Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Super good job cancelling Prey 2 to make this Bethesda. A+ decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Note literally everyone's elbow in the same spot because gently caress having different animations for very different characters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also I wish Bethesda would acknowledge that their implementation of VATS in a 3rd person FPS is loving dumb and doesn't work and needs a pretty serious rethink. OH LOL I SHOT HIM IN THE DICK LOOOOLLLLL

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bholder posted:

I think I know the problem, but it is not with the game...

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What kind of brain-damaged failure plays 3 or NV in third person mode?

Derp derp derp, I meant 1st/3rd. I don't know, I am sure someone out there does. Point is that VATS is shoehorned in and stupid.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Azhais posted:

Given that everyone seems to like to compare trailers with other just announced games, Bard's Tale IV just released some in game footage from their Unreal engine:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/04/a-bards-tale-iv-gameplay-trailer

Pretty shiny

Now look at that loving ugly Fallout 4 poo poo, there's just no excuse for inExile, being tiny and low-funding compared to Bethesda, being able to just eat their loving lunch on environment design and graphical detail.

Zzulu posted:

none of that looks like real gameplay to me

Why not?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn, looking at more, I can't tell who's doing what. Seems Emil Pagliarulo, the dark brotherhood writer, was the lead writer of both Fallout 3 and Skyrim? Dunno.

Things I'd like to see go in Fallout 4:
  • VATS - What's cool about Stalker? Getting surprised and having to freak out and rock and roll. What happens in Fallout? Turn on VATs, cooly survey every enemy, including the one you didn't realize was behind you, make a plan, then execute the plan. Screw that, screw VATS.
  • Karma - just make a lists of factions and have them track their reputation separately, other games do this, it's not ground breaking.
  • PiP boy light - Fallout 4 seems to have better color and lighting (that shot of the mysterios stranger looking dude walking on the dark street), so just give me a flashlight, don't me me wash green light everywhere to find something.

A good post.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

khy posted:

I'm trying to think back on the games i've played with the unreal engine. Do any of the UE games handle really long draw distances very well? How many UE games have been set in an open world environment similar to FNV or Skyrim?

In thinking back to the UE games I've played most of them have fairly short draw distances and focus on smaller, but more cluttered maps. It'd be great for indoors but i don't know how great it'd be when outside.

Likewise, I don't recall ever trying to mod any UE games. I'm sure it's doable I'm just wondering, in terms of ease-of-modding how games made with UE4 compare to the Creation Kit.

UE supports streamloading and can do giant worlds and drawdistances, Borderlands mentioned above is a pretty good example, but there have been a few open world (lovely) MMOs that had larger areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

Generic Monk posted:

Modding UE depends if you ahve the tools I think; games like unreal tournament ship with a map editor but most are pretty much impenetrable. You can hack the asset files and replace textures like that and use cheat engine but nothing really close to anything like the plugin system bethesda uses.

Holy poo poo, dude. UT4 is basically being crowdsourced as we speak. The tools have never been more available or easier to use, it's been a massive focus of Epic to get the engine to as many people as possible and as easily as possible.
http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 4, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Generic Monk posted:

That's for making games from scratch though, not modding and tweaking existing ones. Most games won't let you just load their files up in the unreal editor and change poo poo, and most developers aren't willing or able to hand over a good portion of their toolchain to modders.

Ah, good point, but that's really more a function of developers and toolset inertia, not really a comment on the capability of one engine vs another.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

khy posted:

Eh. I was going to write up a big thing discussing the virtues and vices of Creation vs the UE4 engine but I don't know enough about the UE4 engine to know how it handles a lot of things that Creation was built for. (Mass interactable physics objects, modding, draw distances, etc)

Personally I like the Creation engine and I see it as a HUGE improvement over Gamebryo. People tend to focus too much on the similarities but honestly I think that many of the flaws aren't the engine, but rather the artists/modellers/animators since they're almost all the same team. We've seen that modders can take the engine and produce good looking faces, detailed and immersive animations, and change the art style to be gorgeous as hell without having to convert Skyrim over to another engine.

Creation is fine. People need to bitch less about Creation and more about getting a new design team in. We need new modellers and new texture artists more than a change in the engine.

Mass physics you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_rPDwSKe8
Granted, that's .4fps, but hey.

But yeah, Bethesda is mostly a sucking black hole of creativity right now and they don't seem to be pushing themselves or being pushed by management, so we get turds like this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

khy posted:

Is it bad that my attention was IMMEDIATELY drawn to the vanishing barrels in the lower left corner from 1:08 to 1:12ish?

I don't really think that Bethesda lacks creativity, more that I feel like they spend too much of their resources in the wrong areas. Like, I think it'd be better if they spent more money on a wider cast of small name voice actors, as opposed to hiring a big name for a small role. Or getting some new artists/animators/modellers.

Seems like it's a misconfiguration by the guy that made the sim. It's culling out "unseen" objects incorrectly, I guess?

And voice actors aren't, and haven't been the issue. It's not like going for less talent there is somehow going to make things less ugly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good job keeping the worst death animation in history, people just... Falling apart at the joints when hit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thought that was gameplay at first. Got excited. I am dumb.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Still waiting for a Bethesda game where an NPC can walk up stairs by actually putting their feet on stairs and not just awkwardly bike-pedaling and sliding up them in a straight line.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cthulhuite posted:

Christ, that Pip Boy looks like cheap plastic crap.

The deafening silent chorus of nerd-thoughts of "Dang, I think I just wasted a hundred bucks" as they strap a shamefully cheap piece of plastic poo poo to their arms on launch day will be glorious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I hope this game leads to a new fetish where people are aroused by that bulgy wad of flesh on goon forearms from the PipBoys are too tight and the lines cut into their skin when they take it off.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

frajaq posted:

Synth Problems??

*is shot in the back* *head explode*

My god, the jank is back and jankier than ever before.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dumbass Forbes' posted:

When Fallout 3 debuted, the gaming pubic had never seen anything quite like it, both from the perspective of the series itself, and really, from the overall sandbox exploration/shooter genre.
Uhhh, Morrowind? Oblivion?

Putting GUNS in your lovely Oblivion doesn't make a revolution,

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout and elderscrolls games all have fine stories for open world games . (which are all worse stories than linear games, which are all worse than non-game story telling).

Fallout 1 and 2 had perfectly fine stories. Elder Scrolls games up to and including Morrowind had pretty good stories. But the stories are getting progressively shittier, that's the problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The environments actually CAN look nice here and there, but it's all ruined by gross human models and the worst animations in gaming.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Buff Butler posted:

drat that compression.

How does turning that poo poo in not get people fired on the spot:

:downs:: HEY! I GOT THAT NEW CHARACTER MODEL DONE!!
:raise:: Tell you what... I want you to go get a box and put all of your poo poo in it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bardeh posted:

There's ugly and then there's 'hair like what a Lego person has'

Yes, it looks like the hair is vacuum sealed to her head, like if you looked close enough you could see the mold lines.

Is a PC version leaked? I don't get how a streamer could have the complete PC version before unlock, aren't there usually a few files held back?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sighence posted:

The stream's back up. Guy's just as competent as before.

Link?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Dude is aggressively bad at video games. Like for real.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am disappoint. This stream shows a game that might actually be uglier than FO3

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
When did super mutants become orcs?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Harry was specifically an idiot among Super Mutants, but he still could carry on a conversation and wasn't just a big green murderdork.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
FO1: The Master and humans manage to build a giant fuckoff cathedral.

FO4: We still basically live in a blown out trashheap 200 years later.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You read those statistics where only like 20% of people ever actually finish a game, but you don't really believe it until you see this knuckledragging mouthbreather trying to game. Like there's no way he could finish it, he's too loving clueles.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
FUUUUUCK, why do I torture myself?

FO4 key from GMG was immediately available on my checkout page, fyi.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

circ dick soleil posted:

Hahaha is stream country for real

Link plz, need something to keep me entertained @ work.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Frankston posted:

It's just a picture of the FBI anti-piracy warning with MGS4 music playing

GOTY

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
IM CRAZY SHOPPING CART HEAD MAN! NOW GIMME SOME CANDY!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Are we all actually this bad at video games and there's just no one watching us on a stream???

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Did that guy just orgasm-moan during that animation!>?!?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
edit: whoops wrong thread!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Son of Rodney posted:

Did this thread go from "this game is poo poo" to "I can't wait" because they actually got some information instead of over-analysing like 10 screenshots?

Because if so :laffo:

It's a Scrhodinger's Thread of gently caress THIS GAME IT'S AWFUL and WHEN DO I START PRELOADING?!

I am going to hate playing this and somehow that is how I will derive value.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, if we VPN into NZ, when does this kick off?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh don't disconnect from the VPN during a patch download. Now I have to redownload half the game. :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hmm, connected to NZ VPN, but it still says PRELOAD COMPLETE; UNRELEASED even after I changed my store zone to NZ and restarted Steam. Is there another step?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cession posted:

I'm here as well.

Edit: every time I restart steam it automatically changes my region back to lovely ol USA.

I've even tried changing my region through a web browser, but the steam client does not "accept" that change, even after deleting my Steam config file.

Fuk u gaben.

Yeah, I noticed this. I change my store region to the other option, AUSTRALIA, but when I restart Steam it somehow knows I am a stinking American :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why does motherfucking Steam refuse to let me set my location to AUSTRALIA? It's where my packets are coming from, so duh, that's where I am!

edit: Oh, crap, I think it's because my home machine is still signed in. Any way to disconnect other machines on your Steam account remotely?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread