Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Spookydonut posted:

I still see zero point in pressurizing ship interiors when you can just carry oxygen tanks with you, especially given explosive decompression loses you a ton of precious oxygen.

Yeah I've found the oxygen mechanics are overall just a bit of a chore. I get what they were going for but they've missed the mark, the advantages of pressurising your interior aren't worth the trade-offs and risk, especially because airlocks are a pain in the arse to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Today I designed a large ship and it didn't come out as a large box. This is a milestone in my ship designing.

Now I just need to paint it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SexyCommando posted:

I hope sometime in the future we get auto-shaping slope blocks that don't look like dented garbage. If there was some way to specify a series of points and have the blocks use them to automatically form a bézier curve that would be the dream.

less lovely paint tools would be cool too

Here is my ugly ship. It might not look like much, but it's the first large ship design I've made that hasn't ended up as a rectangular prism of heavy armour blocks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to make some fancy curves, try a Pixel Circle Generator.

Just to give an example; to make the basic rounded hull for this I started with a long oval for the length of most of the body (to make it shorter in the aft, it's just a longer half-oval for the front and a shorter one for the rear), then made circles at each diminishing width of the oval. After that, you just fill in the blank spaces between them and adjust the shape as you need.

That's incredible, how long did that take you!? Also, when you were designing it, did you make the hull first and then fill it with stuff, or work your way out from a skeleton of components?

Truga posted:

Nice :dong: you have there :v:

I deliberately avoided putting a second reactor at the back because, well, you know.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I wish they'd change it so you "swam" in zero gravity, so your body is behind your view rather than below it. It would make the infuriating collision meshes on doors much less annoying.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

I look forward to your new sitcom about a crew on a research space vessel and their failed experiments.

Speaking of, what's the latest with those goons who were making SS13 in space engineers?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

How much of a reproduction will it be, are we talking different clothes for different jobs, the whole hog? You really could have something here on a DayZ to Arma level if you are planning on really going deep with the faithfulness to the original. I know many have been hankering for a 3d SS13 and this engine is actually perfect for it (block based vs tile based, detailed destructions, etc).

Does the engine support decals? Definitely going to need poo.

The engine is so perfect it even has the required awful netcode! Really hope the devs get on that, it's holding back the game's potential a lot.

SS13 mod is going to be so great

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cool! Thanks for that, good to see your process.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here, go blow something up. :v:

I wouldn't bother about classes or balance like that. SS13 certainly doesn't, and nothing stops people from doing other jobs. It's a lot better for it, really. Something you might want to check out, if you haven't already, is Sektan's Spawn Points.

Yeah part of the fun in ss13 is having to do somebody else's job for them, and neglecting to do your own as a result. Classes only really affect access and starting gear, both of which go out the window after five minutes of game time.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I just hope the netcode gets fixed soon; All of this stuff is cool but the game can't really handle more than two people at the moment, so it's all a bit of a waste.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell just shoot for the obvious dumb comparison of "well Minecraft renders a shitload of blocks with lighting without going slower than an elderly driver, why cant Space Engineers?" With the exact same answer - Minecraft wasnt hacked onto a basic shooter engine. I like Space Engineers and all, but the engine really does need a multithread rebuild.

Also, to be fair to SE, minecraft doesn't run all that fast and it has had years of optimisation to get it to where it is now.

With the air vent thing, what's the best way to set this up for easier airlocks?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I'm 90% sure they mean Inertia or Momentum.

Yeah, based on the content of the video, it seems like none of them knew the words inertia or momentum. English isn't their first language is it? Their phrasing doesn't make much sense considering that objects of different mass fall at the same rate, something already modelled in the game (which is good because it'd be broken as gently caress otherwise).

This is a pretty cool little patch though, I haven't tried it yet but the particle effect should make it much easier to keep track of where your velocity vector is currently pointing.

And they promised they're working on the multiplayer :swoon:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I bisected and dissected the Avalon in a separate World just to make sure I hadn't accidentally created any gaps between rooms or left any too-shallow points in the armor by accident. It's actually even thicker than I thought in some places.

Here's one of the dissected portions from the hacked-off left side;

I just have a .txt file with the few self-written scripts I use that aren't the Configurable LCD script.

This is cool as poo poo

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I just checked out the improved autopilot.

It ploughed me straight in to an asteroid at extreme speed.

1/10.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Verizian posted:

There's a check box called "avoid collisions" on the remote block's control panel.

Yeah, found it. Which comedian thought it'd be a good idea to have this off by default?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pirates make the lone survivor start pretty terrifying. I just had to flee my base when the raiders appeared on the radar. They're now chasing me around as I do a quick bit of mining (I don't have any weapons at all yet, let alone enough to fight a pirate vessel).

I've had some situations where the autopilot has gotten confused with collision detection on, but for the most part it's pretty good. The timing on these features was very clever. Autopilot means it's easier to go afk, but pirates mean you have to pay attention because you could be attacked at any moment. Less grind without reducing player participation.

For people who are fighting the pirates, how heavily armed are they?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The smaller bases have two gatling turrets, the bigger ones have four. I suspect there's a version out there somewhere with missile turrets. The Drones aren't all that heavily-armed, the attack variant I've seen is just a single nose-mounted Gatling Turret with light armor. That'll probably change as KSH adds more stuff to it though.

Oh good, I should be able to fight that off

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

It's a Windows 10 thing, I had the same problem (dx11 fixed it for me, compatibility mode didn't work).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Uncle Spriggly posted:

It's odd when you see what looks like a flat, smooth, but steep incline and then you find out it's the craggiest peice of land ever. Im always going too fast and the result is me repairing wheels.

One day I dream we can start a racing league and do an entire planetary circuit.

That would be cool as hell

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jigoku San posted:

For all that Keen/ Marek has talked up AI with GoodAi and such, SE/ME only has rudimentary ai that most games implement for granted imo. I think the spiders/cyberhounds follow the same basic commands like the drone ai; find player, goto player, atttack player or attack object/explode.

E: That kinda fits where my tension with SE is. I love SE, I got 600hrs in it by Steam, but I feel that some things are left for spectacle rather than real use, survival or creative. The Deformation/damage model for one. So many time I've tried out a fighter(my own or workshop) and 95% of the time my cockpit is killed due to a deforming block or the laser accuracy of the turrets. Same with large ships, sometimes blocks will deform into a thin line spanning blocks and insta-kill any non-deforming block in the way. Wheel have been in for a long time, with planets they really need a rework.

The mod system is broad but equally shallow, it allows some great stuff, but a lot of it is re-skins/specs of existing blocks, not anything truly game changing. Like if I wanted a multi-point thruster, deploy-able solar panel, a weapon system not like the included 2, etc its impossible.

I know they've been focusing on planets for what a year or more now and coming performance/MP fixes will be a good thing. I just hope they look back at modding and current features and fix/improve them for the SE of today and tomorrow.

Ugh, this turned into a late night rant, I got some thoughts about SE I've had for while out, ignore me if you want.

I agree with you. SE is a game about design, but the combat is too half assed to create interesting design problems or solutions, plus the enemies aren't interesting to fight because of the dumb AI, and the multiplayer makes PvP impossible. I've stopped playing until the netcode is fixed, because I feel like PvP will help the design aspect of the game a lot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Turrets would probably be improved if they had to lock on before they could fire and had restrictions on how fast they can rotate.

Alternatively (or also with)
Fixed weapons could be made more competitive if they could also lock on, with greatly reduced range of movement. Like the lasers on the fighters in star wars.

Hopefully that would lead to more interesting design decisions, where you can trade range of movement, accuracy, firepower, lock on times etc. More interesting than the current game of large ship machine gun turrets to instantly murder fighters and large ship rocket turrets to kill other large ships, where whoever has the most rocket turrets wins

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

i imagine this has been said already, but the minimum system requirements for this game are total bullshit. it says you need a at least a 8800 but I have a GTX 650 Ti and can't play at all. usually it just hangs at the loading screen for 20 minutes, but when i do get into the game the framerate sucks, even in outer space and on lowest settings. and changing the settings often breaks the game too.

This game is a hot mess performance wise

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

Haven't played this game for almost a year. How does the multiplayer support look right now? Should I still expect to be ejected into space every time I try to walk around my ship when it's speeding up?

multiplayer is still poo poo, but they did fix a lot of the cockpit collision issues. My understanding is that it's the next Big Item on their list of poo poo to do, and I'm waiting for it before I try playing again.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

My biggest beef with Scrap Mechanic is that blocks only connect by placement. It's impossible to have a tricycle without using two wheels in front, and even then the wheels aren't connected.

The connector tool is pretty awesome though.

Yeah this limits what you can do quite a lot. You can't set up particularly good suspension for this reason too. Multiple springs don't work, and double wishbone is completely out of the question.

However the game is great and does a lot of things really well that space engineers does not. I'm surprised nobody has made a thread for it in games, it'd do well even as just a dumping ground for "post your cool thing"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

You don't beef a battery to power things, the reactors need more uranium to run longer

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GotLag posted:

I always beef my batteries.

God drat phone autocorrect

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

easiest fix for combat currently would be to slow down the tracking rates for gun turrets and prevent rocket turrets from being able to track anything other than large ships. Small ships are currently worthless in combat because machinegun turrets mince them instantly, and none of their weapons are any good against large ships

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jigoku San posted:

The first thing would have to be a revamp of the damage model. As it is now an armor block can deform a bit and vaporize any non-deformable block attached to it or even a block away because it does infinite damage. Then the weapons need to be redone as well.

For new systems I think a power management system would be good, The old "Divert power to weapons/engines" kind of thing where everything can't just run at max all the time or turned off. It would be good for non-combat stuff too.

energy based weapons would be neat, we already have a bit of energy management in the game so it wouldn't be difficult to add power management with energy weapons.

I suspect the machine guns are currently hitscan which sucks

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GotLag posted:

They aren't hitscan.

Then they need to slow the bullets down because they may as well be

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I guess I'm just bad at the game

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mercutio Martino posted:

I've come back to SE after a long while of staying away due to a need to be productive, and with a fresh look at my ships, evaluating some of the mods I used to have and/or may no longer work (RIP Guided Missiles,) I've come to notice some problems I have with building in general and was wondering if any others have those same personal issues.

Primarily is that when it comes to making my own ships, 2 things happen:
1: Core functions come before design, resulting in large space bricks, which are scrapped
2: Appearance comes firsts, and the ship is scrapped because nothing can fit inside the hulls without turning into said bricks (I tend to stick with smaller attack frigates and destroyers.)

Bringing up the 3rd iteration of my Rail Destroyer, Rune Breaker (on the front page,) it was based on the look of a wing of a 3D model imported from EVE online, not even the whole ship. The 2nd build had a decent hangar in the rear for small drones before the oxygen update, and since the Jump Drive Update, all of that space was taken up by dual jump drives (keep one offline and fully charged, so if you jump in and can't win, immediately switch over and warp out.) I can sit there and agonize over how to use the limited space I give myself in any one hull, only to give the blueprint to Neddy who unceremoniously blows it in half because I never think of what would happen if god forbid the ship is dead in the water (it was designed to never be within 2km of anything, sniping bitches.)

What I do excel at in my mind is coming on board during the public builds of stranger's ships or those of my friends, installing half a dozen programmable blocks and some other parts to make them work, streamlining their control schemes, spending hours in a cockpit renaming blocks, adjusting settings, and testing the myriad of bells and whistles, even give them LCDs loaded with instruction manuals for the alarms, automatic LCDs, point defense systems, Radars, all that noise.

Maybe I'm just bipolar or maybe I just can't see the need for the ships that make it to the front page of the workshop with 15,000 mods to render to sewage drain pipes for the toilets that serve no purpose, or the wicked looking cockpits with a working HUD that fails when you pull a turn and all the rotors and pistons snap off, turning your bridge into a one man show about the dangers of shrapnel.

Anyone else feel that way, and keep taking breaks because of it, or is it just me?

Yeah I have exactly the same problems. Turns out the best shape to fit a pile of rectangular components is... A rectangle. Neddy only gets around it by making his ships huge.

The devs didn't put enough thought into making this a real engineering game, sadly. I think they just thought it'd happen on it's own, but the systems and simulations in game simply aren't complicated enough.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That is still a very big ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Important thing to note if you're going to make something with a self/auto-repair blueprint; make sure the version stored doesnt have the blueprint itself. It adds a much larger tax on the system when loading it into the game because it gets recursive. What I do is save a version with the projector empty, then save it again with the projector set up with the first iteration.

Also if the merge blocks on my ship's pods fall of when welded on, set the ship-side merge blocks to "Share With All".

Now that's what I call sloppy programming!

• Locked thread