Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Copying this quote from the old thread:

Spakstik posted:

I'd kill for something that automated guardianship to some degree, like an option to have the computer automatically find guardians for anyone whose relation to you is kinsman. Merchant republics would benefit a lot from it too; my case is probably an edge case, but the entire point of republics is to make your dynasty as large as possible so you can build more trade posts and have a larger pool of potential heirs to choose from.

I'm usually most concerned with making sure the heirs to my vassals are educated by someone Content, wherever possible. Keeping up with them and periodically checking who's educating them is the main thing I use my character bookmarks list for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aschlafly posted:

e: It's also struck me as a bit odd how little crown authority it requires to switch to ultimogeniture and how much it requires to get primogeniture, unless of course you switch to primo as a duke (no CA requirement). I guess it makes sense from a game design perspective; primo enables you a little more certainty and stability, whereas ultimo leaves the very real risk that your wife will pop out a terrible heir at the last minute and you'll just have to make do through sixteen years of regency. Otherwise it's strange.

I like Ultimo but it's a ticking time bomb until you get hosed sideways by a long regency. Regencies are designed the way they are in large part specifically to make Ultimo undesirable.

And yeah never ever land your heir.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

More claims confusion: as the King of Eire, I've gained two of the three counties in the de jure Duchy of Galloway, with only the county of Galloway itself left in Scottish control. I assumed that if I created the Duchy of Galloway I'd be able to make a de jure claim on the County of Galloway, but I can't. What have I missed? Can I not make a de jure Ducal claim as a King?

No. You own the Duchy of Galloway de facto, but it's still de jure Scotland's and will remain so until you've controlled it for 100 years. To the contrary, the king of Scotland will still have de jure kingdom claims on the two counties you hold.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

beedeebee posted:

By the way, are there any sales on the DLC at the moment? Specially on Charlemagne and the Way of Life DLC.

Way of Life costs less than :10bux: at full price so there's really no need to wait for it. Charlemagne isn't really worth it even on sale unless you're gaga for the scripted events or just gotta have custom kingdoms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Didn't someone mention a mod to make the Byzantines easier to break up? Because god dang they are annoying.

Breaking up the Byzantines just means they'll get gobbled up by the Abassids/Seljuks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If they don't like the current liege the various dukes usually just vote for the guy they like best, which basically means highest Diplomacy (which has a good chance of being the player character since the player focuses on training their heirs for high Diplomacy much more than the AI does).

I think the entire AI thought process behind how they decide who to support in Elective successions could use work. There should be a lot more politics and deal striking involved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I think 1066 France starts in a regency.

Incidentally 1066 France often gets quickly gobbled up by the HRE

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Custom titles are the only significant thing Charlemagne adds. (there's also viceroyalties, which some people like but I don't; an earlier start date that IMO sucks; and a bunch of scripted Charlemagne events :toot:)

You must have The Old Gods, Legacy of Rome and Way of Life. Everything else is "if this looks interesting to you." (You need The Republic to play republics, you need Sword of Islam to play Muslims, you need Sons of Abraham to play Jews. These DLCs add nothing significant to the game besides unlocking new playables.)

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's Old Gods that lets you play as tribals isn't it?

I know I can play tribal just fine and don't have Charlemagne. It's either an Old Gods thing or an automatic thing that came with a patch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can't google but you can post on SA? :confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Volkerball posted:

If you have old gods you should try a Norse Germanic republic. They're stupid overpowered. I started a tutorial LP in the LP thread that I really need to continue sometime that shows the basics of what you'd need to do. A year or so ago I played a game as svipjod where I ended up loving with India and I've been in love with republics ever since. I still play feudal sometimes but republics are my go-to government.

There are a few basics a new player should keep in mind, such as...

* It's better to be the defender than the attacker, especially in non-flat terrain. If the numbers are close you can turn it in your favor by dividing your forces and enticing the enemy to attack you on hills/mountains with his entire force while your reinforcements wait nearby.

* If you're going on the attack check the terrain. You may think you have a comfortable advantage like 4500 to 2800, but if they're defending on mountains you might get your rear end handed to you.

* Composition matters. Archers are great, heavy infantry is good, any cavalry is good, light infantry SUCKS--and levies tend to mostly be light infantry, especially if they're tribal. Horse archers are ridiculously badass and a big reason why the Mongol hordes are so terrifying. You can check the enemy army's composition by hovering over it. Again--light infantry is terrible. An army of 1000 that's all cavalry/heavy infantry/archers (which some mercs will provide) will destroy an army of 3000 that's mostly light infantry.

* Pay attention to morale. Your *own* levies and retinues start at full morale, but vassal levies and mercs start at zero morale and you have to wait a while for their morale to fill up before you send them into battle. An army with low morale will break and run almost immediately, losing the battle. An army coming off a ship will be at half morale, so don't send your army off a ship and directly into battle unless you overwhelmingly outnumber the enemy.

* Pay attention to supply limits. Attrition can murder you if you aren't careful. This goes double in the wintry north and quadruple if you're fighting pagans and don't have Military Organization level 4 yet.

* Favor commanders who have good commander traits, if you have any. In particular Organizer is the best trait by far for a lead (center flank) commander, as it makes your whole army move significantly faster. Winter Soldier is hard to get but very overpowered in wintry terrain. Otherwise just pay attention to the situation when choosing commanders--if you're going on the offensive you want the Aggressive guy, but if you're about to be attacked swap him out for the Defensive Leader guy. Swap in a Siege Leader if you're about to lay siege (you have to break the siege to change commanders so be sure to do this first). Holy Warriors are great if you're fighting infidels. Etc. I actually periodically scan the character list to see if there's an Organizer around I can get into my court. 20 ducats is a cheap price to pay for one, especially if he's young.

* Retinues: Buy Archer retinues always, unless you have a particularly good cultural retinue. If your cultural retinue's just knights or housecarls or something then just ignore them and buy Archers. Also Welsh characters have an incredibly overpowered Archer-specific tactic, so it's not necessary but it's a very nice bonus if you have an archer-heavy army to have a Welsh commander around.

* Don't lead your army yourself, and don't have your awesome heir do it. It doesn't matter if he has a 21 Martial score. Just. Don't. The advantage 21 Martial provides over 11 actually isn't that huge, and your great character will get killed because this is CK2. (And, because again this is CK2, if you send your rear end in a top hat oldest son with a 6 Martial to lead your army he will never, ever get killed or injured.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I usually do okay with 65% archers or so (it's hard to actually get higher than that unless you're Welsh). The standard (non-Welsh) archer retinue is 80% archers, 20% heavy infantry--when you combine it with your levies the archer percentage is going to go down into that mid-high-50s area anyway. I don't think "whoops, too many archers" is a problem that comes up very much (unless, again, you're Welsh).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Getting out of losing all your poo poo to a holy war by converting to the religion in question is an option for characters, yes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Adding to that, I really wish the game had a filter for "show me only characters who dislike their current liege and thus can be bribed to come to my court".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

All I want is to have call to arms messages pause the game because nothing sucks worse than losing prestige and a good alliance because you just didn't notice in time.

As long as the war's still going on you can negate the penalty by manually going to the guy and doing Offer to Join War, can't you? Been a while since I've had to do this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Calls to war aren't messages per se, the way the game counts as messages (requests for marriages are the same way). They're a popup notification.

I agree it's 100% retarded that they work this way. Since letting them expire gets you the same penalty as telling your ally to piss off, there's no reason it shouldn't be a message set to "pause the game until I act" by default.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a notification, not a message. A pop-up message pops up a window (such as when one of your councilors fires an event). Calls to war and marriage requests are notifications, the little circle icons that you see at the top of your screen ("Unmarried heir," "You can press de jure ducal claims," etc.) When one comes in you hear a door-opening sound affect as they appear with a "drop in" animation.

With a call to war you only get like a week to respond before the notification vanishes and you get hit with a Dishonored Alliance penalty, and it's pretty easy for this to happen if you're cruising along at high speed and distracted by something else. You can still go and manually offer to join the guy's war, but it's loving annoying for no good reason.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 21, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Keep at it, young padawan. Once you clear 800 it all becomes second nature. :clint:

Note that I have proven several times in this thread that I don't know anything about this drat game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Since the last patch, is anyone else having problems with the game freezing and needing to be manually killed when you try to exit the game?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Adding China to this game is just an atrocity of a terrible idea for a zillion reasons.

Now a standalone China-focused Paradox game, hell yes I'd buy that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I prefer the standard archer retinues to housecarls, myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

How many ways are there to die that get listed as "suspicious circumstances" when there was no assassination involved? The only one I've gotten was when my child ruler was climbing the castle and fell off.

"Suspicious circumstances" means assassination always, as far as I know. You probably got whacked by someone you weren't suspecting. Sometimes AI characters just decide to kill someone for reasons that are hard to discern.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

alcaras posted:

Is there a yet a way to search filter for "people who want to come to my court" or "people who would come to my court if I bribed them with gold"?

It gets really old clicking through every single person.

Nope. That would be too easy, you're supposed to earn your claimants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They do if they aren't kin, but "vassal" can be anything - give them a barony and it still counts even if you press their claim for a kingdom (at least as long as you're an emperor - even if they are a vassal if you press a claim for a title equal or higher than your own they'll still become independent). I believe they'll also be a vassal if the title is de jure part of your territory, although you don't really need to invite claimants for those anyway since you already have a CB.

The real pro way to do it though is to marry a claimant to someone of your dynasty, and then press the claim when their child inherits it. Not only will they still be your vassal since they're a member of your dynasty, but you can raise the child yourself to ensure they're content (or at least, not ambitious), making them unlikely to cause trouble with their new power.

and then watch helplessly as they die of the clap two years later and leave the kingdom to their chucklefuck Amtibious Elusive Shadow brother because ck2.txt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know, after the 83rd consecutive time they sent a raiding party to the shores of Brittania and the only thing that they ever heard from that party again was one or two of its leaders' heads sent back in a box, you'd think the Vikings would take a hint and find somewhere else to raid. But noooo, apparently they have nothing better to do than send thousands of men to die every single spring just to annoy me with having to click a bunch of buttons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

One of my vassals had my wife murdered, when I tried to imprison him he rebelled. I smashed him and revoked a title for free, but I feel like I really shouldn't get a -10 tyrant malus for executing him. Oh well.

If he's of your dynasty you also get Kinslayer for executing him. For murdering your wife. :psyduck:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Azzanadra posted:

I think that if you execute him before revoking it will not have a -10 tyranny malus. when somebody fucks with you, you only get one free punitive action that's allowed, and in your case you used it revoking a title. I've never really bothered to execute vassals myself, I prefer to let them sit in jail powerless to do anything.

Nope. I literally just did this exact thing two days ago. Dude rebelled after murdering my son, I crushed the rebellion, auto-imprisoning him. His son was a cool guy so I felt no need to revoke; just executed him. Got the tyranny malus and Kinslayer for my trouble. loving absurd. I should be getting a +25 Kin Avenger trait for that.

"The emperor executed his fifth cousin for having his seven-year-old son murdered but let the guy's family keep their lands, what a tyrannical rear end in a top hat!" said no one ever.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can get a lot of mileage out of just tinkering with defines.lua yourself, and it's so easy any idiot can do it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kingturnip posted:

My Mongol Jain Empire of Britannia was just crusaded.
Sadly for the catholic idiots, the Pope led the charge at the first battle.

As it happens, it was also the only battle of the crusade.

Are you using the More Realistic Battles mod? I installed that and like it but the one annoying thing about it is that 75% of the time a Crusade is called it quickly ends with the Pope storming into battle with like 4000 dudes like a retard before the rest of Christendom has time to assemble, losing badly and getting captured. Now I actually save and reload without that mod whenever a crusade is called (for some reason this doesn't happen nearly as often with jihads, I guess caliphs aren't quite as :downs: as popes? Or because caliphs usually have gigantic armies of their own whereas popes have a small personal army and rely on holy orders and Catholic kings/emperors to provide guys with pointy sticks, I guess.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Swear to god I :ninja: edited that post because I saw yours, Cheshire. Yes, that's probably what it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

The duchy that comprised most of the kingdom ended up inherited by my wife's younger sister, with my wife as the heir now. :shrug:

gavelkind.txt

That sounds like an easily solved problem

:ese:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Are vikings coded to prioritize raiding the player, or is just confirmation bias because I can't see them raiding everyone else.

It's the latter. Vikings are raiding pretty much all the time and there are a lot of them.

It's retarded and pretty bullshit that even after your empire has slaughtered 139 Viking raiding parties in a row they just keep right on sending 'em. THAT part is by design and just there to annoy the player.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah. You really need someone with the Winter Soldier trait to do that. And even then you'd better be prepared to divide your army into small pieces and spend years slowly sieging down holdings.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The warscore reward for defeating enemy armies is based on the proportion of the total enemy force that army represents. I think it's based on the maximum number of troops they can have, rather than their current available pool, so even if that army of 12,000 is their entire active levy, if their maximum is say, 40,000 or something, it will still count relatively low for warscore purposes.

Yeah. There have been times I've actually waited until a weaker enemy is up near his full strength before declaring war, so as to avoid having to spend 5 years sieging down his poo poo.

It's also important (for any new players out there) to CAREFULLY REVIEW THE OTHER GUY'S ALLIES before declaring war. You go "phhhh, he has 2500 dudes to my 5500, easy peasy" and a month later you're at war with a fully loaded HRE :suicide:

If the other guy does have an inconvenient alliance, sometimes you can easily apply CK2's Solution to All Problems to nullify it.

:ese:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 5, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Don't; he's serbian.

I had a game not long ago wherein I had a Croatian vassal merchant republic and pretty much every Croatian in my realm was such an rear end in a top hat I became egregiously racist about it after a while. Like scanning around for bride candidates for my heir I'd be like "oh wow this chick is Quick and 10+ in every stat, looks like a wi--oh wait, she's Croatian, gently caress that bitch" and I'd imprison every single Croatian I caught plotting random rivalhits and arrange for them to meet with accidents in the dungeon.

And that's how CK2 made me a bad person.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Groundwork being laid for the inevitable China expansion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

60s is a pretty old age to live to in my CK2 experience. Most of the characters I see who die natural deaths do so in their 50s.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think dynasty members in general will get upset if you change succession laws even if they never stood to inherit anything - they just don't like changes from how things are traditionally handled. The modifier is probably bigger if they DO get disinherited by the change but even people who get bumped into first by the change will sometimes still get the negative modifier (Although it is somewhat cancelled out by the positive "heir" modifier at that point).

The way it works is fairly transparent, I think... anyone who moves down the line of succession as a result of the change (I don't think this only applies to the top 3, but *anyone* who would have appeared anywhere in the line of succession) gets a -50 Outraged By Succession Law Change; whoever becomes the new heir gets a +50 Pleased by Succession Law Change; anyone else who moves up the line of succession gets a +20 Pleased by Succession Law Change.

If you switch from Gavelkind/*geniture to Feudal Elective all elector vassals (who aren't dynasty members in the previous line of succession) get the +20 (in addition to the +20 you always get with vassals for being Feudal Elective) and if you switch the other direction you get the -20, IIRC.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The combat changes are notable--the long-awaited major nerf to archers has finally come. Also you'll notice that the already nigh-useless light infantry has been even further rendered harmless.

Edit: Archers skirmish being cut by 60% seems extreme. I'll be interested to see how that plays out. The higher maintenance and lower defense are definitely sensible changes, though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tulul posted:

You missed the last bit.

So siege preference now goes war elephants (25)>heavy cavalry (10)>heavy infantry (6)>pikemen (5). Assaults will probably be easier, as the highest value you could get previously was a 5 with archers.

Nah, they'll be harder if anything because you can't stock up heavy cavalry and heavy infantry nearly as much as you could archers. A 10:1 manpower advantage won't be enough now because it'll mostly be useless light infantry and now-useless archers. I haven't worked out the specific math but you're likely going to need more like 15:1 to assault without losing a third of your army.

• Locked thread