Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I'm asking this for a friend as he's getting nowhere.

His son is from India, he is currently in Chicago at University studying for his medical degree.

He is on a student visa program.

He needs to get some kind of employment in the medical or pharmaceutical industries in order to further his education, however he can not get a job until he has a working Visa and his father is telling me that he can't get that without having a job (which seems odd)

Do any of you know how this works or have had any experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
He might be able to get employment in a few specific cases as long as he isn't in his first academic year.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services posted:

F-1 (Academic Student Visa) students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment, after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

Might be worth him going down to his local embassy or consulate to see what they say about it.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
He is in his first year.

Does that make it difficult?

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
To me that sounds like it won't be possible for him to get a job then. That website explicitly states "F-1 (Academic Student Visa) students may not work off-campus during the first academic year."

This sounds like he should talk to someone from the school who manages the exchange student program, or whatever program he is enrolled in as a foreign student.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

bad-yeti posted:

His son is from India, he is currently in Chicago at University studying for his medical degree.

He is on a student visa program.

He needs to get some kind of employment in the medical or pharmaceutical industries in order to further his education, however he can not get a job until he has a working Visa and his father is telling me that he can't get that without having a job (which seems odd)

To be sure, he is in medical school now, or is he in a pre-med program and needs experience to help him get into medical school? If he is in medical school, does he have time to work outside of school?

Does he need employment for money or experience?

In general, to get a work visa, you need to have an employer sponsor you.

• Locked thread