Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
... What are the advantages to pressurizing an interior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Another thing that helps Dedicated Servers a LOT is either a) lowering the number of Floating Objects allowed (it's like the 4th or 5th entry on the right hand side of the DS startup menu) or b) Using SEToolbox (which is free and updates regularly, btw) to manually remove all the Floating objects from the server from time to time.

My friends and I have been running a DS since about October, and the sim speed (Shift+F11) usually hovers somewhere around .8 while we're playing, but once there are many Floating objects present, it bogs down to .5 or so.

But like Drake said above, we're eagerly anticipating an update to the Multiplayer code, since it's pretty terrible at the moment.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might want to stick some Maglock Blocks underneath for landing gear (the 1x1x1 blocks, not the surface pads). Connectors on their own can and will drift off at a high enough speed.

Ugh, yes they will. :( It seems the only way to reliably lock things into place for long-distance, high-speed travel is mods. At least at this point, there's nothing reliable enough in vanilla.

Do the mag-lock blocks have the same issue that landing gear do, with the dance of death and self-destruction?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Doing some quick testing, it looks like they've put some safety measures in place. If you try to Jump directly into the middle of your station (either by blind jump pointed right at it, or by GPS to a spot in the middle of it) the Jump will instead place you ~1000m safely away!

However, if you're going into a Jump with your Intertial Dampeners off, and you're not stopped, you're going to come out of the Jump still traveling. I don't know that I like that--it makes the Jump Drive as a last-ditch rescue effort kind of pointless.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Wait... gravity affects ships based on their weight? I thought gravity didn't affect ships, period, unless they had an Artificial Mass block on them?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I named my space turtle "The Zaratan." :cool:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for the inside peek at your stuff, Neddy Seagoon! :)

The DS my crew is using is pure vanilla with no mods, so seeing some of those massive gyros and thrusters is jaw-dropping. Those boosters at the back of your ship are massive!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Not even a little. I fired it up on thursday with the intent of playing for a bit, but it took 5 minutes to load (from an SSD!) and I was lucky to get 15fps. At this point I'm just waiting for an optimization-focused patch series.

I'm not sure if the people posting huge ships ITT have completely beastly computers or are just way more tolerant of terrible framerates than I am.
Try switching from DX11 back to DX9. Performance between the two seems to vary wildly.

I've got a Geforce GTX 960 and DX9 gives me 60fps no problem most of the time, but DX11 is like a slide show. Before that, when my old video card broke and I was stuck using my motherboard's onboard video for a day or two, DX9 was giving me 10-12fps, while DX11 gave me ~24. I've heard other people say DX11 is like butter for them, so your experience may be different. But try switching from one to the other, and see if that doesn't change things!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Not necessarily. From what I understand, the current netcode is cruelly inefficient.

Like, in a normal server set-up, you'd have the server tracking everything, with clients sending updates of what's around their client players, and the server keeping everyone else up to date as necessary.

But in the current netcode, from what I understand, everybody talks to everybody at all times--which is to say, when you're off at your station, you're not only telling the Server that you're welding a block, but all ten other people at their stations are getting the same information... and you're not only receiving updates from the Server, but from the ten other players as well!

Hopefully the netcode fix will make lag much less of an issue on MP DS setups, even without a rendering optimization pass.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Regarding the ~0 stacks thing, if you open it up with SEToolbox, you'll see that the stack is no longer a whole number--it's a decimal of some sort. Somehow, the game managed to put .4 of a plate somewhere, or something. Gotta be a rounding error. Eject it to space, never speak of it again.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I know there was a problem with Ore Detectors and procedurally generated asteroids on Dedicated Servers, early on, where the asteroids wouldn't actually be stored on the dedicated server until someone tapped them with a drill. I'm not sure if it's been fixed or not, but chances are if the Ore Detector isn't picking anything up, that might be why.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not to my knowledge, you gotta dial that in yourself with a spacewalk.

If your ship has an Antenna active, and you go to the Info tab and check the box to show Gravity Fields, it goes a little more smoothly... but yeah, it's a bit of a pain. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

More specifically, what used to happen with Inertial Dampening was that thrusters were able to override their normal power limits by up to ten times in order to help stop a ship. This was changed so that Inertial Dampening now obeys normal thrust limits.

If you only have one forward-pointed thruster on your ship, it no longer puts out the thrust of 10 when attempting to stop the ship; chances are you're noticing the result of that change. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I try to go as vanilla as possible*, but there's some things you just need like actual decent guns or the Conveyor Vents (seriously, the vanilla ones are an intrusive nuisance in any room).
The vanilla vents are frustrating, because whether you have them jut out of the wall half a block, or try to put them in a dent in the wall, they look out of place. There's no aesthetically pleasant way to use them!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

GotLag posted:

Ahem

(sixth picture)

Woah! Happy to be wrong. :) Neat!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

So I set up a small dedicated server to run with my friends. But the faction we make disappears when everyone disconnects, leaving the spawn point useless for the next game time. How can I set so that the faction that we made stays in the world after everyone is gone?

That's interesting. Is "Permanent Death" checked or unchecked on the server settings? Is the server saving after the faction is created?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

I still can't run SE with planets at anything approaching a reasonable FPS. I've got a GTX 760 and an i7-4771, and I'm running at 1920x1080 borderless window, so I should have enough hardware to do this. I start up the generic Quick Start scenario with no mods, and I'm at around 10FPS in the base.

Also I've had trees hanging out in midair both maps I've genned. Related somehow?

Check your Shadow quality. I was getting fps in the mid twenties trying to keep that maxed out. Turned it down to Medium and I'm at a much happier number now. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Edit: Beaten, twice. :) Nothing to see here.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

The Gravel Resource Extractor thing that was shared earlier in the thread is working out really nicely for us on our Dedicated Server. It's the first mod we've ever used, and it's really making the start a smoother experience. Be warned that it has pretty significant power draw.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I think would work is adding a full fleet of ships among the random encounters/spawns, like what you see in the new menu movies and planet trailer. Something big and dangerous that you either have to work to pick off an outlier picket ship for minor profit as the rest jump away and leave it behind, or wade in with a battleship of your own to slug it out with the big boys for their vast ammo stores and repair materials.

Slug it out for... ammo and repair materials? That's the reward?

I think what the game is missing is any sort of incentive to DO the ship combat. By the time I harvest enough resources from asteroids to make a combat-worthy ship, the resources I earn from defeating another ship are... lacking.

There's no currency, and I wouldn't want currency as a reward, but there needs to be something beyond "you save a bit of time in getting resources you'd otherwise get for free by mining asteroids" to draw me in. Maybe a resource that isn't available through mining? A component that is otherwise unavailable/unique/rare?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Madame Ovary posted:

So... I never understood how the exploration thing works. I never really found any ships or stations after that exploration update, back before planets came. Now that there are planets, I still don't know how it works, or whether any procedural generation is going on when you start a planet scenario at all.

I mean I just kinda wanna make some vehicles and sort of fly/drive around and see if I find anything interesting but I don't even know if the game actually would throw anything interesting at me.

Any wise goons out there who can explain this stuff to me?
It's entirely random. As you fly around through space, depending on the density you've chosen for your universe, asteroids will spawn periodically. You can fly near them and even use your Ore Detector to check what goods they have in them. As long as you don't interact with them (i.e. take a chunk out of them with a drill) they will despawn and not occupy memory in the server files. As soon as you ding them with a drill, they're logged in your server file and can be returned to after you log out or reset the server.

On occasion, you'll encounter a derelict ship floating out in space. Typically these ships have all their batteries turned Off or completely discharged, and their reactors generally have 0 Uranium in them. Some will be well-stocked with ammunition and goods; others will clearly be little solar space stations or observation craft. However, like the procedurally generated asteroids, you'll want to physically interact with them (i.e. grind down a block or construct an extra block of your own) in order to make them persist between sessions. Once I located a ship, added a GPS bookmark, flew aboard and took some goods from the cargo hold, and then logged out--but because I hadn't ground anything down, the next time I logged in (dedicated server) the ship was gone.

Overall there's really not anything "cool" to find insofar as you'll never obtain any resources you wouldn't otherwise get by mining or attacking the passing cargo ships. You get to see ships designed by other people, frequently with ship names or control panel names in other languages (Italian and Russian are common for me) but because they are unpiloted, unpowered, and abandonned, it's just more of a "Hey, that's neat" thing.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Batteries and solar panels are going to be your main source of power generation unless you can manage to find a uranium vein, so get acquainted with them. Generally I leave everything unchecked on the batteries (full-auto) so it both recharges and discharges at the same time. When I'm not using the vehicle I check the "recharge" so it only recharges and not discharge. Grids will always pull power from solars > batteries > reactors in this order. So don't be surprised if your batteries aren't being charged by your solars, power is probably being pulled from something else.
Also: There's currently something weird going on with thrusters. If you can, make a separate place to park your ships, disconnected from your battery grid. My small ships have been freaking out and their thrusters have been demanding as much as 5MW of power just to sit parked at a connector! That chewed through my battery stores pretty quick, and the station went dark through a long, cold night. :(

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Dusty Lens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1N5KxaWwM

This is the state of wheels at the moment. I have never managed to make them work for me in a fashion that gives me reason to prefer them over simply jetting around.

This is neat. Thanks for sharing! :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Truga posted:

You can have 6 planets + infinite asteroids.

Anyone else have the problem of assemblers constantly getting stuck after running out of juice/materials? Every time the internal inventory lacks enough poo poo to build an item, it gets stuck even if less than a second later it pulls shitloads of crap from the conveyor. This is annoying when building tens of thousands of steel plates....
Yes. Assemblers aren't drawing power correctly from batteries, if I understand correctly, and batteries themselves have myriad issues with how they interact with solar at the moment.

I can't play at all this week because anytime anyone modifies a voxel on our Dedicated Server the whole thing goes belly up. :( Waiting for Thursday patch/Friday hotfix.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm making automated airlocks since I cannot click any control panel from that jump drive bug :argh:. For my set up I have a sensor and four timer blocks per sliding door and a vent in the airlock.

From the outside:
Sensor 1 -> Depressurize the vent and start timer 1,
Timer 1 -> Start timer 2, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and open the outer sliding door,
Timer 2 -> Start timer 3, close the outer door, turn the depressurize off,
Timer 3 -> Start timer 4, open the inner door,
Timer 4 -> Close the inner door, turn the inner sensor and outer sensor on.

From the inside:
Sensor 2 -> Start timer 5 and open the inner door,
Timer 5-> Start timer 6, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and depressurize the vent,
Timer 6 -> Start timer 7, close the inner door,
Timer 7 -> Start timer 8, open the outer door,
Timer 8 -> Close the outer door, turn the outer sensor and inner sensor on, turn the vent depressurize off.

Is there any way to optimize that to use less timer blocks or sensors? The basic idea is depressurize -> open the outer door -> close the outer door -> repressurize -> open the inner door -> close the inner door. I have the sensor shut off to prevent both sequences happening at the same time and depressurizing the room.

I believe that Air Vents have a setup panel on them now, akin to a sensor. It's not well documented, but I think the left box is for "When things are Pressurized" and the right box is "When things are depressurized." That might streamline things, depending on where you put sensors on your doors!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Apparently many people on the forums have had wheeled vehicles fall through the planet randomly, which sounds very frustrating.

Haven't had anything like that on my Dedicated Server, but the wheels themselves seem to have extremely poor purchase on voxels, making parking them on hillsides/slopes is impossible, regardless of what settings we try.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I thought some people were reporting random deletion of their railway tracks after they got over 400 blocks long? Maybe that issue was fixed a few patches ago. I recall shortly after Planets became a thing, some players were reporting odd deletions of their works in progress.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently structures on a planets surface will revert to physics enabled if you happen to remove the last block tying it to the ground. Apparently this means in practice that your structure will launch itself to the stratosphere and then come crashing back down.

I did that with the first wheeled vehicle I made on a planet's surface: made the mistake of Ctrl+clicking the slider to adjust Strength of the suspension, and when it updated from 0 to 100 (whoops lol) the vehicle sling-shotted into the air, cratering spectacularly. :haw:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Firos posted:

Solar panels are extremely picky about when they charge batteries. It is extremely frustrating when you're on a planet.
Batteries, as they are currently, have a neutral state that attempts to adapt to the current grid situation. That is to say, if there is an overall surplus of power, the batteries will charge, and if there is an overall deficiency, the batteries will discharge to fill the gap.

So let's say I've got a grid with ten solar panels, a small reactor, a refinery, and an assembler. During the night, the solar panels are getting no juice, so the batteries must drain to power the refinery and assembler. If the batteries run out of juice, the small reactor steps in to make up the difference. As the sun comes up, in theory, the batteries should output less and less power until equilibrium is reached, and once the sun is up enough, the solar panels should put out enough power to fuel the production blocks AND recharge the batteries. The small reactor should only provide power in instances where the batteries are completely depleted.

But what ends up happening is that the switch isn't made fluidly. If the solar panels aren't putting out enough juice, rather than drain the batteries first, the small reactor works overtime, burning through precious uranium to charge the batteries to full. This is especially annoying because reactors only charge batteries at 80% efficiency, meaning they're chugging through extra uranium that wouldn't otherwise be required.

I think the interaction between batteries and reactors needs to be tweaked. As it is, you kind of have to manually operate both to ensure resources aren't wasted.

Edit: and that doesn't even account for the "solar panel glitch," where solar panels on a separate grid (like a rotating arm to track the sun) don't transfer their power to attached grids reliably.

Edit2: My brain took a poo poo here, and I used "refinery" in place of "small reactor" several times, making the post even more incomprehensible than it currently is. Apologies.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2016

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

HardDisk posted:

I think your brain took a poo poo here.

It absolutely did. I'm sorry. I used "refinery" where I should have used "small reactor" several times. The post has been edited.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2016

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

GotLag posted:

I need to learn how to model for this game. I've made another lovely mod, this time one that processes gravel into useful ores:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598415416

I'm already using the Gravel Resources Extractor. It looks like your resource per gravel is more generous, though!
Looking forward to your custom model. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Slap a connector on the ship, and build a connector on a piston attached to a rotor and futz it into position? Or just slap a few atmospheric thrusters on the ship and scoot it into place?

Edit: Evilreaver's idea is probably the best. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love those utilitarian safety pipes on everything :allears:.

Anyone know if its possible to somehow set the Blink settings on interior lights to a slow pulse instead of a hard on/off?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Anything is possible with the stupid Programming Block, if you're willing to invest some time into making it work. :downs:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I mean, in theory, if you're going to use a Programming Block to make the lights pulse slowly, adding another line or two of code to make the colors shift shouldn't be difficult.

There are a lot of things that are technically possible with Programming Blocks, if you're willing to invest the time. Personally, I dislike them. I find it incredibly frustrating that the answer to "can I do X?" is "Yes, with a PB." :(

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Zodack posted:

Anybody fool around with Scrap Mechanic on Steam? Those are some rotor mechanics I can get behind, let me tell you.

On the other hand I constantly find myself wishing it had any semblance of Space Engineer's copy/paste/blueprint ability. Too handy when building stuff.
Agreed. Even a simple "Mass Delete" would be nice in Scrap Mechanic. Lots of neat stuff there, with room for more! :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Level 3 grinder should only be used in creative where you don't care if you mess something way up.
Or if you've found a derelict ship and want to grind it down for its component parts!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Edit: New page. Previous poster asked "How do I fix 'Overload' warnings on my ship?"

More power! Either add more Reactors (with Uranium) to power the thing, or slap additional Batteries on (and make sure they have a chance to charge).

I've had bad luck building crafts with solar panels and batteries--if you decide to go this route, make sure you manually put the batteries in Discharge mode before flight. I encountered a problem where batteries would switch from discharging to recharging if both options were unchecked, which led to a few unplanned landings.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually you should just be disabling Recharge. That way they charge AND discharge depending on available external power.
I'm confused. If both Recharge and Discharge are unchecked, the battery should attempt to do both, depending on available external power, as you say. The only way I know of to disable Recharge is by manually checking Discharge, as I advised in my post. What am I missing? :\

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Right. The issue I experienced was when I had both Recharge and Discharge unchecked, the batteries would provide inconsistent power, because the shift in power demand would fluctuate when I fired my atmospheric thrusters. This inconsistent power meant my ship stopped getting thrust unpredictably--and the solution I found was to check Discharge, so the batteries would not attempt to Recharge at all while I was flying.

I think we're saying the same thing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

In my experience, gyroscopes make ground vehicles MUCH easier to steer.

• Locked thread