Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My wife and I got a new puppy a few months ago, she likes to bite things and in an unguarded moment she snatched my wifes passport and nibbled off a corner of the main page. This is a Japanese passport, and in Japan even very minor damage probably invalidates the passport, so she'd have to get a new one. This in itself is not a huge deal, although it's certainly annoying and expensive.

The problem is that my wife really wants to study French for a month this summer, and was about to book a cheap ticket with Qatar airways. Cheap tickets for the dates she wants to go are running out and she really wants to book it now. At the booking website you have to enter a passport number, but she'd have to wait for her new passport to get the correct number.

Can she simply fill in her old number, quickly book a ticket, then later call Qatar airways and have the number changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
She won't even need to call them, just change it when she checks in online. Although I'd call them first to clarify that!

People book flights and travel on different passports (i.e. dual nationality) all the time, or they've lost their passport and they're travelling on a brand new one or even an emergency travel document thingy from their embassy. The airlines don't care and will only stop you travelling if they think the country you're going to will refuse to let you in, because then they have to bring you back for free.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can confirm that it doesn't matter with most/all airlines. British Airways didn't give the slightest gently caress when I renewed my passport in between booking tickets and travelling.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Actually I just called their help line in Qatar, they said that it was basically okay. The only complication was that she will be traveling from Japan and of course there is some retarded Japanese law about passport numbers up front, but he said they could bend the rules and let her change it. Thanks for the replies.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Japan is seriously that anal retentive over passports? I put my US passport through a washing machine and dryer and customs doesn't even blink an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Japan is seriously that anal retentive over passports? I put my US passport through a washing machine and dryer and customs doesn't even blink an eye.

One time, when I was teaching in Japan, classes were canceled for the day because of a typhoon or something, so I was tasked with stamping mailers.

I put one stamp on just a tiny bit crooked. These were just advertisements for some event at the school- essentially a junk mailer- so you would think it wasn't a big deal, right?

WRONG. My school director rushed in all upset after I had finished the stack- she had examined EVERY SINGLE one (there were HUNDREDS) and had noticed that ONE was slightly crooked. She held the offending article out like it was a snake that would bite her. I was then given the stamp and instructed on how to correctly use it and correctly align it...on a piece of SCRAP PAPER because all the actual mailers had been correctly stamped. But I done hosed up once, and my director was visibly sweating. So she made me practice for TWENTY MINUTES.

In short, Japan is ridiculous.

• Locked thread