Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
last time i tried multiplayer was when the new netcode hit, and it wasn't perfect but it was far far better than before, and they've done some physics changes since, too, that should've helped a bit I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

Never thought I'd see the day when this was a perfectly practical planetary mining setup.

It works with stacked pistons but I used a modded 35m one for compactness. You can ride the drill down and drill around down there by hand too.

I will see your majestic mobile base and raise you the Mantis Battle Tank :mil101:

The default body has an internal cockpit, and it's entirely Reinforced Armour. Dual-layered in most places too. Even without something on the hardpoint, it still has twin forward and rear 300mm cannons, and a few little missile/saberoid-swatting sentry turrets.

It comes with four flavours of weapon mounts;

"Vanilla" (aka; 2x300mm Cannon)

"gently caress the sky, and all who dwell in it." (40mm Bofors AA)

"Meat and Bug Grinder" :gibs: (Vulcan AMS and spider-shredder)

and "gently caress you, Die" :commissar:. While the static Little David cannons look limited, it actually uses its thrusters to hover on the spot and aim upwards so it can do things like knock hovering capital-scale ships in the sky down a notch. Or into the ground.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Escape From Mars seems to have been updated for 1.186, I was just trying it when my only vehicle and source of power decided to explode suddenly, leaving nothing but 6 wheels to flop over sadly. After the particle effects cleared it was just gone, no scraps, no trace of all the cargo, nothing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Statutory Ape posted:

Is multiplayer finally ok in space engineers

Ok is exactly how I would describe it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Verizian posted:

Escape From Mars seems to have been updated for 1.186, I was just trying it when my only vehicle and source of power decided to explode suddenly, leaving nothing but 6 wheels to flop over sadly. After the particle effects cleared it was just gone, no scraps, no trace of all the cargo, nothing.

There's an issue with massive lag spikes at the moment that can't be fixed due to changes in the core game since EFM was released.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I just released SEAMIN. A scenario start (like one of the easy starts) with mods and a block unlock system and several custom bases and challenges.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I just released SEAMIN. A scenario start (like one of the easy starts) with mods and a block unlock system and several custom bases and challenges.

Hey man, a couple of early game bits of feedback:

* The emergency starting craft is really clangy, it could do with a landing gear hidden on the bottom if that's possible. Couple of times it bounced me in to the roof and caused damage and the whole thing shakes to poo poo when walking round it.

* The starting rover won't let you place wheels on the front 2 3x3 wheel suspensions if you've already built the armour blocks round it, I had to add another block to bring them out one to get the wheels to auto place.

Looks good so far though, I'll possibly record a "let's play" over the next few days, just got one last 12 hour shift to power through first :)

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

AceClown posted:

* The emergency starting craft is really clangy, it could do with a landing gear hidden on the bottom if that's possible. Couple of times it bounced me in to the roof and caused damage and the whole thing shakes to poo poo when walking round it.

Multiplayer? During my tests, the start pods was stable as a rock.

As for the rover, I suppose I could add some build instructions to help out a bit..

I'd love to see the LP! Be sure to post about it!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 21, 2018

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

As for the rover, I suppose I could add some build instructions to help out a bit..

I'd love to see the Lap! Be sure to post about it!

Just single player dude

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well, it seems that I've forgotten to test walking-around while the pod is in motion... For now, I suggest for you to stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop. At least until keen fixes walking on moving grids.

Edit: Grids that aren't static can't be walked on at all right now. It's keen physics-ing.

Also, wolves and spiders are completely 100% not working. They don't move and can't attack you. And autopilot (and pirate drones) are unable to go faster than 15m/s in gravity. God this game is so broke.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 21, 2018

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I got the game from the recent sale, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. The core gameplay is amazing, minus a bit of jankiness here and there. My biggest gripe is that there's very little reason to actually go to planets, and when you do they're mostly empty. All of the ores are available in space, and in fact one of them (platinum) is only available away from planets. I've seen a couple of mods that solve these problems, like one that makes various ores only available on certain planets (chart of ore availability), and one that adds random structures on planet surfaces, but does anyone have some suggestions for mods to make planets more useful in survival? Do ore mods work if I load them into a world I've already started?

Also, does anyone have experience playing with high ping? I'm in Asia and I tried playing with friends in the eastern US and UK and they said it was effectively unplayable while I was hosting.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

My biggest gripe is that there's very little reason to actually go to planets, and when you do they're mostly empty.

Look a few posts up.

I recently released SEAMIN which was made exactly for that reason. Start on earth, unlock blocks till you can finally leave and get into space, visit lava planet, and then eventually unlock mostly everything and a ridiculously huge and difficult pirate base found on the alien planet that holds a large reactor that doesn't need fuel. I've made a bunch of custom pirate bases for it and everything. It also works with any ore mods you want. Ore modding is surprisingly easy to do, and you can add/remove them in excising worlds with almost no problem.

If nothing else, you can check out what mods are included in it and see what you like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Look a few posts up.

I recently released SEAMIN which was made exactly for that reason. Start on earth, unlock blocks till you can finally leave and get into space, visit lava planet, and then eventually unlock mostly everything and a ridiculously huge and difficult pirate base found on the alien planet that holds a large reactor that doesn't need fuel. I've made a bunch of custom pirate bases for it and everything. It also works with any ore mods you want. Ore modding is surprisingly easy to do, and you can add/remove them in excising worlds with almost no problem.

If nothing else, you can check out what mods are included in it and see what you like.

Out of curiosity, did you wind up using my base kit for your custom pirate bases?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Look a few posts up.

I saw it, but I was worried about losing the 10 or so hours of progress I've made in my current run. I also like the idea of the grind-to-learn system but feel it's too restrictive. Mods can be turned off, and I suppose I could go into my current save in creative mode, copy my base and (two) ships, paste them into your modset, and switch back to survival from there. I don't think there'd be any problem with that, would there?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, did you wind up using my base kit for your custom pirate bases?

I did not. My custom bases are all based on vanilla bases.

Spoggerific posted:

I saw it, but I was worried about losing the 10 or so hours of progress I've made in my current run. I also like the idea of the grind-to-learn system but feel it's too restrictive. Mods can be turned off, and I suppose I could go into my current save in creative mode, copy my base and (two) ships, paste them into your modset, and switch back to survival from there. I don't think there'd be any problem with that, would there?

You can paste in your stuff into the scenario no problem. Just activate creative mode tools in the alt-F10 menu and slap it all somewhere. Just be aware that you'll need to grind-to-learn EVERYTHING, and there's no way around turning that system off once it's going. You can also add whatever other mods you like, but you'll need to paste a blueprint with some sample blocks to get the mod blocks you added.

My custom bases each have several mod-blocks to grind and learn. You'll need to search for them too, as I don't provide any waypoint guidance, but they have beacons cranked up to max. Just watch out for any base names that have the "Evil" prefix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I did not. My custom bases are all based on vanilla bases.

Fair enough. I was just curious as I remembered you looking into them.

I've been rebuilding one of my verrrry old ships to something that can show off the Kestrel shuttle's assault config.

Carries a pair of them in external docking grooves as a light cruiser. The kind of thing to go hassle cargo ships with an inspection, or cover the Kestrels while they latch onto someone's hull and grind in through the belly airlock hatch :black101:.

It also has an internal hangar with an Ant buggy tossed in. For sick offroad stunts while planetside.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'd love to see the LP! Be sure to post about it!

Got the modpack working and played for a few hours on my base I copy-pasted from another save. +1 for the starting ship being possessed by the clang, and wolves (not sure about spiders) being completely broken right now. The patch released today may have fixed the NPC speed bug. Seems like the multiplayer lag I was talking about earlier was caused by a bug fixed in the same patch.

I disabled the "grind to learn" mod for personal preference, but I'll still follow along on the intended progression path and post my impressions as I play through it. Looking forward to having something to work towards in survival.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also has an internal hangar with an Ant buggy tossed in. For sick offroad stunts while planetside.

You should call that the Picard-1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

You should call that the Picard-1

Actually what comes to mind for me when I go driving an Ant is Gone Guru.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! As usual we have a regular Thursday dose of fixes and improvements for you!

Fixes

fixed various crashes
added warning message when loading old save positions
due to issues with compatibility with certain sound cards the Echo feature has been disabled and checkbox removed from Audio options
fixed welding effect not stopping after finishing block
fixed player position being desynced when moving around wheels in multiplayer
fixed jumping car issue after disconnecting from connector on DS
fixed unintended invulnerability in campaign mission 5 after boss arrival
fixed exploit in changing access to grid by selecting all in the control panel from one owned block

Fixes (Player Reports)

fixed autopilot not stopping after deleting last waypoint
fixed grids being counted towards block limit even when pasting failed
fixed broadcasting key not working on large grids
fixed character broadcasting key not making sound
fixed repeating build sound of half built wheels
fixed different units on sliders than in text inputs in blocks settings

Thanks!
Keen Software House team

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

fixed welding effect not stopping after finishing block

Yesssss, now they just need to fix the welder not lining up with the crosshair cos for some reason that bugs the poo poo out of me

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A couple questions:
  • Can you add blocks at angles that don't snap to grid? I want to put some LCDs in front of my small ship cockpit, but it's either hard to read while flat or gets in the way at 90 degree angles.
  • What's the difference between a text LCD and a normal LCD?
  • Is there a way to add small blocks to a large grid without using connectors?
  • Is there a list or explanation somewhere of block HP values and weights and how damage works? The wiki only has weight values. I want to compare the weight vs armor of light and heavy armor and some other blocks.
  • Does adding a bunch of small ships to a large one via connectors risk the wrath of Lord Clang?
Thanks for the help.

I've got a good game going on the survival modpack posted earlier. I have a good, if half-unfinished base going. My newest addition is a hangar where I plan to keep a couple of my small ships. I'm thinking about setting up a projector and welders for each ship, and just being able to print a new one with a press of a button should something happen to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spoggerific posted:

A couple questions:
  • Can you add blocks at angles that don't snap to grid? I want to put some LCDs in front of my small ship cockpit, but it's either hard to read while flat or gets in the way at 90 degree angles.
  • What's the difference between a text LCD and a normal LCD?
  • Is there a way to add small blocks to a large grid without using connectors?
  • Is there a list or explanation somewhere of block HP values and weights and how damage works? The wiki only has weight values. I want to compare the weight vs armor of light and heavy armor and some other blocks.
  • Does adding a bunch of small ships to a large one via connectors risk the wrath of Lord Clang?
Thanks for the help.

*Nope. Get the Slope LCD modpack.

*Text LCD is a widescreen monitor, the other covers the entire block surface as a square screen.

*You can mount small-block rotor heads to large-block rotor bases. Aside from that, nope.

*Not that I know of.

*Nope. Make sure to group and turn off their thrusters though, because they will fight the mothership's thrusters.

*Take a look at the Twin Welder modblock, they have a much larger area of effect that makes them ideal for ship-printing. If you want to get REALLY fancy with projectors and merge blocks, take a look at some of the poo poo I've done with modular work ships. The Eagle WorkPod is a good vanilla-block one to mess with for ideas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make some pretty setpieces with airlock doors and windows:

I really do love how this game looks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

You can make some pretty setpieces with airlock doors and windows:

I really do love how this game looks.

What does it look like from the outside?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A bit silly at present given that I just strapped a bunch of poo poo onto it to get it back off the planet I crashed it into testing the landing thrusters.

Also haven't built the main flight bridge yet on the end of the glass umbilical.

Most of the work honestly has gone into wiring up the thing with airlocks and automatic doors everywhere. And doing it all in survival is quite slow. I need to find somewhere to stick an extra pair of H2 tanks in there as well as ideally about a dozen large atmospheric engines that aren't all on the outside.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 27, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

A bit silly at present given that I just strapped a bunch of poo poo onto it to get it back off the planet I crashed it into testing the landing thrusters.

Also haven't built the main flight bridge yet on the end of the glass umbilical.

Most of the work honestly has gone into wiring up the thing with airlocks and automatic doors everywhere. And doing it all in survival is quite slow. I need to find somewhere to stick an extra pair of H2 tanks in there as well as ideally about a dozen large atmospheric engines that aren't all on the outside.

I'd suggest you get rid of the windows in that large hall, just because you have a perfectly good hangar bay for work pods and general subcraft going to waste.

Every ship should have a wee little work pod. :allears:

It's a Mk.2 of the Hummingbird and it's just slightly shorter than the original. Just to make something cheaper, and more compact, like a proper zero-g engineering craft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's got two hangers in the wings already, the hall is literally just to look nice.

Plus it's kind of designed to not need smaller ships, once I get the nose on it it's going to have a front drill and it already has a ventral drill for refuelling when landed. Mostly because I can't be arsed with building small ships or trying to fly them around.

The ship generally is designed to be something you can build fairly easily from a planetary start and which is just enjoyable to fly around in space with, hence the automatic doors everywhere and observation rooms.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

It's got two hangers in the wings already, the hall is literally just to look nice.

Plus it's kind of designed to not need smaller ships, once I get the nose on it it's going to have a front drill and it already has a ventral drill for refuelling when landed. Mostly because I can't be arsed with building small ships or trying to fly them around.

Fair enough. It is a very nice hall :swoon:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, this week's patch notes are pretty meager even by KSH bugfix-week standards.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! We continue with the steady stream of regular minor patches, while most of the team is working on more optimizations and polish for the future major update. Thanks a lot for your patience, support and all the bug reports!

Fixes

fixed various crashes
fixed game freezing after crashing large ships on dedicated server
fixed issue with engineer being visible through blocks

Thanks!
Keen Software House Team

I've also actually removed something from the new Hummingbird Pod.

I originally went with the usual fully-enclosing killdozer combat armor, but it's kinda expensive compared to the general intent of the work pod. And pretty drat heavy.

So instead it's gonna have a pair of reinforced-armor riot shields, just to give it a small-time patrol craft/interceptor look with decent damage and protection. Plus they look better when used with other tools than half an armor shell.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Any of you guys keeping an eye on Dual Universe, gotta say it looks pretty spicey if they pull it off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
KSH and Marek Rosa just dropped a big blog posts on development going forward. The whole thing is here, but there's a relevant part to be aware of;

quote:

New way of doing releases
As Space Engineers is nearing its final release date our focus is on polishing, bug fixing and overall game quality rather than adding new game features. Therefore, we’ve decided to change our development cycle. This new development cycle is probably not the final one, but we think that it will work perfectly fine at this stage of development.

We have decided to eliminate the number of weekly updates and handle them on a case by case basis, in other words, when necessary.

Our main focus will be on major updates, which will bring more impactful changes to the game. This way we can focus our development and testing teams on major updates. This will give them time to do proper development and to test the entire game. The number of test cases we need to run prior to a major release is over 8000, and it requires 3 weeks of full time work of the entire QA team.

Once a major update is released, we will spend few days or weeks hotfixing the most important crashes and game breakers, but we really hope there will be a minimum of those game breakers after the release.

This isn't really surprising considering the weeklies have gotten to X.10+ with very minor changes just to fill the weekly slot.

And while I'm posting anyway;

The cruiser I've been rebuilding has gained a big fat rear end to make it less slow in atmosphere;

There's a Large Hydrogen Thruster between all four of the engine pods for extra thrust.

And the rear shuttle still fits in nice and snugly in its landing groove.

The hangar bay can also now dismantle visiting shuttles salvaged ships, along with equip stuff via the internal subcraft bays.

I wound up with a lot of empty space in the forward section, and it kinda turned into something neat; a portable beachhead. The idea being in larger fights you either ram the cruiser's nose into a capital ship, or just dock against the hull, and grind your way in to board it (The same thing the armored shuttles are kinda for, but on a larger scale).

Oh, and I also uploaded the Hummingbird Mk.2 Workpod. It doesn't need the VTOL frame to work in atmosphere, but it helps for when you're fully-loaded or just don't want/can't afford to burn fuel. It's just designed to be a compact, (relatively) cheap work pod you can stick anywhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seems like every dev team I've ever seen do weekly updates eventually gave up on them.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
To be fair, they'd been doing weeklies since what, 2013? That's a lot of weekly updates.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

And they probably should have gave up on them years ago, not trying Stable/Dev or Major/Minor stuff, that was all really the same weekly structure.

Aslo I feel like Marek's blog post reads like the game is a year or two old, not 5.

Open development = feature creap

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's no way devs support themselves by tinkering with an indie game for 5 years like this. There's no way they can have enough income without some sort of secondary revenue stream.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Bhodi posted:

There's no way devs support themselves by tinkering with an indie game for 5 years like this. There's no way they can have enough income without some sort of secondary revenue stream.

According to SteamSpy around 2,400,000 people own Space Engineers and 300,000 people own Medieval Engineers. Let's ignore Medieval Engineers entirely and assume roughly 2/3rds of people bought Space Engineers on sale, leading to an average $15 price. $15 * 2.4 million * .7 (Steam's 30%) = 25 million dollars.

From what I can find online the average wage in Prague is around $20 K/year, with software engineers making around $30 K/year.

According to Wikipedia Keen has around 50 employees so if all of those are full-time software engineers it comes out to $1.5 million/year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Seems like every dev team I've ever seen do weekly updates eventually gave up on them.

It's really not surprising, considering in the past few months they've gotten up to x.10+ despite trying to aim for monthly Major Patches, and the last few weeklies have been pretty drat meager. It's kinda impressive they held out this long with them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had a funny thing happen in an pvp mp server the other day.

Some new player joined, started building up, begged some other other players for help, gave their location to the players that responded and promised to help, the players turned up, killed the newbie, and the newbie had a meltdown on how lying to people in a pvp game is against the rules of pvp.

Not the server pvp rules, of which there is none, but actual established, codified, generally applicable pvp rules.

Kept continuing their meltdown, got super lovely at me for not condemning the pvpers pvping (which i refused to do, citing that pvp has no rules unless specified, and while it was a lovely thing for them to do, it was perfectly acceptable).

I offered to give them a decked out jump capable large grid miner, they refused on the grounds that i would just kill them and steal all their nothings in a transaction where all they had to do was join my faction, spawn at a faction medbay i was going to open up for them and take the ship.

They then continued with a "well maybe it's because I'm only a :females:, but i can't see how lying in pvp doesn't make you an awful player" spiel until i got tired of their poo poo and said to them "i don't want to help you any longer" and "I'm glad you got griefed", which was apparently not pc enough to redeem the server in her eyes.

That was my fun mp server story and now i remember why i always play solo in mp games. Thank you for reading.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Trust noone, not even yourself.

Are MP servers better than they were a year or two ago? What population is the server you play on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Had an idiot join a server I was playing on and the first thing they asked was if griefing was allowed. I had no idea and didn't respond though usually actual griefing (not what you described, though still lovely) is generally not allowed in most games PvP or not. Then a few minutes later they ask to join a clan.

Some other new player was naive enough to let them join and amazingly they didn't immediately turn on the player. They did get into slapfights for a couple of hours until they needed to respawn and didn't read the warning that selecting a new ship would wipe their character and threw a fit then rage quit.

• Locked thread