Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Ah, Growl...it's part of the Taito Classics Collection. Quite indiscriminate the way it handles the poacher problem. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs probably explained the subject better, and also included hilarious mutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Lemma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4t9KLWH7k

This week we start on Gauntlet Legends. All the games we do are coinop, but in case you need reference this is the one that was ported to N64. We struggle through the easiest dungeon because the only thing we are worse at than self preservation is teamwork.

Edit: goddamn, near exactly simultaneous post. Oh well. Just goes to reinforce my statement about teamwork.

This game is still poorly documented in way of strategy guides and source art. It'll be good to shed more light on this lost gem.

Also: Pojo.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"Come with me if you want to...erm...survive. Yeah. That's another movie. Sorry about that. That muscular dude looked like the one who was screaming to get to the chopper so I kinda just did a brain-fart there. So...um...wanna hang out, puny humans? Hunt some aliens?"

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

I think everything in this series was leading up to this epicness of the game that is Trio The Punch.

I should say that you handled it much better than most people I've seen play it.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm thinking Crisis Zone would be a literal bitch to play on an emulator, as would games that SERIOUSLY relied on the gun peripheral such as Silent Scope or Gunblade. I remember putting dollars into that game and my hands would be shaking for about ten minutes afterwards.

As for suggestions, I do think there's a few beat em ups that need to be experienced, such as The Ninja Kids (Bad translations and I think your characters are ninja marionettes, I dunno, it's not explained very well) and B. Rap Boys (The literal sequel to DJ Boys, only with more male dancers and slightly less implied racism).

Also, NARC. I'm thinking you gotta do NARC.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

AMovieReference posted:

Thanks for all the support guys. It's always kinda cool to realize that someone out there is watching. . . By choice. . . I assume.

Hey, patience is a virtue after all, and I've liked all the ones I've seen so far.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Glad we got around to Ninja Kids. It's all that TMNT arcade magic filled with...erm...you know...creepy puppet thingies and such.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Okay, just if you're adding a few more games to the mix:

Violent Storm. A Konami beat-em-up that's horribly overlooked. It's part of the Vendetta series, so there's plenty of humor thrown around, and one of the minibosses is a goblin engineer with a giant ticket clicker.

Joe & Mac Returns. Why I'm recommending the sequel instead of the original (which is usually listed as Caveman Ninja) is because this is a more compact game and can probably be beaten in under an hour if you have two fairly competent fellows at the buttons. Also, cavegirls. Lots of cavegirls. Cavegirls everywhere...

I'm Sorry. It's like Pac-Man, except you are a corrupt Japanese politician trying to collect his golds before the police comes for him. And Bill Cosby. And...Michael Jackson. Just...trust me on this one, okay?

Knuckle Bash. It's sort of fighting/beat-em-up ish. A bit more politically correct than Ninja Kids, but at least none of these guys are marionettes. Though there IS a ninja. And...I think it's an Elvis impersonator. Hey...wait...come back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Holy poo poo, NARC. The only thing even close to progressive they came anywhere near was not making all the drug monster men Black. I have never seen the Reagan era so astoundingly well distilled into media. Somebody get the film rights to this into Paul Verhoeven's hands!

Hee hee, it's a game and a half, that one. I wasted so much money on that, and only managed to beat it in the arcades twice. It's notorious for just having enemies leech your health away. I think the key is you need to keep crouch walking 85% of the time.

Also, as for later adaptations, the PS2 reboot literally ran out of cash and was shoved out the door half finished. You're basically wandering down a series of alleys that are mysteriously filled with people who you have to decide who are innocent or not. Also, you can take some of the drugs you confiscate, which...well...kinda defeats the purpose of the first game. Anyway, Michael Madsen voices the main character, which explains where MOST of the money went to.

• Locked thread