Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hungary/Magyar 867. Starts tribal with a bunch of event troops, so you can toy around with tribal mechanics. It's also super easy to become feudal because you just win your invasion against Bulgaria and use the form Hungary decision in the intrigue menu. Nobody can gently caress with you there and it's something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

had an interesting game so far, my 30 martial 16 health irish germanic count won a 30 year prepared invasion war against the byzantines, at which point I swore fealty to the remnants and was promptly elected emperor. That guy lived to the ripe age of 110, and reformed the norse faith, now my family is greek and the main norse world is the mediterranean. My question is, to reform the roman empire you have to have blah blah provinces and also be orthodox. However I'm aiming for a true, pagan roman empire.

Can I convert to orthodox, reform the empire, and then switch back? Will I lose the fylkirate by doing so? I wouldn't particularly mind losing it, so long as other rulers actually join the great holy wars. I've declared one so far, which I won by myself as no germanic rulers hopped in.

I did a bunch of tests on this because I'm planning on doing this as a pagan republic in an ironman game, although I'm still getting jerked around by the republic merging glitch. Yes and almost certainly yes. I didn't actually check to see if the fylkirate dissolves when someone of an organized religion holds it, but I would bet money that it will. There's ways to do it on ironman, but it's an exploit and really gamey, and there's really no point in dealing with it if you don't have to because it doesn't flow at all. If I was you, I would wait until your current ruler is old enough that you're aloof to him dying, then pause the game, and grant the fylkirate to your heir through the diplomacy menu. Then console your religion to orthodox, console any prestige/piety/gold he'll need to form the Roman Empire (shouldn't be much if any if he's been an emperor and a fylkir for a long time), then form it and kill yourself so your heir inherits. Then you should be good. Just in case you don't know any of the console commands you'll need

"charinfo" will let you see a characters ID number when you hover over their portrait

"religion orthodox" or "religion orthodox <charid>" will change your current characters religion to orthodox. you can also use iconoclast or whatever orthodox heresy. The console can get a bit touchy sometimes.

"piety x" "prestige x" "cash x" where x is the amount of piety/prestige/gold you want to add

"kill <charid>"

Then you should be golden. The Augustus and Born in the Purple traits will continue to work as designed, but you won't have access to the imperial reconquest CB, although you should still have the events pop up when you do restore a Roman provinces borders. The bigger issue is that the Pope has already probably hosed up Rome really bad by filling it with temples, so it's probably useless as a capitol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The Byzantines and Abbasids both become unstoppable blobs that slowly grind each other down in that start. My first start in that timeline I recall the Abbasids eating both Seljuk and the Mongols.

There was a patch that dealt with this, so it works a little differently now. The Umayyad collapse more often than not, and the Caliphate switches families by 1100, usually with the empire breaking into a billion pieces. Byzantines are stable as ever though. Not much you can do about that. They start with the highest tech and imperial administration in 769. It's OP as gently caress. CM is my favorite start, personally. If you like republics, there's a million options.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 12, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Doing a vassal run for the Byzantines or a Muslim blob is fun. You could also try my white whale and create the republic of Crimea in Oleshye with the Magyar in 769. I got sooo close one time but I got greedy and bought trade posts instead of a military warehouse 2, and sure enough someone holy warred me for Crimea immediately after. It's an absolute bitch to get established there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's Old Gods that lets you play as tribals isn't it?

I know I can play tribal just fine and don't have Charlemagne. It's either an Old Gods thing or an automatic thing that came with a patch.

Pretty sure. Pagans are pagans. CM just introduced the tribal mechanics.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see what I can do with no poo poo horde culture available in 769. :allears:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the Mongol DLC going to have a genocide mechanic? Or are they just going to white wash that stuff?

this is very important to me. also republics are the funnest government in the game imo and lol if you have the dlc and haven't tried it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Gonna take a wild guess and say that Paradox will never explicitly model genocide, ever.

They model concubine rape. It's just lame that there's no functional differences between de jure wars where it's like sorry, gotta do what I gotta do, and wars where I'm facing a nation I absolutely despise for whatever reason and want to burn it down so bad they'll be talking about it 1,000 years from now.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Other people had answered but they didn't really go in depth I felt, so I hope this explains comprehensively why the combination is so potent. Tbh, aside from a modified feast, the mongols don't really offer anything the other altaics don't already have, so you can pick any of them, from Avar, Khazar to Bolghar to Turkish or Kirghiz.

I'm about 95% sure that in order to have the tribal invasion CB without horde culture, you have to be pagan. The only cultures that can have the invasion CB as a Jain are the hordes, Nahua and Mongol, who's restriction is only that they can't be Christian.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^You want all the sons and all the kinsmen. All of them, always.

Waroduce posted:

Is there like a newbie guide/ poo poo you should know list anywhere before playing? Ive never played a game like this and am kinda lost

look up arumba's youtube tutorial.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One other thing is that republics and sons of Abraham go hand in hand. I played republics before I had retinues and it can be done, but republics are so dependent on them that you're missing out on so much if you don't have them. If you're going to buy republic, buy SoA too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Goofballs posted:

I have legacy but it never got to that point for me, I had the HRE kicking my poo poo in within the first 20 years. I think it was just bad luck.

I've never really understood how the battles play out or how the interface for it works. I just stack men and split them if I think the attrition is going to kick in.

If you have old gods you should try a Norse Germanic republic. They're stupid overpowered. I started a tutorial LP in the LP thread that I really need to continue sometime that shows the basics of what you'd need to do. A year or so ago I played a game as svipjod where I ended up loving with India and I've been in love with republics ever since. I still play feudal sometimes but republics are my go-to government.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's best if you convert to Hungarian culture. Then you get the invasion CB, plus all your viking mechanics. :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Avernus posted:

I'm doing something like this in the earliest stat date by being Venice and sending all my kids to be educated in Danmark. This is great because if they convert not only to paganism but Norse culture as well, they come home with names like Giovanni Giovannisson. As of the Viking era, no pagans will take my next generation but I have enough pagan kin to keep it up in-house. The first of the Venitian Norse Pagan generation has just been elected Prince Mayor, and the pope (my Prince Mayor's uncle) hates us. A pagan dynasty member is already the Godi of Rialto and conversion is well under way.

In other words, I'm now playing a viking Venice that's about to get it's poo poo pushed in by all of Christendom.

The thing I love about doing it that way is the unreformed Germanic retinue bonus. I started in Catholic Ireland once and became a republic as a Catholic, then became the fylkir. When I reformed the faith, the retinue cap dropped from like 21k to 16k. It's a huge bonus. It'd be interesting to try and do it without ever reforming the faith, but I'd imagine once you'd expanded a bunch you'd get some seriously wicked revolts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

I thought we had settled on a mix of infantries backing a core of just under 60% archers? Wouldn't want to give your opponent the chance to automatically trigger melee with a Charge on undefended flank.

yeah basically

http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/2lhyzv/optimum_retinue_calculations_in_2205

really though, so long as you have a majority archer retinue with a bunch of heavies, lights, and pikes, it's going to be able to wreck anything the ai will throw at you. i like to add in cav too because they're really strong, if not optimal cap usage. you can min/max further than that if it's fun for you, but it's not necessary to build a really strong army. i can even toss in like 1/6 or so of that 400 LI 150 archers for 550 cap (or whatever it is) retinue to boost my numbers for sieging, and my guys still go 300 on bigger stacks all the time. it might not even be that much. i think in my rome game i've got a 30k strong retinue with maybe 4k LI.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 17, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol i'm so deep into republics i didn't even remember that retinues are just a supplement for most players and not the only army they use most the time.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 17, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Goofballs posted:

I never bothered much with the raiding stuff as the norse, how does that work? Your turn on the red icon, besiege the place like normal and bounce on? Can you get away with having a lower number of troops? I regularly see like 500 guys besieging places there's no way they are taking normally. If its my problem I'll go hunt them but normally I'm thinking wtf are they up to. Current game I'm king of denmark with some time to kill before I can do the next thing

Basically yeah. Sieges are where the money is with cities, temples, and castles going from most to last valuable. There's also a sort of skimming mechanic where you can land anywhere without enough troops to siege and still get x amount of gold every four days. That's what you'll see the ai doing for a really long time into the game, but as a player it's not worth the bother until you can win sieges with vassal levies and retinues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh are you guys talking about getting stupid with republic starts? No? Well have a bunch anyways. Some of these are just on my to-do list, while others I've actually done, and all of them are ironman compatible. I'll split them into two categories that I just named right now. "Hard capitals" which are games where you will finish the game with the same capital as where you first formed your republic, and "soft" capitals, which are games where you have the intention of making a certain kingdom or empire your primary title later in the game, and using your option to change your capital to that kingdom/empires de jure capital. Soft capitals can be abused real bad, because the ai will try and work for the "connected to capital" bonus based on your current capital. Not the one you intend to move to. So you can build up a trade zone surrounding your future capital that no other family will attempt to penetrate before you move, and leave them all hosed when you do move. I'm talking 50+ trade posts, all part of one trade zone that is completely connected to your capital. Stupid money. Basically all of these are achievable in the 769 and 867 starts, though the difficulty varies.

Tribal hard capitals

Scandinavia. Uppland, Sjaelland, and Jylland in particular. Each of these will provide 6 holding capitals, and a solid enough capital duchy to fill your personal holdings probably. Uppland is in by far the biggest duchy, and is the best republic start within Scandinavia imo. Starting as an unreformed pagan will require you to either convert to a non-pagan religion or reform the Germanic faith before forming a republic.

Saxony. The duchy of Holstein and it's republic capital of Lubeck is an awesome republic start. It has two 6 holding provinces in it, and it will let you form the titular kingdom of the Hansa once you've formed a republic. The Hansa is an actual republic in later start dates, so you can be historically accuratish if that's your thing by just forming the Hansa way earlier. It's the best Germanic start imo, but you have the Karlings to deal with.

Crimea. Oleshye is another 6 holding capital in a huge duchy. This is a super easy start in 867, but in 769, it is unbelievably hard. It's worth the effort however, because if you maintain steppe culture, you will get the extra steppe buildings in castles that provide a huge boost to your cav numbers. 4 personally owned castles in your capital boosted with those buildings will give you a hell of a personal levy. If you remain pagan, you'll also have the invasion cb, which is the most powerful cb in the game. tengri and germanic are both really good religions to have, tengri especially if you conquer east and get a lot more of the steppe within your realm because of the additional boost it provides to cav.

Massat/Marrakech. This one is easiest in 867 with the Idrisid dynasty. Massat is only 5 holdings so it really wouldn't make my list as a capital, but it's also the only de jure Muslim tribal lands, and it is part of the Marrakech duchy that includes Marrakech, a 7 holding non coastal county that owns hard. In 867, you start as a Sayyid, so the door is wide open for you to become the Caliph of whatever Islamic religion you choose to follow. Or get stupid and reform West African or something.

Ireland and Scotland. Ireland is great because you start as catholic, meaning no pagan reformation to worry about, and you can easily form a republic within your first rulers lifetime. Dublin is the biggest county in Ireland, and it's only 5 holdings. Scotland isn't any better. I wouldn't recommend these as long term capitals, but they are great starts for soft capital games, or getting walked through how to form a republic from a tribe. It's also really fun to form a republic in one of these countries, then convert to unreformed germanic. you won't be tribal, and you'll still get the huge unreformed germanic bonus to retinue cap.

Soft capitals.

Middlesex. De jure capital of the empire of Britannia. Essex is a great duchy, there's no republics who you have to compete with, Middlesex is a perfectly strong 6 holding county, and it's easily accessible from any tribal start. Not to mention that it's usually easy as hell to conquer since England is fractured. You can form an empire title prior to conquering Britannia without loving yourself over as well. This is by far the easiest, safest migration to attempt, and if you've never tried one before, this is where you start.

Barcelona. This one really depends on what happens with the Umayyad. They seem to collapse fairly regularly these days, in which case, you can easily swoop in and nab the kingdom of Aragon, make it your primary title, and then move to your de jure capital of Barcelona. 6 holding capital with more than enough holdings in the duchy to max out your personal holdings in castles.

Bordeaux. De jure capital of Aquitane. 6 holding capital, with 2 other 3 holding counties. Republics can't usurp titles from people of different religions, so you will have to completely conquer Francia before you can form the kingdom of Aquitane.

Provence. De jure capital of Burgundy. Same deal as Aquitane.

Tunis. De jure capital of Africa. I love the duchy of Tunis, and Africa has one of the best realm colors imo. This is a great place to migrate to as a germanic republic due to its proximity to plenty of sweet pillaging to be had.

Rome. De jure capital of the empire of Italia. Rome is a bit tricky in that there's two really sketchy variables that no other soft capital has. The first is that until you conquer it, the pope will own it, and he will poo poo all over it with temples and make it a crappy capital. You can circumvent this by starting as the king of Lombardy, instantly pressing a de jure claim on Rome, using every penny you earn to build castles in its empty holding slots, and then moving to Ireland to form your republic, with the intention of one day returning to conquer your bad mother fucker rear end capital. The baddest mother fucker rear end capital in the game, if you'd like to get technical about it. The other issue is that if the AI forms the HRE, the de jure empire of Italia disappears. There's still a way to make Rome your capital by using the "create roman empire" decision as the ruler of the Byzantine Empire, and while this is fun and achievable, it is a goddamn mess and it's not your weekend game by any means.

Honorable Mention

Brugge. Brugge is an interesting case in that it's a great 7 holding county, but it's also not the de jure capital of any kingdom or empire. It is however, the capital of the duchy of Flanders. So if you want to take on the Karling clown car and conquer Flanders without having so much as a king title to your name, go for it. It'd probably be a cool capital if you could pull it off.

Mecca and Sanaa both fit the same scenario, although they are only 6 holding counties. While it would be really cool to be the Caliph and to run a republic out of Mecca, there's a lot in those game starts that's going to be out of your hands.

India

Unfortunately, there is not one republic, and not one tribal holding anywhere in the southern coasts of the map, and the Suez doesn't exist yet, so moving your republic to the south is going to be a major hassle, and is only possible with a soft capital. The best way I've found to do this is to be a pagan with steppe culture, and use your invasion CB to conquer Egypt, Abyssinia, and Nubia. This will provide you with the boats you need to push on India, as well as personally owned land for your levies to walk across as they get off their boats in the Mediterranean and hop on their new ones in the Red Sea without eating a bunch of attrition. If you've done this, you've basically beat the game already, but if you push on, there's some pretty good poo poo over there in India that can make it worth your while.

Soft capitals

Debul. Right at the far south-eastern corner of the de jure Persian Empire lies the kingdom of Singh. It's de jure capital is Debul, a 6 holding county with like 6 counties in its duchy, Sauvira.

Sarasvata Mandala. De jure capital of Gujarat. Same situation as Debul, but they built a second temple in it because they're idiots.

Cholamandalam. You didn't conquer your way across the loving world for a lame 6 holding county. At the far south end of India lies the only capital worth your time if you've made it this far without ever creating an empire title. It's the de jure capital of Tamilakam, and is basically assured to be a great capital in the late game. It's only a 2 county duchy, but there's still enough holding slots to fill your personal domain, and who cares at that point in the game.

The "you might be able to circumvent all this bullshit and do anything you want at all" footnote

As a republic, you cannot move your capital, unless you are moving it to your de jure capital. This limits moving your current republic to places that are de jure capitals. However, you can establish a vassal republic as a feudal or tribal ruler in any coastal county you want, provided you own a city holding, the county title, and the duchy title of that county. Now if a character inherits a title that is equal or lower to his current title, his current title will remain his primary title. For example, if I'm the King of England, and my heir is the King of Scotland, then when my character dies, my heir will get the kingdom of England, but Scotland will still be his primary title. You can convert yourself to a republic this way. Lets say I own the duchy of Essex and the duchy of Kent, and every holding within them. I can grant my heir the city of London, then grant him the county of Middlesex (which will switch the capital of Middlesex to the city of London), and then grant him the duchy of Essex, which will have my heir forming a republic. So long as my heir still holds the ducal title of doge of Essex, when I die, he will inherit the duchy of Kent, but the republic will remain his primary title, and he will not become feudal. Through this, you can technically form a republic just about anywhere, which opens up great capitals like Basra, Brugge, Muscat, and Aden, and shittier capitals anywhere your little heart desires. The drawback is that your heir could die before you and his heir will become a patrician baron, which will make your transition to a republic much more of a pain in the rear end. You also cannot grant vassal republics King level titles. You can only "arrange" for them to make themselves kings. This means if you're a king, it's going to be pretty difficult to have your heir maintain his republic upon succession.

There's two mechanics that can help you out in this process. The first is caving to an "X for your kingdom" faction that would lower your primary title from a king title to a ducal title. The second is that if you have an equal or lesser rank than your doge heir right now, and you want to get the wait over with and inherit your republic while the getting is good, you can abdicate to him immediately by trying to imprison your vassals until one of them revolts, and then surrendering, which puts a little less guesswork in "I hope I die before my heir does."

And of course, if you don't wish to play ironman, just use the console to grant a city, county, and ducal title to an unlanded character in that order, and he'll form a republic in that county on day one.

Anyways, I've ranted long enough. Republics are awesome. Go play a republic.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something that just occurred to me - can Muslim merchant republics use any holding type without penalty?

Yes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

All three of these are amazing. London is by far the easiest for a Germanic character, but Flanders is really good. And Rome is definitely doable, you just need to get it done in the first decade or so of the game. I guess you could also just park a bunch of raiders on it and wait for them to eventually burn down all the churches, but that could take a hundred years.

Also, make sure that if you do the London option you first convert to Welsh culture for the Longbow retinues.

I'm pretty sure raiders will only burn down a holding if it's currently in construction. Once it's up, it's up. You can raid day one with your personal levies in the 867 start, but that costs money, and you'll quickly go into debt. You could park vassal levies and retinues on Rome indefinitely with no consequence, but the Pope may have built a church or two by the time you manage to get that set up, because it could take decades. De jure claiming Rome as Lombardy on day 1 in 769 is the only surefire way that I've thought up. And I always bounce between Welsh and Hungarian. The welsh cultural attack is amazing, but so is the invasion cb.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:allears:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

These building can be very strong. The housecarl building gives a good bonus to heavy infantry attack. If you consider that heavy infantry will always make up the biggest share of castle troops (if you don't intentionally avoid the barracks upgrade), then this bonus is very good. On the other hand, the Ethiopian cultural building gives pure light infantry, the worst troop type. Build these only after you have build all other upgrades, because even a militia training ground is better since it gives you archers alongside the light infantry. Magyars and West Slavic cultures get light infantry + light infantry defense, which is also pretty bad.

So it all depends. The heavy infantry, longbow and non-light cavalry (knights, horse archers, etc.) buildings are very good, pikes are also okay, while light infantry and defensive light cavalry probably aren't worth the money.

Magyars get Hussar (light cav) retinues and cultural buildings as of now, but we'll see what happens to steppe cultures after horse lords. I tend to save cultural buildings for close to last regardless, but at the end of the day, it adds troops. When it's worth your money because your other buildings are maxed and your tech level isn't going up soon, buy it, even if it's just some light infantry bullshit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you burn down a holding to make room for a nomadic one if you conquer down into Samarkand or something?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
eagerly awaiting the entire world is nomadic mod.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schlesische posted:

Crossposting here and in various other places

With the heat death of the Landfreiden game (RIP Tricky) we will be starting a new CK2 game.
It may or may not be an LP. It may or may not be republics.

Game will be starting at 1300GMT on Saturday, but if people could arrive earlier, we might actually be able to start the game at 1300GMT Saturday.

rip tricky? what did a poster loving die? man, ya'll take that multiplayer poo poo serious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

You win or you die. :unsmigghh:

always be stabbing is a rule i live my life by

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
so wait you could hypothetically have 7 castles in a province through the stewardship focus?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tribal has always been a stepping stone rather than an actual play style anyways. When you're a tribe, your first question is "how am I going to become feudal/republican" and basically everything you do is in pursuit of that goal. It's a fun journey, but it's not meant to be something you stick with beyond a ruler or two, unless you're just dicking around. Playing as a tribal is boring, but you're not supposed to be playing as a tribal imo. You're supposed to be converting. Nomadic might be sustainable, and something worth sticking with for a while or perhaps even the whole game, which would be cool as it's an actual alternate to feudal/republican, rather than just an obstacle to be overcome.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: And now he's trying to raid fellow nomads while failing to realize that he borders the goddamn Byzantine Empire.

Maybe he likes having an army.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
have the patriarch of the east educate your heir

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anonononomous posted:

Also, are republics allowed to have vassal republics? As Venice, controlling Carpathia and the Wendish Empires, I set up Pomerania as a republic, but they never developed any trade zones.

No, only the top lieges republic exists. I had a fun game once where I conquered Britannia as a Norse republic, made every single duchy except Essex a republic, and then granted the empire title to the feudal ruler and sat back to watch the fireworks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

gottland-mainland

oh you holdin out little bitch. :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just now really cracking into horse lords as that Mongol count at the CM start, and what's the deal with a minimum of 90% of manpower used in order to use the invasion CB? I don't like that at all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bamford Brownstone posted:

The manpower isn't used, just needed. You can declare as many simultaneous invasions as you want once you have the required manpower.

All I know is 40 years in I've never once met the requirements to invade, but I have over 2k prestige, so I could declare 4 invasions right now if I had any other form of government, since they only require 500 prestige. The prestige requirement as a nomad is only 100, which is cool, but with the manpower thing it's like "ok, well I guess I'll just do a county conquest then" since I can't invade.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bear in mind you can give away territory to other clans if you want to meet the invasion requirements. It only counts your own clan's land, not the whole khanate.

Oh nice. I've got like 20 personally owned counties and there's only one other clan that controls a duchy, so that might be part of the problem. I've been waiting for another minor clan revolt thing to surrender to because I haven't seen any way to grant random couriers land, and it seems dumb to have one vassal that's super duke big.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are republics broken? Twice I've formed them now since I started playing again, and it said I had no heir even though I had sons. Game over when I died.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tribal reformed to republic in Marrakech (with Massat as the capitol). In a different game I tried Iqta to Republic about 19 different ways and couldn't get it to work. Maybe it's just a Muslim thing, but I've never had issues using the "heir has equal or greater title than you and is a republic, then die/abdicate" method before Horse Lords. Now it's either you stay Iqta or game over. I wanted to try out being a Muslim republic since it seems they've removed decadence from republic families, meaning you get all the perks of Islam with none of the cons, but there's no way to become one other than taking an existing republic and converting religion. I had forgotten how frustrating this game can be. I'll try designating an heir, but even if you don't designate an heir, you should still inherit through seniority succession, so I'm not optimistic. I could do it in 10 seconds with no issues if I didn't care about the game being ironman compatible. :sigh:

Edit: Reloading the last autosave in my Marrakech game fixed succession, but I definitely died and game over'd because it didn't recognize my heir before that. That's a new bug for me.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 25, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Does Shia or Ibadi have any significantly different gameplay mechanics/events compared to Sunni?

They both still have caliphs that act the same. The main difference is Sunni and it's heresies (upon becoming dominant and making Sunni a heresy) have way more holy orders available than Shia and its heresies. Sunni also has the schools you can choose which give you certain boosts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kharijite should be the funnest religion in the game, but it's not. CK2 is really missing a good ISIS simulator.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else noticed that culture conversion for a character via their guardian is completely fruitless since Horse Lords? I just spent 100 years tutoring every male family member as either Mongol or Hungarian, and not one has converted. Now both of those cultures are basically extinct and I can't do poo poo about it. Sucks really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you a nomad? Nomads can't culture convert period.

No, norse republic. I've had the same issue with multiple different cultures and government types in different games when trying to switch. I've tried multiple cultures in the Altaic group, but none of those seem to work, and I can't imagine it's any better with any other cultures. As soon as Horse Lords came out I was stoked that there would be a Mongol character in 769, and I wanted to make a Mongol republic. Of course, Horse Lords patched out Mongols being able to use the invasion CB as anything other than Christian, which just puts them on the same tier as any other Altaic culture, but now I can't even get the invasion CB as a pagan because I can't convert culture at all! Sucks rear end. Coming up with convoluted religion/culture combos and going for those was my favorite thing to do in this game, and now it's basically gone because the only way to reliably convert is to find a county with your desired religion or culture and make it your capital. Before it seemed about 1/3 that a character tutored by a guardian with a different culture would convert. Now it's like 1/20, if not an outright 0% chance, because I have yet to see it happen.

Edit: Many of these tutors are in my court, so they aren't nomadic either. They're feudal mongols that will tutor 10+ feudal/republican children from 6 years old to 16 over the course of their lives, and convert none of them.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread