Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Quick question for the more seasoned of CK2 vets, since I'm playing in Ironman and don't want to accidentally screw this up.

I'm playing in the 1066 start as the Duke of Provence. I recently won a war with Pisa to assert my De Jure claim on Nice, which I promptly revoked from the Prince-Bishop who held it. I'd like to give it away, but I don't want to make it a Bishopric anymore, but just a regular feudal county. If I hand it over to a feudal lord, will it convert to a county, or will I just stuck with a feudal lord of a bishopric stuck with a wrong holding type penalty (like I currently have?)

iirc, if you personally both hold the capital in the province and the thing you want to be the new capital you just right-click what you want(in this case, a castle) and there should be a 'make new capital' option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

The river crossing penalty is figuratively killing me and literally killing my men. Entire wars lost because I didn't bother to zoom in and see if there was a tiny blue squiggle in the county I'm assaulting.

Also, how do you see terrain modifiers on a county that's currently being sieged? The county details window is different when an attacker is present, and I don't know how else to view that info.

There's a button that's two arrows on the section of the window that swaps between the county details page and the siege page

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all that and the hre is still alive

e: every time i look at this image i see more austrasias, what the gently caress happened there

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man going down the line and thinking about every expansion on its own is just making me realize i've dipped my toes into basically everything but republics(and india but yawn to that), i should fix that maybe

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Chancellor with 23 Diplo can't get a claim done in forty years of sitting on a place. New Chancellor under new ruler with all of 11 gets it done in two months. Go figure.

iirc there's an event where the title owner can find out about the fabrication and bribe the chancellor to never come up with one for like, 20 years

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

Man, now that I know you always win the war if you capture their king I've been able to pull off some real blitzkrieg bullshit. Why even bother worrying about defensive coalitions if you can be in their capital/main stack about three months before anyone gets here and force their king to sign a peace? I've got the scandanavian empire and enough territory to make England if I get enough cash, which I strongly suspect I'll be able to get now I can have like 5k of raiders.

OTOH my threat is now at 100%.

huh, what are the odds of capturing the guy in charge when you take their capital anyway? it sounds to me like you're getting some crazy good luck if you're pulling it off that consistently

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

Huh, I'd say like... Out 2-3 battles, I capture or kill the enemy monarch, and the time I killed them instead I subsequently kidnapped his newly-crowned son in the ensuing siege.

I have noticed there's a preference for capturing women from courts, though, or maybe that's just women generally being stuck in courts.

mostly capturing women and children with the occasional general or low-level count or baron has been my experience, nabbing the main dude i'm up against has always seemed extremely rare for me

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm usually not one to obsess over pretty borders, but the Charlemagne start seems to have a particular knack for making Europe into a horrific jumbled mess.

it's your punishment for thinking you could avoid the hre's ugly blob rear end

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rally points and the new cbs being dlc and not part of the patch is a major bummer

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Spaseman posted:

Is it possible to declare war while I have mercenaries hired?

fairly certain you can, the war restriction is specifically about having 'levies raised'

at the very least i know you can declare with the 2.5k tribal army from the 'raise tribal army' decision and i imagine it'd be the same for mercs

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Am I using my council correctly? This is my Venice game and I’ve got a whole four counties now...

My Chancellor is either trying to fabricate a claim on whatever I want to conquer next or improving diplomatic relations.

My Marshal is researching military tech in Venice.

My Steward is collecting taxes in Venice.

My Spymaster is stealing tech.

My Chaplain is researching in Venice.

Is there a better way to use them?

your marshal should have one that lowers retinue upkeep, i imagine that could be real useful for a merchant republic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tamba posted:

But the next DLC will be the last one?

do we know this for sure or are people just assuming that?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

1066 Leon's not a bad starting point; kill your two brother kings in the right order before they can make heirs and you'll inherit their kingdoms. and even if that doesn't pan out your heir should inherit the claims on those + the number of muslims to the south mean you've got a lot of holy warring potential

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Unfortunately, wishes don't come true.

Dev-Diary is up with no release date. All about Coronations & Crowns.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-103-long-live-the-king.1122493/

hat dlc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

marrying for alliances doesn't have to be all that complicated, just marry your girls to nearby rulers/sons of rulers you don't see yourself warring against in the near future

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pmchem posted:

I got this game for free in a Steam deal, but: just the BASE game. No expansions/DLC. What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

I have played Stellaris but no other Paradox grand strategy games.

fwiw to you, there's very likely gonna be a sale on DLC this tuesday; they usually do one whenever a new DLC comes out

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i always give my advisor slot to someone who really likes me to make council votes a little easier

if a powerful vassal wants a council spot he should've gotten better stats :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there's a thread title joke in there somewhere about ck2 players and animals both killing their offspring but it's just not coming to me

• Locked thread