Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm asking on behalf of a friend and unsure if this belongs here or in the science,academics, etc subboard, but anyway here goes:

A friend has received a lot of contradictory information concerning his plans. He is a Belgian student, did a masters in economics here and is going to do a 2-3 years (Finance?) course at a Chicago university.

The way I understand it, this means he will need a F1-student visa. Correct?
Now, people have told him and me some odd things I'd like to double check:

* He cannot travel away from the US for the first academic year (such as in a home visit). Also heard that he can do so but only for a single week.
* He cannot work (at all) for the first year of his enrollment in the US. It is literally illegal to do.

Now we've googled somewhat and these things seem to be false. However, I'd like to be sure for him what he can and cannot do.
So, any direct pointers or trustworthy sources to confirm or deny these and other points concerning an International student visa for the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why isn't his university helping him with this? Do they not have an international student office?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Good question! He did but the (email) answer was "less than useful". Some misunderstandings I think.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why doesn't he register an account and ask

• Locked thread