Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Anybody else hate it when you are on your normal tour raiding the rich Byzantine coastline, and they once again have a massive civil war with several dozen armies swarming all over the place? How is a viking supposed to make a living under these conditions?!

Get an Orthodox courtier, conquer Constantinople, give it to the Orthodox courtier, raid the poo poo out of him while he's defenceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Looking forward to Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Had been planning to not get Way of Life as heard a lot about seduction being way overpowered.

Recently nerfed. Although it was never so much OP as it was a complete clusterfuck. Anyone who picked Seduction focus ended up with dozens of bastard children and a wife who had like a -2000 opinion modifier.

I mean, you could get a lot of mileage out of it if you were stuck in Gavelkind by marrying an infertile woman and then just loving your way across half of Europe and then holding Bastard Thunderdome and legitimizing whichever one turned out best but that actually required a significant amount of effort to do properly.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard this a lot, can somebody explain it?

Mongols have a special CB that's very good. Jains get insane bonuses that make their realms very stable but they also lose access to a lot of CBs. Mongol Jains still get the special CB.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

So how do you start as a Mongol Jain?

You don't but it doesn't take that long to convert to Jain as a Mongol, since you start out close to where they are and Indian religions can convert between each other easily.

edit: or you can ruler design one whatever

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

"Only nets me 25 gold" counts as not rich enough.

I think I'll do vikings again my next game. Whip up a tasty Scandinavia real quick, then head for India.

I just let everyone who can pay anything go. I mean, I have so many prisoners as a Viking that I always get at least 4 who can't pay the ransom and that's as many as I can sacrifice so I might as well get paid for the others.

I'd totally use a mod that let you sacrifice every prisoner at once, though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

This was really useful for DLC purchase decision making.

e: My game can completely bugged out. The Queen of Scotland has hired mercs who won't fight anyone so I have 99% warscore but can't win a battle since I can't fight these mercs. Any ideas on how to fix?

e2: She finally surrendered at 99% but this mercenary army is just wandering around not being able to fight. I might try switching to the Queen of Scotland.

e3: They just upped and vanished :downs:

Were you the same religion as she was? She might have hired a holy order that refused to fight you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I never give a poo poo about army composition beyond assigning whoever the guys with the 3 best martial scores who aren't cowards to lead my biggest stack.

Until I end up losing and getting half my army owned, then I briefly start paying attention to the finer details just in time for it to be way too late to make a difference.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Crossposting here and in various other places

With the heat death of the Landfreiden game (RIP Tricky) we will be starting a new CK2 game.
It may or may not be an LP. It may or may not be republics.

Game will be starting at 1300GMT on Saturday, but if people could arrive earlier, we might actually be able to start the game at 1300GMT Saturday.

I'm down for it. It's been a long time since I was in a goon CK2 game. Is it still in the CTS mumble or what?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

Those kids will be of his dynasty though?

Just force convert them before the marriage and you do can do matri. You don't lose Sayyid if you convert.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Excelzior posted:

oh man keep nerfing North Korea mode guys it's totally not a colossal waste of everyone's time when you spend man-hours on preventing a specific subgroup of players from ENJOYING THEMSELVES, usually resulting in unintended disadvantages for every single other player as the "world conquest players" just loving route around your latest roadblock.

There's literally nothing stopping you from just stripping all of their titles and it gives you roughly the same amount of tyranny anyway and the old way that banishment worked didn't make any sense.

I figure it's more of an alternative to execution that's "I want this guy to die but if I execute him I'll get Kinslayer and/or piss off a bunch of important people so instead he can just gently caress off forever".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I don't really get this. Having to wait 4+ years sieging down provinces cause battle warscore is so low is easily the worst part about CK2 for me, has it been tweaked in Horse Lords?

I think how much warscore you get for battles in comparison to sieges depends on what CB you're using. Like if your CB is for pressing specific claims on counties then you kind of need to siege those counties down in order to win, but if you're using one of the more generalized CBs like Invasion you can get pretty much all of the score you need from fighting.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

The duchy that comprised most of the kingdom ended up inherited by my wife's younger sister, with my wife as the heir now.
How nice for her, it's a shame this duchy is known for its snakes, bandits, poor roads and shoddy carpentry.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I never stop plots unless they're against me or someone really important.

I mean I don't really give a gently caress either way if some Duke wants to kill one of my cousins and if I happen to catch him in the act it's better to just let him have at it in case I need a reason to imprison him later rather than tell him to stop.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

I may be super dumb for not seeing this, but how do nomads build trading posts on the silk road(if they do at all)? Nomads don't gain technology points and thus can't increase their trading post limit.

Also, the one rival clan in my Khaganate are greedy assholes, I hold 5 counties and they hold 8, but they still demand more.

Nomads don't gain tech points in the same way that other people gain tech points but there's a building you can build in your capitol that gives you some and you can get some by destroying holdings I think.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

something seems wrong here

Other things that seem wrong: I invited someone to go drinking with me 40 years ago and he declined and has been flagged as immune to all hostile actions ever since, which has become a real pain in the rear end since he's the head of a clan I need to split.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also there's no way to pillage baronies right, you can only pillage the county capital and then hold the remainder as vassals?

You can pillage anything you own. All you have to do to pillage the other holdings is revoke them from whatever guy holds them(which as a Nomad is basically free other than the prestige cost because the other Khans could not possibly give less of a poo poo about what you do to anyone else.)

Basically you just park your horde on the holding to immediately stomp anyone who tries to rebel and then revoke all the cities/temples/castles and pillage them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

or occupy in a war.

I've never actually figured out how you're supposed to pillage holdings you occupy during a war because it always tells me that I'm not the province owner and therefore can't do it even if I've taken every holding in the province and have my horde parked on top of it. Works fine when I win the war and actually own it, though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So if you're a Hindu Nomad and you send your heir away to go crack skulls as a mercenary for a few years he gets to choose a patron god which sucks because unless I get lucky they choose someone other than Kali and I can't sacrifice the hundreds of prisoners I have anymore making them completely worthless to me because I have thousands of gold already and the only thing I can spend it on is sheep. Every time I see that my son chose one of the lovely boring gods I have to spend 5 minutes going through my prisoner list and throwing them all in the Oubliette because I'm not willing to get spammed with their endless whining unless I get to eat their hearts for piety.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Krataar posted:

Is there a way to pillage the provinces into grass before I take them?

You can pillage if you occupy a province during a war but it only destroys one building at a time rather than 4.

It gives you the same amount of money and tech though so if you don't care about sitting in a war at 100% for years you can get more money and tech out of a province by not owning it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They really need to add a "kill entire family and culture" or something for playing as the mongols, it's absolutely awful to have to squash stupid little rebellions from dumbass Persians who are willing to send stacks of 100 guys like ants all over useless steppe.

If you destroy all the holdings in a province it automatically converts to your culture and religion so all you have to do is park your horde in the area you want to pillage to swat down the rebels and then slowly burn everything to the ground.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Please add an option to all human sacrifice events to sacrifice everyone in the dungeons at once, thanks in advance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Loomer posted:

Whenever I pillage holdings, they aren't destroyed. It's annoying me.

They're only destroyed if they have no upgrades. Pillaging destroys 4 upgrades and when there are less than 4 it destroys all of them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The 50 man bands are good because if you're a count and you're trying to beat up another count then you go to siege his county and realize that you're 20 men short you no longer have to spend hundreds of gold to hire 2000 men which bankrupts you and never made much sense to begin with. Instead you pay 5 gold to rent a couple of dozen thugs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

There should be a decision to remove/choose your nickname for a bunch of prestige.

Like you'd think someone would be able to pull a better moniker than "Fat" after 50 years of brutal conquest.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

They should just let you flag holdings to autopillage them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gin_Rummy posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, guys, but I have more Norse questions! I conquered Denmark pretty early on, granting me the title of King from the dude who had already created the title, but this has led me to a bit of stalling out... It seems my subjugate CB has disappeared. Is this because I have a title as King, or could the previous king of Denmark have reformed the faith, which transfers to me after my conquest?

I'd really like to conquer the poo poo out of Sweden, but the lack of subjugation would make it an incredibly slow and arduous task.

You only get to use Subjugate once per character unless your ambition is to become a King(which it can't be, since you are one).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Anyone have any good tips, should I try to convert to Christianity , how if so?

Reform the faith and raid, burn, and conquer your way across Europe. Start with the British Isles because even if they call everyone else into war no one will bother shipping troops over there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

True, there is that, for the times you need an heir yesterday.

Seduction is much better for acquiring heirs as long as you don't mind them being legitimized bastards.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Twice now I've had my emperor die while over the vassal limit, and both times my realm has stayed intact. Is my game bugging out somehow, or is there some nuance here that I'm not grasping? Holy Roman Emperor, great stats, feudal elective, only duke tier vassals below me, and destroyed all the component kingdoms, if any of that matters.

You're not guaranteed to lose vassals, it's just a possibility.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also, I think they grow exponentially. So if one starts out a reasonable size they very quickly become unreasonable.

As in "whoops when did you go from three to thirty three thousand men"

I believe the way it works is that whenever the Captain gets something like 25 gold he spends it to increase the size of the company by 5 percent, and how much money they earn is based on how many men they have. So if you send out 50 men then occasionally the Captain will hire like 2 or 3 more men and even if he's always working it'll take him decades just to break 100. If you send out a thousand men then they will basically continuously hire more and more men, who will earn them more and more money, etc..

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hadaka Apron posted:

What's the highest ability score you've ever seen, both with and without the military advice modifier?

In my Latin Empire game, I saw a king of Hungary with 38 Diplomacy, and this was despite being shy. I also saw someone with 53 Martial with advice modifier.

If you count ruler designer stuff in one of the multiplayer games I managed to get a character up to 103 intrigue.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can I make another character gain prestige?
That's what making him a mercenary is for basically.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It's actually easier to start as a vassal clan than as the head clan because the only time you will be weak as a nomad is right at the start before you get rolling and if you're the top guy you'll have the other clans loving with you constantly.

But if you're a vassal you basically just get to build in peace until you feel like going for the top spot.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

Could some kind king convey a crash course on Crisis of the Confederation? I have the general idea (CKII in space, travel between "counties" needs "straits" or "galleys", holdings are planets with their own mostly-unimprovable resource "buildings"), but it seems like everything is roughly twice as expensive as I think it should be and I likewise have roughly half the resources I think I should.

Like, I started as Principito, the Space Pirate folks in the lower right, and I could barely do any raiding. The only planet I could siege was literally a vanilla church (Which only got me 4 and a half gold :argh:), and nearly everything else had fort level right up to the end of the gold bar. I was also on my way to a game over because she was in her fifties with no heir and decidedly not enough money and/or tech level to clone herself.

So according to the tooltips Principito is a Pirate Republic and as such for them raiding is more of an occasional thing rather than an actual source of income, and they're supposed to mostly do smuggling rather than just stealing poo poo. Apparently Pirate Kingdoms are the guys who go do actual raiding so maybe try them.

I don't know because I'm just getting into COTC myself and have mostly been fiddling around with Military governments. It's a fantastic mod and the scale of it is so big that I'm willing to forgive some of the janky or unfinished bits I'm seeing, like the broken tooltips. Only thing that's really annoying me is the fact that every mercenary company comes with a fleet of Tunnelers(the galley equivalent) which makes their monthly cost absolutely insane. Like a company of ~250 men costs 10 gold every month because of it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

At one of the start dates there was an Indian Ruler who was 130 years old and whose only heir was 100 years old and if you picked him the game immediately went "oh poo poo what are these guys doing alive" and killed both of them and you lost.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

catlord posted:

And I still haven't figured out what Operations are supposed to be
Operations are military officers within the country you are fighting declaring war on you with the ships under their command. Basically the President or whoever is at the top declares war/has war declared on them and then various Admirals under them start Operations against the enemy. If one of the Admirals reaches 100% warscore in their Operation they capture the enemy leader automatically, ending the war, and get lots of prestige and bonuses. If you manage to get 100% warscore against one of these Admirals you can force them to surrender, which gives them a big penalty to their Martial stat and some other things for a while and kicks them and their fleet out of the war, but doesn't end the actual, larger war.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

...Oh god my wife is cheating on me

You'd better murder her and all of your children just to be sure.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Drone posted:

-Wanna play in India (I've owned this since launch and have never once used it), get Rajas of India.

India is super boring to play in but I have found one good use for having Rajas which is that playing a Hindu Nomad and devoting yourself to Kali lets you do human sacrifice, which drastically improves the Nomad experience by giving you something to do with the billions of prisoners you end up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

if you give him the title ("grant landed title") or vassal ("transfer vassalage")

Also, if a troublesome vassal is a Count or Duke, you can just transfer his vassalage to one of your Duke/King level vassals. Then he'll be someone else's problem, and you'll get an opinion bonus from them to boot. You can kill multiple birds with one stone a lot of the time by doing this. If you have an angry Duke and a couple of rear end in a top hat counts, just dump all the counts into the Duke's lap. He'll be happy since he's got a bigger domain under his control, but he won't actually be much more powerful because he'll have to spend all his time slapping down the gaggle of assholes you've saddled him with, and the assholes will bother him instead of you.

• Locked thread