Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evilmiera posted:

I can never go back to CK2. Not because it is bad but because I can never just be happy doing a quick scenario or idea, I have to go full world conquest all the time. And now they've expanded the map again I'd feel even worse about failing.

The newest Mongol DLC will probably make it very tempting to do world conquest, so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThaumPenguin posted:

Should we add something about interesting starts or newbie-friendly start locations and stuff like that?

I think new players could benefit from knowing what would be a good start location and such, so they don't end up in Ireland in 867, or in southern England anno 1066 or literally anywhere near the Seljuks.

The Crusader Kings 2 tutorial LP is great in that regard, and should definitely be added to the OP.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The last thread was made when The Old Gods came out. We had Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India, Charlemagne and Way of Life after that. It was time for a new thread with up to date OP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Anybody else hate it when you are on your normal tour raiding the rich Byzantine coastline, and they once again have a massive civil war with several dozen armies swarming all over the place? How is a viking supposed to make a living under these conditions?!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aschlafly posted:

The seduction mechanics in this game are messed up, IMO. "Seduction focus" characters always end up with ten million bastards and their wives finding out and hating them.

The other day I had finally cheesed ultimogeniture (bed unmarried genius courtiers, then marry a widow too old to bear children) enough to get myself a great heir (legitimized an attractive genius bastard, gave him a grey eminence education). I had promised to land him, so I figured I'd give him one of the less developed counties in my demesne. I even set him up with a great genius wife from a useful ally. My character was old (70, I think), so I knew soon I'd get to rule glorious Éire as my excellent bastard.

I flashed over to my character before the reaper came. Huh, what's this malus lurking in the corner? Adulterer? Huh. That's odd, but I guess it's not insurmountable––adulterer penalties go away after ten years or so. Incestuous adulterer?!?!? My God, kid, what the gently caress have you been up to? Oh, I see. Seduction focus, four legitimized bastards, something like a -600 opinion from the wife. Well, poo poo. Wait a sec, who's your spymaster? You made your genius wife who hates you your spymaster? Oh, great, she's with child now! What do you think are the odds it's yours, idiot?

What was supposed to be a nice, easy few decades of expanding, developing my demesne, and securing a solid heir for the next generation have quickly devolved into a frantic race to kill my heir's wife before she can kill or cuckold him.

e: It's also struck me as a bit odd how little crown authority it requires to switch to ultimogeniture and how much it requires to get primogeniture, unless of course you switch to primo as a duke (no CA requirement). I guess it makes sense from a game design perspective; primo enables you a little more certainty and stability, whereas ultimo leaves the very real risk that your wife will pop out a terrible heir at the last minute and you'll just have to make do through sixteen years of regency. Otherwise it's strange.

The lessons is, as always, to never land your heir unless absolutely necessary.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shadeoses posted:

We got your regular northern savages

Your green savages

(half the time I just scroll through courtiers looking for funny names)

Other guys

Many elves

(still think adding them was a mistake)

Not pictured: skeleton dudes, lizard dudes, arabian dudes, pirates, etc

What's the name of this mod?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

More claims confusion: as the King of Eire, I've gained two of the three counties in the de jure Duchy of Galloway, with only the county of Galloway itself left in Scottish control. I assumed that if I created the Duchy of Galloway I'd be able to make a de jure claim on the County of Galloway, but I can't. What have I missed? Can I not make a de jure Ducal claim as a King?

You should absolutely be able to press a de jure claim for the county of Galloway if you create/usurp the duchy, even as a king. Are you sure the count of Galloway is a vassal of the Scottish king?

Eric the Mauve posted:

No. You own the Duchy of Galloway de facto, but it's still de jure Scotland's and will remain so until you've controlled it for 100 years. To the contrary, the king of Scotland will still have de jure kingdom claims on the two counties you hold.

You are wrong, if he owns the Duchy of Galloway then he is the de jure liege of the count of Galloway, and the King of Scotland is also the de jure liege of the count of Galloway. These two de jure claims don't negate each other, they can both be pressed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

I'm fairly sure Galloway is part of Scotland, I'll have to check when I'm back at my PC.

I just did a quick test, started as WIlliam the Conqueror in the second 1066 bookmark. I used the console to give me the two counties of the Duchy of Strathclyde that the Scottish king didn't control, then I created the duchy. I was able to press the de jure claim on the county of Clysedale without any problems.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

Is there a good way to remove vassals who are no longer useful without making everyone hate you? I would like to land some more claimants to my court without depleting my demense. I know I can go 2-for-1 by fabricating a claim and giving an invited claimant that land but even at 20% chance/year, that's unreliable.

Once you inevitably catch them plotting against you, you can try to imprison them. If they escape and raise their flag in rebellion, you can strip them of one title for free after you have beaten them.

If you play Muslim, just manage your decadence and then take the special decision to declare a fatna against relatively decadent vassals, which gives you a free revocation as well.

You can also plot to take away somebody's lands if they hold territory outside their de jure duchy (if they are dukes) or kingdom (if they are kings).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Popular Thug Drink posted:

are merchant families locked into agnatic-cognatic? i changed secession law in the republic to cognatic, now it looks like my first child (daughter) will inherit the patricianship while my second child (son) will inherit all the castles and cities i've collected

if i have to i'll just cheat the change back but my eldest is pretty cool, she's a brave fortune builder with five virtues and my eldest son is strong but ill and cowardly

If I recall correctly, then merchant republics are hardcoded to agnatic, meaning no woman can ever inherit the republic. I don't know how you managed to chance the secession law to cognatic. If you did it through the console, you will probably experience some weirdness when your character dies and the game sorts out the inheritance. Save, kill your character through the console, and see what happens.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darth Windu posted:

Well, something that breaks up non-catholic blobs then because for some reason Europe won't blob like what yet the Byzantines and Musselmen have zero problem being and staying huge.

Europe won't blob in most cases anyway, and the Byzantines are often the one thing standing between the usually even stronger Abbasids or their replacements (through decadence invasion) and non-blobbing Europe. You will wish for the times when the Byzantines were still strong when the Sunni Caliph controls everything from Spain, over North Africa and the Middle East to Greece.

And yes, it would be nice for something that breaks up these blobs. There is one such mechanic, and that the arrival of the Mongols. Of course, they can quickly turn out to be even worse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

Is there a way to filter for characters with strong claims? It would really ease things for me.

e: Also if my wife dies and my new wife has an inheritable claim, will it get passed to my kids when she dies?

Only to her kids.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

OK, that's fine. She has no kids at the moment so if my King has a kid with her, they'll have the claim and as my dynasty member will become my vassal should I get the chance to press a weak claim.

My guy is pretty old. If he dies before we have kids, would her claims just vanish?

Not if you can marry her to a younger member of your dynasty to have kids with her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Shortest Path posted:

It's 50% off, should I buy it? :ohdear:

Huh, if I remember correctly it usually goes on sale when the new DLC comes out, so maybe you should wait? But I'm not 100% sure.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ecavalli posted:

After 30 hours with CK2, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the basics, but there are a few things I still don't quite grasp.

1) What qualifications does a character need to meet to make a legitimate de jure claim on a county? Presumably, there's something simple that I'm completely overlooking, but I keep running into situations where I think I should be able to claim a nearby area, yet the CK2 UI disagrees and doesn't offer a great explanation of why I'm wrong.

Are you sure you are trying to press them against the right person? You must always try to press the claim against the top level liege. So if the king of Scotland has conquered Ulster, as the King of Ireland you must declare war against the king of Scotland to press your de jure claim, not against the count of Ulster.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Angela Christine posted:

Are you locked into Seniority Succession now as a republic? Not for Doge, but for your patrician. I could have sworn I'd had Tanistry or Elective before, but now there doesn't even seem to be an option to change succession. Stabbing your way through a bunch of old men to get to a good heir is such a hassle.

In vanilla CK2, patricians were always limited to seniority succession. But you have the "designated heir" honorary title. Whoever has this title will inherit upon your death, even if he is just 16 years old (the minimum age for honorary titles).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What year is it? The rivers start closing off after a certain point.

They close after a certain fortification level is reached in the surrounding counties. If you control both banks of the river you can still sail on it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

One other thing is that republics and sons of Abraham go hand in hand. I played republics before I had retinues and it can be done, but republics are so dependent on them that you're missing out on so much if you don't have them. If you're going to buy republic, buy SoA too.

You meant Legacy of Rome, but for everything else you are spot on. One family palace upgrade chain gives you a hefty increase in your retinue cap, while the garrison upgrade of trade posts also raise the cap. That makes it feasible to have a huge retinue that dwarfs your levy troops. That's how a one province republic with a lot of trade posts can field armies of comparable size with big empires. You really, really need Legacy of Rome if you play republics.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

verbal enema posted:

yeah I'll take a look when I get home.

If just one of your kingdoms has gavelkind, it will screw up your inheritance of all other titles.

Moon Slayer posted:

So do tribals need to be part of a reformed religion AND go feudal in order to get off of elective gavelkind? I just reformed the Romuva and I could swear the tooltip said that I'd have access to the other succession laws when I did.

Indeed, tribals can never have another succession law than elective gavelkind, just like unreformed pagans (except for Mongol ultimogeniture and Welsh tanistry). If you are an unreformed pagan tribal ruler, you need to reform the faith/change to Christian/Muslim/etc., AND you must adopt feudalism or become a merchant republic. But you can't become feudal/a doge while being an unreformed pagan anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

skasion posted:

So I invited a weak claimant to the HRE to my (Byzantine) court and matrilinear-married him to my daughter. They've now had a kid of my dynasty. I want to stab this guy so that the kid inherits the claim, which I will then press, making the HRE my vassal (because claimant is of my dynasty). Will this work, or am I misunderstanding something? Specifically I'm not sure what claims can and can't be inherited -- the tooltip is kind of confusingly worded.

It's easy to figure out. There is either "Will not be inherited unless pressed in war." in red text under "Weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire.", or "Can be inherited by successor." in green text under "Weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire.". If it's the latter, your grandchildren will inherit the claim, if it's the former they won't.

But your grandchildren won't be your vassals if you press their claim on the empire, since emperors can't be the vassal of other emperors. Instead, make one of your grandchildren your heir, (elective succession, or killing all your male children until your daughter inherits, etc.). Don't press the claim until you play the character with the claim, you will then be able to unite both realms.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There isn't even a hint that they will include China, it will probably be one of the smallest map expansions CK2 ever had.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Iceblocks posted:

I'm playing Norse Ironman. The southern Baltic coast has been under norse rule for several centuries now, though not under me, the Fylkir, and all the holding slots have been filled.

It is in the 1190's at the moment, am I just hosed out of a holy order?

Yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not comfortable with maps that don't have Africa and Greenland equally sized.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Marenghi posted:

Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

There is a way to keep your ruler 100% safe if you really want to. You know that your character will always be put in charge of one of your troops if you raise your personal levies, the only way to avoid that is if he is already the commander of another unit.

So to avoid him randomly dying on the battlefield, you park your cheapest retinue somewhere far away from all fighting, and assign your ruler as their commander. Problem solved, you only need to make sure that that unit won't fight with anybody (best park them on a province of your culture and religion with no unrest), and you have to remember to reassign your character as the commander every time your ruler dies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, there's an even easier way to do it: assign him to be the commander of any unit and then click "resign".

No, my solution is easier because you don't have to resign each time you raise your levies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky Valentine posted:

So yes we're just expanding the map into the Tarim Basin and Siberia.

Did anybody seriously expect a bigger map expansion? It was always clear that they would only expand a very small bit to better model the Mongols, adding China was always out of the question.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

In principle, the Silk Road is an awesome mechanic, a really great addition to the game. But in practical terms, is it really necessary to buff the Abbasid clown car even more?

Also, I wonder what will count as conflict for the purpose of disturbing the Silk Road, hostile armies fighting in/besieging a province? Or will being at war be enough?

What's up with the portrait borders that indicate rank? Seems like they are overhauled to be more colourful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clanpot Shake posted:

This doesn't mention anything about the retinue buildings. If I'm not going to build my cultural retinue, should I build the building?

These building can be very strong. The housecarl building gives a good bonus to heavy infantry attack. If you consider that heavy infantry will always make up the biggest share of castle troops (if you don't intentionally avoid the barracks upgrade), then this bonus is very good. On the other hand, the Ethiopian cultural building gives pure light infantry, the worst troop type. Build these only after you have build all other upgrades, because even a militia training ground is better since it gives you archers alongside the light infantry. Magyars and West Slavic cultures get light infantry + light infantry defense, which is also pretty bad.

So it all depends. The heavy infantry, longbow and non-light cavalry (knights, horse archers, etc.) buildings are very good, pikes are also okay, while light infantry and defensive light cavalry probably aren't worth the money.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

Magyars get Hussar (light cav) retinues and cultural buildings as of now, but we'll see what happens to steppe cultures after horse lords. I tend to save cultural buildings for close to last regardless, but at the end of the day, it adds troops. When it's worth your money because your other buildings are maxed and your tech level isn't going up soon, buy it, even if it's just some light infantry bullshit.

But to get back to housecarls, it adds a good amount of attack to your most important troop type. Why would you build a militia training ground before at least the first level of a housecarl training ground? The jousting list for example is probably overpriced, 15 knights +15% knights attack is likely only better than the other troop buildings once you get knights through stables. But 30 heavy infantry plus 15% attack to all your heavy infantry, when you start with 150 heavy infantry just by virtue of being a castle (and you should probably build barracks before housecarl training grounds), that's a good deal better than 80 light infantry and 10 archers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, the cultural buildings only affect the troops from that very holding. If you have two castles, one with a longbow range and one without, only the archers of that one castle will have a combat bonus.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

We have a Horse Lords release date of July 14 and a bunch of new screenshots.

July 14th, excellent.

Does anybody recognize the word that is written over the Islamic world in the government map? "IOTA"? :confused:

The "horde" replacement for retinues is interesting, though I don't know how historically accurate it is to have knights in there alongside light cavalry and horse archers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: Beaten, and by somebody who understands a lot more about these things than I do.

Ofaloaf posted:

So then, since government type is now separate from the primary holding of a province, are government types going to be determined province-by-province within the province history file of every province individually (with like an extra line added in say govtype = feudal or somesuch), or something like the technology history file, where there's a big file with some poo poo like govtype_theocracy = { d_latium d_cologne } and so forth where every landed title is entered?

Thanks to your post I took a closer look at the map and discovered shaded areas, which most likely mean that the local ruler has a different government type from his top liege. Since I have no real knowledge of modding, I can't answer your question, but could it be in some way attached to the characters? Some flag that sets them to a feudal/tribal/Muslim/etc. ruler, which is then inherited by his heir?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I wonder what kind of CB "Make Tributary" will be. Can a Catholic ruler like the Holy Roman Emperor really use this CB without restrictions against a fellow Catholic like the King of Poland?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Aren't we due another dev diary? Or is that tomorrow?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
New dev diary!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/weekly-dev-diary-8-map-changes-and-modding.866960/

We will continue to use the Rajas map, they only added 27 new counties to it. There's also a ton of new modding options that I don't understand, but will probably make the modding people very happy.

Banishing no longer confiscates all titles of the holder, he instead abdicates to his next heir. That's probably going to make North Korea mode even more difficult,

Other highlights are the option to freely move prisoners between house arrest, the dungeon and the oubliette (finally!), and an adjustment to tribal lands so that it becomes worthwhile to raid them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think you can hold Duke/King/Emperor titles if you don't have any County level titles to physically exist. That's one of the few ways you can destroy titles without actually doing so yourself.

She should have inherited the counties of her father though? It's really strange.

Farquar posted:

I'm pretty new to this game. My grandson and heir is the king of Castille and he declares war on his brother, the king of Leon. I'd like to have a bigger kingdom when I die, so I join him as an ally. Suddenly, he dies of leprosy and his brother becomes my heir. Now I'm allied with a kid at war with my own heir. Is there anything I can do to get out of this war or switch sides? The "Offer to join King Julian the Fat" button is greyed out.

I already pulled my troops out but now I'm sitting here watching my future kingdom burn. Some holdings were even occupied by me.

What kind of war is it? If your grandson had pressed a personal claim on his brother, it should have ended with his death. And who is the new guy on whose side you are fighting on? He must somehow be allied to you as well, or you would have left he war.

It's unlikely that you can get out of the war, simply stop fighting for them and hope they lose.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They're tenacious fuckers, I've gotten them in Taurica before.

Vikings in India are very strange, since you can't sail there at all if you don't own land around the Arabian Sea.

Vikings in Taurica are normal, since you can just sail down the big rivers in the Eastern European steppe. In fact, when I'm playing Norse in that time frame, I often alternate between raiding Byzantine and Italian lands.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shnooks posted:

How much does the weather actually effect gameplay?

Try invading Scandinavia in the winter, come back crying when counties have supply levels of 800 men, even with Military Organization 4.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Of course Svipjod is a good start, in addition to all you've said, your son is Ragnar Lodbrok and will automatically gain the strong trait.

I have the feeling Horse Lords will make playing tribals really boring once you've played the awesome horde chiefs with their much better unique mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^ There are no cultural requirements for empires anymore.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lol my emperor got the nickname The Hammer before age 12 by usurping the kingdoms of Lombardy and Burgundy and singlehandedly repelling a Jihad for Syria. Kid owns.

As an aside, is it possible to hold multiple empire titles? I control all of Italy and Sicily but it's not letting me create Italia. Is it because I appointed Exarchs? I'm also getting close to controlling enough to make the Arabian empire.

Italia has special creation conditions. Namely, you must control the kingdoms of Italy and Sicily, and control another, third kingdom title as well. The requirement to hold two kingdom titles to create a generic empire is waved when you are already an emperor, but in Italia's case you absolutely must control these kingdoms. So perhaps you haven't created Italy or Sicily yet? If you do, then perhaps you have to hold them personally. Wait until your exarchs die and try to create the empire again if you want to.

But it's generally never a good idea to control more than one empire. It's better to let all other kingdoms drift into your already existing empire.

• Locked thread