Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Choco1980 posted:

It's been several years since I visited it, and last time it seemed slightly more "traditional" in its game choices, but that arcade I mentioned before with all the weird and probably illegal in this country Japanese games had some really goofy gimmick ones. I remember there was a music game ala Guitar Hero where you waved your hands in front of panels, essentially making it a "Theramin Hero" game. Also I remember a cool motion-based boxing game where you stuck these controller-gloves on and actually bobbed and weaved to dodge incoming punches as well as punched at air to hit your opponent. It was an incredible workout actually.

I think the Theramin Hero game was ParaParaParadise which works the way you describe. The idea is it's supposed to be like dancing at a rave. It was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

From what I understand that is the law of the land in the Japanese game market these days, they're just the main way to be profitable.

I'm pretty sure Sammy is and always has been a pachinko machine maker first and foremost. Arcade games and later home games were more of a side business.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

That Achie poo poo is almost Moral Orel season three hosed up.

Archie is slowly morphing from idealized Americana to a dark parody of idealized Americana. They are also developing a tv drama off Archie called Riverdale, the showrunner has said the shows primary inspiration is Twin Peaks.

As a request I suggest odd product of it's times, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

It's literally coming, in my case. (I liked BB a whole bunch you see.)

Yeah, Senkyu ended up being my jam so hard that it basically obliterated our dollar formula; I was able to play for so long that we ended up with probably more than an hour of footage, so we're figuring out how to go about presenting the playthrough. Also I think there was some kind of audio issue that we're remedying? As we gain experience with the recording equipment etc we have had some frustrating and hilarious glitches come up.

SPEAKING OF THINGS GOING WRONG, today's vid is CarnEvil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9E--fL0xk

Light gun games are all fine and good, but where did they get off charging 50 cents a run on this?

Arcade opperators can set the price of games using the dip switch settings. This game just seemed to ship set at 50¢ a credit, probably because at that point arcades were barely still a thing and a quarter wasn't much.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Aces High posted:

Wow so how do you win that Jurassic Park game on only 1 dollar? It didn't seem like there were any ways to stun lock the T-Rex or to stop any of the herds of dinos.

Were a lot of these older arcade boxes designed to just take your money? I mean I understand that they need to take your money but a lot of these seem to go a step beyond "Nintendo Hard"

Yes, remember "Nintendo hard" was in large part because original nes games were copying the structure of arcade games. Hell, a lot of the games from the 80's and early 90's would just straight up drain your health constantly (the amount being set by the arcade operator). So even if you played perfectly, you would still eventually die.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AMovieReference posted:

I looked into it, and I think he was thinking about Final Fight, which was supposed to be the real sequel to Street fighter. They ended up deciding that the game should be it's own game and made the series separate, until they made SF:Alpha that is, where the brought the majority of the Final Fight cast into the SF universe.

Street Fighter 2010 is another off shoot from the series though, Capcom was making a bunch of weird poo poo back then.

Street Fighter 2010 was not actually a Street Fighter game. It was a generic sidescroller in Japan (with unrelated name), that was ported right when Street Fighter 2 was red hot in America. Consequently, Capcom USA changed the name, put in a paragraph in the instruction book about how Ken was the protagonist, and cashed in.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The reason Capcom USA changed the name of Gouki to Akuma is they wanted to emphasize the character being this evil force (Akuma means devil in Japanese). Ironically enough, Akuma is really more of immoral than outright evil. Unlike Dictator, for example.

For Charlie/Nash, they resolved that one simply enough. The character's full name is Charlie Nash so referring to either is correct.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Choco1980 posted:

Bart Vs the Space Mutants has a lot of good ideas (fun fact--the purple bit is only the first level--each level has a different thing the aliens are after, like hats for example) but it ended up being one of the most obtuse and not at all intuitive games for the entire system. It's really poorly utilized yet ambitiously designed. Watching someone who's GOOD at the game is fun and interesting.

It could be worse, they followed up that on the NES with Simpsons World Tour which is like "we didn't play test this at all" the NES game, and is pure rear end.

One funny thing with Bart vs Space Mutants is the various gimmicks and secrets were dense in the first level, sparser in the second, and basically disappeared beyond the third. They tried to do a huge amount, with a large inventory with a bunch of context specific uses in a sidescroller, but ended up with a convoluted mess. They also had a soundclip of bart saying eat my shorts when he died which was very impressive for the NES.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

A special guest appears in what I believe to be another FredMSloniker request, Zero Wing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovKb60mTTA

There's no all your base! Was that only from the console version or what?

To think it's all come full circle; that particular meme originated from the Something Awful forums did it not?

Yeah, the poorly translated cutscenes were only in the genesis port.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Having looked up Toki, the spitting monkey game, I would like to add it as a request. You play as a spitting monkey, what's not to love.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I'm pretty sure the early mac game you were thinking of was Power Pete. It's also a game were the main character is a toy fighting/rescuing other toys.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I requested Toki a while back, but I don't see it on the list.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Bars and titty clubs.

Arcade games were not just at arcades. A lot of different types of establishments would have 1 or 2.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I would like to put in a request for Forgotten Worlds, if you are taking them at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Hatris might be the most boring looking game of the entire thread. I can't imagine anyone playing that for more than a minute.

• Locked thread