Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Rumour is that the initial push was a mistake and they didn't intend for everything published to be stored locally. No idea if that's true or not and I have no idea if they intend to fix it but the fact they they somehow rammed out a 2gig file without noticing should tell you how much thought has gone into this endeavor.

I'm sure by now someone has gone through and ripped out all the assets so they can be shared around for free. Would have happened anyway I'm sure but Bethesday just decided to make it that much easier.

both the BA2 and ESL (new stupid format that's basically an ESP) are already available for free. I'm not sure what the policy is on linking pirated poo poo around these parts so...

But yeah, it's been done, BethSoft are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

If the creation club could be used so that larger teams can make expansion level content that doesn't take 3+ years to produce and was vetted by Bethesda, I'd be all over that. As it is it's shameless cash grab.

basically this. bethsoft would have done better to get behind the team doing the Cascadia overhaul or something, but no, they went for the cheap and sleazy cash grab instead.

gently caress 'em, here's the ESL files to load what you like of the content: https://my.mixtape.moe/sssexz.7z

personally I reverted back to 1.9.4 because ENB and Transfer Settlements are yet to update to support 1.10.2 and i don't really give a flying poo poo about the CC mods.

maybe the backpack, i guess, but you can change the ESL to an ESM/P if you want to use it in a 1.9.4 game

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I had a sudden burst of clarity a little while ago - what if BethSoft's continual milking of Skyrim (NOW ON TOASTER OVENS!) and their hurry to push out Creation Club is them literally buying time to ditch the Gamebryo engine for good and replace it with a newer, shinier engine for Fallout 5?

Let's be honest here - BethSoft is dogshit at plot writing, but amazing at the technical and emergent gameplay in their RPGs. One thing they could and should do is ditch Gamebryo/Creation engine in favor of something that works better. None of the other BethSoft-published studios - id, Machine, Arkane - release their poo poo with bugs that have to be fixed by the community. Gamebryo is severely limiting BethSoft's ability to really knock things out of the park with their next game.

Or, more likely, their next game is a Fallout-themed cashgrab. 50/50 on it being Yet Another Digital TCG or a PUBG clone. This is more in keeping with their actions lately, unfortunately.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm honestly waiting to get back into playing this game until there's a mod organizer that isn't buggy and/or dogshit - the MO2 fork by LePresidente still has game-crashing bugs that haven't been fixed because Tannin is working on "Vortex", which there has been no news on for months and months.

I'll be damned if I use NMM, either.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Buying BethSoft Gamebryo Creation Engine games on anything but PC is something I would consider a mistake.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dejawesp posted:

Trying my hand at a new game of survival. Having fun but I think I lost 3 hours of progress from dying in about a 6 hour session. I'm starting to get confused because I can't remember which of the things I did that was lost due to death as I revisit areas I cleared earlier.

That's why I use the Survival Options mod to set up timed autosaves.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Maybe I just suck at Lego but I really feel like settlement building would have been better if you just helped people restore things between certain choices offered by the settlement leader instead of you suddenly having full authority over the settlement cause you got their daughters jewelry back for them. Like just using Sanctuary Hills as an example throw wood at Sturges and he rings a wall all around the island, throw some concrete and metal and the houses get fixed up. Get a choice between turning the bridge into a dam for power or rigging it up as a big water purifier. As a bonus this system means you could do poo poo with Diamond City, Goodneighbour etc

Hancock wants you to grab a ton of electronics and chemistry poo poo and then asks whether he should make a med x fountain or a giant lickable daytripper statue in the centre of town.

Maybe keep the sandbox building for settlements you build up from nothing if it needs to be there.

These are good ideas and I wish BethSoft had done them instead of latching onto their clunky-rear end base building system.

I'm glad that Transfer Settlements exists so I can just import a complete settlement and only have to worry about getting enough dudes for it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hell, have Nick get partially taken over by Kellog or something

as possibly the least intolerable party member I'd be up for having him be in all the DLCs

Nick and Curie are the two best companions that aren't Dogmeat.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Looks like you're about to drop the hottest rap album in 200 years.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

null_pointer posted:

Well, to be fair, there's no local police force -- the one safe place, Diamond City, has it's own security, but there's no one policing Boston at large, before the Minutemen. And they're in pieces until the Magical Playercharacter arrives and rebuilds their organization by not acting like a moron.

So, that's not too much of a stretch for me. Once the Minutemen (i.e. the PC) starts acting as the local defense, then it would make sense that it would have a snowball effect -- more and more settlements start joining the Minutemen and acting as the local police force, keeping the Raiders and Mutants at bay, causing new settlements to join up, etc.

I mean, it's pretty shoddy, but out of all the janky narrative crap going on in F4, that's not the part I want to die on.

A Minutemen run - going full hog into being the new General - is IMO the only run that doesn't ally the player character with a two-dimensional faction of cackling villains, angry gatekeeper nerds, or twee rebellion fetishists.

If only there was a way to actually destroy the BoS, Institute, and Railroad and rebuild the Commonwealth as a functioning state. That would have been so much better as the follow-on to F3. Clean, purified water starts coming up from DC and the Sole Survivor rebuilds the Minutemen, then proceeds to knock apart and weld together the cardboard factions in the Commonwealth, making a new equal for the NCR on the East Coast, which would open things up for the NCR and the Commonwealth to either cooperate in taking apart the Legion or fight over places like New Orleans in future games.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

I think you can do the railroad BOS mission to blow up the blimp(kill and steal the commander's clothes), turn around go murder everyone inside the railroad, teleport to the institute kill someone(kill your son steal his clothes), and go talk to Sturges who found pipes leading into the institute.

I like this plan. I'm going to do it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm honestly hoping that the next TES or Fallout game uses the same engine as DOOM and Wolfenstein. idTech? idTech.

Hell, I'd settle for Unreal as the engine - I know modding is an intrinsic part of Bethsoft RPGs and the fanbase would riot if it went away, but Gamebyro Creation is such a duct-taped sack of poo poo it's amazing it still works at all.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

More posts are being eaten, so allow me to assist in pushing this sucker to the next page?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

Yeah, no, that's how how it works.

The engines for open-world games have to do fundamentally different things than the ones for FPS games where you're confined to a single level and there's a load screen when you leave it.

Never mind the fact that DOOM's texture system results in huuuuge file sizes for something as small as its game world. DOOM is like 70 gigs, most of which is map files, trying to do an open world game that way is not gonna fly.

Honestly the graphics engine for Fallout 4 is fine, what they need to upgrade is their quest scripting system, and more importantly, their plot / quest writing.

I'd settle for a quest/scripting engine that isn't poo poo and competent writing.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I think we desperately need a new thread for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So what exactly goes into making a new thread and getting the old one put to rest?

• Locked thread