Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRF
Apr 24, 2010
What is this thread?

Its a place for those curious in serving abroad, whether for the US government or for NGOs, as well as for those currently working in all things related to international development, politics, aid and operations. If you know you want to work abroad for a "greater" purpose but aren't too sure where would be the best fit for you, hopefully the posters here can point you in the right direction.

What makes this thread special?

There is already a lot of great information posted already, with the Peace Corps, US Foreign Service , and Military threads still actively providing advice. However, if you are on the fence on what you may want to do, this will be a good place to start. I'm also hoping to see this as a discussion board on issues that relate to all things international service. As an American, this will be biased towards the American perspective, but it is always great to hear from other nationalities as well.

Well, who the hell am i?

I was a former Marine Officer and left my dear Corps in 2012 to do volunteer work in the country of Georgia. Soon afterwards, I left to join the Peace Corps in Azerbaijan for about 2 years before the post was closed by the Azerbaijani government. When I was in the Marines and the Peace Corps, I worked with the State Department on a few issues, ranging from stability operations to English education development. I've been working on a guide for international service for about 6 months now and one of my personal goals for this thread is finding out what people may want and need in such a book. If you are interested in reading some of my personal thoughts on the subject, please feel free to head over to my blog: http://www.theamericanfrontiers.com/

Some question to get the ball rolling...

Can American military aid be considered "humanitarian?"
Should non-government organizations work with the US government?
What is the track record of recent US nation-building efforts?
Why is the military usually in charge of nation building if it well... isn't good at it? Why isn't it good at it?
Differences and similarities between the Peace Corps and US military
If I want to help people, should I join the military? Isn't the Navy "A FORCE FOR GOOD"?!
What should I do?!?

I'm looking forward to hearing different perspectives and if there isn't an answer off the top of my head, I'll do my best to ask someone who may know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
i'm in the navy, can i use my "FORCE FOR GOOD" experience to join an NGO and make more money once im out???

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still bashing my head against the FSOT and trying to get into the foreign service, but the idea of working abroad in international service even outside of the US government's payroll appeals to me too. I've thought about applying to the Peace Corps, but I keep waffling over that decision because I'm a cash-strapped millennial who yearns for a proper paycheck and a proper hold on something that could be considered a proper career whenever possible. What are some of the better options for someone who wants to serve abroad as more than a volunteer? Or at least, a good path towards that?

• Locked thread