Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are there any start dates/realms where you begin as a child with a regency?

I realize most people hate regencies but I enjoy how they manage to bungle everything. Could be interesting if I couldn't start enacting the master plan right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I see with the DLC patch you can toggle some features on or off, do you have to buy the DLC for that or is it included for everyone?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone have suggestions for mods for a co-op/multiplayer game (or suggestions to avoid mods)? For example I kind of want to to use CK2+, as all the additions are cool and good but it does slow the game down so I'm not sure it would be great for a multiplayer game.

A few friends are looking at starting a multiplayer game where we can move the save file around depending on who may be playing that day. None of us are hardcore CK2 players.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Considering picking up more DLC, sell me on one of the following: Conclave or Monks an Mystics

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any recommend mods for changing crusades? I do like the changes CK plus makes, but this is for a multiplayer game and I feel it slows the pace down too much.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Baconomics posted:

Rebels and Warmongers provides some very good changes to warfare with a ton of battle-related events, making them something more than mashing stacks together. It's definitely good.

This mod looks cool, but also looks like it makes a ton of changes. Any particular ‘gotchas’ to be aware of?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How does the Rival/Adversary system work? I poked around on the wiki and didn't see anything.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I've never played but just bought it because it was on sale and I've heard everyone talking about it for awhile. Plus I haven't played a big strategy game in ages.

Any DLC I shouldn't miss, or should I just play a bit with the vanilla game?

If you've never played the game you can just do Way of Life and you are set. People played and loved the base game for hundreds of hours before any DLC even existed. You can always grow your DLC collection later, it goes on sale every 3 months or so.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the DLCs lets you give orders to your allies.

uhhhh which one is that?

edit: oh looks like its Monks and Mystics

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I still don't think I 'get' how military/armies work in this game but I'm having fun!

Sounds appropriate for most rulers of the time.

Didn't stop them, don't let it stop you!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Have the devs mentioned any sort of timeline for the new dlc?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nam Taf posted:

It's really not a 4X game in that regard. It's much more based on opinions, political intrigue and dynastic maneuvering.

I broke the back of understanding this game by just binge-watching 8 hours of some dude's 25-part tutorial series when I was really hungover one day. It gave me enough understanding to at least jump back to his vid a couple of times to clarify how things worked, but otherwise play it myself and fail gracefully and in a way that I actually learned something from failing. I would suggest learning that way, but flailing about is also fine. Just focus more on your character than your towns, though I do try to give some attention to two factors of my towns: 1) the amount of total levy I can raise (in this game raw numbers counts more than anything), and 2) tax income

edit: To actually answer your question #3 (which will help also give context for 1 and 2), if you have a vassel in charge of a town/castle/bishopric, they'll spend money and upgrade it themselves. The only ones you need to really care about are your own directly controlled ones - the castle in your capital, and any other castles in counties you directly control (i.e. don't have a vassel looking after it).

To answer #1 and #2, focus on your capital and the others you may directly control, and look to focus upgrades mostly on the aformentioned important factors. But really, upgrading your townships is really relatively low on the priority list compared to managing vassels, etc. (the exception to this may be early on, if you're trying to get enough numbers to raid a county nextdoor to you).

What tutorial series is that? Mind linking it if you remember which one you watched?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone have some YouTube’s or other guides to help branching out from Catholic Europe? Never played as Muslims or Vikings for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I guess I was confused on the new random modes they are adding. I thought one of them was a random landmass, but that doesn’t appear to be an option.

• Locked thread