Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pohl posted:

Lol, my parents bought their house in the early 70's for $19K and they were both making about $10 or $12 bucks an hour at the time.
They were making as much then as most people are today, and you call 40K down affordable?

Your parents were dual high-income earners, the median salary in 1970 was like $8,000/year, sounds like both your parents were pushing $20,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, let's assume 50 workweeks a year at 40 hours a week: For $10 for each that's an income of $40,000 a year in let's say 1973 dollars, or $48,000 if they were both making $12 an hour.

$40,000 a year in 1973 = $213,152.25 in 2015
$48,000 a year in 1973 = $255,782.70 in 2015

And just for funsies, assuming it was really only one parent working full time at all: $20,000 a year in 1973 = $106,576.13

Your folks were loving 1%ers, maybe like 5%ers at the least, Pohl, if you've given us the correct income.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, let's assume 50 workweeks a year at 40 hours a week: For $10 for each that's an income of $40,000 a year in let's say 1973 dollars, or $48,000 if they were both making $12 an hour.

$40,000 a year in 1973 = $213,152.25 in 2015
$48,000 a year in 1973 = $255,782.70 in 2015

And just for funsies, assuming it was really only one parent working full time at all: $20,000 a year in 1973 = $106,576.13

Your folks were loving 1%ers, maybe like 5%ers at the least, Pohl, if you've given us the correct income.

I probably didn't then because all I knew when I was growing up was that we were poor.
This is breaking my brain, to be honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The $19,000 house, if it was during 1973, would be $101,000 or so in today's money, if the real value had managed to not change from then to now, by the way. That's a hefty chunk of change back then.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The $19,000 house, if it was during 1973, would be $101,000 or so in today's money, if the real value had managed to not change from then to now, by the way. That's a hefty chunk of change back then.

The best part is the house isn't even payed off because they refinanced so often. :psypop:
We didn't live a good life, either, it was like constant struggle and sacrifice. I have no idea what they did with that money.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

okay fair enough, good poo poo

My point was that we are in extremely enviable positions and still only barely managed to have 40k for a downpayment before we were 30 (dual earners, both in tech fields, no kids, no real debt, had both been saving our entire lives).

Main Paineframe posted:

Do homes need to be affordable for people in their mid-twenties? As I said previously, homes are ill-suited to the needs of a generation that's mostly still at the very beginning of their careers.

Sure, maybe your situation is different and a home with a mortgage is the right thing for you (or maybe you're a special entitled snowflake and anything less than your own home just isn't good enough for you), but this thread wasn't originally about house prices in the first place - it was about why rent is so drat high, and particular why its growing so much faster than minimum wage.

I think so. I mean, I don't think everyone should buy, but I think you are divorcing "young people need to move around to build a career" and "rent is super expensive" when I think they are pretty connected. Job security has been gutted in the past few decades, and the mid to late 20s are the perfect time to have kids if that's what one wants, and kids benefit from stability and space (be that an apartment, duplex, home, whatever)

When people with capital (those largely already wealthy) can buy up multiple units and rent them on airbnb or just pay down their mortgage and enjoy the falling monthly living expense, that has an affect on the people looking to buy who don't already have large chunks of capital. I see the need to move around, and the lack of down payment money as both symptoms of our widening wealth inequality, but that's just me.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 12, 2015

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If your solution to high house prices is to keep doing what we are doing now then perhaps you should have a rethink? We've done 40 years of suburbs and local planning restrictions and ended up with hosed up cities like DC and LA.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Radbot posted:

I found it just fine, there aren't 70 homes for that price within the city of Denver, sorry.

I've been saving for about three years. I currently make ~$95k/yr W-2, and I don't want a house that's more expensive.

I can afford it just fine - I posted my salary, what's yours?

Uh...go on https://www.zillow.com search in Denver, CO, sort by cheapest, limit your search to just homes. There are a ton of used homes for under 200k, plus a ton of forclosures.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah just did a cursory Google search and during the early seventies the average home price was in the 40-50k range.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Cicero posted:

Yeah just did a cursory Google search and during the early seventies the average home price was in the 40-50k range.

This was Idaho farmland that was being cut up and sold off as cheap suburbs.
We were still close to Boise, but yeah, a house in town would have been way more expensive.

Edit: To break things up a bit, I have a friend that bought a similar house about ten years ago... old farmland converted to suburbs. It was a lovely house, cheaply built, and it flooded. It looked great, but when she moved in she realized that the cabinets in the bathroom weren't real, they just had an exterior that looked like it opened. They didn't actually open.

The entire neighborhood flooded. They built the house below the water table because no one cares. Her cheap house suddenly became a loving nightmare.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

I think so. I mean, I don't think everyone should buy, but I think you are divorcing "young people need to move around to build a career" and "rent is super expensive" when I think they are pretty connected. Job security has been gutted in the past few decades, and the mid to late 20s are the perfect time to have kids if that's what one wants, and kids benefit from stability and space (be that an apartment, duplex, home, whatever)

When people with capital (those largely already wealthy) can buy up multiple units and rent them on airbnb or just pay down their mortgage and enjoy the falling monthly living expense, that has an affect on the people looking to buy who don't already have large chunks of capital. I see the need to move around, and the lack of down payment money as both symptoms of our widening wealth inequality, but that's just me.

My point is that "rent is super expensive" and "the price of single-family standalone housing with a yard is super high" are not the same thing. They're similar, and even connected in some ways, but not every factor involved in shattering Radbot's dream of a personal tiny house is relevant to why minimum wage workers can't afford a studio apartment in the city without a few roommates, and I feel like the discussion has been leaning too much toward the former situation even though the thread was originally asking about the latter. The cost of buying a house isn't the only kind of "rent".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the price of buying a single family home isn't all that high, though. the price of all kinds of homes is high in cities because of decades of underdevelopment combined with a sustained ~20 year spike in demand for urban housing. you can still get all kinds of cheap single family homes within thirty or so miles of most american cities

the problem is entirely much higher demand because of a shift in white middle class cultural preferences back towards living in proximity to a city, combined with a number of public and private failures to meet increased demand

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the price of buying a single family home isn't all that high, though. the price of all kinds of homes is high in cities because of decades of underdevelopment combined with a sustained ~20 year spike in demand for urban housing. you can still get all kinds of cheap single family homes within thirty or so miles of most american cities

the problem is entirely much higher demand because of a shift in white middle class cultural preferences back towards living in proximity to a city, combined with a number of public and private failures to meet increased demand
Sorta. You have to consider that while it also used to be true that the cheaper houses would be farther out on cheaper land, low density development + increased population means that now those affordable areas are further away and require longer commutes, which is exacerbated by the lack of investment in transit which has resulted in traffic getting worse.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Sorta. You have to consider that while it also used to be true that the cheaper houses would be farther out on cheaper land, low density development + increased population means that now those affordable areas are further away and require longer commutes, which is exacerbated by the lack of investment in transit which has resulted in traffic getting worse.

jobs moved out to the burbs at the same time as people, so most people in the burbs don't ever actually need to go into the city. the problem is entirely because of cultural preferences among moneyed white people to rediscover that living in cities is actually good

this model that everyone works in the city is outdated, in most american metropoles you'll see 'edge cities' or clusters of white collar office employment on the periphery of cities. usually where a couple of major highway arterials intersect

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jobs moved out to the burbs at the same time as people, so most people in the burbs don't ever actually need to go into the city. the problem is entirely because of cultural preferences among moneyed white people to rediscover that living in cities is actually good

this model that everyone works in the city is outdated, in most american metropoles you'll see 'edge cities' or clusters of white collar office employment on the periphery of cities. usually where a couple of major highway arterials intersect

And some times this goes really far out of whack and you have stuff like the Bay Area where a lot of people live in the cities and then commute 30-40 or more miles outward to far flung suburbs of other regional cities to work.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Those are cities in their own right now though, they are hardly comparable by what is traditionally thought of by 'suburbs'. They are filled with mid/high-rises, have high population density, and have their own surroundings suburbs people commute from. The vast majority of work is still done in cities, we just have more of them now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Back at the beginning of the 20th century they didn't need fake progressives to shill for property owners

https://twitter.com/MarketUrbanism/status/610448013585203200?s=09

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Not much of a need to zone for affordable housing when you consider super cramped tenements a legal form of housing as they did back then.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yeah this is an important dynamic. overly residential jurisdictions are nice and quiet and safe, there's not much traffic and generally low crime, but as the population ages out the tax base will stay very low as residential uses are the least tax-producing and most expensive kinds of development. homeowners and landlords like to keep property taxes low, they vote much more aggressively, and residential uses demand expensive things like education, parks, and proximate healthcare that commercial or industrial uses don't care about

it's kind of a wild west situation right now as the lifecycle of communities is a decades-long timeframe and population preferences and movements are shifting the character of communities well within that cyclical period. this is why things like gentrification happen, and i'm certain that in the next decade or so we're going to see a sort of reverse-gentrification

by reverse gentrification i think we're going to see boomers and gen X'ers who moved to nice tract subdivisions end up disappointed. the market demand they count on to keep their suburban home prices up will collapse because of a mismatch in preferences. wealthy millenials pile up on top of each other to live in cities, meaning that outer-ring suburbs are relegated to less-cool millenials who want a yard, recent immigrants, and the formerly urban poor who can't compete in the cities and are forced out to the burbs. i'm not saying that suburban home prices will collapse, but that market pressure which drove home prices up on the outskirts of metros will dissipate, meaning these home prices will stay relatively stagnant, which is going to gently caress over a lot of people who counted on increasing real estate to provide a pseudo retirement fund. so instead of a sudden rise in rents, we're going to see a sudden stagnation in rents in a lot of exurban bedroom communities which is going to be weeeeird

It's pretty much this, cities are expanding causing a lot of infill that naturally leans towards luxury apartments due to land costs because demand has skyrocketed.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I dream of a housing market crash.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pointsofdata posted:

I dream of a housing market crash.

It already happened though?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

sounds like he lives in a city

LA is already over 2005/6 bubble highs in a lot of areas

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just gotta wait it out, or something.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
That graph really should be in real rather than nominal dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
X-posting from PNW thread:

For the data-hungry HUD has a handy median rental prices report you can (in Excel/Sheets) filter by city/metro area. It's even broken down by number of bedrooms.

SFR tops the charts except for Stamford CT, which has the most expensive Studios in all the land. NYC overnight commuters?

• Locked thread