Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry if this goes somewhere else. I searched the forums for a GIMP or Software questions thread and couldn't find anything.

Anyway, whenever I open a animated gif in gimp it does this automatic optimization thing and removes the things that don't change in subsequent frames. This is great for reducing the file size but it makes editing the gif far more complicated. Is there anyway to disable this?

Thanks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What version of GIMP are you using? I just launched v2.8 here and opened a GIF, and it didn't do anything to the image. I did launch it under Linux, but in my experience it behaves the same under Windows.

How big a file is the GIF you opened? It isn't something ridiculously huge, is it?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Gimp 2.8 in Windows.

I've noticed it does this with a handful of gifs but not every single one. :shrug: The first frame is always perfect but the subsequent frames are missing data. I'm assuming that GIMP is removing data that doesn't change because it still animates perfectly.

Examples:

Here's how one frame in the last one looks zoomed in.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 6, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wonder if launching GIMP and then choosing "Open As Layers" to open the GIF might get around this behavior - it might be worth trying.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wonder if launching GIMP and then choosing "Open As Layers" to open the GIF might get around this behavior - it might be worth trying.

Yeah I tried that earlier and it didn't work. :sigh:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 6, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A quick search points to GIMP's differencing engine selecting the pixels which can be dropped, and I don't see an obvious toggle for this setting in the preferences. I'm not sure if using another application to open the image and change the color profile would make any difference, but might give it a shot. If the ones that keep the full background have one color profile and the problem ones another then that might be a jumping off point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
:ughh: I just discovered the unoptimize button. That fixed it.

Thanks.

• Locked thread