Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reveilled posted:

-Sunset Invasion is an alt-history DLC where the Aztecs invade Europe. Its somewhat tongue-in-cheek and serves as a Mongol Invasion for the west (i.e. hundreds of thousands of angry Aztecs land in Spain and wreck everyone's day).

I'm pretty sure that the most important thing about Sunset Invasion is that it made people lose their god damned minds. Where's that quote about never being able to trust again or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reveilled posted:

Good point, added. In terms of beginner starts, I'm not really sure what's easy any more, now that the go-to suggestion of "just start in Ireland" doesn't hold true any more.

If you want a basic catholic start to learn the foundations of the game, 1066 Leon is pretty good. You have claims on Castile and Galicia. Muslims to the south for easy casus belli. A long term goal of forming the empire of hispania. No chance of the mongols reaching you and messing things up while you are trying to learn the game.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I doesn't really teach you anything. It'd be like loading up an end game save of another game with all the powers unlocked already and saying "here, learn from this". Its fun, but not useful.

Sure it does. For one thing it teaches you that tengri is like the most boring religion ever. :v:

Unless you get really unlucky you can easily take most of bulgaria before running out of event troops. You can probably even take the rest of de jure hungary, which is good to do because your next wave of event troops depends on how much of de jure hungary you control when you form hungary. You'll probably go over your demesne limit, and maybe over your vassal limit as well, so you figure out how to fix that and then live with the vassals you chose.

At this point you really need to think about what is going to happen when you die, especially if you're still playing the old man you started with. You either have or are close to having a second king level title by now, and even if you don't form the title it will be formed and handed out to one of your heirs when you die. It's worthwhile to grab a second kingdom and form the empire of carpathia, at which point you are fairly safe from everything going completely to poo poo when you die.

Now what? You can start raiding, but to get to the best spots you'll need boats and you have hardly any coastal provinces. You can try to expand, going east takes you to huge poor provinces that take forever to walk across. Going west takes you to smaller wealthier provinces that are controlled by the catholic hordes. South is the byzantines. North is a variety of disorganized pagans in territory that has a lot of potential, but will take you closer to the norse who will raid your poo poo. Maybe you want to change religion. Maybe you want to reform a pagan religion. Maybe you try forming a merchant republic cash cow in one of your few coastal cities.

Once you from hungary/carpathia you have a lot of options. A lot of opportunities and no clear best course of action. That's a great learning opportunity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grats on winning the thread civil war. All hail new thread!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moon Slayer posted:

Trip report: Magyar start has been pretty fun. It took me a few false starts to get the hang of the invasion mechanic (hint: you only need to occupy the primary holding in a county to take over the whole thing when you win) but once I did it was pretty easy to reduce Bulgaria to a rump buffer state between me and the Byzantines. A few pagan invasions of weaker neighbors then a strategic conversion to Catholicism and some holy wars let me form Carpathia by 885.

Only downside is that I'm stuck on gavelkind until I can get crown authority up to high. Since I'm an Empire nothing will leave the realm, but I'm going to need to keep some family members celibate for a while, I think. Also I was kind of hoping not to go Christian since I've played them a bunch but then I saw that the Tengri holy sites were on the edge of the map and that they had absolutely no unique mechanics or even flavor text.

I've had pretty good luck betrothing my extra sons to babies. Every few years break the engagement and betrothe him to a new baby. That way whenever you die you'll have at least 10 years before your brothers can start producing legitimate heirs. As a plus they'll be betrothed to people that won't give them a great alliance to use against you later.

I suppose Way of Life could mess that up if one of them takes the seduction focus and produces piles of bastards, but the AI doesn't seem keen on legitimising bastards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are you locked into Seniority Succession now as a republic? Not for Doge, but for your patrician. I could have sworn I'd had Tanistry or Elective before, but now there doesn't even seem to be an option to change succession. Stabbing your way through a bunch of old men to get to a good heir is such a hassle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Torrannor posted:

In vanilla CK2, patricians were always limited to seniority succession. But you have the "designated heir" honorary title. Whoever has this title will inherit upon your death, even if he is just 16 years old (the minimum age for honorary titles).

Oh, right, that was it. Thanks!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can seize land if you want it (Trade republics have two unique CBs - one that lets you take control of a city in a province where you have a trade post, and one that lets you take the whole county if you control a city there), but your main source of income is going to be from trade posts, and for those you're going to need a lot of unlanded male dynasty members in your court. So your priorities should be:

1) Build trade posts
2) Arrange marriages for as many male dynasty members as you can (so they can have sons which will allow you to do more of 1), don't give them landed titles.
3) Win elections, which should be fairly trivial since you'll have more than enough money from trade posts alone.
4) Build more cities in your capital county if you have room.
5) Seize other counties, build cities or baronies there.

5 is more or less optional - Republics CAN be played as a big empire, but unlike Feudal realms, don't really HAVE to. You can continue to increase your income without acquiring more land, and you can hire mercenaries to serve as your military protection. Hell you'll probably be making enough money that you can just keep mercenaries around as a standing army. Your estate provides a pretty decent amount of troops on its own, too. Also, if you've got the Legacy of Rome DLC, Merchant Republics can get a lot of retinue points by building garrisons at your trade posts.

If you have Way of Life having your first guy take the Seduction focus can be good too. If you invite a lot of debutants you can breed an army of sons (don't bother to legitimise the daughters, they can't inherit in a republic so just acknowledging them is enough). Your wife will hate you and you'll get tagged as a poxy adulterous cradle-robber, but as long as you stick to unmarried women it isn't too much of an opinion hit.

If you can get a bunch of sons that should be self-sustaining in future generations, so your subsequent dudes can focus on other things. Your sons are all pretty mad about being locked into Seniority Succession, so in the long run a bunch of sons isn't as good as a bunch of more distant Kinsmen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Keeper Garrett posted:

Is going from Tribal Norway (mostly southern and central norway with some friendly relatives holding the north) to Merchant republic Norway going to get me killed? I think I am a long way off from doing this since I'll need to reform my Germanic religion.

Probably not. The main problem is that most of your troops evaporate and you don't start making bank right away, so you are vulnerable for a few years. Try to save as much gold as you can ahead of time, and marry/betrothe your kids into every possible family nearby so you have lots and lots of nearby allies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jethro_E7 posted:

I tried a Muslim Republic once I established Shia Caliphate. But I could only build two trade posts and did not seem to have the capital building that I expected (the special one for republics).

Any ideas on what I am missing?

The special building isn't in the capital, it is in the republic tab. That way if you lose the Doge election and so lose control of the capital you don't lose your Family Palace.

Only being able to build 2 trade posts is pretty normal for a new merchant republic. To get more you need to either have a bunch of unlanded adult male family members in your court, increase the Trade Practices technology, and/or upgrade your family palace.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chaotic Flame posted:

I still haven't really grasped the inviting claimants to court since most people don't want to come to my court. And don't they have to be your vassal for their claim to become part of your territory?

If you check the titles themselves, one of the buttons is claimants, and it will have a convenient thumbs up for anyone willing to come on over. Useful if you want to target particular titles nearby.

Remember that married couples always travel as a pair, so if the person you want won't come check to see if their spouse will. If they aren't married, try marrying them to someone who will like you more than their new liege. If you have the seduction focus you can try to seduce the claimant or their spouse, your lovers will usually accept an invitation (though that gets messy).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eric the Mauve posted:

If he's of your dynasty you also get Kinslayer for executing him. For murdering your wife. :psyduck:

But not if you become germanic and just let him get sacrificed at the great blot. Great blot is pretty great, free killing of the 4 biggest pains in your rear end every 9 years.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dallan Invictus posted:

Otherwise I really do not care about Random Insignificant Jackass A plotting to murder Random Insignificant Jackass B.

Lunatics and possessed are often plotting against someone, so if they are plotting against someone I don't care about all the better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Werewolves? There goes realism. The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The best part of infidelity is when dudes who have been castrated don't get suspicious when their wives turn up years later. One of my sons returned from the vargarian guard blind and castrated. I wasn't going to let his genius wife go to waste. Neither my son nor anyone else at court thinks it is odd that his wife is having babies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or a way to come out and say "HEY, THIS IS MY KID" or "HEY, THIS IS NOT MY SPOUSE'S KID."

Though there would be some chaos if your bastard inherited his not-dad's titles when not-dad died and then you said "hey, he's my kid."

Presumably a landed noble could tell you to go piss up a rope if you question his parentage. It might get an opinion malus similar to the vile rumors, which might be just enough to tip the scales if he is in danger from a faction or plot already. But mostly once a competent guy has a realm under control it isn't all going to fall apart because someone claims he is a secret bastard.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

It wouldn't be to make the realm fall apart, at least in my envisioning - it would be a way to make it under your dynasty's rule.

You just called my mom a whore and my dad a fool? Sure I'll swear fealty to you right away!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it just me, or is the ruler ribbon for republics violently tangerine? That is super distracting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there a way to ransom my indirect vassal son from my direct vassal granddaughter. He's been in prison for like 15 years and I'd really like him to not die in prison.

If you take the intrigue focus you might be able to scheme him out?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Groogy posted:

He's a damned corpse? How is he supposed to successfully defend himself?

Surprise witness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Isn't subjugating a kingdom a once per lifetime thing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheMcD posted:

Seduction really is FUBAR. It needs a complete rework or needs to be lobotomized. If you're on a first name basis with the Pope because you drop by every year or so to get a divorce because your wife is once again loving somebody else behind your back just like the other X-1 wives before her, something has gone wrong.

No, it's fine. Someone just has to invent the chastity belt a few hundred years early. Let you secure your wives and daughters for a -10 opinion malus.

Hmm, make that -20.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nopantsjack posted:

Haha these things are great, you can imagine people being like "Hmmm, I reckon we can still manage it, lets chance it but go slowly,"

e: the people who made it don't seem to know where a vagina goes but thats not surprising

The hole is for peeing, not sexing, so it's in the right spot. Reading up on them apparently they used to have cloth padding on the inside too, so she wouldn't be getting poked by the pointy bits all the time. Still looks like it would be drat uncomfortable for sitting in though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

catlord posted:

God drat it, I tried to make some independent gently caress in the middle of France a tributary, and then when I made it to like, 80% I keeled over and died. Ok, my guy was old, that's disappointing but not horribly unexpected. Then after I had some time to regroup as my new guy, did some stuff, and tried again, and at around 78% I keeled over and died at like, 43.

I think that Independant guy may be a wizard. You should leave him alone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kingturnip posted:

I just had a syphilitic, lunatic leper take 3rd place in the Grand Tournament.
That makes a wonderful mental image.

Everybody teamed against him just conceded to avoid touch him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Demon_Corsair posted:

Holy poo poo really?

I thought that bribing any random maybe on that list was the only way to get a plot going.

So I can just browse to random vassels of my target and ask them to join my plot?

This will make taking over Scotland one county at a time from the petty king of moray not take generations!

If you are close to 100% sometimes get a couple more plotters through marriage too. The target court should have a few single courtiers who wish to get married. If you have some single ladies you can offer to have them marry those courtiers, and the AI will usually agree because it doesn't care about courtiers.

It gets a bit tricky acquiring the right kind of women to marry off though. It helps to have traits that make you popular with the ladies.

- Often the single courtiers are lowborn, so the ladies in your marriage pool need to be lowborn too or the marriage will be impossible.
- The lady needs to have the right kind of traits to make her amenable to plotting. A kind, pious woman won't help you kill people. A woman with low intrigue won't be much use.
- It helps if she likes you. Remember that her opinion when you aren't her liege can be different than when you are. An ambitious woman gets a penalty with her liege, so she may not like you much when she's in your court, but that penalty will apply to her new liege once you marry her off.

Just remember that a pool of marriageable vipers is dangerous to keep around. The traits that make them likely to join your plots once in the target court will also make them likely to join plots against you while they are in your court. Keep an eye on them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreudianSlippers posted:

As a one legged person I can confirm that this is highly accurate.

21st century one legged is different. You don't need to rely on Hodor to carry you around to do anything. Probably. No offence meant if you have a Hodor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of course I have a Hodor. What sort of peasant doesn't have a big burly simpleton to carry them around?

That being said there was such as prosthetic legs in the medieval period. For example Grettir's Saga, which was written in the 13th century but takes place in the viking age and is probably loosely based on real people and events, partly revolves around Grettir's great-grandfather a man called Önundur "Tréfótur" or "Tree-leg". Önundur lost his leg in the battle of Hafrsfjord sometime around 870 fighting against Harald the Fairhair. He is described as being "the bravest and most agile one legged man in Iceland. which granted isn't saying a lot but it still indicates that prosthetic limbs were well known to medieval people, even in the desolate backwater that was medieval Iceland.

Archaeologists have also found the remains of prosthetic dating back to Imperial Rome, Shang Dynasty China and Ancient Egypt.

It would probably depend on how much leg you had left. If it's an amputation below the knee then you basically have one and a half legs, and a basic balancing prosthetic can be made from wood and leather.

Above the knee can be a much trickier proposition. As I understand it, making a good fake knee joint is hard. A solid peg leg is possible with primitive materials, but it is going to be heavy, painful, and unwieldy. You wouldn't be able to crouch or kneel. And a big ol' peg leg that might be okay for walking will look ridiculous on horseback. I've never used a prosthetic, but I imagine one made of solid wood would be a lot like a full leg cast, and those are inconvenient as all get out. I can imagine a lot of people deciding to stop being active and instead turn to more sedentary pursuits.

More than the sheer inconvenience though would be the trauma, assuming it happened as an adult. A man going through a crippling injury may well think things like "I am not a real man now" "what do I have to live for?" "What is my purpose in life?" "Why me?" and so on. The months of physical recovery will likely be accompanied by a lot of contemplation and philosophising. (Of course that would be equally true for other life-changing injuries, especially eunuch.)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of course the reason I know this is because I have 1+ learning.
A-ha!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol he gave you loving mercury.

Yeah, but he drank it, he didn't breath the vapors. You won't absorb much just from drinking it once. The doctor can probably salvage most of it from your chamber pot later.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SeaTard posted:

That has to be a mod, because that font looks like complete rear end.

If your rear end looks like that font please see your court physician as soon as possible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tomn posted:

So, pick the seduction focus and infiltrate the harem?

I've never tried it, but if you have control of the right sort of women you may be able to offer marriages to make sure all his relatives have the maximum number of wives.

Back when you could invite women to court and they'd drag their husbands along I snagged a bunch of Jewish advisors but offering random women in marriage. But that was easier because a non-jewish lord doesn't care who a jew marries, or if he marries at all. Arranging marriages with members of the Caliph's linage, even landless third cousins, is probably tough unless you have some muslim women to offer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is a sale and the op hasn't been updated since 2015, but all the DLC I don't have yet has come out since 2015. :argh: With some expansions you get some of the stuff just because, and other stuff only if you buy the expansions. But which expansions to buy?

Horse Lords: Silk road, tributaries, nomads
Concave: Dukes become bigger assholes, education changes, diplomacy changes
The Reaper's Due: Disease and . . . pets?
Monks and Mystics: Societies and artifacts
Jade Dragon: More silk road, dealing with distant china. Most expensive since it's new, probably won't get this one yet.

If you were only going to get one or two of these, which would you say adds the most content to most games?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up conclave and reaper's due, and now everyone has small pox. A++

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Walton Simons posted:

Going Feudal could be interesting. The climate has changed a bit since my last post. Magyar is collapsing, they were suffering before but their king died in battle vs Khazaria so they now have a long regency to endure and the Byzantines along with Khazaria are just eating them up so I'm not feeling too secure from the south.

I really need to start raiding to get cash for the buildings I need to go Feudal but I'm rarely at peace as I keep getting called into defensive war vs Germanic pagans from the west by Bohemia and Pannonia, with Croatia and Saxony getting the better of them. Greater Poland is basically gone due to Saxon expansion. I wouldn't bother with alliances but having neighbours like Khazaria and the Byzantines with Holy War CB makes me pretty twitchy. It's a really interesting setup anyway.

My first character finally died of the Great Pox aged 62 so I'm now his 41 year old son who is also a Syphilitic lunatic. I didn't realise Lithuania was a kingdom and that's gone to my brother, it'll be very, very easy to take, though, especially given that I seem to have avoided any challenge to my throne. I've also inherited an almost-won war for some Magyar territory . My plan is to regain the land I lost, either fight in the west or wait for peace if it's a losing battle and raid when possible. Who should I be raiding, though? The Byzantines will be rich but I don't really want to piss off anyone much bigger than me.

Does your 41 year old syphilitic lunatic have any kids, or is your brother your heir? If the latter, the easiest way to reunite the kingdoms might be to piss everyone off until they assassinate you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chakan posted:

Probably because those are two different things.

Yes, that's the point. It's nice that the game acknowledges that. Gays exist! :toot:

Though it can have some unintended consequences. Lesbians make some of the best wives because they can't be seduced by the court tomcat and turn into poxy embarrassments. The don't seem to produce substantially fewer children either, they are down with doing their reproductive duty, but any extra curricular activities need to be with other lesbians.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're only good if you're worried with gavelkind about producing heirs. If you've got primogeniture or you're trying to do some inheritance shenanigans, a lesbian wife or a gay ruler can ruin everything.

Although really, most plants are hermaphroditic, so it shouldn't make a difference.

I don't have a huge sample size, but my lesbian wives all produced 3 or 4 kids. :shrug: Like RL history homosexuals they seem to understand that dynasty is important. Marrying someone you actually find attractive is a peasant luxury, nobles get what they get.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gin_Rummy posted:

Oh yeah, my vassals loathe me.

That's a big part of your problem then. Vassals that love you don't join factions. Sometimes just sending gifts is enough to make marginal vassals drop out of factions, but if they hate you it is probably too late for that.

One way out when everyone hates you is to arrest everyone. One at a time, of course, starting with the guys you have valid cause to arrest. You'll rack up tyranny, but since everyone already hates you that won't matter. Aim to arrest all the dukes and any count with more than one holding (or all the counts). Once they are in prison they can't do much as long as you never let them out. By the time their heirs inherit you won't be a new ruler and most of the tyranny will have run out the clock.

Or once they are under arrest you can revoke all or most of their titles. This leaves you with a huge pile of titles and tyranny that make everyone left hate you. Hand out those titles to people who don't hate you, people who weren't in court when you did the bad things. You can invite randoms from other places, but I prefer to create new men using the "invite holy man" decision for 25 piety -- they mostly suck but they are all your own religion and culture, which is nice. (Inviting commanders and noblemen cost gold, holy men only cost piety.) Nobody gets more than 1 county holding, even the dukes. If you are keeping any old counts around, make sure you transfer their vassalage to one of the new dukes -- they still hate you, but you aren't their direct liege anymore and they don't hate their new liege. All your new low-power vassals love you, because you gave them a title. It will take a couple generations for any of the new guys to accumulate enough power to be troublesome.

What to do with the old guys is tricky. If you kill/banish them their heirs may come back to haunt you as adventurers. You can leave them in prison with a single county, and then transfer vassalage of that county to one of your new dukes. The count will hate you for the rest of his life, but he is toothless in prison and you aren't his direct liege anymore anyway. If you are ever desperate for cash you can ransom them for 70 gold a pop. His sons will hang around their courts hating you, but only one of them will ever get a title, so they aren't a rebellion threat. However, they may join plots to kill you and your heirs, so having them around isn't completely safe either.

Works okay, you just have to be careful to do all your tyranny stuff before you invite the new guys, so they don't start with a tyranny malus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kill your wife, marry an old lady. There are often genius widows over 45 with great stats just hanging around waiting to die. If you still manage to father more children, then I regret to inform you that you have been cursed with a magic dick.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

An armed navy is a completely different thing from the transport boats you can raise at the drop of a hat. Obviously those boats don't just poof into existence, you are commandeering existing boats. Fish boats, merchant ships, pleasure yachts, every single boat in town that is sea worthy. So the maintenance cost is high not just because of the physical maintenance of the ship and crew, but due to the lost productivity of having the fishing fleet transporting soldiers instead of fishing.

A proper Navy would be more like retinues. You pay big money to build them, and then more money to keep them functional. They are there all the time, costing money all the time. You can't just decide you want a fleet of hundreds of warships one day, once you pay the creation cost it will take years for them to build up to full strength.

Honestly I like the lack of navel combat. Navel combat is it's own big thing. In the 20th century we're all about sinking the other guy's ships, but navel artillery doesn't become a thing until (checks wiki) 1571. So in the CK time you'd mostly be looking at ramming and boarding actions. You could end a battle with more ships than you started with. That would be super complicated to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randarkman posted:

Basically at no point in time were armies transported by fishing boats. Hell it took a long time and lots of work in the Middle Ages to make a ship capable of effectively transporting horses in any significant number (they refined it to the point that a cavalryman could basically charge into battle right off the ship) across the Mediterranean.
Right, but given the mechanics of levies in the game, that's what they must be. You simply can't whip up transport ships in an afternoon and then disband them when you're done, and then call them back a few months later. They must be civilian ships that have been commandeered into service temporarily.

Just like soldier levies must be mostly farmers and other workers who have normal jobs, but can be handed a weapon and pressed into service in emergencies. Building an archery range may give you the ability to raise 30 archers, but it certainly doesn't have the maintenance cost to represent supporting 30 full time soldiers and their families -- those are 30 dudes who have a regular job, but also drill in archery.

A navel retinue would be closer to real life history.

Randarkman posted:

I definitely would like naval transport to be a bit more complicated in a potential new CK3, or at the very least more significant and something not everyone will be able to do, unless we are talking about just crossing smaller bodies of water on a short transit (in which case we are talking about just commandering wahtever ships and river barges could be found ), which could be represented by being able to cross over at certain points on the map provided there is not a actual enemy navy contesting the crossing. The fact that if you wanted to bring an army to the Holy Land meant you absolutely had to make a deal with Genoa, Venice or Pisa is an important fact of Medieval history, and basically one of the main reasons driving the Fourth Crusade to Constantinople, and one I would like to see represented.

EU4 already has being able to capture ships in combat, naval combat in that isn't perfect by any means, but it's fine and simple enough.

Okay, but what would be the gameplay effect of that? Island nations would live in splendid isolation, I guess. Or even more little red dash marks to show it is possible to cross from this island to that one to the mainland without a proper navy? That might make it possible to march from Ireland to Jerusalem without worrying about shipping at all. The Fatmids certainly won't bother interdicting the Straight of Dover in most games.

Logistics management can be a fun game, but it's mostly been kept very abstract in this game. Like only needing to worry about the supply limit, not worry about actually managing and protecting your supply trains. Complex navy would be like having to manage supply trains for extended campaigns, to make sure your men had enough replacement gear, lest your Long-bowmen spontaneously become light footmen when they run out of ammo a 3 month march from home.

• Locked thread