Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

John Romero's Daikatana Is a loving disastrous videogame, released in the year 2000 worldwide by Ion Storm and published by Eidos. It is an example of why you shouldn't hype the poo poo out of something and then fail to deliver.

Daikatana started development in early 97 and was intended to be released in time for Christmas 97, but was put on hold due to the fact that when they showed the game, it was on the Quake 1 engine, and the Quake 2 engine was being previewed at the time. Naturally, this caused Ion Storm to keep working on the game, and then port that poo poo to Quake 2 when that engine was ready. Naturally, cross porting between engines isn't easy, and it caused the game to take almost 3 years instead of the months that was originally intended. The infamous ad did not help matters when the game finally was released to horrible reviews.

The release of the Nintendo 64 and PC versions was so disastrous that it cause the Gameboy Color version (which owns) to never come out in North America and the PlayStation version to never come out. I will be playing the PC version, primarily because I hate myself and hate my co commentators. The game will be running on Fanpatch 1.3 for GLORIOUS 1080/60 because it's funny.

Thread Rules: Please do not spoil the existence of your buddy Shaft Wilson. Other spoilers are fine, but don't dwell on future game segments for too long till we get there. Anime owns. Post about anime.

Your Cast of Commentators as of the Latest Update

DA PANET EARF/TheBasicsOfCQC
-Still maintains a list of all the awful shooters he wishes to play before he dies
-Is awful at Daikatana
-Has beaten all 3 versions of Daikatana without cheating
-Owns the PC version of Daikatana twice
-gently caress save gems
-gently caress helicopters
-gently caress planes
-Genres: Dementia

DoctorStrangelove
-Is not afraid to die
-Played this game to completion while I was recording gameplay because I told him to and he's an idiot
-Stands proud
-Has russian hands and roman fingers
-Genres: Slice of life, Action, Harem, Action, Action Adventure, Action

Haduar
-Is Yoshiyuki Tomino, but don't tell him I told you
-Got a concussion from when his favorite anime character died
-Genres: Mecha, Reverse Harem, Bishonen

Lazyfire\Broman Jenkins
-Is a certified let's play superstar
-Has too much of a life to play Battlefield very often, which sucks.
-Genres: Action, Military, Ecchi

MaNiAk
Is a maniak maniak on the floor, despite the fact that he cannot dance
Likes Warframe more than any human should
JIBUN WO
Genres: TBD

I'M READY TO WATCH THIS TRAINWRECK

Let's Play Daikatana Episode 1: Uwe Boll
Let's Play Daikatana Episode 2: Suck it Down
Let's Play Daikatana Episode 3: Shaft Wilson
Let's Play Daikatana Episode 4: The Depressing Episode
Let's Play Daikatana Episode 5: Depression Retconing
Let's Play Daikatana Episode 6: Not Dead
Oh and I intend to update this weekly unless I like lose my job or something, but really, what's the likelihood of that.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

CHARACTER BIOS

SHIGHIRO MIYAMOTO: Is the main character who runs a dojo until Who's-his-whats Ebihara shows up and sends him on a bizzare adventure to get the daikatana, and save his daughter and learn hammon.

Who's-His-Whats Enshiro Ebihara:Is the guy who invented a vaccine that cures the bad thing, but he wasn't because bad guy went back in time with bad guy magic and made it so he was the guy who invented the vaccine and thus RULES THE WORLD because that's how vaccines work. Enshiro is a super plot vital character, but because he shows up in a grand total of two, or maybe 3 scenes, you will forget his name. Starts the plot of daikatana rolling when he tells Hiro the stuff and then gets stabbed.

Michio Kaku Ebihara: Is Enshiro's son daughter, and has been trained from a young age to wield the daikatna, despite never having seen it before. She is also the worst character in a game full of bad characters.

UsagiSAILOR MOON MIYAMOTO:
FIGHTING EVIL BY MOONLIGHT
WINNING LOVE BY DAYLIGHT
NEVER RUNNING FROM A REAL FIGHT
HE IS THE ONE NAMED SAILOR MOON

also he made the daiaktana I guess and is now a ghost.

SUPERFLY JOHNSON: Is your buddy, and one thing I've found, one thing I've found, oh no he'll never let you down.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 12, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

We actually did finish watching Garzey's Wing the night we recorded ep1. Needless to say, Yoshiyuki Tomino made us his bitch.

THREAD CONTEST INFO

CONTEST ONE - Art contest: Make a picture of Usagi Miyamoto. Whatever you imagine him to look like. Use whatever medium you need.

entries:

NextSundayA.D.

Koishi Komeiji

CONTEST TWO - Essay contest: Respond to the prompt "Would you rather drink bleach or eat shitpuddin'?"

entries:

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 3, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of this topic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is gonna be a good time. How does this game have fan patches? How does it have fans? :psyduck:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is gonna be a good time. How does this game have fan patches? How does it have fans? :psyduck:

Because it's the greatest FPS ever made is how.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who made daikatana

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer

Eonwe posted:

who made daikatana

John Romero's DAIKATANA was made by John Carmack with the crack team at Eutechnyx.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The bugs... they're so loud

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I cannot wait for more of this ridiculous poo poo. I know this game isn't going to get less messed up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I recall trying to play this a few months ago. I quit after a while.

God speed.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

God speed.

lol, look at this console scrub. Go back to Darksouls.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

God speed.

But I already beat it 3 times over 3 platforms and am just coming back to it. I don't need speedgod.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DA PANET EARF posted:

But I already beat it 3 times over 3 platforms and am just coming back to it. I don't need speedgod.

You'll need some speedgod to beat the world record at AGDQ'16

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Because it's the greatest FPS ever made is how.

Accurate statement. Daikatana is a pro FPS. The story is incredibly intricate and well executed, making the likes of releases by companies such as Naughty Dog and Kojima Productions seem as though they were created by a team of troglodytes by comparison. More than anything though, the overall game experience itself fundamentally proves that design is law.

On behalf of everyone who's ever fully experienced what this game has to offer, I just wanted to say thanks, John.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mr. Soop posted:

Accurate statement. Daikatana is a pro FPS. The story is incredibly intricate and well executed, making the likes of releases by companies such as Naughty Dog and Kojima Productions seem as though they were created by a team of troglodytes by comparison. More than anything though, the overall game experience itself fundamentally proves that design is law.

On behalf of everyone who's ever fully experienced what this game has to offer, I just wanted to say thanks, John.

sounds like john romero made you his bitch

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Soop posted:

Finally someone else gets it. You have no idea how hard it is to put up with all the casual trash who hate this game just because they suck at it.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I liked this game a whole lot more before JRom apologized for that ad.

Never apologize. Never.

Handuar
Jun 30, 2007

GET IN THE DAMN CRAZY-BUS ARTHUR!

insanityv2 posted:

I liked this game a whole lot more before JRom apologized for that ad.

Never apologize. Never.

I'd like to say sorry to my Japanese crowd for episode 15 of Kidō Senshi Gandamu entitled Kukurusu Doan no Shima, luckily for my American crowd I have pulled this episode. It is my hope that I never make another blunder of this magnitude again.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

I also forgot to make this thread have a poll where the two options where to either:
A: Drink Bleach or
B: Eat poo poo pudding.

I would like to apologize to the thread in advance.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

DA PANET EARF posted:

A: Drink Bleach or
B: Eat poo poo pudding.

Suck it down! :getin:

I remember getting the demo disk for this game and playing multiplayer to death, many moons ago. I think I later played through some of the game via the magic of noclip and godmode because I couldn't handle being Romero's bitch. :smith:
The second zone/setting is my favorite - can't wait to see it in all its glory.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Every video game dev team who thinks green lighting filters add anything to an environment except horrific eye vomit is destined to the hell in which they are forced to play Daikatana over and over again.

I want to believe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. I do wish you good luck and a firm grasp on sanity.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
One word, just one magical word is enough to send every gamer who remembers the early 2000's into a fit. :allears:

Good luck and may God have mercy on your poor souls.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Fun fact, the other famous Ion Storm game? Motherfucking Deus Ex.

I know it's mentioned in the videos but that still blows my mind.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 4, 2015

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Deus Ex was done by Ion Storm Austin which was lead by Warren Spector. They existed long after Dallas got shut down.

Rex Deckard fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 4, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks john

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It really is the best expert FPS ever made.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is the flyesti game ever made.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Deus Ex is not an Expert FPS and has stupid poo poo like "stealth," "open ended gameplay" and "fun." poo poo that a true, pure-blooded member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race has no time for and is best left to console casuals who need their hands held.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Ion Storm also made the best JRPG ever.

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Deus Ex is not an Expert FPS and has stupid poo poo like "stealth," "open ended gameplay" and "fun." poo poo that a true, pure-blooded member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race has no time for and is best left to console casuals who need their hands held.

Don't forget that it's a poo poo minecraft style game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mkob posted:

Thanks john

gently caress you, john

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair, Ion Storm also made the best JRPG ever.

That game owned

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress you, john

Joke's on you, his name is actually Alfonso.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Honestly, going to be devil's advocate here- John loved this game too much and that's the problem. He couldn't lower his scope and like doesn't know how to run a business. The game is actually on paper really loving awesome.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's really weird to see this game looking decent and at a decent framerate. It just flies on by.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Daikatana is bad but so are all of its contemporaries. Like if I had to say if Daikatana is better or worse than SiN, Kingpin, Unreal, Quake 2, KISS Psycho Circus etc I don't know if I could give an answer. It was a dumb awful time for FPSes that werent multiplayer arenas.
It's like if 15 years from now someone says "That medal of honor reboot from 2011 was terrible!!" like yeah I know it was panned at the time but it's also nearly indiscernible from the other games like it that were not panned.

bhlaab fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

bhlaab posted:

Daikatana is bad but so are all of its contemporaries. Like if I had to say if Daikatana is better or worse than SiN, Kingpin, Unreal, Quake 2, KISS Psycho Circus etc I don't know if I could give an answer. It was a dumb awful time for FPSes that werent multiplayer arenas.
It's like if 15 years from now someone says "That medal of honor reboot from 2011 was terrible!!" like yeah I know it was panned at the time but it's also nearly indiscernible from the other games like it that were not panned.

There were a lot. But in that list Daikatana has to be at the end.

Those others had some merit. But I will allow that the SiN underwater levels were probably some of the worst design ever....chasing bubbles for air. :bang:

• Locked thread