Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
We're baaaaack!

After inexplicably winning the last round of Rockstar I have been tasked with the impossible chore of creating a theme that makes everyone happy. Knowing this was impossible I decided instead to make a theme that will make nobody happy: Country Music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Everyone hates country music. It's the one thing that can bring us all together. There are so many lovely country/western songs out there featuring such genre staples as:
- stupid lyrics
- predictable song structures
- mindless patriotism
- mysogyny
- lack of musical talent
- repetitive licks and lyrics
- yodeling
- whatever the hell this is

Surely we can do better, right? So that's the task. Take a country song and improve it. Or, take a non-country song and shitify it by turning it into a country song. I don't care.

Cut the sleeves off your shirts, grab your woman's rear end, drink a case of beer, and get on it! Deadline is July 4th :911: THAT'S RIGHT...ONE MONTH!! GO GO GO

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Yes, Bluegrass counts as country too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I think I'm in... gonna take some serious thought though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Conway Twitty's "You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly".

It's a real song. And I'm on that.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I'm going to do something by Alison Krauss. Don't know what yet.

Edit: Tentatively Steel Rails.
Edit2: Just kidding I'm totally doing You Belong With Me by TSwift because I am a giant tool.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tentatively calling The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I would like to do this but I'm having a hard time coming up with any good ideas. Will need to think on it.

Edit: ok I'm going to tentatively call "god bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. I might have a plan.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 11, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I somehow missed when the new thread went up.

This theme is amazing. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I can't wait to get started.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Duelling banjos. Yeah, that's right.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Duelling banjos. Yeah, that's right.

Hell yes.

E: drat.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 13, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prepare to be disappointed. It's going to be an EDM version. Tentatively entitled Duelling Benzos.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Okay, I'm tentatively doing Fishin' in the Dark, because it turns out I don't actually know very many country songs or even recognize them when I go through the Billboard charts for the past ten years.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Aaaagh. While I'm not sure I've ever listened to Country music by choice, I don't hate it at all- but I am having a hell of a time picking a song to uncountrify. I like doing songs that I can gradually build over time or have cool bridges or alternate verses to keep things interesting, but so many of the songs I've found have such simple structures:

ABABAB (and often the only difference between the verse and chorus is the chorus has harmonies; otherwise they're musically similar)
BABABAB (starting off with the chorus)

I've even found some straight-up AAA songs.

There were a handful I thought I could do something interesting musically with, but were clearly written from female perspective, and changing the genders would mess up the rhymes.

Still searching...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to cover this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjnQjRvPUQ

Reggae seems like the obvious choice.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Ugh, this one is right up my alley, every time I pick up a guitar and sing I end up making country music out of whatever I'm playing.

However I'm mega busy and my studio isn't in working condition. Maybe I'll buckle down setup my gear. Maybe.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Pull up Hank WIlliams Greatest Hits, put it on random, and cover the first song you get. Can't go wrong. It's just some chords and some words.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Country is good OP.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Lotophage posted:

Country is good OP.

Not after we get done with it.

For the last round I took an industrial/metal song and turned it into countrified bluegrass. I think this round I'll do the opposite. Just not sure which song yet.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
So I am just sitting down to get started on this now. It's going to be a one-shot deal I think, I don't know how long I will be able to tolerate the song before I say "good enough."

Edit: Ok I'm done. Record time, two hours.

Edit Again: Was going to wait to submit but whatever, here it is. God Bless The USA goes liturgical.

https://soundcloud.com/koivunen/god-bless-the-usa-liturgical-cover

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 2, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Sorry, everyone, I'm out of this round. Basement flooded, lost some instruments, had to move before mold overtook the rest of the house and just about to get settled in the new place. I can't wait to hear the entries and be back for the next one!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I hate to be the one to ask for an extension, but I'm not gonna have anything done by tomorrow.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Oh my god.

e:The crash loving kills me.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Alternative pants posted:

I hate to be the one to ask for an extension, but I'm not gonna have anything done by tomorrow.

Haha I haven't even started. Extension is now in effect.

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

Oh man. I see this post deadline and am currently recording a country ep. Extension you say?

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Okay then lets shoot for July 26th, poll goes up the following day. Jump on it. :banjo:

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

On it.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Deadline is this Sunday you slackers

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hawklad posted:

Deadline is this Sunday you slackers
SO.

I've recorded "Life Is A Highway" in three different keys. All turds.

But I'm gonna have some magic done by god. OH I WILL.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I did a thing. It's completely raw and unmixed, but I didn't want to not submit anything, and this forces me to at least try and mix and fix before the deadline because I don't want this going out to the unwashed masses.
The Thunder Rolls

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DEAD SKUNK. It's Bluegrass more than Country, but I tried to give it that hip hop Georgia Florida Line country poo poo spin. Meh.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/dead-skunk

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

magnificent7 posted:

DEAD SKUNK. It's Bluegrass more than Country, but I tried to give it that hip hop Georgia Florida Line country poo poo spin. Meh.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/dead-skunk

Well, contest over. I liked it better when you only threatened to complete an entry.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hawklad posted:

Well, contest over. I liked it better when you only threatened to complete an entry.

Dude. Thanks. But... every song I record sounds exactly the same. It bugs the poo poo out of me now.

And I won't win.

True to form, I'll come in third. Always third. Never first, never second. Third.

One of you jackasses will record an amazing version of Jolene or Ring of Fire, and my poo poo will just be the noise you hear on pop radio.

Like - it's good enough to get on the radio, not interesting enough to stay on the radio. (meaning, MY song compared to everybody else. NOT my song compared to pop radio.)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Well here it is. My ears are shot, my throat is raw and I've got blisters on my fingers.

The Thunder Rolls

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
I need to quit and post this crap before I go insane.

edit: I did "Head on the Door" by The Cure. I originally tried to synth up an Alan Jackson song but I scrapped that last minute and ran through this one today.

There are a million things I'd change but I'm done with this poo poo for today.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremy-you-know/head-on-the-saloon-door

Roger Troutman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 27, 2015

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
We're going to have a mini-extension to the extension...post your crap tracks by this Sunday, August 2nd. Then I'll put the the poll and maybe we will get 10 votes! You guys still want to put it in NMD? Or some other forum?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hawklad posted:

We're going to have a mini-extension to the extension...post your crap tracks by this Sunday, August 2nd. Then I'll put the the poll and maybe we will get 10 votes! You guys still want to put it in NMD? Or some other forum?
Maybe we try Election Erection this time around -- get all the political debaters all up in a rage.

-- I've got a second one I'm going to finish; and then decide which one to ultimately submit. The second one -- it's a goddamn great idea - "Life Is a Highway To Hell" -- I'm just hurting myself mixing Rascall Flatts and AC/DC.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yep. I done it.

Screw that other one. This is the greatest thing I've ever recorded today.
-- deleted --
Jesus Christ only a man with no nuts could hit those goddamn notes.

edit: UPDATED VERSION
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/life-is-a-highway-to-hell-final

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 3, 2015

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That is a goddamned masterpiece, mag7.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

magnificent7 posted:

Yep. I done it.

Screw that other one. This is the greatest thing I've ever recorded today.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/life-is-a-highway-to-hell

Jesus Christ only a man with no nuts could hit those goddamn notes.

Holy fuuuuuuuuck

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

peter gabriel posted:

Holy fuuuuuuuuck
Thank you all for the nice comments... I love it when I have a really stupid idea, pull it off, and somebody gets it.

It's way more fun than the alternative, like my Sean Connery sings Sweet Transvestite, or James Brown covers STP's Plush.

Jesus those were just unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Have you got a download link to your Highway tune?
If it's OK I'd like to play it at the next gig I DJ at early on, would be good to hear it over a 10k rig ha ha

• Locked thread