Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

There is, I've tried it with a few free models. You can specify stuff like size, solid/hollow etc. But its really rough and all the results I got had mistakes and tons to clean up, It seemed better to start from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Anyone else on windows 10 having problems with SE? I can run the game fine, but when I exit it gets stuck on the pause screen till I ctrl-alt-del and close it from the desktop. Gfx drivers are up to date and I've tried compatibility settings and running as admin.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

The only way I was able to fix it was to run in DX11 mode. Otherwise I had an issue where I couldn't see the menu GUI at random times, and quitting the game caused it to hang. I wasn't even able to kill the process, I ended up having to reboot.

Thanks, I tried a bunch more stuff but this worked. So with that fixed I was able to finish my ship, not as grand as Neddy's battleship but I'm mostly happy with it.

Nice big landing bay, enough room for a several fighters, utility craft or shuttles. ( I still need to sort out the connectors)

Top and scale with the red ship.

I not really satisfied with the front/bridge, but everything else I tried was worse.

Still needs paint and a name, more guns too.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Hrm, the interior is pretty tall in places, but I'd still have to strip off the top and make a second deck. The antenna mast is right over the reactor room.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Now I think I got it. The new bridge is connected to a small room underneath that drops down to the reactor room and has a long corridor along the upper conveyor system and drops down to the front cargo area. The dual bladed front is a lot better and I kept the front bridge mostly the same, I'll probably change it to a living area.

Also I discovered the large half ramp block makes a nice ribbing effect, I tried it out on a few flat areas of the ship.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah optimization is still needed, maybe after the big planets patch (maybe). I just stick to ships around the Red Ship's size or so. I think getting rid of the "block" mentality and adding in stuff like solid 2-4x slopes and 4x-6x beams would help large construction, with less blocks to render/deform/apply physics.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Suggestion for the bow of your ship; A gravity cannon of your own, ripped right out of my own Battleship. Eyeballing the front of yours, I think you might just have enough space for it. You might want to slap some of the 23mm gatling turrets on your ship as well from the OKI pack though - meteors hurt.

I actually tried that back when the ship was just a frame and engines. It fits but I felt it unbalanced the ship a bit, now its thicker and I got a idea to scale back the hanger and fit it in father back to make a gunship variant.

I'll be adding in the guns next, All the conduit is in place, I just need to make more exterior points for the weapons.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Gun ship variant! I cut it back all the way to the hanger to mount it, the overall length is about the same. Cut the hanger in half to fit in the cargo/ammo magazine. To cover it I cut up the remains of the front end to attach and smoothed everything together.

But making the variant was way easier than debugging the gun. First the welders and grinders would turn on but not work, so I replaced them. Then the projected ammo wouldn't build so I had to tweak the projectors. Must have been something to to with c/p it to another grid? but its working now and the red and blue ships are scrap.

Ammo-wize the red shells don't seem to be exploding though.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It was fine when I spawned it, i just left everything no nobody. I think half of it was cuz it was late and I had a couple drinks, so I kept forgetting to reset the programming block while messing with it. But I swear I had problems with something not working after c/p before.

The red shell not exploding was a fluke though, the shot hit a edge and reflected without hitting the warhead. Whats the point of the cargo container in the red shell, would you load it with explosives to increase yield or rock to increase mass?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I don't know if any of you watch w4stedspace on youtube, but he got a bunch of devs in chat on his stream answering and asking a few questions. He's going to have a interview with a couple of them for his next patch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvlWkrkhnA

Also a new finished hull, still working on the interior. Building asymmetrically is a bit of a pain, but I really like how the side thrusters turned out. The other stuff in the shots are the unfinished hull of the destroyer-type ship that I'm using the same side thruster design for, my other ship with the GPC now with a blue-gray paint, and a concept broadside for a battleship.

Mods are great for tons of glowy poo poo in reactor rooms.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

There's a new massive violation of newton's laws, if there's loose blocks inside a large ship it'll move around and spin as the debris hits the inside of the ship. Noticeable when you pound a ship that has a high propensity to have loose blocks inside.
Even worse is that inertial dampeners don't stop it, only thing that does is to jump.
It seems also that severing a small piece like a catwalk inside a ship causes it to vibrate and destroy things (like reactors)

At least they fixed the whole drill ships vibrating all over the loving place.

I've seen that. Its why I embed gyros in the structure of the ship, had one floating loose destroy a full cargo container and all the poo poo in the container punched a hole through the bottom of the ship.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I completed a new iteration of a ship I've been working on for a long time. It got a bit bigger, a frigate to to the original design's corvette.
I present the FAF - Tourbillon (Fast Attack Frigate) and HAF - Hoplite (Heavy Attack Frigate). The heavy variant is to slow with stock, so I'm refitting it with mods.

Generational line up. From the right the first is my original "High-Performance Yacht" and the next is the upgraded version, replacing the ramps with 2x slopes and adding O2 and a jump drive. Next is a middle upgrade, thickening the wings, smoothing the engine shrouds and adding the spear tip. But the interior suffered so I classed it as a armed courier vessel. For the current version I did more shaping and used a bit of the design of my cruiser in it, plus made the black bands actual structural elements.
Sadly I don't have the original prototypes, I begain trying to make a version of the S-25 Starbridge from Escape Velocity Nova, it didn't turn out well.

The Fleet, at least the vanilla fleet.

I also finished off my cruiser, so it now has a small front hanger and a medbay + crew cabin behind it. They also have designations and names, finally. The vanilla version is the ERC - Vagabond (Exploration-Recon/Extended-Range Cruiser) and the Gravity cannon equipt variant is the SCD - Mangonel (Spinal Cannon Destroyer).

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, that Frigate is nice :eyepop: How've you gone with integrating the Gravity Cannon? All working properly now?

Thanks.

Yup, Grav cannon works, I've been messing with it to make the blast door open/close automatically and display everything with the LCD script. I want to setup rapid fired too, maybe with a smaller round.

But, the recent patch changed the way grav gens and mass blocks work, I think its gonna effect gravity cannons.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I put the vanilla versions of my cruiser and frigate up on the workshop if anyone wants to check them out. My Workshop.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

They will probably add some to the custom starts. Easy Planet Start 1, Very Easy Planet Start 2, a new crashed Red Ship, etc.

This patch is way buggy though. Nvidia driver crashes and cargo ships isn't checkable in the options.

Mercutio Martino posted:

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've played SE or been on the forums. You can blame Hideo Kojima for that.

If there anyone here who uses 3D import software to compile hulls, specifically ships from EVE Online?

The things I build solo have zero aesthetic form, looking more like giant floating space bricks unless I pull specific sections from imports by other users.

I do also like the challenge of making all the systems fit inside of a pre-built hull with little external modifications. Anyone here gently caress around with that stuff?

I tried messing with SEToolbox's 3d import. It uses most standard files types, you can choose to have the ship solid or hollow shell, smoothed or not and adjust the scale.

I used some free stuff from model sites and a star trek mod site, but nothing really generated well. They all required more hull shaping and fixing places where the smoothing didn't work. If you find some low poly/low detail models it might work better.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 16, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

My Frigate scaled up nicely. Not to sure about the boat bays on ether side, they are only protected by the one layer of heavy armor. Since it was already conveyored to hell and back modding for full hydrogen thrusters was easy.

Hydrogen Thrusters look awesome

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a sweet ship, but it really needs some modblock weapons that sit closer to the hull rather than the vanilla ones hanging off it.

Yeah, I like to build vanilla first then refit with choice mods like oki or mwi weapons. But really the turrets need a pass over, they had the big base to store ammo before conveyors, its not necessary anymore, a base similar to the new small turrets would be a lot better.

I do hope weapons are on there list, gonna need more/better vanilla options to combat the spider hordes.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Some ships I've seen hide them behind the "vent" windows and maybe around a corner. But that takes up more space.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Keen's doing a official planets release stream with the devs and a bunch of SE youtubers at 1:00pm est tomorrow. Update will probably drop during or after it I guess.

http://www.twitch.tv/keencommunitynetwork

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

:siren: :siren: Update out! :siren: :siren:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, if the pasted in ship clips the planet it tanks. Grass even at 0.1 is killing my fps too. But its all good, I'm loving just tooling around a planet with a vanilla buggy.

Holy gently caress, don't use a ship with the Azumuth ore detector on a planet, ~6 million hits locked up the game.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 13, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

All the easy starts and star system have the 3 types in close (relative, lol) proximity with or without infinite on, the single habitable planet one doesn't, obviously. And the small chance you can find more wandering in infinite.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that means that the planets are a pre-existing template (Earth, Mars or Alien) and then randomly altered to add mountains, valleys and flora along with biomes.

From what they where saying on the stream it sounded like the terrain maps were hand crafted and the biomes/ores are random, they will be releasing tools so people can make planets too.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It survived the drop test. Now install 500m/s speed mod and do it again. :black101:

I felt the need for something more stylish to tool around in on planets, so I revisited a old build. A new Pulsar for a new age, the Pulsar A, and the special edition Interceptor.

:perfect:

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Put the landing gear in a group and manually toggle the lock from the hot bar. I hate the way those toggles work, dock my ship hit Y to power off, yay now all the ships are off. :v: (and it doesn't even toggle solar or batts s if you got them it wont turn off when you want it off)

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Thats why I like From The Depths, its got the block building moving vehicles(but only air and sea) like SE and campaign mode where you fight other enemies. Plus it does other stuff that SE should do, like mapping controls for advanced ships, rotors that don't explode, AI, the modular gun and engine systems.

It doesn't have the deforming blocks and the UI is extreme jank but its still fun.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It seems in the latest patch they enabled the yellow debug menu on F12(and shift-F12). Most of the settings aren't to useful (as far as I can see), but messing with the time of day, planet atmosphere and lighting Is cool.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

For all that Keen/ Marek has talked up AI with GoodAi and such, SE/ME only has rudimentary ai that most games implement for granted imo. I think the spiders/cyberhounds follow the same basic commands like the drone ai; find player, goto player, atttack player or attack object/explode.

E: That kinda fits where my tension with SE is. I love SE, I got 600hrs in it by Steam, but I feel that some things are left for spectacle rather than real use, survival or creative. The Deformation/damage model for one. So many time I've tried out a fighter(my own or workshop) and 95% of the time my cockpit is killed due to a deforming block or the laser accuracy of the turrets. Same with large ships, sometimes blocks will deform into a thin line spanning blocks and insta-kill any non-deforming block in the way. Wheel have been in for a long time, with planets they really need a rework.

The mod system is broad but equally shallow, it allows some great stuff, but a lot of it is re-skins/specs of existing blocks, not anything truly game changing. Like if I wanted a multi-point thruster, deploy-able solar panel, a weapon system not like the included 2, etc its impossible.

I know they've been focusing on planets for what a year or more now and coming performance/MP fixes will be a good thing. I just hope they look back at modding and current features and fix/improve them for the SE of today and tomorrow.

Ugh, this turned into a late night rant, I got some thoughts about SE I've had for while out, ignore me if you want.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 6, 2016

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Patch notes.

Update 01.116 - Medical room modding support posted:

Summary
Greetings Engineers and Happy New Year!
In this week's update we are introducing the ability to modify the medical room and also providing a few example mods for characters and medical rooms to show the new and old possibilities. For example you can disable / enable respawning on medical room, disable / enable healing and refueling, disable / enable suit changing or restrict which models you can change into for a specific medical room. This makes it possible to create scenarios where each faction’s medical room would spawn specific models for it, for example aliens vs robots. Or you will be able to create an upgraded medical room that spawns suits with more health points.
Below you can find some example mods that we have created for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXVcsShlZQ

Features
- medical room modding support
- example mod for medical room
- example mod for character suits (different attributes)

Example Mods
- KEEN SWH Alternative Suits Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593363544
- KEEN SWH Medical Room Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595306502

Fixes
- fixed crash with rotors
- fixed crash when detonating warheads
- fixed sensor range visibility is bad in Dx11
- fixed random crash when launching the game
- fixed mods not working for planets

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Today's Update.

Update 01.117 - Roadmap, Bug-fixes posted:

Summary
For this week we prepared a roadmap highlighting the future plans for both of our games. It covers everything that will be implemented in the coming months for Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers. Follow the link to Marek’s blog for more details: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/01/the-ksh-roadmap-for-2016-space_14.html
We also released a brand new modding guide for creating mount-points in Space Engineers. Today's update also brings a new batch of bug fixes like physics crashes, sensor lag, improved gameplay experience and performance when copying and pasting objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QfBBJqojQ

Features
- Stations can now be pasted into voxels

Official Modding Guide - Mountpoints
This is the official guide for creating mount-points in Space Engineers. Mount-points determine areas where each block can be attached to another: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581270158

Fixes
- fixed paste lag
- fixed crashes in Havok
- fixed crashes with rotors
- fixed sensor lags servers
- fixed bags not despawning
- fixed oxygen not depleting after exiting cockpit/medical room
- fixed projector remembering its components in inventories
- fixed cannot paint "Passage Way" block in DX9
- fixed volume being too loud
- fixed automatic rifle particle effect size
- fixed shooting sound not synchronized

The road map seems to address the issues people have currently, but I guess it remains to be seen how much and how well things get done. If there's no more big feature adds I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I want advanced customizable controls. Like if I want my vehicle to function like a plane, with a real throttle or even helicopter style controls without having to bind overrides to the hotbar.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Hello thread! Another day and more questions!

I finally got around to rebuilding my rover. Seems that both total number of wheels, but more importantly width of the vehicle and wheelbase determines a lot about how it moves. My new one is able to zip around much more calmly without constantly wanting to flip over if I try to turn it. It's a little front heavy because I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the back half. Thought about trying to install a crane but realized it would interfere with my docking ability. Any suggestions on other stuff to do?

On the crane front. I saw a guy do that in a video as well as a trailer with hitch. Now the crane he did with rotors, pistons, hinges, and a landing gear. I just can't figure out how he was able to get the hinge to stop during its movement without tediously adjusting the degrees of tilt. No other way? Any other tips on crane building?

On the trailer and hitch thing I'm not quite sure how he was able to do it. I can't seem to find a mod that let's you do it and he wasn't using merge blocks. It was pretty neat as it was a realistic hitch he could back into, connect, drive around and it would turn with his vehicle.

If it's the crane I saw it was MovieIT script which lets you program exact rotor and piston settings among other stuff. The hitch might have been using it too, but it was a free moving rotor being detached and attached.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, it was w4stedspace, I saw him making the crane in a stream before that series started. It was MovieIT or Easy Automation.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

The live Camera feeds mod is great, it really works well. Especially with TVSI-Tech LCD Viewscreens [DX11], which is a 3x2 LCD, made my Star Trecky inspired bridge even better.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

The first thing would have to be a revamp of the damage model. As it is now an armor block can deform a bit and vaporize any non-deformable block attached to it or even a block away because it does infinite damage. Then the weapons need to be redone as well.

For new systems I think a power management system would be good, The old "Divert power to weapons/engines" kind of thing where everything can't just run at max all the time or turned off. It would be good for non-combat stuff too.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

He has seen things, terrible things.

The locking rotors/pistons is hosed, it doesn't just lock but disconnects it or something so no power, conveyors or terminal access to anything on one.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No safety like airgap safety! :pseudo: Have you tried it since the hotfix dropped?

Rotors work, but not pistons, pistons give a message "looking for specific rotor to attach" I wonder if they messed something up moving code from rotors to pistons.

At least it means Purrfect-Blinky's t-70 x-wing (who makes awesome vanilla Star Wars build) doesn't need the landing gear to lock the s-foils. But I still get drag (in space!?!) on the rotor grids, fix your game Keen! :argh:

E: I think locking the rotors does get rid of drag, I gotta test it more.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 5, 2016

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The drag comes from four rotor-mounted wings basically hanging off the ship loosely on a hinge instead of being fixed to the body. They're moving on their own independent axis during flight and it all goes a bit sideways when you make any turns due to their differing momentum :eng101:.

They shouldn't be moving at all with max torque, It's more the physics sim and wonky relation of multiple grids.

Locking the rotors does seem to work though, no more drag. I took the X-wing down to a planet and when hovering it would fall forward till it was hanging nose down, But locked it would hover level without moving.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I saw the youtube title and got excited that they replaced the entire wheels system. :negative:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Anyone tried the Nanite Control Factory mod? Looks pretty badass and most of the Youtube vids I've seen show it to be a pretty stable and helpful setup. Plus apparently the author has fixed a lot of the bugs with it.

Gonna download it later and give it a whirl.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051

Edit: Also have yet ANOTHER question. The guys who use projectors as a form of damage repair template by projecting it from the ship/station onto the ship/station itself. How do they do that? How do you setup the projector to perfectly overlay the grid it's on?

I've tried the nanite thing. It's a bit slow and the range is small, so I needed several to build a ship, but it's cool watching the ship build.

You just adjust the projected blueprint so its overlapping the ship itself. It's easier if you bind all the projector adjustments to the cockpit control bar for external view and grind off an antenna or something to help see where the projection is. Make sure "Keep Projection" is toggled and turn off the projector till you need it.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

All the planet starts are defaulted to infinite: low density, you can change it in World Generator menu for new worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

quote:

- modders can now create their own terminal interfaces (by Tyrsis)

This is big for mods. It should help with some cludgy hacks.

• Locked thread