Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rex Deckard posted:

Those others had some merit. But I will allow that the SiN underwater levels were probably some of the worst design ever....chasing bubbles for air. :bang:

Well it worked for Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Well it worked for Sonic.

Sonic 06 is the daikatana of platformers.

EDIT: By the way I updated the OP because I want to have the worst thread in existence.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 5, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DA PANET EARF posted:

EDIT: By the way I updated the OP because I want to have the worst thread in existence.

Well you already have the worst Daikatana LP so it's a good start.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DA PANET EARF posted:

Sonic 06 is the daikatana of platformers.

Then what's the homefront of platformers?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Stormgale posted:

Wings of Vi or Blaster Master 2.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Oh by the way somebody on twitter pointed out that vsynch is what causes the slow loading bug, because it caps it at the rate that the clicking loading sound for some reason (even though fanpatch 1.3 doesn't seem to have that sound). While I didn't have vsync on, I turned off async refresh and it fixed it, so expect fast loading!

In the middle of chapter 2.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DA PANET EARF posted:

Lazyfire\Broman Jenkins
-Is a certified let's play superstar
-Has too much of a life to play Battlefield very often, which sucks.
-Genres: Action, Military, Ecchi

We recorded the second episode like five months ago and I was extremely, extremely drunk while doing it if anyone is wondering why I can't read things/can't understand what's happening.

Also, I'm totally down for BF4 Friday through Sunday morning, no one has been on in like three weeks.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Stormgale posted:

Sonic Unleashed

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Anime is cool, so cool 00's anime Beyblades is getting a live-action movie from Paramount Pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjXohtL7CP4

Also a new anime season in July.
Let it Rip!

DA PANET EARF posted:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

tlarn posted:

Sonic Unleashed

I feel swap Unleashed and 06, 06 tried to be pretentious and DEEP with time travel

Unleashed was tooo edgy for this world

Unironic good video here

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I'm cross-posting this to the most '90s thread.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Jibun wo

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bhlaab posted:

Daikatana is bad but so are all of its contemporaries. Like if I had to say if Daikatana is better or worse than SiN, Kingpin, Unreal, Quake 2, KISS Psycho Circus etc I don't know if I could give an answer. It was a dumb awful time for FPSes that werent multiplayer arenas.
Unreal really doesn't belong on that list. You're also missing pretty amazing stuff like No One Lives Forever, Clive Barker's Undying, Soldier of Fortune (bad game but fun violence engine), loving System Shock 2, etc.
It's not like 1999-2001 was some barren period in FPS games and it sure as hell doesn't excuse Daikatana. Even if you compare it with Quake 2 - which is boring as hell - it comes out as obnoxious, annoying and unplayable where Quake 2 managed to be a perfectly fine multiplayer platform.
Oh, and let's not forget Half-life.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Rex Deckard posted:

There were a lot. But in that list Daikatana has to be at the end.

Those others had some merit. But I will allow that the SiN underwater levels were probably some of the worst design ever....chasing bubbles for air. :bang:

You know what, at least the most glaring problems with Daikatana got patched and now it's a fairly functional bad game. If you want to see the real dogshit check out Blood 2, or You Are Empty, or Mortyr, or Unreal.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

bhlaab posted:

You know what, at least the most glaring problems with Daikatana got patched and now it's a fairly functional bad game. If you want to see the real dogshit check out Blood 2, or You Are Empty, or Mortyr, or Unreal.

You keep throwing Unreal in there like it's as good as Daikatana (at being loving awful) stop trying so hard. Hexen 2 though. There's a masterpiece game in the same line as Daikatana. Blue Shift or Overblood are good contenders too.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well I happen to be at my parents' right now and look what a 5 minute search of my old bedroom turned up.

I think this was the first PC game I ever owned, a gift from my uncle who didn't know much about videogames but knew that I liked them. My computer at the time couldn't run it so I read the manual a bunch as a kid imagining playing it.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 6, 2015

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Nebiros posted:

Blue Shift or Overblood are good contenders too.

Blue Shift is perfectly competent technically, it's just really lazy and boring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bhlaab posted:

Daikatana is bad but so are all of its contemporaries. Like if I had to say if Daikatana is better or worse than SiN, Kingpin, Unreal, Quake 2, KISS Psycho Circus etc I don't know if I could give an answer. It was a dumb awful time for FPSes that werent multiplayer arenas.
It's like if 15 years from now someone says "That medal of honor reboot from 2011 was terrible!!" like yeah I know it was panned at the time but it's also nearly indiscernible from the other games like it that were not panned.

Unreal is one of my favorite FPS games? I didn't realise people didn't like it?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Unreal is one of my favorite FPS games? I didn't realise people didn't like it?

It was fairly popular with lovely casual "gamers."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually never played it when it was out, but I came to it in like, 2010. Ended up being absolutely :allears: for the whole feel of the game. Maybe because I grew up playing unreal tournament, I just loving love that style of game, the levels, the enemies, the guns, the music, all of it.

Only thing I don't like is the clunky-rear end controls for the inventory.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Nebiros posted:

You keep throwing Unreal in there like it's as good as Daikatana (at being loving awful) stop trying so hard. Hexen 2 though. There's a masterpiece game in the same line as Daikatana. Blue Shift or Overblood are good contenders too.

No, I said Unreal is as good as Blood 2 and Mortyr, which is much more insulting.

If you thought Quake 2 wasn't aimless or boring enough and had too many good weapons, try Unreal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which is funny because Unreal has varied guns, interesting and beautiful environments and an amazing soundtrack. The shooting is on par with Quake 2 but that's not really the focus - and what killed Quake 2 were the parts where Unreal excels.

Unapologetically loving Unreal, yo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So what are the chances of this thread becoming a Chernobyl Commander thread right you finish Daikatana now that it works for you, CQC?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Mods please rename me to JOHN ROMEROS BITCH

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
What kind of madman would LP this game?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

What kind of madman would LP this game?

One who is not afraid to die.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

One who is not afraid to die.

Considering the majority of the game's weapons will kill the player, this is not metaphorical in the least.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Considering the majority of the game's weapons will kill the player, this is not metaphorical in the least.

We fear nothing. Not man, anime or C4 Videogamechampionshipwrestling.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Beat the final boss on shogun difficulty without cheating. I want to see you triumph where I failed.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Beat the final boss on shogun difficulty without cheating. I want to see you triumph where I failed.

Well CQC is not an FPS expert so count him how. I however, will record myself beating this game on Shogun as I totally and truthfully have done so before, honest.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh poo poo, today's update day since it's weekly right? Awesome, looking forward to seeing more of the George Romero classic 'Daikatana' at some point today!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Steak Eater posted:

Oh poo poo, today's update day since it's weekly right? Awesome, looking forward to seeing more of the George Romero classic 'Daikatana' at some point today!

It was supposed to be out a few hours ago but CQC is a piece of poo poo.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It was supposed to be out a few hours ago but CQC is a piece of poo poo.

Can confirm, probably passed out in a ditch.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Look I'm an unreliable drunk but it'll be out soon I promise.

I'm drunk right now.

EDIT: No really I'm rendering right now so all the editing is done so I don't have to worry about trying to edit while drunk, it's just a matter of me finishing then youtube finishing. That's gross, Yeezy's all on your sofa.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 10, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wonder how an ad campaign of "THIS GAME WILL MAKE YOU [developer]'s BITCH!" would be handled in today's time. People would be falling over themselves to be the most offended and then play the game anyway.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I wonder how an ad campaign of "THIS GAME WILL MAKE YOU [developer]'s BITCH!" would be handled in today's time. People would be falling over themselves to be the most offended and then play the game anyway.

It'd cause a lot of controversy and people would pay a lot of attention to it, so it'd sell really well because everyone decrying it would give it free advertising.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Suck it down, feminazis.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

I'm a loving moron.

Let's Play Daikatana Episode 3: Shaft Wilson

In this update, we get a buddy, and showcase the game's amazing AI and totally logical puzzle design.
EDIT: I want to take this moment to say that everyone should play Daikatana to completion. No I am not joking. Go buy the game on GOG or steam and play that poo poo. It'll give you a better appreciation of what makes a game bad and what good games do right.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

DA PANET EARF posted:

I'm a loving moron.

Let's Play Daikatana Episode 3: Shaft Wilson

In this update, we get a buddy, and showcase the game's amazing AI and totally logical puzzle design.
EDIT: I want to take this moment to say that everyone should play Daikatana to completion. No I am not joking. Go buy the game on GOG or steam and play that poo poo. It'll give you a better appreciation of what makes a game bad and what good games do right.
Your link is set as the screenshot of your files, not the video.

• Locked thread