Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Aw I was too late to the name suggestion party. My suggestion would have been:

Crusader Kings II: Beware of the Kira-Kithan, they are without honor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Thank god for the new thread

Wrong Deity.
You shall suffer the Wrath of Zun! INTO THE PIT WITH HIM!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Maduo posted:

Oh hey, new thread.

This might be a dumb question but is there any easy way to get heresies to port over to EU4? I've been playing a Shattered World game where Persia has gone fully Yazidi and the rest of the muslim world is Zikri, but they both just get ported over as boring ol' Sunni when I try. The most I've been able to glean from googling is that I might need Sons of Abraham to make it work but I wanted to ask before I buy it.

Own Sons of Abraham or mod the converter
Note though that most of the heresies don't get any interesting. I don't think I've added unique bonuses to Yazidi or Zikri but I don't remember for sure. I mostly did unique bonuses for the Christian religions.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 7, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hey Groogy, are you going to take another shot at converting development levels now that EUIV has a new development system?

Nah the core problem still remains and that is the flatness of CK2 at the end game. EU4 was never the problem but the problem was that no matter what I did the provinces would end up with way too high/low values and very very flat.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

evilmiera posted:

Oh, well, the latest patch just broke all my exported saves, so I guess that's that.

Patch should be up any minute

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Freudian posted:

There's a bunch of typos in that diary, groogy, it keeps saying Khan instead of Khal :colbert:

Doomdark wrote it this time, not me :P
I made all of the features that he talks about in that diary though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Long live the thread!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

It's 50% off, should I buy it? :ohdear:

Yes

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Sounds like a bug in the AI that evaluates if they will be inheritors with a given succession type.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deific Presence posted:

Makes me think that it will get nerfed in the next DLC...

Actually I think I accidentally buffed them (if you have your capital in India)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/weekly-dev-diary-6-tributaries-and-more.863594/

quote:

Greetings, fellow gamers! Today's Horse Lords dev diary is about Tributary states, Succession in Nomad realms and Dynamic Mercenaries... but let us start with Tributary states!

The Crusader Kings vassalage system has served us fairly well, but in our design discussions, we often return to the problem of "degree"; that is, what are the terms of the contract, exactly? How tight should the contract be in non-Feudal realms, etc. Various improvements have been suggested, such as a "vassalage strength" value (a bit similar to Crown Authority, but for each vassal.) However, most of these ideas stumble on their complexity and the required amount of micro-management. When we were talking about the Nomads of the steppes, though, we really needed a looser type of subordination than outright vassalage. That is why we decided to introduce the concept of Tributaries (which we originally conceived of as a Nomad-only power, but soon chose to make available to all rulers as long as you have the expansion.)

In Horse Lords, there are two new Casus Bellis related to Tributaries; "Make Tributary" and "Free Tributary" (doing exactly what they sound like.) On the map, the names of Tributary states are no longer shown, though they retain their own colors in the Realms map mode. Tributaries pay a monthly tax to their suzerain and cannot refuse the suzerain's call to wars. However, the suzerain is also expected to protect their tributaries. Apart from this, tributaries are still autonomous. A tributary can only have one suzerain (though the suzerain can be a regular vassal of another ruler's.) The tributary status ends on the death of either ruler, and tributaries can declare wars to free themselves, of course...

Now, let us return to the steppes and talk a bit about their unique form of succession... In reality, this was a complex matter that could be represented in many different ways, but since we already have various elective forms of succession, we decided to make it a bit less direct and more distinct (and no, it is not the horrible Ultimogeniture.:)) In short, among Nomads, the most prestigious son or brother inherits. Minors can inherit Clan rule, but not the tribal Khaganate. Prestige, you say? But isn't that a bit boring? Yes, the player should get some control over the choice of heir. That's why we are introducing the concept of Dynamic Mercenaries.

What you do, as a Nomad ruler, is send out your most promising sons and brothers to prove their mettle in the wide world. They will then take some of your Manpower and appear as a Mercenary Band, available for hire by rulers in the general region. As they earn money, the size of their regiment will increase. There are various new events for them as they experience adventures in the court of their employer, on distant battlefields, etc. You will receive notifications about the more significant escapades, and if you happen to be their employer, you are also likely to get some fascinating interactions. In general, dynamic mercenaries tend to increase their skills and gain Prestige, but it is, of course, also a dangerous life... The idea is to foster a strong heir by letting them prove their worth and gain enough Prestige to succeed you.

The system with dynamic mercenaries is currently locked to Nomads only, but it is very easy to mod and we are likely to expand on it in future expansions. That's all for now folks. Next week; the Silk Road and Raiding Adventurers!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

What if we had feast plots that were surprise birthday parties.

I like the idea

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If you guys need some music to get inspired for Horse Lords I just found the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el93MIxAf-c

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Aren't we due another dev diary? Or is that tomorrow?

Tomorrow

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

I think someone else asked this earlier, but I'm really curious as to what constitutes being "caught in the conflict" for Silk Road routes. Just the owner being at war at all (even if they're the aggressor/the fighting is happening elsewhere), there being an army in that province, that province having been captured, or what? Hopefully it's not just "the owner is at war".

Province is under siege or has fallen under control of someone who is not the owner (won siege)

This includes raiders

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Excelzior posted:

oh man keep nerfing North Korea mode guys it's totally not a colossal waste of everyone's time when you spend man-hours on preventing a specific subgroup of players from ENJOYING THEMSELVES, usually resulting in unintended disadvantages for every single other player as the "world conquest players" just loving route around your latest roadblock.

North Korea is still a thing?
Not why we did it but if you wanna qq for it go ahead

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would like to see a video of this, please

Ive done "almost world conquer" (almost because when you are stronger then everybody by a large margin it becomes too boring and I drop) several times, but never in less then 200-300 years (never used "NK mode" either).

He didn't do NK mode either but he has played the game since before its was released. A lot of balancing has been done thanks to him, if you know Peter Ebbesen for EU franchise, he is that for CK2.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

How? You wouldn't even be able to siege all the provinces in 3-8 years.

Not calling you a liar just wow is all.

Because of how CK2 war system work, you don't need to.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Back To 99 posted:

HIP has a lot of problems, but it has so much more content than boring vanilla that you're the dumb one for not playing it.

Yes because I am so incredibly interested in my Character's every day life... like brushing his teeth....
But more content directly correlates to fun right? Even if that content would boil down to a detailed event chain of how your king copes with his violent diarrhea.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Keeper Garrett posted:

Does doing that editing affect iron man?

Everything you can do after you hit play is Ironman compatible, including customization of your titles and dynasty. You can get the Khan of Khans achievement all while having renamed the Borjigin dynasty to Dickbutts
The only thing that blocks achievements are the ruler designer.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Coward posted:

I've forgotten how the Workshop works - can it be reported?

Yes it can, and I'm a moderator on Paradox workshops and I'm checking our policies right now in regards to this because holy crap
I like torture and stuff in the game but directly targeting rape is a bit too far, we draw the line at hinting on it in CK2.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Out of curiosity/for reference, what's the opinion modifier for taking someone unwilling/that you've imprisoned as a concubine? Pretty sure it's far higher than -30, which is insultingly low. (Also pretty much an example of rape in the game itself, though one that as Groogy says isn't as explicit as a "rape this person" decision.)

Its the "Abduction" modifier and I think its -50 opinion and every single family member also hates your guts.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Does that count as a valid duel reason?

It will in a patch or two.... maybe

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bel Monte posted:

What's with the whole werewolf thing lately? Is there something I don't know about from steppe nomad cultures/Mongols? Wouldn't surprise me since I know nothing about them. Plus, wouldn't that be a sort of Norse thing Myth-wise?

We did a reference to it in the latest dev diary

quote:

Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.

And no I won't tell you the details except that it awesome. If you wanna know more you gonna need to wait until the 14th.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 11, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

WilliamAnderson posted:

Hey, if I make sure to roll back to the previous version when the patch drops tomorrow, can I still play on it for achievements? Still trying to finish a Roman Empire run.

Yes you can

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Can somebody tell me what the performance improvements / optimizations were supposed to be about? As a quick test, I ran a game in observer mode from the Stamford Bridge bookmark to 1.1.1170 on speed 5, and it took 2:20 in 2.3.6 as well as 2.4.1, so I'm not noticing anything unless it's just long-term improvements that make the game run better in longer-running saves.

It depends on the machine, most of my optimizations that are immediately noticeable are improvements by making stuff more multi-threaded which means if you are running a old laptop with dual-core(if anyone still runs that which I doubt) you are probably not going to benefit that much until you get later into the game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fuligin posted:

The one really annoying thing so far is that warring on the steppe is still an incredible pain in the rear end, I wonder if you could mod it so that nomad gov armies composed primarily of cavalry get a huge movement speed boost on steppe/plains provinces.

There are nomad buildings that give you a pretty good movement speed bonus

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Which is a shame because it looks a lot of fun so far from what I've seen. I really love a lot of the quality of life changes too, especially the new graphics for the roles that people have.

Report it on the Pdx bug forum with steps to reproduce please

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My Horse Lords experience so far:

game CTDs on launch six times in a row. When it finally starts working, I start a Turkestan game and immediately get dogpiled by three different people, at which point the game crashed.

Paradox.txt

You're a modder right if I remember correctly? If you modify any game files Steam refuses to touch those files forever and you have to delete them manually and tell steam to download them again.

e: Also CK2 doesn't have EU4's anti-mod crash thing where it checks so mods are up to date so make sure all mods are disabled. Will probably try and get that in next patch.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 14, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nope. Mods caused too many problems so I removed them all. There might be a few leftover files hiding in weird places making a mess though? I thought I'd got rid of everything.

Well if you have modified something manually that is usually the culprit. Try verify integrity, if that doesn't do it, clean reinstall and if that still fucks up then give me some steps to reproduce on Pdx Bug forum.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You also gain tech points by making feudals your tributary states.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Keeper Garrett posted:

My tech tree has completely been filled many thousands of times over, or it is empty by thousands of times, I can't tell. I'm making like a million gold a month and my prestige and score are in the negative hundreds of thousands....

Ironman saves were broken in this patch

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fuligin posted:

I'd wait. The mechanics are fun but it's very ctd prone at the moment.

It is? Only thing I've seen are CTD's caused by mods or corrupt game folders (i.e quick and dirty modding).
I would love to know what you do to consistently make the game CTD?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fuligin posted:

I stopped playing for today because in my game as a horde to settled Kkhanate it keeps ctding within a few years of my last save. I've had one or two crashes on startup, and in my Karakhanid game in which I was killed off very quickly by neighbors it ctd'd when I tried to exit from the retirement menu. I'll pay closer attention to see if I can pinpoint exactly what the error is for my save, but I'm not running any mods or using console or anything.

Report it on the Pdx bug forum

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also also, I just ran a pair of hands-off test games in 2.3.6 and 2.4.1 for 150 years each, trying to see what Groogy's performance gains have amounted to. The results are... not reassuring:

Tell me what kind of setup you have

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Right, sorry, forgot. Win 7 64-bit Pro, i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114MHz Core/1753MHz Memory.

e: Something odd did happen in the 2.3.6 game: the Abbablob exploded. Maybe that cut down on castration madness?

Shouldn't matter, from what I can see with that setup you should be doing about 20-25 ticks a second unless I'm missing something. I have a i5-3570k at same speed but less cores and I do a month in ~1 second and a full year in ~12-13

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think so. Happened again - the new guy has a martial of 15, which is at least decent, and the weakness penalty is now -533. Seems like a bug.

No is working as designed, it is the being at peace for too long modifier which for Nomads are applied to the nomad opinions as "Weakness".

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

:stare:

So I'm out by a factor of three? That's... there's got to be something weird going on here. Do I need to delete the cache? Do a clean reinstall? Could it be a driver problem? I haven't got a SSD, but it shouldn't be doing any loading anyway.

Wait, wait, hang on. When is that 20 t/s coming from? Just the opening year after you unpause? The game runs very very fast at that point, but performance drops off sharply afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if I was getting performance like that in the first couple of years.

Maybe? I did two types of tests, one that was over 10 years span when game started and one with late game saves tests with also a 10 year span and both had improved significantly. If you let the game run any longer than even 5 years the random factor becomes too apparent and you can't deduce anything sensible from it. For instance I had a variance of ~12 seconds each run of 10 years, meaning that it could go either ~12 seconds faster or slower each time I ran depending on what the AI decided to do. However I would say the Abbasids splitting up should from the data crunching I did actually speed up your game since it means technically there are fewer realms in the world (this also counts each sub-realm)

I have a question, were you running with Autosaves and how often did it do autosaves? Because I believe with autosaves on they stand for more than 50% of the time for a year to pass. Luckily a few days ago I came up with a good way to optimize the saving process so we'll see if I get time in the near future to implement it.

Also a thing I noticed but wasn't really part of performance test was that my hands off overnights would cover several hundreds of years more than it did before. Either way I still have more stuff I can make better, right now I'm working on a new technique I call optimization through genocide (inspired from the mod that adds a decision that cleans out characters, difference is this will be completely unnoticeable to the player)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Autosaves: every five years. It didn't seem to take that long- I didn't time that specifically, but eyeballing it the "autosaving" message couldn't have been on screen for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Is the autosave process doing something in the background while the game is ticking forwards? This was uncompressed autosaves, btw.

Hmmm 5 years autosaves should be fine, it still affects the result but it shouldn't affect it that much

But 5 hours just to pass 40 years? That feels like a huge exaggeration or the guy was playing on speed 1 or something. Even the slowest beta when I got his results from his craptop which didn't even meet CK2's minimum specs could still cover 40 years faster than that.

• Locked thread