) and a lot of the perks are lame percentage increases that really shouldn't be in there. There's potential in the system but they have to do it right (for the record I thought skyrim's system had potential but ended up being kind of dull)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The gameplay in Fallout games is loving garbage, and I'm not talking garden-variety "oh it's a bad game", I'm talking a clunky, bug-ridden, poorly thought out mess with amateur animations to boot. Even New Vegas, the one people say is the good one.

edit: And this is coming from someone who has like 100 hours in New Vegas and almost as many in 3.

I started playing Fallout 1 today and it legit no joke feels less clunky than the gamebryo ones. Like I can pick up items and move them around with the mouse and it's not trying to have FPS controls but have a half-second delay between me pulling the trigger and bullets coming out. I unload a submachine gun on auto mode into some guy at close range and his little sprite is literally torn apart into a bloody pulp whereas in the gamebryo games he just sort of stands there and maybe clutches his head a bit.

the lack of scrollbars in menus and stuff like that is kinda disconcerting (also my follower trapped me between a bed and a wall and wouldn't go away, then beat me to death when I tried to shoot my way out) but it's honestly such a blast; this is the first time the older games have truly clicked for me. also it feels a lot more manageable for me than the infinity engine games where you have like 5 party members that disappear in a clusterfuck of particle effects and confusion in every battle :(

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 15, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Goddamn is that cartoonishly bright. Oh well, at least I can distinguish the background from the dark smudges that are apparently super mutants.

it's in the daytime?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

You Mad Bro? 2 hours ago
I have been a Fallout fan for a Long Time! This game is going to be bad rear end in my opinion regardleds because i am a fan! But i know for a Fact that this gameplay will not look the exact same on my PS4. This is just Pumped Up Super Graphics to show off what the "Can do" or it Will look this good PC. Either way i am still hyped for Fallout4!

low hanging fruit i know but i admire You Mad Bro?'s simple minded optimism and you should too

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Yeah how dare people spend $50 on the sequel to a game from a studio whose games most people spend 80+ hours players.

Literally. $50.

Holy poo poo. That's like. 6 Hours of minimum wage labour.

please stop using this as an example

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress that. I have never been able to connect to any media that uses missing/dead spouse/children as a 'thing'. it's lazy and bullshit.

if you're offended by lazy bullshit hack writing why are you playing loving videogames

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

crawlkill posted:

welcome to the voiced protagonist! please, can I decide a few things for you?

I don't particularly mind being breederized, whatever, but the implications for player agency in general are hilariously grim

'breederized'? where'd you pick that up?

honestly a voiced main character doesn't really restrict player agency very much more compared to having fully voiced NPCs (in terms of time and development resources being allocated to different quest paths and such)

and in terms of the story a pre-established character can have more complex goals and motivations that make it easier to tell something decent. i mean considering bethesda's wriitng and the playerbase they're aiming it at they likely won't, but it's possible. what's more likely to happen is that they added the prewar background for flavour (a nuclear family? holy poo poo this is deep son) or for some twist down the line in the main story (holy poo poo you're a robot etc.) i sincerely doubt your character'll be much more than a blank slate beyond the tiny bit of backstory you get in literally any rpg. not exactly a make-or-break factor for whether the game's worth playing though

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

crawlkill posted:

you think it's unreasonable for minorities playing a game in a series that has traditionally allowed them full (if largely in-their-own-heads) representation to be disappointed that a sequel would strip that by forcing a particular identity and strongly identity-linked history on the player character?

to extrapolate, you're saying it wouldn't be okay if women were disappointed if the protagonist were mandated to be male. "bad people from the wider [target] audience wouldn't like it if the character was [required to be] a woman, so that makes it okay for THE WOMEN to act like that." well, yeah! yeah, it does. the point is it's a pointless exclusion that erupts from nowhere and breaks the Fallout tradition of the cipher player character.

you gotta try harder.

yeah you're right; it's a pretty needless change that no one really wanted that has the chance to alienate a small portion of their audience who are already alienated and underrepresented in games as a whole.

you're absolutely right but I just can't empathise with your sheer unbridled anger at it. just as i've no desire whatsoever to defend it as a narrative device i just don't think it's that offensive. like, it's a lovely story decision in a bethesda game. grass grows, birds fly, sun shines and bethesda writes poorly. it's forgettable apart from its dancing on the grave of an ambiguity beloved by a small portion of the fanbase. don't really know where i'm going with this but i think most people in this thread understand your anger, even if they're unable to empathise with its sheer vehemence

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I totally get that having more representation in games is something to strive for, but it seems like in the case of Fallout 4, they wanted to tell a story with a specific character in a specific situation and background. It's a departure from the previous games that allowed you to fill in those blanks, but it's not the same as "erasure". It would be worse if they didn't give any established background but also didn't enable you to express your gender/ethnicity/sexuality other than a presupposed norm. That's not what's happening here, or at least as far as we have seen.

We don't know the plot or how the history behind the characters' family and spouse will come together in the larger story yet. So this line of criticism seems more like whining. Fallout, in the past entries, has done a pretty good job of representing characters with diverse backgrounds even at the NPC level, so maybe let's see how they go for the whole thing first?

yeah i'm skeptical that it or your character really develops that much more depth. like whatever it it's not going to be a revelation or anything

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

crawlkill posted:

breeder is just a super fun word for straight people, for the most part factual and not quite actually offensive but something everyone notices. no idea where I picked it up, been using it for years and years.

oh ok cool it just sounded reeeeealllly /r/childfree to my sleep deprived mind

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

actually come to think of it the predefined background not only flies in the face of fallout tradition but also bethesda tradition. who from either fanbase actually wanted something like this?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Encourage scavenging not hoarding.

probably not gonna have that amount of materials in the game proper tbf

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

How does it feel to incentive the literal raping of a beloved video game series?????

learn a better metaphor and go gently caress yourself

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

"Mods created on the PC, will be able to be transferred, played and shared, for free - on Xbox One. #Fallout4 #E32015"

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/610491547595902977

LMAO if that means you have to pay for mods on PC while they're free on XBone.

yeah it in no way means that. if they want to bring paid mods over there is absolutely no way they'd pass up the potential revenue from consoles

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5iowfsgiDs

the microsoft gameplay. laser muskets!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Eonwe posted:

rape is not a good or funny joke

hope this helps you all

yeah please stop using it to describe loving videogames. get some class. hell, get some imagination.

like idk 'fallout 4 does to the series what repeatedly pummelling your nuts with a meat tenderiser does to your fertility' or something

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 15, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

I'm super happy the dog will have a tackle attack, the dogs companion in Fallout 3 and NV always felt useless to use

it's mildly disconcerting how every game dog is trained to rip throats out in the same ridic brutal way

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Okay, Fallout 4 is like having some rear end in a top hat put their quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber repeatedly against your will. Nothing but constant parabolic destabilization of the fission singularities all the way.

that's better

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Raygereio posted:

So about that modding on the xbox thing.
I can't help but wonder if Bethesda actually thought that through. The biggest problem with Skyrim's Steam Workshop was that it tried to present modding Skyrim as a one-click-and-you're-done affair. This just isn't true. A mod user has to take care of a mod's dependencies, compatibility, set a proper load order, etc. This is also one of the core problems with any pay-for-mods scheme for any Bethesda game.
Despite claiming they're all about modding, Bethesda seems to be content to just sit back after releasing a toolset and let the modding community take care everything else that makes modding work. It wasn't until Skyrim that Bethesda implemented their own Loadorder manager and even then it was still a half-assed piece of poo poo compared to what the modding community made.

The only way I can see this working is if Bethesda releases selected mods that they've checked to be working properly and be compatible with each other as free DLC on the console, or something like that.
That or Bethesda has to seriously overhaul how modding their games work.

bleh it'll be fine for the vast, vast majority of uses; most people won't use it at all and those that do will probably only add a few little things. regardless the mods probably get vetted and they've likely done some optimizations to make it stable, or at least restirct the more dangerous functions.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

They announced last night that smartphones will be getting an app when the game releases that allows your phone to connect over wifi to the game and act as your PipBoy.

also if you pay massively over the odds you get a cheap plastic pipboy you can put your phone in

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Never discount the fact that people will buy that poo poo off you later for a lot. I sold a Fallout lunchbox for like $100.

The iOS game is a fun little time waster, you get these lunchboxes of items every so often for completing mini goals and they can unlock characters from the previous games. Alistair Tenpenny lives on in Vault 420.

To the guy above, the pregnant women take a while to give birth. They're pregnant, give them some time! (Don't forget they can still work in the power room or whatever while pregnant)

i bought the duke nukem balls of steel edition like a mug so never again. i've rationalised it in my mind that it was the purest, distilled expression of AAA gaming and don't need a to sabotage my self-actualization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

I liked that too, but I'll probably just use a normal laser rifle because I'm boring :smith:

I legit love the look of the laser rifle and think it's cool as hell. also in the gamebryo games it feels nicer to shoot than the weird nothing that the plasma rifle ends up being

• Locked thread