Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I'd like to request Gaia Crusaders, which is probably one of the best beat-em-ups that nobody's ever heard of. My favorite part is that your playable characters range from Standard Male Beat-Em-Up Protagonist #47 to an ambiguously Asian mystic-type person to a robo-lady, and another cool thing about it is that one of the creators of Golden Axe, Rieko "Phoenix Rie" Kodama, worked on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Eagerly awaiting the day when you get to my request of Gaia Crusaders. Seriously, it's a really great beat-em-up that's so damned obscure that sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who knows it exists.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

I don't mean to be impolite, but y'all haven't forgotten about Gaia Crusaders, have you?

(Yes, I'm from the American South, sometimes my accent sneaks into my typing)

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game so far. It gets pretty wild later on, so it'll be fun to see you react to that stuff. I'd never actually played it in two-player mode so I never knew that it had friendly fire - though I'm not sure if you hitting each other actually did damage or not.

You probably already recorded all of it and are editing & uploading it after the fact, but here's something you might have missed: each character is associated with an element (some are associated with two), and when you pick up and use a magic orb that lines up with those element(s), you get the big screen-clearing Golden Axe-style magic attacks. All other orbs cause them to do fighting game-esque special attacks.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

I also found out there's a Hard Head bootleg called "Popper". . . We will never escape Hard Head.

I don't know who in the unholy gently caress would think that making a bootleg version of Hard Head (of all games!) is a good idea, but I don't think I'd want to run into them in a dark alley. Hell, not even in a well-lit alley. They probably have at least one disease, if not more.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Well here comes Gaia Crusaders part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANdFc2VWQI

This one we delve into just how horrible of people we all really are.

I had almost forgotten about that weird cybernetic-ogre-torso-sticking-out-of-a-hole-in-the-ground boss. And yeah, the robo-lady's unenthusiastic kicks are great.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

I'm kind of sad that you didn't get to see some of the really wild poo poo that comes up near the end of the game, but you gave it the old college try and that's all I could really ask for.

The next time you're in the mood to record a beat-em-up, give Denjin Makai 2, a.k.a. Guardians a try. It's arguably even weirder than Gaia Crusaders. I know you guys probably won't get around to playing it any time soon what with the size of your backlog, but I'll be happy to see you try it all the same.

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 25, 2016

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Do y'all think you'll get to Denjin Makai 2/Guardians anytime soon? I'm eager to see what you think of it, especially compared to the fever dream that was Gaia Crusaders.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Here's an unusual Konami puzzle type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05o2ic99bc

It's called "Let's Attack Crazy Cross" and seems to allude to a bunch of story that doesn't make any loving sense.

It's a sequel. The first game was just called Crazy Cross, and the series as a whole is known as Taisen Puzzle-Dama (literally "Battle Puzzle Balls") in Japan. "John Wang Jiro" is a mistranslation of John Wanjiro, a character from the first game who is a dog-ified version of Japanese historical figure "John" Manjiro Nakahama.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Man, I don't know how you guys know about this stuff, but I feel like we're posers coming in and playing all these arcade games and spouting our ignorance about everything.

Well, to be fair, Taisen Puzzle-Dama is super loving obscure on the English-speaking interwebs (and the Crazy Cross games, despite being the English localizations of the first two, aren't much better). The only reason I was able to figure out the John Wang Jiro thing is because I used to play that mobile game Monster Strike. (A bunch of the characters in it are based off of historical figures, one of which being John Manjiro, so when I saw "John Wang Jiro" I thought it sounded familiar. I then did some quick Googling which lead me to make my previous post.)

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Alright Simon the Digger, you asked for it months ago. . . Here's Guardians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV4ppjrCXx0

Sorry about the wait. If we were able to meet up more than like 3 times a year to record these things, we could put out like 2 episodes a day and get these bad boys up sooner for you guys.

It was everything I could have hoped for and more. I highly encourage you (if you haven't already recorded all of these episodes) to try out every character; they're all either pretty cool (like Kurokishi, the blonde lady you used in this episode) or weird as hell, as you saw with Tulks and his dick-mounted gun holster and flaming sandal kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

And here's the rest of Guardians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAiOi5qVLw

We played a few other characters, but not the entire cast, I believe.

It's a shame you guys couldn't get any farther but it was a pretty good showing regardless.

If you guys are ever in the mood for another weird, surprisingly well-animated beat-em-up, there's always Undercover Cops, by Irem, and developed by the team that would eventually go on to make Metal Slug.

• Locked thread