Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

VATS: Centerpiece mechanic or minor feature?

Goons report, you decide.
if you use a mod that hellforces autoaim off, you become are exactly as accurate as you appear and the game becomes a lot more playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I don't get the "Fallout 3 is fanfiction" thing. It's not fanfiction if the folks writing the property own the property. It's just... ya know, fiction by the author.

If anything, New Vegas is the fan fiction. The folks who don't own the property writing their own little side-story, safely isolated 2,453 miles away / 37 days (as the Courier walks) from the real action/story.
reminder that this person thinks the deathclaw and radscorpion pit is something you should be able to take on your first time without observation and game knowledge and is "bad game design" instead of a set of beef barriers for clever players (who don't exist as a concept to MisterBibs) to bypass

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lord Chumley posted:

you da man bibs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

I hadn't heard people say this and googling 'fallout 3 is fanfiction' doesn't produce any useful statements.

That said, I agree with you. I don't think it should be up to the fans to determine what is or is not canon. It's up to the person/company/whomever is in control of the IP to determine that. We may love or hate their decisions but in the end they're the ones who own the IP so they're the ones who get to decide.

It's sort of like movies IMO. If the producer/company/whomever really hates a movie enough to disavow its existence and move on with the overall story while pretending the movie never happened (I'm looking at you, Highlander 2) then that movie is canonically invalid.

It IS up to the fans to speak in a loud enough voice to tell the developer/producer/company/whomever what they think and if enough fans speak in a loud enough voice... well, things might change.

And if the developer/producer chooses to ignore the fans, well, that's life.
Fallout 4 seems to take place in somewhere that's not a completely irradiated shithole which is the complaint everyone had with 3 for it being set 200 years after the war, since plants should have at least started to grow at that point.

In the one minute we've seen, there's lots of people! And living things! And baseball. Even if it turns out to be a lovely theme park like Skyrim it's still improvement.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Fallout 3 was just woefully unambitious in its story which is why you got some weird greatest hits of fallout 1 and 2

WATER

GECK

ENCALVE AND SUPER MUTANTS OH NOOOOOOOOOOO
They added a dad that died within one hour, which was better than Uriel Septim's 5 minutes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

traveling the wasteland shooting guns

by god i'm getting too old for this
-
dad, fallout 3
I think the best mod for Fallout 3 was the one where the cash register sound was replaced with a laugh track to make moments like that really, really funny. Not sure where that is anymore, but at least you could make one real easily.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

Want to know a secret?

I really want to replay Fallout 3 but at the same time I wonder if I did that it would ruin my fond memories of the game.

That's the reason I'm currently replaying FNV instead of FO3.
If you want to replay Fallout 3 please for the love of gently caress replay it with TTW, Fallout 3 did not have the engine fixes that Obsidian put in to make pretty much everything less annoying, like the 16 million refid bug because Bethesda never thought you'd have to recycle those after 100 hours of playing, which is why Fallout 3 saves eventually become completely unrecoverable since the 24 bit address referencing temporary refids would be completely filled

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

good lord bethesda just actually try to write something interesting
Try getting Michael Kirkbride back into game development that's pretty much the only thing that'll make it happen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

I don't consume a ton of fantasy media so I'm not saturated with that stuff, but yeah. Steampunk and 50s Americana fetishization is like the only thing even worse and more boring than generic fantasy
Read Tolkien, that'll kill your boner for anything fantasy right quick

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

I still don't get you, man. They've shown off the pre-war 50's inspired culture to be full of paranoid witch-hunters and war-mongers. How'd they fail about making that point, asides from maybe too heavy-handed about some of it?

Also where are you getting the steampunk poo poo from?
Vacuum tubes are steampunk right :eng99:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Okay so now Fallout has very little to do with 50s poo poo, whereas 5 posts ago it was a biting satire of 50s poo poo?

Like the game is just not really in any way a critique, it's a straight up celebration of that aesthetic. Which would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that it seems convinced it is in fact a biting critique. And again, this is the literal exact same thing you see with steampunk
or maybe, just maybe, you just don't like Fallout at all

everyone's clearly overthinking this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

That was simply a tech demo, though. Horribly unpolished and meant to be a test of the new engine is how I understood it. OR did they eventually release more than the tech demo?
It was a tech demo but they were totally gonna release that as-is, because MisterBibs knows that's how game development works (he's a special boy)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hoodrich posted:

I wonder if the plot will just be incredibly retarded like fallout 3 or the most insanely boring trite ever made like skyrim
Fallout 3 had Point Lookout and the people who worked on that don't seem to have been fired, so there's hope!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

if rumors are to be believed, fallout 3 really should have been set when it was intended to be i.e. shortly after doomsday

a lot more works when that is assumed. the family in the national guard vault (best story in 3 or new vegas), the violin lady with her stradivarius, a ramshackle community around a bomb (?) or an aircraft carrier, etc
Yeah, it's really weird that they didn't set it at year 2107 for that reason. Little Lamplight would also have been fairly believable, as their society would have changed far from that within 200 years but that dumb system would have stuck for a couple generations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

To be fair, he has a point about how loving great liberty prime was. Best part of FO3 hands down. From the anti-communist loudspeaker to the way it delivers mininukes, everything about Liberty Prime was amazing.
Broken clock

icantfindaname posted:

skyrim doesn't think it's a critique of anything and doesn't push some insipid attempt at political commentary. to be fair i might be reacting to the fans more than the game itself, and other stuff with a similar aesthetic like bioshock, but still
I don't think it's fair to compare Bioshock to Fallout, mostly because the latter is about people having to live with it and having known nothing else, as opposed to having their fantasy of an ideal society crumble. Wasteland 2 has the same theme as well, and everyone's just about as uneducated as you'd expect.

But if you don't like political content in general basically anything with more than a token attempt at a story is pretty much out of your appreciation range. Pillars of Eternity is also fantasy, but it has heaps of political commentary, even if it's only in the context of fantasy settings, and the Witcher 3, while a fantasy setting, is a massive pisstake on the political controversies in Poland.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah anyway on my newest replay I'm finding stuff I never found and exploring places I've never explored, like the H&H Tools factory where one of the workers went totally shithouse crazy and paranoid in the pre-war days and started making all kinds of weird demands on the workers and installed dangerous security measures...

...and also was probably Mr. House. I'm sure it's something that 90% of players already knew about from combing through the wikia or whatever, but I stumbled across it completely on my own and thought it was cool.
His brother actually

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, hippies were a perfectly natural counter culture response to that and the following miserable decade.
The anti-gun-control anarchist liberals of the 70s were way better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hoodrich posted:

i don't think it's mr. house. pretty sure like basically nothing in the bethesda east coasts parallelverse actually relates to the canon west coast fallout you see in new vegas
H&H Tools is a building north of New Vegas, which was a company House's pissant brother owned.

Wilks Checkov posted:

Looking forward to the game, hope it takes the quality of story-line from Fallout 3 and adds it with the length of Fallout New Vegas's story-line. Should be interesting to see the new mechanics and modification systems that they have added as well. Game is on the top of my list for "CAN NOT loving WAIT FOR RELEASE", I wanna play now, but with all good things we must be patient. Will be happy to see a little game-play during this years E3. Should give us a small sneak peak at what to expect.
I remember when I was this excited for games and reality hasn't set in yet :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Is there anything that would point you there to learn their backstory during any other quests though? I'm curious if that's the only place to learn about the Houses.
That's pretty much the only place you learn about the House family, really. The other information with Mr. House buying out H&H tools from under his brother after his brother pretty much took all of the inheritance of the elder House is in the artbook-strategy guide, IIRC.

Hoodrich posted:

oh i see. is it that huge industrial building just off the freeway?
One of them, since there are several factories. It's a bit southwest of the random houses north of Vegas, and a ways around the border of Westside.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/H%26H_Tools_Factory

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 9, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xavier434 posted:

I don't want skill checks like this in either TES or Fallout to be honest because I'd rather these games avoid this sort of content gating even at the sacrifice of my immersion :qq:. However, I am all about lengthy quest lines that expect me to do really awesome and challenging stuff with the skills that relate to that quest line. That is 10x more fun than just having high numbers.
New Vegas curtailed that problem somewhat by hiding the funniest poo poo in skill check failures.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

i cant be the only one that thinks new vegas dlc was superlative to new vegas itself in every way

i mean what SERIES of dlc tells a more engaging story that the game proper while taking you to more engaging localities? its insane when you think about it
It's like New Vegas' core game was made by a bunch of people new to the engine and the DLCs were made after everyone had 1.5 years of experience working with it, whoaaaaaa

They were also structured like an expansion pack, which is actually a far less offensive way of presenting DLC. You remember Morrowind, right?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Actually no the worst thing is that it took me a second playthrough to properly get and enjoy dead money. Thats sorta my own failing but at the same time i bet a bunch of people never gave it one to find out
Dead Money was a pain in the rear end overall and doesn't tell you you have free reign to explore everything after you kill or punk Elijah

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Poolparty posted:

When are they announcing the return of the Tunnel Snakes?
I really hope Butch Deloria made it further north and becomes a middle-aged grizzled motorcycle gang leader. TUNNEL SNAKES RULE

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Except how you exit with no objective beyond "Leave the Sierra Madre" with no physical incentive shoving you out the door and you're actually told before bailing that you can never return to explore it?
Yeah, that's a deliberate dick move. Chris Avellone tried real hard to pull off the JRPG "lost forever" joke, but it didn't work on me :smug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

you've made your point that you are a braindead idiot very clear many times in this thread and several others, do not worry about that
one thing is clear, it is nice that people make games that pander to the cognitively challenged like MisterBibs, we should all be ashamed of how ableist we are with our reading comprehension and analysis of basic game mechanics

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KillerQueen posted:

Heh, you think video games can have good stories, what kinda dumb idiot poo poo baby are you?
all stories are garbage

qed

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like the Democracy vault?
It didn't have a bunch of guys named Gary who managed to survive for hundreds of years

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Colonel Autumn wanting to just establish rule through hydraulic despotism instead of Eden's ultra-genocide was probably the most interesting part about the Enclave, until Bethesda didn't do anything with it.
It set the stage for the comical amount of wasted potential that was Skyrim

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Caidin posted:

I give him a year at his new job.
If the rumors are right about him moving to P&P games, he'd be a neat fit into the 13th Age team

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

closeted republican posted:

You could say the same thing about Fallout 1. :v:
Part of the thing I liked about Fallout 2 is that all the farms and clean water supplies are implied to be widespread in random encounters and they're in a LOT of places.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I wonder how long it'll be until someone points it out

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

Playing TTW right now, fallout 3 with DT is a very odd experience.
It shouldn't be quite as odd if they implemented the DT rebalance, but raiders are actually dangerous now since their weapons no longer do 4 damage

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

Yeah, in my recent playthrough I've just been carrying round one/two of every type of alcohol to reduce my chances of addiction, I'm the Noah of booze.
In both Fallout 3 and New Vegas alcohol has a flat chance of addiction so you will always have the chance to be addicted on the first use, the regular drugs have a safe first dose.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

gently caress yes this is like the dictionary defninition of 'not even once'
cowshit fumes: once
turbo: gotta try it one day
psycho: good for that one use punch a guy's head off
beer: NOT EVEN ONCE

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

The single most valuable thing PN or Wanderer's Edition (if you take it, I installed individual bits because I didn't care for most of the overhaul changes) adds is a sprint key. The sprint mods typically include barreling people over too, unless your strength is too low, in which case you fall down. :v:
Headbuting deathclaws is the best thing ever

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Something Else posted:

Who the gently caress is Follows-Chalk
Where people first learn of the "holster weapon to ward off aggression" feature

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hihohe posted:

I like crafting poo poo in games But NV just had a Huge Fuckoff list of poo poo that i didnt know what they did and most poo poo did nothing. Great! I got some Belts, can i wear them? No? gently caress off.
You were supposed to use them to craft super stimpaks and gecko armor

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

I also love that the New Reno ending where the Chosen One knocks up one of the Bishop ladies is canon :haw:

Because that actually accidentally did happen in my first fallout 2 run
What I liked was that the Wrights did get access to the SAD and killed the Salvatores and presumably the Mordinos, but the Bishops were backed up by the NCR because they helped integrate New Reno into it.

I really like mixed-canon outcomes in games.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

Part of what I like about the first two games was the storytelling/plot and no amount of patches or expansions will undo the joke that was Diablo 3's.

I also don't like the classes, nor really the look of the game.
Diablo 2 was worth it for the line "the countess once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins" spoken by Col. Campbell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

If you're wondering how people in a 50s-inspired nuclear wastelander eats and breaths, and other :science: SCIENCE! :science: facts, repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax."
Except the source series makes fun of that sentiment frequently, just showing that always went over your head.

ShadowMar posted:

no but if you care about anything at all that means you're a sperg because as a goon i can't understand basic concepts
like cognitive functions and "not blindly charging at enemy"

• Locked thread