Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I cannot wait to listen to troy baker go "hunh...." or "lookie what we got here..." every time I go through a box

If Bethesda is smart they'll just hire Matthew Mercer. It's cheaper and they'll get the same performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Uh, like the character design for the main character? That's something that people thought would be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh wait, if you mean the Reddit stuff, that's all obviously bullshit. I thought you were talking about Kotaku's leak.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Mothership Zeta sucks, Broken Steel has a pretty cool final base level but also adds really lovely monsters to the overworld and awkwardly retcons the ending, and Point Lookout is pretty decent aside from the overpowered hillbillies. I even somewhat enjoyed the dumb pulpy story of it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Most pre-Oblivion open-world RPGs tended to feature beef gates and no level scaling though. It makes going back to areas rewarding and gives a nice edge to exploration, because it's actually dangerous. Clearly Bethesda's style resonates with people, but let's not pretend there aren't alternatives.

P.S. : New Vegas went overboard with the geographical limits. Having roughly two routes at the beginning feels too limiting for a game released just two years after Fallout 3.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Morrowind had some really cool world-building, but the guy that was largely responsible for some of the weirdest stuff there is gone, and, as far as I know, most of the leads have left Bethesda too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Liam Neeson is a bad voice actor and a boring actor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They've been doing it for three games. They'll do it for a fourth.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Why wouldn't Bethesda just hire new blood if they need someone else? There's nothing to gain from getting people from Obsidian specifically, and considering the two devs are at the opposite costs of the United States, it'd be kind of a logistical nightmare too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Raygereio posted:

It's not even in the game. That's how little Bethesda did with it.
Seriously though: I think I've only seen that as a fan-explanation. Was there actually anything regarding Autumn's goal & motivation in FO3?

Autumn is probably the only villain in Fallout 3 that has a reasonably decent motivation: he wants to control the water supply in DC to create an Enclave-led fascist state of sorts. It's not really well-explained in game, but still, it's there.

Of course, that doesn't really explain the need to fight a war over who turns on the purifier first.. :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I haven't even heard that many complaints about the game's usage of primary colors. I guess most of the people that were angry about that vented during the New Vegas days.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I don't know who Guy Fieri is, but he can't be worse than Liam Neeson.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgdpv6K0Ec

You've convinced me, the guy is perfect for the part.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

On that note, I thought Myron invented Jet in Fallout 2. How did it become so prevalent on the east coast so quickly?

Bethesda.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's no proof it's a "rule", but Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian, mentioned that it was a request from Bethesda when making Fallout: New Vegas, and that they wanted the franchise to keep going forward.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell, didn't one Obsidian dev come out and say that several features were working as intended when they sent NV off to QA, only for them to come out on store shelves completely broken?

This was never said, by the way. I'm guessing you're thinking of something rope kid said here: in Obsidian's build, a character from the Honest Hearts DLC was essential, but in the build that was published he wasn't, much to the chagrin of people that shoot first and ask questions later. That doesn't qualify as "several features" being "completely broken".

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Back Hack posted:

This the same guy who said Fallout 3 had over 200 endings after all. :v:

Technically true. :smug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Assume "I wish the protagonist had a voice" is part of the feedback for every game with an unvoiced protagonist, even if there is no voice acting at all. It's surprising how vocal a certain segment of the gaming market can be about the lack of voice acting.

Still, they seem to buy the games anyway, so I'm not sure if it was actually necessary for Bethesda. They probably felt this would improve their storytelling.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I apologize to all of the RPG purists who are upset that it's now possible for people who don't like exactly what they do to play the game.

I'd be surprised to learn any RPG purist actually liked Fallout 3 and New Vegas' handling of combat.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

All the dialogue in the various showcases was really, really bad. Like, the protagonist seemed to only talk in non sequiturs.

That's the real problem, not the fact that the protagonist has a background (though Fallout 4's seems slightly more specific than Fallout 1's and 2's, but not by a whole lot).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

They also said the baby's appearance is affected by the parents. Seems pointless doing that if you only ever get a glimpse of them in the intro.

Pointless like getting Patrick Stewart to voice a few lines at the beginning of the game?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The combat montage showed a feral ghoul at one point. Too fast to really notice any detail, but I think it looked like the design in the supermarket from the original trailer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It slightly pains me that Interplay is nowhere to be seen on it, as much as they are a shadow of their former self and was run like one of the worst companies in Earth history.

They don't have the rights, that's how it works. It's not like Bethesda removed the developers and Interplay's mentions from the credits, anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They said specifically 200 years and not "after New Vegas" and the game starts on October, whereas Fallout 3 started in August. While the East Coast BOS would be the more interesting iteration to show in Boston (considering you can side against them), if they are there it means Daddy's Girl/Boy's adventures took the entirety of the span of a month, with about a couple weeks margin of error for the East Coast BOS to arrive in Boston, which either demonstrates their hyper competence or the incompetence of the Capital Wasteland's inhabitants (most likely the latter)

The Pip-boy in the leaked screenshots says 2287 which is 10 years after FO3 and 6 after New Vegas.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rap music posted:

oh that poo poo is worthless

Fear not: power armors have proper flashlight.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

(and planned to restrict that choice to male, probably changing course around the time that Ubisoft got tons of poo poo for being stupid about women in AssCreed)

People still believe that hokey Reddit rumor that claimed the game would have a top-down mode and save imports?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ToxicAcne posted:

Did anyone else really enjoy the ambient soundtrack in this game? I mean it's nowhere as good as the OST in TES games but I was pleasantly surprised once I turned the radio off so Props to Inon Zur.

There are good tracks, but it's kind of all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Uh, riiiiiight.

As far as cons go, that's not very effective.

• Locked thread